Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Bonne is a pure finisher. We need someone who can hold the ball and make play. Absolute non-starter
  • Leuth said:
    Bonne is a pure finisher. We need someone who can hold the ball and make play. Absolute non-starter
    I personally think a finisher is exactly what we need, seen as Garnerball is about creating loads of chances.  
  • It must surely have been said before, and I haven’t looked on the other thread so apologies, but a striker with all the attributes we want would cost £30 million. 
  • Leuth said:
    Bonne is a pure finisher. We need someone who can hold the ball and make play. Absolute non-starter
    Didn't Bonne miss as many chances as he scored?? No-one was particularly bothered about him going at the time for that reason I think! 
  • edited August 2022
    Leuth said:
    I personally think a finisher is exactly what we need, seen as Garnerball is about creating loads of chances.  
    We need a finisher, who is quick, hard-working, has stamina and willingness to press high and ideally who is comfortable positionally and technically to switch position, or at least play, with the wide players up top.

That is a lot to ask of a league 1 (or PL/champ youth) forward.

When you're trying to live a possession/high press philosophy on a tight budget and in the 3rd tier, the number of players it's worth being interested in is not big.
  • Leuth said:
    Didn't Bonne miss as many chances as he scored?? No-one was particularly bothered about him going at the time for that reason I think! 
    Yes was quite washington-like in that sense
  • Leuth said:
    We need a finisher, who is quick, hard-working, has stamina and willingness to press high and ideally who is comfortable positionally and technically to switch position, or at least play, with the wide players up top.

When you're trying to live a possession/high press philosophy on a tight budget and in the 3rd tier, the number of players it's worth being interested in is not big.
    I don’t disagree (regarding what we need).

So did we let the wrong forward go then?  Would many of been happier had Washington been given a new deal and Stockley went, I’m not sure this would have gone down well back in July.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

So did we let the wrong forward go then?  Would many of been happier had Washington been given a new deal and Stockley went, I’m not sure this would have gone down well back in July.  
    Definitely rather have Washington than Stockley now, though he’d probably still be finding it impossible to get the ball past the keeper.
  • Leuth said:

Definitely rather have Washington than Stockley now, though he’d probably still be finding it impossible to get the ball past the keeper.
    Only “Now”, as you say, as much as we can’t see it now, there’s still a chance Stockley starts banging in goals again, 6 games of not scoring from open play is bad form, it doesn’t make you a bad player.  But we do need a forward any way.  
  • People are obsessed by ex-players.

We're not signing Taylor, we were never getting Naby Sarr, we shouldn't sign Bonne,

There's plenty of other fish in the sea, as it were.
    Its so weird isnt it. Every few days people start talking about signing ex players. Freaks.
  • Leuth said:

Only “Now”, as you say, as much as we can’t see it now, there’s still a chance Stockley starts banging in goals again, 6 games of not scoring from open play is bad form, it doesn’t make you a bad player.  But we do need a forward any way.  
    Suppose it just shows how desperate we are for a goal scorer 

We're not signing Taylor, we were never getting Naby Sarr, we shouldn't sign Bonne,

Its so weird isnt it. Every few days people start talking about signing ex players. Freaks.
    So you wouldn’t have taken Pope, Konsa or Lookman back then? 
  • They say write what you know about. 

I think this is harsh.  The reason many bang on about ex players is because they know about them, perhaps they don’t watch other teams when they’re not watching charlton.  I mean I watch every EFL game on the tele and the highlights show every week but I doubt everyone does.  
  • Leuth said:

In my opinion we should not have let Washington go. However, I wouldn't have swapped him for Stockley, I would have kept both. In my view, two things made his squad place untenable:

1) Resigning Aneke. Couldn't accommodate 3 reasonably large salaries for strikers, first one out of contract was always on the way.

2) The perception that Washington was a problem. The whole contract/JJ whisper story involving Washington and Martin Sandgaard sounds like an absolute train wreck. Whether that was the problem or symptomatic of an existing perceived problem, that episode was the end for Washington.

We also let him go before totally re-defining the new philosophy under a new manager and coaching team.

In short, terrible terrible decision-making. Washington is not going to fire any L1 team to promotion single-handedly, but is he more suited to our current set-up than Aneke or Stockley? Absolutely. 
  • Leuth said:

In my opinion we should not have let Washington go. However, I wouldn't have swapped him for Stockley, I would have kept both. In my view, two things made his squad place untenable:

1) Resigning Aneke. Couldn't accommodate 3 reasonably large salaries for strikers, first one out of contract was always on the way.

2) The perception that Washington was a problem. The whole contract/JJ whisper story involving Washington and Martin Sandgaard sounds like an absolute train wreck. Whether that was the problem or symptomatic of an existing perceived problem, that episode was the end for Washington.

We also let him go before totally re-defining the new philosophy under a new manager and coaching team.

In short, terrible terrible decision-making. Washington is not going to fire any L1 team to promotion single-handedly, but is he more suited to our current set-up than Aneke or Stockley? Absolutely. 
    Kind of agree.

I think the bigger issue is Aneke, not his quality, but his injuries.  3 forwards is enough if you’re only playing 1, but with him it’s like having 2.3333 recurring forwards because he can only fulfil about a third of the seasons minutes.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonne is an answer, just not sure it’s the one to the question we have. We need a different type of player to Stockley, who could play wide but centrally when needed. Bonne doesn’t convince me as someone who’s smart enough to do it, and he’s a shit finisher 
  • Bonne finishes as well as an average striker, rather than a good one, but he still needs most of his chances put on a plate for him.

If I remember though, it was his lack of build up play and off ball movement which showed up his limitations.                  
    We need a forward with good involvement in build up who can finish also. IMO that's not Bonne. 
  • Leuth said:

1) Was totally avoidable and would have, unless something significant has changed, been known when we signed Aneke in January.  If wages are the problem did we not think we would need 4 center backs and 3 strikers when they drew the budget up?
  • Think I would prefer 45 year old Akpo Sodje to Bonne.

• edited August 2022
    If we can’t get players to fit the system, maybe we should try a different system? Without regurgitating the whole thing, last year proved it don’t work with stockley - 2 days to go or sandgaard and garner go on the register 
  • Can I just also remind you all system or not,bonne doesn’t like us, it’s not happening.
  • DOUCHER said:
    If we can’t get players to fit the system, maybe we should try a different system? Without regurgitating the whole thing, last year proved it don’t work with stockley - 2 days to go or sandgaard and garner go on the register 
    Build around Stockley? He's the only odd one out really.
  • Tommy still hopeful of a Striker and CB, let’s just what happens boys and girls