Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Smithy said:
    What we need: Retain all current players. Sign a starting CB, starting striker and a back up LB.  

What I think will happen: Lose Leaburn and Rak-Sakyi. Bring in a loanee CB and loanee striker from Prem teams, so a net loss in the squad. 
    I don't think either of them will go - JRS might do if someone else wants him but he's not really at that Gallagher level where he's going to be in demand midseason IMO.

Leaburn probably would but his time out injured might mean we hold onto him until the end of the season.

I think JFC may go and maybe DJ if anyone will have him. But otherwise we can't really afford to lose anyone 
    As it stands we would have to replace both of those.

It's got to be a net increase to fill the gaps else we are just shifting the current problem to elsewhere.
  • Options
    Whilst Dobson is a player that we here can all see the inherent value in, the fact remains that he is probably still a little one-dimensional for most clubs in the lower / middle of the Championship. Don't get me wrong - I love him and I think he is a great, hard-working footballer (easily my favourite within this squad), but I think he might struggle making any significant step up. For the size of the club and the adoration he has here, I feel that it would need to be a really good offer to come in to either make him want to go or just too much for us, financially, to refuse. I don't feel his head has been turned, but he has played an awful lot of football for us and remains very pivotal to our success. I sincerely hope he doesn't end up going anywhere.

Regarding Stockton, I still think he could do a job for us and his downturn in form should not be too much of a concern. It was clear that the lad was angling for a move in August and the club were playing hardball over his value - this has ended up with him probably leaving on a free in the summer, rather than for the fee they were looking for. He remains one of the better L1 strikers I have seen in terms of hold-up play and movement, and the amount of goals he scored last season suggests it was not entirely fluke. I remain a fan of his from our perspective, and I think he would do the current Stockley role better than anyone else in the squad. I doubt he'll ever get close to the goals he got last term, but I think 10+ is still in his locker. Remains good enough for us in L1, but not any higher.

We were short a striker, even with Washington imo. Defense remains too shaky to have a sustained pop at anything above playoff edges. I trust us to find the players, but I don't trust TS to spend anything to get what we need. I hope this doesn't become too much of a sore point for Garner or any other semi-decent/young'un players who don't want to stick around in L1 mediocrity much longer.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I bet it's Bonne again. Such is the scope of imagination in our scouting department.
    I said to my mate the other day that the valiant 500 which is now over 1000 is our scouting book.
  • Options
    If there was a chance of successfully pulling this off, I would ship out Lavelle, Inniss, Stockley and McGrandles in January and bring in 2 x CB, 1 LB and 2 x Strikers. Those defenders are liabilities, one constant, the other an accident waiting to happen most games. I really like Stockley but there comes a time when you need a fresh start and that has arrived for him after this shocking first half season and McGrandles is one midfielder too many that may attract a transfer fee based on previous club performances. One way or the other some gambling in the market will
    be needed to ‘have a go’ in the second half of the season. As said though, unlikely to be able to pull all of that off…
  • Options
    Clare and Dobson will leave in January.

Stockley, Morgan. Mcgrandles, JFC and Payne stay. 
  • Options
    Sad thing is that Bonne would have "helped" us a bit wouldn't he?

I know, I know, it's like choosing between Truss and Rees-Mogg, but just being realistic.
  • Options
    If there was a chance of successfully pulling this off, I would ship out Lavelle, Inniss, Stockley and McGrandles in January and bring in 2 x CB, 1 LB and 2 x Strikers. Those defenders are liabilities, one constant, the other an accident waiting to happen most games. I really like Stockley but there comes a time when you need a fresh start and that has arrived for him after this shocking first half season and McGrandles is one midfielder too many that may attract a transfer fee based on previous club performances. One way or the other some gambling in the market will
    be needed to ‘have a go’ in the second half of the season. As said though, unlikely to be able to pull all of that off…
    This is a bit elephant in the room for me. I don't get why we signed him or what we planned for him to do.

That's not a reflection on his performances, it's about what type of player he is, more than anything.

At Swindon Garner played a quarter back and, basically, two 10s.  If you inherited last seasons squad, and the contracts, the obvious thing would be Dobson as a 6 and Fraser as an 8 then take it from there.

Is he an upgrade on Gilbey?  Possibly but when you actually look at it he isn't "head and shoulders" above him historically.

It's a weird one.  I was told at the time it would become obvious why we signed him.  I am still none the wiser.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So a CB, LB, Striker and Keeper (if Wooly will be out for any period).  Jan minimum. That is 3-4 players. All were painfully obvious before the season started too.
    Think we have 3 loan spots left, maybe we will use them all.
    To be fair we then signed Thomas giving us 4 senior centre backs. Under the squad cap and playing a back 4 having 5 would be a waste of wages and a spot.

We shouldn’t need 3 senior keepers either. I wouldn’t expect that even if we had a billionaire owner splashing the cash.

Agree on a striker and LB of course.

Lavelle was fairly obviously not good enough last season, Innis is massively injury prone (we have been lucky this season), and Thomas had barely played for 1-2 years and was a cheap punt. We definitely needed another CB in the summer and I said it at the time.
    Keeper, we should have moved on McG and got a capable understudy but I note what @Addick Addict says above 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Today I learnt that Nathan Harness was on loan at Bromley!! - Looks like we're considering recalling him and Maynard-Brewer, what with the injury to Wollacott.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-mulling-over-loan-recalls-for-goalkeeping-duo/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Today I learnt that Nathan Harness was on loan at Bromley!! - Looks like we're considering recalling him and Maynard-Brewer, what with the injury to Wollacott.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-mulling-over-loan-recalls-for-goalkeeping-duo/
    Never been sure why Harness went to Bromley they have got a proper number 1, his brother was with us, and an arsenal kid on loan already.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Never been sure why Harness went to Bromley they have got a proper number 1, his brother was with us, and an arsenal kid on loan already.
    Surely we must have a conversation with the club about the opportunity to play before we agree to the loan? He would have been better o2ff staying with us 
  • Options
    Kabongo Tshimanga at Chesterfield has to be worth a look. Has been prolific the last few seasons and I'm surprised he remains in the NL.

• Options
    If I recall correctly Tshimanga was close to a move to Birmingham in the last window and it fell apart over a medical. 
  • Options
    in order of priority

1) a centre forward or 2 
    99) centre half
    100) left back  
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    If I recall correctly Tshimanga was close to a move to Birmingham in the last window and it fell apart over a medical. 
    Was getting over an injury at the end of last season.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    in order of priority

1) a centre forward or 2 
    99) centre half
    100) left back  
    I think a left back is ahead of centre back, dependant on the injury to O’Connell
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sad thing is that Bonne would have "helped" us a bit wouldn't he?

I know, I know, it's like choosing between Truss and Rees-Mogg, but just being realistic.
    He certainly would've been better than nothing
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    in order of priority

1) a centre forward or 2 
    99) centre half
    100) left back  
    I think a left back is ahead of centre back, dependant on the injury to O’Connell
    Pape Souare is available...
    Failing that, is Djimi Traore still playing?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Smithy said:
    What we need: Retain all current players. Sign a starting CB, starting striker and a back up LB.  

What I think will happen: Lose Leaburn and Rak-Sakyi. Bring in a loanee CB and loanee striker from Prem teams, so a net loss in the squad. 
    I don't think either of them will go - JRS might do if someone else wants him but he's not really at that Gallagher level where he's going to be in demand midseason IMO.

Leaburn probably would but his time out injured might mean we hold onto him until the end of the season.

I think JFC may go and maybe DJ if anyone will have him. But otherwise we can't really afford to lose anyone 
    Probably TOTALLY wide of the mark but I'm fervently hoping that Dobbo isn't a player that maybe Championship clubs are salivating over at present.

IMO, he's not been his usual 100% self in the past couple of games & hence, my fertile imagination is now working overtime.

Hopefully though, his slight dip in form is due to the number of important matches he's been involved in of late and this week will, hopefully, enable him to recharge his batteries in readiness for Port Vale. 

However, should TS have received enquiries & even talked potential transfer fees with A N Other club, George would presumably be aware of this interest & as such, be unsettled. 

He is, after all, one of our most coveted players....

And I can't believe our owner would look a gift horse in the mouth should the opportunity arise to swell his coffers. 
    I don't think he'd be looking to move himself but money talks I guess. More than once he has said he loves it at the club. There was talk of a new contract too so I hope he stays. He's the type of player you build a team around. 
  • Options
    I hope not.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So a CB, LB, Striker and Keeper (if Wooly will be out for any period).  Jan minimum. That is 3-4 players. All were painfully obvious before the season started too.
    Think we have 3 loan spots left, maybe we will use them all.
    To be fair we then signed Thomas giving us 4 senior centre backs. Under the squad cap and playing a back 4 having 5 would be a waste of wages and a spot.

We shouldn’t need 3 senior keepers either. I wouldn’t expect that even if we had a billionaire owner splashing the cash.

Agree on a striker and LB of course.

Lavelle was fairly obviously not good enough last season, Innis is massively injury prone (we have been lucky this season), and Thomas had barely played for 1-2 years and was a cheap punt. We definitely needed another CB in the summer and I said it at the time.
    Keeper, we should have moved on McG and got a capable understudy but I note what @Addick Addict says above 
    I agree it’s an area we could do with improving but I’m saying why it wasn’t going to happen in the summer.

I’ve never Lavelle highly, I wouldn’t have kept Inniss and I was hoping we would sign better than Thomas, but the aim was always going to be to have four CBs. Lavelle wasn’t realistically going to be moved on and neither was Inniss once his contract extension was activated. Thomas then became our 4th CB.

We might see one come in during January because of the injuries, but it’s very unlikely it would have happened had they all stayed fit.
  • Options
    If we were a normal club that did normal rational things, we would make dobbo captain and give him a deal that stops him from being tempted away - we’d also sign a striker or 2. Let’s see what TS does - this window is an opportunity for him to quieten a lot of ‘noise’ - alternatively the noise could escalate 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    If we were a normal club that did normal rational things, we would make dobbo captain and give him a deal that stops him from being tempted away - we’d also sign a striker or 2. Let’s see what TS does - this window is an opportunity for him to quieten a lot of ‘noise’ - alternatively the noise could escalate 
    If we were a normal club you say.
    I think I've spotted the problem. 
  • Options

That makes it sound like we did not hsve a plan for bench cover over this period when JW was expected to be away.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    3 loan spaces available. That’s the best Garner will get given to him, unless something has changed that we don’t know off since the last window. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    3 loan spaces available. That’s the best Garner will get given to him, unless something has changed that we don’t know off since the last window. 
    If nothing has changed we will sign a player. Just saying.