Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I’d guess the likes of Pierre and McKirdy maybe alternates to Sarr and Simpson.
  • I feel like we are probably going to get a young PL loan centre back, as they are more likely to fit the ball playing centre back role. I don’t know much about Pierre but looking at his previous clubs I’m not sure he would fit what Garner will want 
  • Scoham said:
    I see latest Tyreece Simpson rumours are that Huddersfield will win the race bit may then loam him to L1.  Barnsley and Peterborough linked.but you would think we would look at that if possible.
    I can't see Huddersfield buying a player from one division below them to immediately loan him out again. They don't have the sort of financial resources to do that, they need to improve their current side
    Different level but they signed Kyle Hudlin from Solihull (5th tier) and loaned him to Wimbledon. You'd think Simpson would be a similar signing, a player for the future rather than to immediately improve their first team.
    They did the same when they signed Sorba Thomas from Boreham Wood

He went straight out on loan to Harrogate
    Those 2 were non league punts from 3 divisions down for not much money though, like us signing someone from Dartford or Welling
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    If TS doesn't want to lose £8m next year he should invest money in acquiring two saleable assets that appreciate in value.

That way he won't be wasting money, he'll be investing it.

The more wins.  The higher gate receipts, Valley pass purchases, TV money, potential Championship promotion.

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

McKirdy more likely to not lose value v Stockton 

Buy McKirdy

It isn't actually rocket science.

It’s so simple, why doesn’t every club do that.

Peterborough still lose around £7-8m a year and have spent most of the last 15 years in L1, we should copy them.
    Because football club owners think.they know best when very few of them have football experience.

Posh also have not spent most of the last 15 seasons in League 1 and do NOT lose £7-8m per year.

Get your facts right first.....
    11 of their last 15 seasons in L1 so yeah most of the time in L1. I’ll have word with my Posh supporting mate for giving me duff info on their losses. 

Genuine question though, if it’s so simple and it’s foolproof why doesn’t every club do it?
    I think almost all the clubs that can afford to do it.  Most clubs aren't very good at it then get gittery and become more conservative, the same way most managers do.
  • shirty5 said:

Not sure we’d want to bring him back, I think he might be past his best.
  • shirty5 said:

He'd play more games than A&Eke...
  • Scoham said:
    I see latest Tyreece Simpson rumours are that Huddersfield will win the race bit may then loam him to L1.  Barnsley and Peterborough linked.but you would think we would look at that if possible.
    I can't see Huddersfield buying a player from one division below them to immediately loan him out again. They don't have the sort of financial resources to do that, they need to improve their current side
    Different level but they signed Kyle Hudlin from Solihull (5th tier) and loaned him to Wimbledon. You'd think Simpson would be a similar signing, a player for the future rather than to immediately improve their first team.

No they didn’t, he went straight in the Huddersfield team, not sure where you’re getting this from. 
  • Lyle Taylor can leave on a free according to Forest today 
    I think there’s more chance of me signing for. Charlton, and I’m in my 50’s!!!
  • edited August 2022
    buckshee said:
    Scoham said:

No they didn’t, he went straight in the Huddersfield team, not sure where you’re getting this from. 
    I remember him signing for them
    and going straight to Harrogate on loan. I've wiki'd it and it doesn't mention the loan. Weird!

edit

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-harrogate-have-agreed-to-sign-huddersfield-town-forward/?amp

It must have fallen through 

• He definitely didn't go to Harrogate on loan. He was in and around their team but mainly a sub when he first signed, and then last year was a regular.
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:
    Scoham said:

I remember him signing for them
    and going straight to Harrogate on loan. I've wiki'd it and it doesn't mention the loan. Weird!

Yeah my bad too - I'm glad it isn't just me that remembers that though
  • He definitely didn't go to Harrogate on loan. He was in and around their team but mainly a sub when he first signed, and then last year was a regular.
    That is correct. We tried to sign him. The then Huddersfield manager decided to not send him out on loan and he got in and around the first team. 
  • shirty5 said:

He'd play more games than A&Eke...

• DOUCHER said:
    I actually see that interview by garner as moving us a step closer to signing mkirdy - if u take all the fluff out of the interview it basically says publicly that garner wants to sign him - everything else we already knew about really 
    What I thought really. My main take away was we haven't got disposable cash in the budget to pay a transfer fee for a player when we have at least two players on the wage bill that the manager doesn't want to be here (Gilbey and JFC... and possibly McGillivray too) and potentially at least another one that had been budgeted not to be here (Kirk). We presumably knew that Garner rates McKirdy based in the tune he got out of him last season. We also knew we need to churn the squad to see more inflow. I'm not sure there's anything new apart from to actually put in black and white that Garner would like to bring McKirdy in if he could.
    exactly - having 2 or 3 players sitting doing nothing whilst depreciating in value is poor business so the priority is to offload and put pressure on them to go - buying a striker who may well help add the extra bit needed to get promoted and who should have a sell on value who is recommended by a manager who appears to know his onions is good investment - i expect TS will know that and we will sign a striker regardless of whether we get rid first, regardless of whats being said
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    If TS doesn't want to lose £8m next year he should invest money in acquiring two saleable assets that appreciate in value.

That way he won't be wasting money, he'll be investing it.

The more wins.  The higher gate receipts, Valley pass purchases, TV money, potential Championship promotion.

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

McKirdy more likely to not lose value v Stockton 

Buy McKirdy

It isn't actually rocket science.

It’s so simple, why doesn’t every club do that.

Peterborough still lose around £7-8m a year and have spent most of the last 15 years in L1, we should copy them.
    Because football club owners think.they know best when very few of them have football experience.

Posh also have not spent most of the last 15 seasons in League 1 and do NOT lose £7-8m per year.

Get your facts right first.....
    Actually, Peterborough have spent 4 in the Championship and 11 in League 1.   
  • TEL said:
    I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
    Plus of course if a striker is coming on loan then you'd assume it's because he's got almost zero chance of playing at his own club. So playing a bit for us is obviously better than nothing at wherever he is.
    I think there is a great opportunity for someone to come in and make the CF position their own. 
  • edited August 2022
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
    Plus of course if a striker is coming on loan then you'd assume it's because he's got almost zero chance of playing at his own club. So playing a bit for us is obviously better than nothing at wherever he is.
    I think there is a great opportunity for someone to come in and make the CF position their own. 
    agreed - as has been said a million times - stockley is decent at what target men do - but he isn't ideal for what we are doing and is a definite position to be upgraded if we are to get promoted - regardless of all the guff about others scoring and wide forwards arriving at the back post and all that - if you don't have a striker playing on the shoulder, you've lost half your attacking options  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    I personally think JFC has something to offer, and I don’t mean in a Ben Watson kind of way.
    When the games come thick and fast in the winter and injuries hit, he’d be a good player to have around the squad, to come on with ten to go and steady the ship to a win or point, fending off the onslaught from some northern outpost team. 
  • shirty5 said:

He’d be worth signing for his inside track on transfer dealings alone. 
  • Valley11 said:
    I personally think JFC has something to offer, and I don’t mean in a Ben Watson kind of way.
    When the games come thick and fast in the winter and injuries hit, he’d be a good player to have around the squad, to come on with ten to go and steady the ship to a win or point, fending off the onslaught from some northern outpost team. 
    I thought JFC would have been a good option to bring on at the weekend when things weren't really working. 

Every game this season we've made similar subs which makes things a bit predictable 
  • Valley11 said:
    I thought JFC would have been a good option to bring on at the weekend when things weren't really working. 

Every game this season we've made similar subs which makes things a bit predictable 
    I have always liked JFC, but we need a striker more. I think Henry is ready to play some of the same kind of role as a sub.
  • DOUCHER said:
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    agreed - as has been said a million times - stockley is decent at what target men do - but he isn't ideal for what we are doing and is a definite position to be upgraded if we are to get promoted - regardless of all the guff about others scoring and wide forwards arriving at the back post and all that - if you don't have a striker playing on the shoulder, you've lost half your attacking options  
    Remains to be seen if those at the club feel the same. I think they may have snookered themselves by making Stockley captain. Having said that Pearce was dropped fairly frequently 

Stockley comes across as a really nice bloke but whilst playing all he seems to do is give a thumbs up when acknowledging a good ball he failed to connect to or waving his arms about and whining. As good a target man he undoubtedly is, it doesn't suit this game plan. 
  • JFC's blockbuster/beckham style of passing won't suit this team. It showed v QPR with the numbed of flat angles balls delivered straight to the opposition goalie.
  • TEL said:
    DOUCHER said:
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    Remains to be seen if those at the club feel the same. I think they may have snookered themselves by making Stockley captain. Having said that Pearce was dropped fairly frequently 

Stockley comes across as a really nice bloke but whilst playing all he seems to do is give a thumbs up when acknowledging a good ball he failed to connect to or waving his arms about and whining. As good a target man he undoubtedly is, it doesn't suit this game plan. 
    Stockley to me seems a good captain off the pitch, but is a bit moany and self centred on the pitch for a captain
  • edited August 2022
    What happens before the famous slamming shut will potentially be massive for the club. 
    No signings, and I think we struggle to make the play offs.
    The right signings and we’ll be in with a decent shout. 
    Peterborough, Ipswich, Wednesday and Portsmouth look to have very strong squads, and will probably finish above us. Then there’s Bolton and Derby. 
    Sandgaard would be crazy not to invest right now.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    CafcSCP said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    It's really not a big deal for me tbh. We've got a better team than we did last year. And the year before. And a better coach. If we don't have 500k to spend on a fourth striker, then ok. We've had worse problems. 
    ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

I think we will get another attacker in for what it’s worth, but we’re in such a better place than this time last year.
    Definitely in a better place, but if we’d not let Washington go, then I’d say playoffs would be a good shout based on our performances so far.
    Genuine question as I don’t know the answer.

Was it purely a case of we said ‘we don’t want you anymore.’ Or did he say he wanted to explore other options?

Fwiw, I liked Washington but I don’t think he fits this system particularly. He was always rubbish out wide and his shooting/hold up play/heading were not good enough to play in the strikers position.

I believe he was on quite high wages so probably has helped pay for at least 2 new signings.
    Not sure about his wages. He was signed when we were under an embargo like Gilbey.
    From what I am told he was quite outspoken and a certain person doesn’t like that.