Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    It will be interesting if fit to play Chuks makes the bench tomorrow. It shouldn't be a too challenging bench to make if he is not injured.
    BG said one was two weeks away, could be Chucks or Egbo
  • Options
    Egbo was definitely training so I guess chucks is 2 weeks.
    We know he breaks down easily if rushed 
  • Options
    We were never going to sign Bonne, it was all smoke and mirrors to keep the fans happy. That statement on the web site when the window closed was probably written before lunch on the same day well before 11.00pm
    Evidence please? 🤨
  • Options
    It will be interesting if fit to play Chuks makes the bench tomorrow. It shouldn't be a too challenging bench to make if he is not injured.
    Muttley, you've got more chance of making the bench. 
  • Options
    I can imagine him after FGR eying them up and down and mumbling "twats!" to himself...
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    We were never going to sign Bonne, it was all smoke and mirrors to keep the fans happy. 
    The fans were NOT happy about signing Bonne!
    Some were.
    If you're going to pull off a plan like that you'd probably pick a better player.
    If you knew anything about football you would...

Despite Ronny's info to the contrary (I can't believe I had to say that) we had been working on a deal for Scully for months.  That is where the Gilbey rumour came form, I actually think that's where the "Gilbey told he could leave" story came from.  It was that long in the making.

I understand that we spent the last 2 or 3 days of the window trying, and failing, to make "chains".  When all else failed it's was left to Gallen's little black book, that's when Bonne came in.

There might be frustration from Garner, and the players, that we didn't sign x or y.  There is certainly frustration that they were all offered up like second hand cars.

There is, in my opinion, more to the last team selection than meets the eye.  It will all come out in wash.  Or not.  Only time will tell.
    Sorry if I’m missing the point but can you provide some further clarity on the team selection point? Do you mean that there could have been some meddling from above? 

As good as he is been in the Cup games, I was very surprised by the Chin selection and it did make me wonder a bit….

Probably that a few players are pissed off we tried to get their replacements/move them on. So Garner doesn't want to pick them while they're not in the best headspace? 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:
    It would seem we are not getting a proper striker 
    as we have missed the deadline yet again.
    some less optimistic fans to myself think promotion is now highly unlikely and attendance at the Valley will slowly decline.
    I say that if we are  in the top 8/10
    by January and if our Ego driven owner invests 
    in a proper Striker then we will see, as Goals get results get points 👍
    we are all so used to lies, Bullshit and broken promises that anything could happen 🤮

You're aware that 'striker' was Macauley Bonne?  Proper?  Might he have made a silkier purse out of the sow's ear that passed for service in to Miles Leaburn last night?
    All ifs and maybes as Skintgaard pulled the rug and we're lumbered with our rabble of League 2 free transfers, youngsters, outcasts and crocks.
    It was QPR that pulled the rug nothing to do with Charlton .. plus we only went after Bonne because BG number one target got his move to a championship club 
    So we went all transfer window chasing Scully then on deadline day he went to Wigan we turned to Bonne? If so what a plan.
    Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    Because it was Simpson of Ipswich who played under Garner at Swindon and was his prime target , we had a bid accepted but he wanted to wait to see if he got a championship club 
  • Options
    We were never going to sign Bonne, it was all smoke and mirrors to keep the fans happy. That statement on the web site when the window closed was probably written before lunch on the same day well before 11.00pm
    Evidence please? 🤨
    Untrue .. he passed a medical at the training ground , and QPR failed to get their target and changed the deal from a loan to permanent at 10.55pm 
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:

You don’t say…
  • Options
    Evidence please? 🤨
    Untrue .. he passed a medical at the training ground , and QPR failed to get their target and changed the deal from a loan to permanent at 10.55pm 
    QPR saw an opportunity to get shot of him for good!
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:
    some less optimistic fans to myself think promotion is now highly unlikely and attendance at the Valley will slowly decline.
    we are all so used to lies, Bullshit and broken promises that anything could happen 🤮

You're aware that 'striker' was Macauley Bonne?  Proper?  Might he have made a silkier purse out of the sow's ear that passed for service in to Miles Leaburn last night?
    All ifs and maybes as Skintgaard pulled the rug and we're lumbered with our rabble of League 2 free transfers, youngsters, outcasts and crocks.
    It was QPR that pulled the rug nothing to do with Charlton .. plus we only went after Bonne because BG number one target got his move to a championship club 
    So we went all transfer window chasing Scully then on deadline day he went to Wigan we turned to Bonne? If so what a plan.
    Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    Because it was Simpson of Ipswich who played under Garner at Swindon and was his prime target , we had a bid accepted but he wanted to wait to see if he got a championship club 
    I didn't ask what do you know, I asked how do you know?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:

Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    He always knows what he knows.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:

Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    Simpson probably was our main target and it then moved to Scully.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    We were never going to sign Bonne, it was all smoke and mirrors to keep the fans happy. 
    Some were.
    If you're going to pull off a plan like that you'd probably pick a better player.

Despite Ronny's info to the contrary (I can't believe I had to say that) we had been working on a deal for Scully for months.  That is where the Gilbey rumour came form, I actually think that's where the "Gilbey told he could leave" story came from.  It was that long in the making.

I understand that we spent the last 2 or 3 days of the window trying, and failing, to make "chains".  When all else failed it's was left to Gallen's little black book, that's when Bonne came in.

There might be frustration from Garner, and the players, that we didn't sign x or y.  There is certainly frustration that they were all offered up like second hand cars.

There is, in my opinion, more to the last team selection than meets the eye.  It will all come out in wash.  Or not.  Only time will tell.
    Scully seems quite a good player and would have been a good signing, but he's a winger. We have JRS, Kirk, CBT, DJ, and Payne and Leaburn can play there. 

Was it Scully or JRS? Or was there a thought that we could move on DJ and/or Kirk (even though neither seemed to have much interest)? 

I get wanting to strengthen from a position of strength, and if you can sign a player you feel is better than the ones you have, you should sign him everything else being equal. But it once again feels like somewhat disjointed thinking. It's signing in an area of the squad already deep (and pretty strong, at least with first choice options), while leaving LB, CB, and Striker one each short. It feels like what we did with McGrandles, we've signed a player in an area of the pitch where we're already very deep, and left other areas wanting while we carry 6-7 first team CMs. 

I imagine the case with both was that we would offload other players (we did offload Gilbey, I still don't understand what is happening with JFC). But it just feels like our transfer window was a bit all over the place. 
  • Options
    Well i think we need another striker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton’s transfer strategy appears to rely on a mini miracle happening for us to get a player over line.

Instead of paying the upfront asking price we wait till the last day of the window (to try to get a bargain deal) & are reliant on all 24 clubs in the championship saying ‘no’ to the same player when the players agent phones around looking for a better deal.

1) I don't know that that's new. When you think of when Bielik and Cullen joined, it was late in the window and I think both West Ham and Arsenal thought they would get Championship loans for their player. 
    2) I think most League One sides are in the same situation. Now, most League One sides don't have our budget, but if a Championship comes calling, we're almost certainly not going to be able to compete with them. 
    3) We signed Stockley, Kirk, and Aneke early or earlyish in their respective windows. We had most of our business done before the season started, even though there was a month remaining in the window after the season started. Obviously, it's not ideal because we didn't finish the squad. 

I just feel like every year most fans complain about not getting business done early. And at our level, that's just not realistic unless you're going to blow away the competition with money like Ipswich, Wigan, and Sheff Wed over the last year or so. Or, if you've been relegated and you're trying to hold onto your players.

Even last season, the issue wasn't just not doing business early, it was having an uneven hodgepodge squad that didn't fit the system our manager wanted to play and didn't have players that complimented each other. The timing is less important than the end product. The end product this summer wasn't good enough. 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:

Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    We found out that Huddersfield we’re not going to loan him out after they brought him late on deadline day we then looked at a Millwall forward but turned to Bonne .. we never went after Scully 

• Options
    Evidence please? 🤨
    That’s simply untrue. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Evidence please? 🤨
    That’s simply untrue. 
    Try to ignore him
    It's not easy I know 
    But he ain't worth the trouble. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:

Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?
    We found out that Huddersfield we’re not going to loan him out after they brought him late on deadline day we then looked at a Millwall forward but turned to Bonne .. we never went after Scully 

How do you 'know' this?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    1968CAFC said:

Was not Scully .. 
    How would you know?

How do you 'know' this?
    Plymouth Herald
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Some were.

Late to this, but Garner shouldn't be picking players to make a point. I'm no fan of Sandgaard and want him out now, but the manager has to try and get the best out of each player and pick the best side to win a game.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Some were.

Late to this, but Garner shouldn't be picking players to make a point. I'm no fan of Sandgaard and want him out now, but the manager has to try and get the best out of each player and pick the best side to win a game.
    Garner should absolutely be picking teams to make all sorts of points - to the players - the latest bodies dropped from the lineup owe it all to their own performances, Richard Chin excepted
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Billy_Mix said:
    UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Some were.

Garner should absolutely be picking teams to make all sorts of points - to the players - the latest bodies dropped from the lineup owe it all to their own performances, Richard Chin excepted
  • Options
    I'm guessing that we were hoping to unload Kirk before the end of the transfer deadline, maybe to Blackpool? So he was kept in the team to improve his transfer valuation. As far as we know, no one came in for him so he has now been unceremoniously been dumped right out of the squad. A bit harsh perhaps but I would favour CBT over him.