Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Kirk was dropped because of his anonymous appearances at Sheff Weds & Bolton.

CBT has started to become a key goal threat and has to be first choice for that reason.
  • Options

CBT has started to become a key goal threat and has to be first choice for that reason.
    A much of a muchness... We need creators and scorers.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    We have to gamble on CBT gaining composure because he is the biggest goal threat we have. For many League One defences, he is unplayable. I think he suits the left as defenders stand off him because of his pace so the opportunity to cut in and get a shot off is a very regular one. But with him and JRS, surely we have to wide players that we can switch in the right circumstances too and give full backs different problems in the same game. The challenge is to get the quality of the shots up. He is a professional footballer with some ability, so this should not be beyond our coaches and the player himself. The players who never get there are the ones you shouldn't bother about.

I would say that if JRS and CBT had been as sharp as they should be, we would have had at least 2 more goals from our last couple of games and that would represent four more points! Having said that, if/when we do crack it, he will be snapped up. I'd be trying to extend his contract now. 
  • Options

Was he anonymous against Wednesday? The first 70 minutes of that game was one of our strongest performances of the year and a large part of that was due to how we pressed, particularly Kirk, from the front.

Kirk and CBT as pointed out are very different players, who present very different challenges to  opposition teams. 

With both at 24 I personally think Kirk has had the better overall career (though not at Charlton) and has a higher ceiling with his ability - but I also don’t think he displaces CBT from the team at the moment either. 
    Unfortunately, I don’t have a good word to say about him….. it’s not often I’ll say that about a Charlton player. 😕
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I like that. Garner looks like he has somthing about him but the fact remains he has recently been appointed and when that happens managers don't tend to speak out. Technically, he isn't speaking out, just telling the truth. A truth that only an idiot like Sandgaard doesn't undertsand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    I like that. Garner looks like he has somthing about him but the fact remains he has recently been appointed and when that happens managers don't tend to speak out. Technically, he isn't speaking out, just telling the truth. A truth that only an idiot like Sandgaard doesn't undertsand.
    Sandgaard does understand exactly what and why everything is happening as do we all.

There is a budget. It is as simple as that.

You may not like it, Garner may not like it, I don’t like it. But it is what it is and there is no point bitching about it.
    I think Garner is talking to us, the fans. We have to move on and support Garner and his players and get behind the team. Booing or slagging of the team or individual players is making his job harder than it should be.

I disagree. The rug looks to have been pulled from BG and surely it is a false economy to anybody who does understand the potential implications of that.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    What Garner is saying is right, a lot of our budget is taken up on players Garner does not want or need, it may take 2 or 3 windows to readdress this balance. For example if you could replace, the fees/ wages spent on Kirk, DJ, Chucks and Stockley and allow to spend that on his own players I'm sure we would be in a much better place. Bottom line is Saangard is skint, whereas clubs like Ipswich can afford to get transfers wrong and take losses on them, we can't
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Garner made a great point last night that in football you have one of two things. Resources or time. We don’t have the former so we need to ensure he has the latter.

Just hope that it is provided and he is able to build what is required.

Other worries would be another club comes along and provides him the resources he’s never had and he could see that as a better opportunity.
    He will certainly get time from me, but I also feel he needs resources as well - and hopefully the time will allow him and the club to bring in the right players.

Although I think the first team squad is in a better position overall than it was last year, I do feel that no matter how much time anyone gets, if we start each season with 3 strikers - one who is a promising but raw 18 year old, and another who is injury prone and can’t play 90 minutes when fit - we are going to struggle. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Garner made a great point last night that in football you have one of two things. Resources or time. We don’t have the former so we need to ensure he has the latter.

Other worries would be another club comes along and provides him the resources he’s never had and he could see that as a better opportunity.
    He will certainly get time from me, but I also feel he needs resources as well - and hopefully the time will allow him and the club to bring in the right players.

Although I think the first team squad is in a better position overall than it was last year, I do feel that no matter how much time anyone gets, if we start each season with 3 strikers - one who is a promising but raw 18 year old, and another who is injury prone and can’t play 90 minutes when fit - we are going to struggle. 
    That though is also a result of who we brought in earlier in the window, and in previous windows. We have a situation where the likes of Kirk can be left out altogether, and Henry fail to make the bench either due to the glut of midfielders, when we have gaps in other positions.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Exactly my fear, but he has yet to be given time anywhere, and if we give him the time opportunity to build his squad who knows. 
    A glimmer of hope is that we were in for a striker in the summer and we do have a gifted set of youngsters that could be pushing for a place in the squad over the next 18 to 24 months.
    Not the time scale we would wish for, but maybe a more realistic one.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I heard we had a couple of real proper players that would of helped to fire us to promotion out of this shit pony league but unfotunately we have an egotistical joke of an owner who takes advice from his lad and... well that's about it really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard we had a couple of real proper players that would of helped to fire us to promotion out of this shit pony league but unfotunately we have egotistical joke of an owner who takes advice from lad and... well that's about it really.
    That might be a rumour based on no fact whatsoever!
  • Options
    Sage said:

Isn't the real issue that time isn't free?

To break even, no laughing at the back, we either need to sell players or reduce the wage bill, significantly.

If you, meaning the owner, give Garner 18 months but flog off Leaburn, Dobson, Clare and God knows who else he isn't going to be successful.  Is he?

Not only is being in league 1 costing Thomas a fortune it is also reducing the size of the club.

I am sorry but I can't really balance that equation.  It's only a matter of how long you spread the loss over, not if you lose it or not.
  • Options
    When we when we talk about free agents it only seems to be British players mentioned. Aren’t there any overseas free agents out there who could do a job for us? After all, Wolves have signed Diego Costa and he was a free agent. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    When we when we talk about free agents it only seems to be British players mentioned. Aren’t there any overseas free agents out there who could do a job for us? After all, Wolves have signed Diego Costa and he was a free agent. 
    I said this about foreign players before the of the window and was laughed at
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Who would play in the 3rd division AND get a work permit AND be unemployed?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Someone who is keen to play, wants to make a name for themselves and maybe earn a long term contract perhaps?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Someone who is keen to play, wants to make a name for themselves and maybe earn a long term contract perhaps?
    So how would they fulfill the work permit side of that?

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

JoJo?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

JoJo?
    British.  Born in Bristol.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Welcome, Ronnie Schwartz!