Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• MacGillivray not starting cup games suggests he's also likely to go 

So that's 3 sets of wages freed up (although we may have to subsidise JFK) 

Garner keeps mentioning every player having a price so wouldn't be shocked if one of Kirk/Clare/CBT/Dobson/DJ went IF the price was right ...not that I'd like to see any of them go. 

If someone goes for a fee then I'd expect an attacker to come in for a fee. Otherwise any budget saved goes on loans. 
  • We understand Charlton are keen to tie Sean Clare down to a new contract. Norwich, Huddersfield and Sunderland are monitoring his situation. 

https://twitter.com/footballleaguew/status/1562368015739625472?s=21&t=ahJxngz8amdlsnrzKVO08g
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    any possibility that league cup prize money and a home draw v a top 6 prem side (particularly if it gets televised) could potentially change the budget enough to make a difference or just wishful thinking?
    Isn't the prize money for winning the league cup 100k?
    No, that's how much a Cat A ticket will be if we get Man City at home
  • ButtleJR said:
    Maybe he is a defender then? And perhaps he did more last season than just look good carrying the ball out of defence past no one?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:
    Good news for Lincoln, straight in the team.
    That's because he is a good player.

Letting Gilbey go is a mistake.

I'll take the hit if I prove to be wrong.

He hasn't done it for us, but we are letting a good player go.  Better than Morgan, better than Kirk, better than McGrandles, better than Jaiyesimi.

Mistake.

So you admit he's been crap for us, but you still want to keep him? 

How anyone can pass judgement of McGrandles is beyond me. He's played like 60mins of football...
    Dog in the manger
  • Did mention that Championship teams love a RB in Clare's mould. Could see him moving on for £1m + at some stage personally (if on a good contract term). Hope not, as it's noticeable when he is not in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Saw you last post on the Sandgaard thread @AndyG. Pretty much reflects my thoughts as I never thought we wouldn't sign a striker, and still think we will, but the clocks ticking and I think it should be the priority. 

We do still have three available spaces left to fill under the squad number limit though, and that's before letting anyone else go. So I do expect to see plenty more late activity before the window shuts. Snacks needed for deadline day again I fear, if the budget stretches that far of course, which I'm sure it will.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Fwiw, I’d get him, CBT and Dobson on longer contracts immediately if we can.
    Didnt we put CBT onto a longer contract after his initial short-term contract when JJ was put in charge? Thought it took us til the end of next season from my memory, when does it expire?
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Didnt we put CBT onto a longer contract after his initial short-term contract when JJ was put in charge? Thought it took us til the end of next season from my memory, when does it expire?
    The extension was done last year, so runs until the end of this season

Morgan's contract also expires next summer
  • edited August 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    This may be controversial, but I would be prepared to sell any one of them for 1m if it meant we could buy a really mobile striker, like Lyle Taylor (but not him).
    Such a player would make more of a positive impact than the loss of any one of the three, although I do like all three of them.
  • edited August 2022
    Swisdom said:
    as much as as much as I have wanted it to work with a Gilbey it just hasn’t clicked. Too often he doesn’t affect the game in any way and it is probably time to part ways now.  He needs to kickstart his career elsewhere.

I similar to you Swisdom, thought the Ipswich home game in front of a big crowd when he was superb, was going to be the turning point but it wasn't unfortunately and when he did the two identical yellow cards in the Lincoln game when he didn't even need to foul made even me go against him and I had been fighting his cause since he joined.
    He could still do well for a League 1 or 2 club but he needs a new club to kick start his career and find some consistency.
    He did have good games for Cafc but he lost his way and I wondered if there was issues off the pitch as his concentration did waver as he wandered lonely as a cloud ?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

• edited August 2022
    RC_CAFC said:

The same 3 players I picked out last season that needed to be on contracts that were decent. Clare had to be the RB for me. I try to predict someone's best position and Clare was something that Matthews and Purrington wasn't? He wasn't slow so Sean can rescue his self when he makes a mistake like he did Saturday even though he had to take a booking.

Clare put over a great cross last season at the valley down the right flank for an assist.
    He has bags of confidence after his cracking goal against Plymouth and now has no problem in the attacking RB position unlike at Oxford when Robinson told him to Calm down, Calm down, soft lad when moving Sean from midfield to RB.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

That is definitely the plan for playing 4-3-3 with the attacking midfielder supporting as well as the forward from the other flank getting into the box to get nearer to Stockley so he isn't isolated. Goals from Corey Blackett-Taylor and Rak Sakyi from efforts on goal from Jayden  have shown how Garner is trying to get this through to the players. The Plymouth game is the only match it has worked for 90+ minutes and that was against 10 men so more space available.

Lots of pressure on Stockley, as he is leading the line well and is fitting in to the system but he has to score goals as well and not quite going in at the moment.
    The amount of games, minutes we get out of Aneke will make or break our season even if they are 30 minute cameos including added time as I can't see a striker on the wage available coming into the club in this window.
    Maybe in Jan, Thomas may be able to take a gamble with a six month loan if we are top 8 to push us on with a goal scoring forward that will blend in with the Managers idea of play ?

We live in hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    On contracts we have 1 year options we can extend for Dobson, CBT and AMB. Their contracts all expire next summer.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/627a6ccb2ae05/retained-list-club-trigger-one-year-extension-on-forster-caskey-contract
    I'd forgotten that at the time we were still negotiating with Purrington, so it wasn't as if the club had decided from the start that he was surplus
  • Interesting...
  • shirty5 said:
    felix_31 said:
    As someone has already mentioned - Tyreece Simpson on loan.  Not a rumour, I just think it makes sense. 

Do we want to guess who the CB could be?  
    Simpson will be playing Championship football by the start of next month 
    Do you think he'll get into the 18 at a Championship club?  I would assume any Champ club that gets him would look to get him tied down long-term, and then loan him out for a couple of seasons or until ready.  He's only really scored in League 2, I think? 
  • WHAddick said:
    Interesting...
    what is?
  • Would’ve thought Gilbey to Lincoln would be announced by now 
  • edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Rothko said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:
    Good news for Lincoln, straight in the team.
    That's because he is a good player.

Letting Gilbey go is a mistake.

I'll take the hit if I prove to be wrong.

He hasn't done it for us, but we are letting a good player go.  Better than Morgan, better than Kirk, better than McGrandles, better than Jaiyesimi.

Mistake.

still spouting utter nonsense
    In your opinion.

Well ... it's not really your opinion, is it?  It's just another bandwagon that you have jumped on.

Try to be a bit quicker next time.
    haha, bless you, I'll stay constantly logged on with alerts so that I  can reply to your next sherry-soaked wibble quicker. 
    FWIW, which don't amount to huge hill of beans, but it's my hill, and they're my beans, I hate to see a player leave when we've not had the best out of them. It happens too often. Gilbey has undoubtedly been Charltoniszed and may well return to do us harm. If he goes elsewhere in L1 on loan, we need to make sure he can't play against us. 
  • cabbles said:
    Would’ve thought Gilbey to Lincoln would be announced by now 
    Unless it was all made up 🤷‍♂️
  • It's doesn't matter that I disagree with you Pudds; Ben Garner does as well ! IF we get someone better who can play the central role then they will get the gig.