Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• As I say, I see merits for both but always interested to see others opinions. 

Stockleys lack of form and Anekes injury issues then a case could be made for someone who is the out and out striker like Stockton who has had 2 good goal scoring seasons in league 1 with a relegation threatened team. £600k is quite steep though.

McKirdy being so versatile is a massive plus point. Plus I think his shithouse tactics could be ideal as we dont have any " nasty" players. Swindon could sell him on the cheap due to the financial issues! 
  • As I say, I see merits for both but always interested to see others opinions. 

Stockleys lack of form and Anekes injury issues then a case could be made for someone who is the out and out striker like Stockton who has had 2 good goal scoring seasons in league 1 with a relegation threatened team. £600k is quite steep though.

McKirdy being so versatile is a massive plus point. Plus I think his shithouse tactics could be ideal as we dont have any " nasty" players. Swindon could sell him on the cheap due to the financial issues! 
    Oh yeah, and he's a horrible little fucker, and we need one of those 
  • Scully a very good player. Scores goals and gets assists. Would really be happy if we do sign him
  • I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
    Because he plays for Swindon, Stockton doesn't!
  • edited August 2022
    Cawley has also ruled us out of signing McKirdy and Stockton.

• Wouldn’t take what Cawley says as gospel - just what the club want to put out - there has been virtually no leaks this year and on that basis I don’t see why they would want to feed their plans to Cawley - I’m 100% certain we need another striker but I’d say 50/50 as to whether we are going to get one - nobody other than the very inner sanctum seems to know although a poster on here a bit earlier seems to but how ?? and via who ? an agent ? A player ???? an opposing team / reporter ?? 
  • Surely the 'unless some of fringe mids move on' phrase is important here when Gilbey is rumouring to be moving soon.
    Obviously means we need to shift JFC on too, not just gilbey 
  • basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

• Sponsored links:

• It'll be a loan deal from a championship or prem team for a forward on the last day of the window
  • I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
    It'll be a loan deal from a championship or prem team for a forward on the last day of the window
    If all our targets were missed for whatever reason then I think the above is likely and sensible. We need to get in the right player not just a player if we’re going to spend money on them. It’s a shame if we’ve missed out because we’re very exposed to injury and suspensions but that’s life in league one. I guess if that’s the case the hope is to hang in there until January and try again. 
  • I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
  • edited August 2022
    I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
     Because we need a front three that are interchangeable between attacks. Think Mane, Salah & Firminho - but more CBT, McKirdy & Rak Sakyi
  • In response to the Stockton rumours:

Alongside the cost (both transfer / wages) and the almost-certainly-zero resell value, this highlights the other issue with Stockton.

He'd be a good fit from purely a player perspective *IF* we didn't have Stockley and Stockley wasn't the captain. Stockton wouldn't want to sign to play second fiddle to Stockley, and Stockley would have the hump if Garner picked Stockton if Stockley was fit. I'd have Stockton over Stockley if I had to choose (more clinical, better movement, better L1 scoring record), but I think it could potentially be very disruptive to the squad if we signed Stockton. Sadly, Stockton doesn't feel like a fit for everything other than purely footballing reasons.

McKirdy sounds like the one that might happen now, but dependent on shifting Gilbey and JFC. Gilbey sounds close to finding a move, but not much on JFC. Pretty crazy for JFC, considering he was our PotS before he got crocked. However, if it was a choice between keeping JFC or another striker like McKirdy, the latter is very much the better option. Just someone needs to pony up the cash to allow us to move for the additional lad up front.
  • If we could bring in why would he not play every week. he clearly will be ahead of Aneke and Leeburn and if he proves better then ahead of Stokley as well. The problem is that will cost money.
  • sam3110 said:
    Also Garner has worked with McKirdy before, he hasn't worked with Stockton 
    They are also totally different types of player 
  • Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Don't know but Troll1956 will be along soon to say it's too much as he's always injured
  • edited August 2022
    Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Not sure, but strongly expect the next deal he gets will be pay as you play. If he’s unavailable for a large tranch of this first half of the season, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to try and loan him out in Jan 

Very insightful haha
  • Scoham said:
    He broke his hand on Tuesday! Not the weekend ffs. I don't think it makes any difference to Gilbey staying or going. 
  • cabbles said:
    Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Not sure, but strongly expect the next deal he gets will be pay as you play. If he’s unavailable for a large tranch of this first half of the season, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to try and loan him out in Jan 
    To loan him out he’d need to be fit. If he’s fit he’s apparently the bees knees from our bench. If he’s not fit enough to play 20 mins off our bench once a week who on earth would take him on loan ?
    Agreed

People slightly unfairly moan that Stockton was a one season wonder, but that season was in L1, whereas McKirdy has literally had one good season in L2. He hardly played the season before, for Port Vale, while in 2019/20 for Carlisle he scored 5 goals in 28 league appearances.

Our weakness isn't in the wide attacking positions, it's in the Number 9 position.
  • Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week.