Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Worth remembering that during a transfer window Garner will need to play a bit of gamesmanship in the media, we have spoken to Swindon about McKirdy already. If they have a valuation too high we may go back and offer something closer to the deadline if another club doesn't meet that valuation. A team like Swindon will need funds and may drop their asking price if it looks like they won't get it.

Personally I don't think McKirdy would be the fantastic signing that some do, maybe Gallen and others agree with me, worth a punt at a good price but not worth paying over the odds for.
    Yes, there maybe an element of gamesmanship/poker playing but the club expected to sell Kirk to Blackpool as was agreed and to move on Gilby and JFC.

None of those have happened, yet, so the budget is stretched.

We did get money for Davison and Pope and maybe some others like Aygemang but we're still going to lose £8m

But Sandgaard brings this on himself by overpromising then underdelivering. It undermines Garner just as it did Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson.

It's meant to be the other way round Thomas.  UNDER promise, OVER deliver.  We're not American, we don't do cheerleaders or t-shirts being shot into the ground or over the top promises.   

JUST WIN GAMES

However, the window hasn't closed, @Covered_End_Lad sources are still saying a CB and a forward so we shall see.

I share people's frustration but Golfie saying he'd laugh if Stockley broke his leg is as perverse as it is stupid. I know he wasn't saying he'd laugh about the break itself but to enjoy a player's injury because he thinks it will prove him right (it won't) is just nasty.

Think you are confusing me with buttlejr who speaks directly to TS. 
    Thanks, Edited
  • sammy391 said:
    It’s slightly worrying that there is literally zero money for transfers without selling someone.
    Did we end up getting cash for Pope?
    Hooefully we can move on Gilbey and/or JFC in time. 
    Sandgaard once talked about being happy to meet Muir ‘for a coffee’ to talk about investment. Seems clear to me that someone bringing in a few million might make all the difference right now. Whether anyone would be interested is another matter. 
  • Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    blah blah blah...
  • Makes me think we’re not a big fish in this league now just a middle of the road league one side.  Glass definitely half empty atm.  Like seeing the youth given a chance so one positive but glaring gaps in this squad!  What with the falling attendances & rising prices & TS not listening to common sense I actually feel on a downer with Charlton which I’ve never actually felt before!  No CEO, Bully boy still employed & endorsed by the owner, long standing staff dismissed at will.  Sorry about my negativity but feeling totally disengaged with the club!  
  • edited August 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Rothko said:

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    blah blah blah...
    Fancy laughing at charlton having an injury crisis too, are you even charlton if you do that?
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We arent a bottomless pit of money. 

Being annoyed or whatever is laughable... its frustrating as you want the club to sign the best but if we are keeping to a budget then so be it...be financially viable for the future or in ruin in 2-3 seasons cause we spent needlessly?

Could be a smokescreen to not give away our financial position or just keeping the purse strings nice and tight. Best wait and see what i looks like when the transfer window slams shut.  
    Unless you believe that commercial income will increase massively being in league 1 for another 2-3 years is not financially viable either.

I am not annoyed but I really can't get my head round the fact we can't sign someone until we off load someone else.  When that player had his contract renewed 10 weeks ago. 
    No it wont but that still doesnt make it viable to chuck money at anything and everything. No doubt we need to get out this division to increase income but if we dont then we need to be as financially secure as possible to cope with being stuck here. 
    I don't think anyone is asking him to chuck money at everything and anything.

If we don't sign that striker, even on loan, we are highly unlikely to, or would have to be incredibly lucky to, get promoted.

If its for the cost of JFCs wages, that seem to be the narrative. One why renew his contract if the budget is so tight? Two if 200k(ish) is the difference between giving it a proper go and not it doesn't bode well. 

Yes 200k is a substantial amount of real money and no its not my money but its not costing be millions to stand still.  That's not viable which everway you spin it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Rothko said:

That's nice you'll laugh your arse off if one of our players breaks their leg.  :(

but it would be less likely that 3 of 3 are injured at the same time compared to 2 of 3 CB when one is Inniss.

You must have a short memory because only 6 months ago we were without 3 strikers as they were all out injured  !!  

And I wasnt laughing if Stockley breaks a leg fgs......laughing that we've had 4 months to bring in a striker after letting 2 go but it seems its not important as a CB  - when we've just loaned one out !!

I'll remind you when we lose games because our forward line is light & we end up relying on Kirk & Clare to score our goals.
  • edited August 2022
    Publicly stating your budget part 838:

No one does, and no one should, announce that we plan to spend money or you get your pants pulled down during any potential negotiations, it basic business.  

This isn’t me saying we will spend a fee, this is me just saying don’t get too carried away by routine interviews with the local press about our available funds.  
    Repeating that fact part 834

They all know exactly what each others budget is.  It's not a secret.
  • I read the Garner article differently. The priority is a CB which is likely to be the only one coming in as things currently stand. The CB may command a transfer fee, that we don't know but what we do know is above and beyond a CB there isn't any money for a forward unless there is movement outwards. So there may currently be money in the transfer kitty for a CB but not for anymore incomings unless there are outgoings. If somebody like Kirk was to be sold then I would expect a fee to be paid for a permanent forward but if we are jusy relying on Gilbey/JFC to go out on loan or for next to nothing I would expect the incoming forward to be a young loanee. 
    Despite the tone of the article I can still see two coming in but three is highly unlikely.
  • Worth remembering that during a transfer window Garner will need to play a bit of gamesmanship in the media, we have spoken to Swindon about McKirdy already. If they have a valuation too high we may go back and offer something closer to the deadline if another club doesn't meet that valuation. A team like Swindon will need funds and may drop their asking price if it looks like they won't get it.

Personally I don't think McKirdy would be the fantastic signing that some do, maybe Gallen and others agree with me, worth a punt at a good price but not worth paying over the odds for.
    Yes, there maybe an element of gamesmanship/poker playing but the club expected to sell Kirk to Blackpool as was agreed and to move on Gilby and JFC.

None of those have happened, yet, so the budget is stretched.

We did get money for Davison and Pope and maybe some others like Aygemang but we're still going to lose £8m

But Sandgaard brings this on himself by overpromising then underdelivering. It undermines Garner just as it did Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson.

It's meant to be the other way round Thomas.  UNDER promise, OVER deliver.  We're not American, we don't do cheerleaders or t-shirts being shot into the ground or over the top promises, we do cardigans

JUST WIN GAMES

However, the window hasn't closed, @Covered_End_Lad sources are still saying a CB and a forward so we shall see.

I share people's frustration but Golfie saying he'd laugh if Stockley broke his leg is as perverse as it is stupid. I know he wasn't saying he'd laugh about the break itself but to enjoy a player's injury because he thinks it will prove him right (it won't) is just nasty.

Fixed this for you 
  • Redhenry said:
    Rothko said:

blah blah blah...
    Insightful comment. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Publicly stating your budget part 838:

No one does, and no one should, announce that we plan to spend money or you get your pants pulled down during any potential negotiations, it basic business.  

This isn’t me saying we will spend a fee, this is me just saying don’t get too carried away by routine interviews with the local press about our available funds.  
    Repeating that fact part 834

They all know exactly what each others budget is.  It's not a secret.
    How?  Clubs budgets changed throughout the window surely it’s guess work?
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy_Mix said:
    sammy391 said:
    Only if you ignore about half of it.
    "IF"  anybody is sold for a fee then there's room in the squad numbers limit and the possibility of paying a fee to acquire a new player

That's nothing new is it?  We've known all summer that Sandgaard's purse strings are not the only constraints on recruitment.

What is Garner supposed to say?

How useful would it be for him to say "... I've got 1.5 to 2 mill waiting to sign the players.."?  Straightaway the cost of any player is £2M innit?

FWIW I doubt there's £200 for fees and we won't see any incoming at all, certainly no paid for acquisitions.  We're looking at 4 months with critical shortages up front and in both fullback berths, plus we're one injury or suspension away from having to rely on Inniss!!  Who reminded us on Saturday just how inconsistent he is and how bad his bad spells can be.
    I think there might be a bit of poker playing going on here as I don’t think TS would be with BG making such comments otherwise , my guess is these statements are aimed at agents to make it sound like we are skint 
  • edited August 2022
    Rothko said:

That's nice you'll laugh your arse off if one of our players breaks their leg.  :(

but it would be less likely that 3 of 3 are injured at the same time compared to 2 of 3 CB when one is Inniss.

You must have a short memory because only 6 months ago we were without 3 strikers as they were all out injured  !!  

And I wasnt laughing if Stockley breaks a leg fgs......laughing that we've had 4 months to bring in a striker after letting 2 go but it seems its not important as a CB  - when we've just loaned one out !!

I'll remind you when we lose games because our forward line is light & we end up relying on Kirk & Clare to score our goals.
    A few weeks ago you were saying our squad was miles behind and we'd be playing catch-up this season. That was just before the QPR game, then our second string beat a Champ side.
  • CB is a priority and i wonder if Garner is looking for an experienced head and leader - Possibly someone like Gary Cahill or Alex Baptiste as free agents would be on the radar ? 
  • CB is a priority and i wonder if Garner is looking for an experienced head and leader - Possibly someone like Gary Cahill or Alex Baptiste as free agents would be on the radar ? 
    If Gary Cahill would take a huge pay decrease he'd be superb for a season or 2
    Have a word with yourself. BG & TS have said that to free up wages we have to let a player leave. Signing Cahill would mean letting all 22 players leave.

I do wonder which planet some people are on. 
  • Rothko said:
    Redhenry said:
    Rothko said:

blah blah blah...
    Insightful comment. 
    You want a player to be injured to prove you right, so fuck off will ya
    I do wish people would read what others write. Of course I don't want anyone to get injured, but these things happen. Already we've had Egbo & Aneke miss the start of the season and now CBT & MaGrandells are injured too.

Do you not think its could be in the world of possibility that Stockley gets injured at any point during the season.....maybe his back goes again ?
  • Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

So can I remind you what you were saying just a few weeks ago, that our squad was miles behind and we'd be playing catch-up this season? That was just before the QPR game, when our second string beat a Champ side.
    Oh well, just because we beat a Championship side then our squad is complete. Pull up the drawbridge & let Garner know we don't need anyone else.