Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    He broke his hand on Tuesday! Not the weekend ffs. I don't think it makes any difference to Gilbey staying or going. 
    I'd have thought the bigger impact from the McGrandles injury might be whether JFC stays or goes. We definitely needed to move on at least one of JFC and Gilbey, and Clare can be moved back to midfield if necessary, but with Sessegnon out and Egbo not back yet, we're a bit light on full back options.
  • I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
    Agreed

People slightly unfairly moan that Stockton was a one season wonder, but that season was in L1, whereas McKirdy has literally had one good season in L2. He hardly played the season before, for Port Vale, while in 2019/20 for Carlisle he scored 5 goals in 28 league appearances.

Our weakness isn't in the wide attacking positions, it's in the Number 9 position.
    But then a lot of that has to do with the fans' understanding of what the number 9 position could be for us. Garner played at Swindon with both McKirdy and Davison up front at different times and used them differently. Davison as more of an out and out striker like Stockley and McKirdy as a player able to rotate with his wingers to create space through uncertainty of marking. It was McKirdy who got the massive goal return, so it stands to reason that being able to play a striker with his movement could change a lot for us. Bringing in another striker who is more like Stockley in that he's just an out and out striker limits our ability to change things around and I don't think Garner would like that as much as the flexibility someone like McKirdy would offer.
  • Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Don't know but Troll1956 will be along soon to say it's too much as he's always injured
    Too much as he is always injured.

Happy to stand-in on this occasion!
  • TEL said:
    I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
    Plus of course if a striker is coming on loan then you'd assume it's because he's got almost zero chance of playing at his own club. So playing a bit for us is obviously better than nothing at wherever he is.
  • When Crawley states "JS or CS don't play" does he mean Stockley or Aneke ? and is a typo or am I missing something ?

Either way to have only 2 experienced strikers and one of them injury prone is ludicrous and we have come unstuck with this approach before.

• Our players definitely need to improve their own work on their post match recovery plans imo. 

• When Crawley states "JS or CS don't play" does he mean Stockley or Aneke ? and is a typo or am I missing something ?

Either way to have only 2 experienced strikers and one of them injury prone is ludicrous and we have come unstuck with this approach before.

He means only one of Stockley or Stockton would play. 
  • I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
    Agreed

People slightly unfairly moan that Stockton was a one season wonder, but that season was in L1, whereas McKirdy has literally had one good season in L2. He hardly played the season before, for Port Vale, while in 2019/20 for Carlisle he scored 5 goals in 28 league appearances.

Our weakness isn't in the wide attacking positions, it's in the Number 9 position.
    But then a lot of that has to do with the fans' understanding of what the number 9 position could be for us. Garner played at Swindon with both McKirdy and Davison up front at different times and used them differently. Davison as more of an out and out striker like Stockley and McKirdy as a player able to rotate with his wingers to create space through uncertainty of marking. It was McKirdy who got the massive goal return, so it stands to reason that being able to play a striker with his movement could change a lot for us. Bringing in another striker who is more like Stockley in that he's just an out and out striker limits our ability to change things around and I don't think Garner would like that as much as the flexibility someone like McKirdy would offer.
    Couldn't have put it better, we lack flexibility up front, and that's where McKirdy fits in perfect, or someone like him
  • Sponsored links:

• No McKirdy according to Garner. 
  • cabbles said:
    Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Not sure, but strongly expect the next deal he gets will be pay as you play. If he’s unavailable for a large tranch of this first half of the season, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to try and loan him out in Jan 
    To loan him out he’d need to be fit. If he’s fit he’s apparently the bees knees from our bench. If he’s not fit enough to play 20 mins off our bench once a week who on earth would take him on loan ?
    I was hoping someone as silly as we were in Jan this year :-) 
  • Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    I don’t think I will find it as funny. Can’t see anybody that good being signed, Stockley is captain and will be first choice striker. When we bring another striker in they will be back up, not a starter.
  • Disappointed by Mr Cawley's response to the Stockton rumour. I accept that if Stockton was acquired by the club it would be a choice between him and Stockley as to who plays. I have no problem with this and totally agree.
    However, the fact remains that if Stockley was injured in the first week of September, we would be left with an injury prone Aneke and the promising Miles Leaburn. Even a fit Stockley concerns me - he is not a goal-poacher, and most of his goals are either from headers or from the penalty spot.
    For a team that is endeavouring to secure a play-off place at worst, that would be completely inadequate, and a top six place would become no more than a pipe-dream.
    Having been a Charlton supporter since 1959, the best teams I have been privileged to watch have been those with potency where in matters - in the opposition penalty box.  Summers, Firmani, Leary, Tees and Treacy, Hales and Flanagan, and more recently Andy Hunt, Bent (D not M), Wright-Phillips and Kermogant, and, it irks me to admit this, LyleTaylor. All these were capable of scoring 20 goals a season.
    Too often I have seen a Charlton side struggle with the likes of Plumb, Bobby Hunt, Endean, and more recently, Benson, Church,  Sordell and McLeod. 
    I apologise if this post seems overly pessimistic, but I am desperate to see the club compete at a higher level. The start to the season has been encouraging, but I have seen too many false-dawns, and without strengthening our offensive options I fear the worst. 

Granted, but it's been said time and time again - we are expecting goals from all over the pitch.  Hence why Fraser is our current top scorer and we had 5 different scorers on Tuesday (I think ?). The idea being, we will not have to rely on one main man to get 20+! 
  • Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    That's nice you'll laugh your arse off if one of our players breaks their leg.  :(

CB is this biggest risk as we have the least cover, we have 1 back up CB for 2 positions. We only play one up top and we have 3 players that can play there, yes one is injured currently but it would be less likely that 3 of 3 are injured at the same time compared to 2 of 3 CB when one is Inniss.

We will sign a CB soon, then we will bring in another forward (someone who can play across the front line). I hear the CB is fairly close now, we have also made recent contact with at least 2 clubs regarding forwards.
    This very likely and please note ‘forwards’ not ‘striker’… 👍🏻
  • edited August 2022
    So in summary we want a CB, full back and striker.

That's unlikely to happen though and we'll probably end up with a CB and maybe a striker if we're lucky.

We don't have transfer funds available so it needs to be a loan or a free transfer unless something changes and someone is sold. 

• Sponsored links:

• esseffect said:
    Here we are again. Almost a week on from a win… because we drew we’re f*cked again apparently

You think we are able to keep it up for the whole season on a budget squad? People are well within their rights to be annoyed by the fact we aren’t going to be spending any money on players
  • Are we really that strapped for cash we can’t afford paying 500k for McKirdy, or is it just downplaying it so that clubs/agents don’t try think we’ve got money to burn?
  • sammy391 said:
    Surely you are not shocked though? Garner says in black and white that "he does not have a transfer fee available to go and bid for him".

We have not paid a transfer fee for any of our new players this season so it is obvious that our transfer budget was, and has started from a low point.

Some of the names I have seen mentioned above are laughable, we are never going to be bidding for the likes of some of those names.

If we move on JFC, Gilby and possibly DJ then that will free up some wages for a loan coming in.  
  • Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Too much
  • sammy391 said:
    I am more and more convinced they set the budget expecting someone to go for money and they haven't, yet.  

This can't be deliberate? 
  • esseffect said:
    Here we are again. Almost a week on from a win… because we drew we’re f*cked again apparently

You think we are able to keep it up for the whole season on a budget squad? People are well within their rights to be annoyed by the fact we aren’t going to be spending any money on players
    I think we spent money and it didn’t work. Throwing money at it doesn’t always work. 

If you did a breakdown of our current said they didn’t all come in for free…

it’s fine though we might win tomorrow and we’ll be all good again 👍🏻
  • I’m convinced that there is some money for a striker but not at the prices currently being quoted.