Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

I'm sure our opponents will be thanking you for those observations.
  • edited August 2022
    It's doesn't matter that I disagree with you Pudds; Ben Garner does as well ! IF we get someone better who can play the central role then they will get the gig. 
    Or Garner has no choice because he's not being given the opportunity to sign anyone else. 
  • cabbles said:
    Would’ve thought Gilbey to Lincoln would be announced by now 
    Naaa we're keeping him to play him on Sat!
  • shirty5 said:
    DJ wanted by Mk Dons and Lincoln according to Alan Nixon 
    If we can have Scully then great stuff!
  • swordfish said:
    Saw you last post on the Sandgaard thread @AndyG. Pretty much reflects my thoughts as I never thought we wouldn't sign a striker, and still think we will, but the clocks ticking and I think it should be the priority. 

We do still have three available spaces left to fill under the squad number limit though, and that's before letting anyone else go. So I do expect to see plenty more late activity before the window shuts. Snacks needed for deadline day again I fear, if the budget stretches that far of course, which I'm sure it will.
    the super dooper deal phone needs a) a live SIM card and b) charging up

neither likely

keep your snacks for comfort eating as our opponents enjoy the ever widening holes in our threadbare squad
  • DJ is an interesting one, probably 3rd even 4th choice in wide positions right now, obviously scored last night and is one of those players, like Gilbey, that probably hasn't fulfilled his potential with us, but at the same time can probably garner quite a bit of interest from other teams around us
  • Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

The ‘lols’ I got for that suggestion at the start of the window!
    Still think he would be a great signing.
  • shirty5 said:
    why does anybody read, let alone repeat, this know nothing's baseless dribble? 
  • So are Lincoln after both Gilbey and DJ?
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    I know it’s Nixon but as Garner said all players could go if we get a good offer and he’s someone that isn’t playing regularly, with everyone fit he’s not even guaranteed to get in the match day squad.

The way Garner and TS have spoken it wouldn’t be surprising to see one or two squad players go in order to increase the budget to strengthen the squad overall. A striker who can play out wide could improve us without DJ going having a big impact.
  • It's doesn't matter that I disagree with you Pudds; Ben Garner does as well ! IF we get someone better who can play the central role then they will get the gig. 
    You have no idea whether BG agrees or not. He may have looked at the project and decided to push with the wider changes to get the playing style implemented and leaving JS in place unless an offer came in to get him off the wage bill, or thinks, stick with it and if it doesn't work perhaps budget will come available in Jan.
  • Don't want any "has beens" here. They simply do not work. 
  • It's doesn't matter that I disagree with you Pudds; Ben Garner does as well ! IF we get someone better who can play the central role then they will get the gig. 
    Or Garner has no choice because he's not being given the opportunity to sign anyone else. 

Yes obviously, what League 1 manager wouldn't want better players in the striker role ? That is a Shay Given. 
    Managers at any level alway want the top strikers available.
    Aneke injuries yet again are highlighting the problem of a Quintessential centre Forward like Jayden who will score in a cluster but will have barren spells with guys around who will only chip in with a few goals and there will be games where we look bereft in front of goals. Though no one noticed both goals from Rak and Corey came from efforts from Stockley that the keepers couldn't hold on to. The save in the Plymouth game was top notch from a powerful header by JS.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

Well, thank you for sharing our plan for the world to see 😂😂

Yes obviously, what League 1 manager wouldn't want better players in the striker role ? That is a Shay Given. 
    Aneke injuries yet again are highlighting the problem of a Quintessential centre Forward like Jayden who will score in a cluster but will have barren spells with guys around who will only chip in with a few goals and there will be games where we look bereft in front of goals. Though no one noticed both goals from Rak and Corey came from efforts from Stockley that the keepers couldn't hold on to. The save in the Plymouth game was top notch from a powerful header by JS.
    Corey's goal came from Morgan.

Rak's goal header was straight at the keeper, should be scoring.
    Fraser's goal, poor control, worse "shot", would have been better if he tried to pass to Fraser.
  • sam3110 said:
    DJ is an interesting one, probably 3rd even 4th choice in wide positions right now, obviously scored last night and is one of those players, like Gilbey, that probably hasn't fulfilled his potential with us, but at the same time can probably garner quite a bit of interest from other teams around us

If DJ can Garner interest from Ben then he will stay. Every player is open for offers especially one with a couple of years left on his Contract which will bring in money.
  • edited August 2022
    shirty5 said:
    Hearing they were interested in bringing him in for their Carabao Cup runs until they realised he’s cup tied! 
  • The players we’re actively looking to move on like Gilbey and JFC won’t command any fee. The ones we have that we’d consider moving on who might command a fee are DJ and Kirk. League One clubs who might be interested won’t be looking to pay fees at all, like us, and Championship clubs won’t be interested at all. Yes Kirk to Blackpool is a slight possibility but they don’t seem in much of a hurry to secure him. Unless we get a biggish offer for someone like Clare or Dobson I can’t see how we’re getting in extra funds and either of those two going would be a blow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Don't want any "has beens" here. They simply do not work. 
    Have the has beens been really any worse than the rest of the dross we have had in the last decade?
  • edited August 2022

The players we’re actively looking to move on like Gilbey and JFC won’t command any fee. The ones we have that we’d consider moving on who might command a fee are DJ and Kirk. League One clubs who might be interested won’t be looking to pay fees at all, like us, and Championship clubs won’t be interested at all. Yes Kirk to Blackpool is a slight possibility but they don’t seem in much of a hurry to secure him. Unless we get a biggish offer for someone like Clare or Dobson I can’t see how we’re getting in extra funds and either of those two going would be a blow. 
    As I said above, losing one of Clare, Dobson or CBT would be worth it if we can then bring in a mobile striker like Lyle Taylor (but not him). We have cover for those three, but we lack a mobile striker.
  • edited August 2022
    Southbank said:

The players we’re actively looking to move on like Gilbey and JFC won’t command any fee. The ones we have that we’d consider moving on who might command a fee are DJ and Kirk. League One clubs who might be interested won’t be looking to pay fees at all, like us, and Championship clubs won’t be interested at all. Yes Kirk to Blackpool is a slight possibility but they don’t seem in much of a hurry to secure him. Unless we get a biggish offer for someone like Clare or Dobson I can’t see how we’re getting in extra funds and either of those two going would be a blow. 
    As I said above, losing one of Clare, Dobson or CBT would be worth it if we can then bring in a mobile striker like Lyle Taylor (but not him). We have cover for those three, but we lack a mobile striker.
    Do we have cover for Clare or Dobson? - Adequate cover I mean

As against Derby, we had McGrandles | Morgan instead of George Dobson and looked shite, Aaron Henry isnt quite there yet either - Sean Clare, again we dont really know if we have cover... Egbo may not be up to it, and Chin isnt ready to be playing every week

So it's not proof that Garner disagrees then is it? It's merely proof that Stockley is the best man for the job out of the available options, which are almost non-existent. 

I agree though that Stockley's presence should help others and already has. Although the save from the Plymouth keeper for the JRS goal was pretty routine. 
  • Southbank said:

As against Derby, we had McGrandles | Morgan instead of George Dobson and looked shite, Aaron Henry isnt quite there yet either - Sean Clare, again we dont really know if we have cover... Egbo may not be up to it, and Chin isnt ready to be playing every week
    If we sold one of them for a decent fee we could probably get a loan in to directly replace them.  Not perfect but...
  • Southbank said:

We'd definitely need another FB in if Clare left, although I'd go for a LB as we'd still be better equipped at RB. We'd also need to replace Dobson. Have to admit I'd accept 1mil for anybody if it means we could sign 2/3 in their place. 
  • If it was DJ out and Anthony Scully coming in from Lincoln then I can understand the thinking. Otherwise it seems an odd one. 
  • Oh I agree, if we can move on Clare / Dobson and get a replacement for those two as well as a Striker then great

But I wouldnt move on those two for a Striker, without replacing them too
  • Oh I agree, if we can move on Clare / Dobson and get a replacement for those two as well as a Striker then great

But I wouldnt move on those two for a Striker, without replacing them too
    Agreed, that wouldn't necessarily make us better, not when both are first team starters. 
  • I personally wouldn’t be fussed if Jay left, much in the ilk of Gilbey, player there somewhere but not really set the world on fire.
    thought yesterday he was also poor apart from a few moments.