Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    I would guess it is used a lot more than that, and probably similar at most football clubs. They will definitely be using it to identify targets for each position. I have no problem with this, providing the manager is happy with the player and checks are done their character etc… the problem I have is that Martin is in charge of the analysis, rather than someone who had been working in football as a recruitment analyst with years of experience 
    He is head of the analyst team. Are you saying that none of them have been working in football before?
    He has never worked in data analysis never mind football!
    Better than that, he has managed a team of data analysts for a long time. Do you know any data analysts? Can they get figures you want? Can they interpret them? Do they tell you that figures don’t lie?

The identifying of players is a small part of the job anyway, with the majority of the work concentrating on players fitness. They don’t wear those bras for fun!

He is working alongside SG which must be a fantastic experience and a great education. He did of course also play football at a better level than most, so it’s not like he has never watched a game.
    But he also has a role representing and reporting to his dad and this role within the Club that allows him to do that.

Martin could be our owner at some point, and there must be a fair chance that he will be our CEO. Best he learns by doing these jobs IMO. It is what I would do if it was my son.
    I have co founded what is going to be the largest sports sponsorship database on the planet - using 6 separate data sources including a global survey panel of 1.5 billion people, media and social listening data, search data, social engagement data, and sponsorship investment data garnered from over 500,000 historical deals. Allowing brands to instantly and accurately find the best sports and entertainment rights holders for them - and automating a connection with them.

He is not a data expert. As I have said many times this is not a personal slant - he could be a lovely guy for all I know. But a CV is a factual record of your career. He has jumped around his dads business but isn't a data expert.
    The point I was trying to make is that he does not need to be a data ‘expert’. 

People who run things employ people and companies like yours to provide the data. You sound like you provide a fantastic service and no doubt present the information that the decision makers need and in a format that even an idiot could understand; and if they needed more information you could quickly drill down and retrieve it.

I had data and exception reports presented to me daily by one of the teams I managed. I did not need to know how they got it, but I did know if it was not giving me the information that I needed, and in a format that suited me, so I could make informed decisions. It is why I know you can deliver information that even an idiot will understand it!

Good luck with your business, it sounds exciting.
  • edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    I would guess it is used a lot more than that, and probably similar at most football clubs. They will definitely be using it to identify targets for each position. I have no problem with this, providing the manager is happy with the player and checks are done their character etc… the problem I have is that Martin is in charge of the analysis, rather than someone who had been working in football as a recruitment analyst with years of experience 
    He is head of the analyst team. Are you saying that none of them have been working in football before?
    Better than that, he has managed a team of data analysts for a long time. Do you know any data analysts? Can they get figures you want? Can they interpret them? Do they tell you that figures don’t lie?

The identifying of players is a small part of the job anyway, with the majority of the work concentrating on players fitness. They don’t wear those bras for fun!

He is working alongside SG which must be a fantastic experience and a great education. He did of course also play football at a better level than most, so it’s not like he has never watched a game.
    But he also has a role representing and reporting to his dad and this role within the Club that allows him to do that.

Martin could be our owner at some point, and there must be a fair chance that he will be our CEO. Best he learns by doing these jobs IMO. It is what I would do if it was my son.
    I have co founded what is going to be the largest sports sponsorship database on the planet - using 6 separate data sources including a global survey panel of 1.5 billion people, media and social listening data, search data, social engagement data, and sponsorship investment data garnered from over 500,000 historical deals. Allowing brands to instantly and accurately find the best sports and entertainment rights holders for them - and automating a connection with them.

He is not a data expert. As I have said many times this is not a personal slant - he could be a lovely guy for all I know. But a CV is a factual record of your career. He has jumped around his dads business but isn't a data expert.

People who run things employ people and companies like yours to provide the data. You sound like you provide a fantastic service and no doubt present the information that the decision makers need and in a format that even an idiot could understand; and if they needed more information you could quickly drill down and retrieve it.

I had data and exception reports presented to me daily by one of the teams I managed. I did not need to know how they got it, but I did know if it was not giving me the information that I needed, and in a format that suited me, so I could make informed decisions. It is why I know you can deliver information that even an idiot will understand it!

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. That’s exactly the challenge - making what is a bloody complicated set of algorithms and data sets into a user friendly app that helps decision makers down the right path.

I see Gallen and Garner as the decision makers. The role of data simply needs to guide them to maybe 4 or 5 optimised choices. That their human element then works on.

Problem is that the data could be dangerous if it doesn’t provide them with then right 4 options.

I am fascinated with sports performance data but I worry it can’t take into account aspects such as mental fortitude, character etc. I also sit on the board of a business that measure injury risk in professional sport and that was a model that took a lot of people much cleverer than me nearly three years to build.

Its nice TS giving his son a job to learn from but it could cause some serious issues if it’s not done properly.
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

He surely needs to be an expert in either football or data analysis? He has no qualifications or experience in either. We should have the best possible people in each role, especially a role that important. We could have easily got someone in that role that has qualifications and experience in a similar role in football which would surely be a better option than Martin
  • NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

He surely needs to be an expert in either football or data analysis? He has no qualifications or experience in either. We should have the best possible people in each role, especially a role that important. We could have easily got someone in that role that has qualifications and experience in a similar role in football which would surely be a better option than Martin
    He doesn't need to be an expert in anything if he is just managing people and a process.  He doesn't need to be an expert in anything other than implementing a system if that's what he is doing.  He doesn't need anything other than eyes or ears to be his eyes and ears if that's what he is doing.

If.   
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

He doesn't need to be an expert in anything if he is just managing people and a process.  He doesn't need to be an expert in anything other than implementing a system if that's what he is doing.  He doesn't need anything other than eyes or ears to be his eyes and ears if that's what he is doing.

If.   

• Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    That’s not just what he’s doing though, he’s clearly involved in the recruitment team watching/analysing players and making judgements. Would like to hear from him what he’s involved in but at the moment what we have to go on is what TS has said 
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    That’s not just what he’s doing though, he’s clearly involved in the recruitment team watching/analysing players and making judgements. Would like to hear from him what he’s involved in but at the moment what we have to go on is what TS has said 
    So technically it’s not actually clear is it? Too much is being made of this at the moment, why they are being judged collectively before we’ve even signed a player this pre season is beyond me. If they sign what is perceived by the majority to be a good signing are we going to say it couldn’t have been anything to do with MS?  The mischievous side of me is almost hoping our best signing turns out to be on the back of his data, now that would button a few lips!!🤣🤣
  • edited June 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    We also know he's got analysts reporting into him who have backgrounds in football, so the analysis isn't coming from him alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• In short the company director of easy jet wouldn’t know how to fly a plane!
  • edited June 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    That's exactly why there is all this back and forth.  We don't KNOW what he does.

We know what Thomas says he does.  We know what Gallen says now, what Gallen said previously, what would be reasonable for him to do and we hear rumour and innuendo from all sorts of people.  None of them are the same.

And to answer @paulfox the word on the street is that he signed our best player last season.
  • paulfox said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    So technically it’s not actually clear is it? Too much is being made of this at the moment, why they are being judged collectively before we’ve even signed a player this pre season is beyond me. If they sign what is perceived by the majority to be a good signing are we going to say it couldn’t have been anything to do with MS?  The mischievous side of me is almost hoping our best signing turns out to be on the back of his data, now that would button a few lips!!🤣🤣
    I wouldn't say too much is being made of it. We used to have Driesden who was more qualified and experienced for that kind of role than Martin is and his position was massively questioned by fans. It's definitely possible that it will work out well and I am glad we are using a lot of data in our recruitment. I just think it's a bit concerning/risky having someone who probably wouldn't even get an interview for this role at a league 2 club in such an important role
  • like all the other peripheral stuff, it will all be forgotten if garner is a success and i really don't think that will be anything to do with MS, however much is made about the recruitment 'committee', black box and all that  - it's gonna be down to garner and how much TS is prepared to spend  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    That's exactly why there is all this back and forth.  We don't KNOW what he does.

We know what Thomas says he does.  We know what Gallen says now, what Gallen said previously, what would be reasonable for him to do and we hear rumour and innuendo from all sorts of people.  None of them are the same.

And to answer @paulfox the word on the street is that he signed our best player last season.
    Oh!, well that will go down well😂, I genuinely couldn’t  give a toss who signs the players as long as they perform better than last season, which isn’t really going to take much. Will be nice to see a couple to get the ball rolling.👍
  • paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   

Oh!, well that will go down well😂, I genuinely couldn’t  give a toss who signs the players as long as they perform better than last season, which isn’t really going to take much. Will be nice to see a couple to get the ball rolling.👍
    It's been regularly mentioned on here for about 6 months!!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   

I don’t think Martin was involved in last summer’s recruitment? I might be wrong on that but I thought he took Roddys place on our recruitment committee? Wouldn’t be shocked if the analysis team picked out Dobson as he was a bit of an under the radar signing that I don’t think many expected much from. I think if Martin had been instrumental in signing Dobson then we’d have definitely heard about it from TS considering he brought up the Fraser signing when asked about what Martin does
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   

Lol, I skimmed over that then, so why is he getting so many pelters when nobody really knows what he’s doing, but is responsible for our best player?, bit odd really. Or was he just lucky?.
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    paulfox said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   
    I wouldn't say too much is being made of it. We used to have Driesden who was more qualified and experienced for that kind of role than Martin is and his position was massively questioned by fans. It's definitely possible that it will work out well and I am glad we are using a lot of data in our recruitment. I just think it's a bit concerning/risky having someone who probably wouldn't even get an interview for this role at a league 2 club in such an important role
    As people are choosing to overlook, he isn’t having the final say, so I don’t see why it’s concerning, they have said it’s a team effort, there is enough experience to over ride any bad ideas he has. If his name wasnt sandgaard the concern would be less of an issue I suspect. As I say there is no evidence either way to suggest he is or isn’t doing a good enough job.
  • paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:

If.   

Lol, I skimmed over that then, so why is he getting so many pelters when nobody really knows what he’s doing, but is responsible for our best player?, bit odd really. Or was he just lucky?.

It was mentioned a fair bit (well once MS was named as Roddy's data replacement anyway).

Nobody really knew what any of them did because the narrative constantly changed, people liked to discuss the recruitment committee,  it's member's and it's merits, some people decide to take any criticism and reasonable debate around the Sandgaard's and processes personally. 

One of the main arguments around Martin's experience and skills stems from the GED Roddy hate, Roddy was the worst person to enter se7 and according to everyone, shouldn't have been anywhere near recruitment because of him not being qualified for it, that feeling changed when the data persons name became Sandgaard. 

Yes you can get lucky making dddm, you can also make proper informed decisions, you can also sign Charlie Kirk's and Ronnie Schwartz' - hence the interest in debate.

YOuVe gOT aN AgEnDa dOugH, yOu aiNt pRopER ChARltoN, WhErEs yOuR 8 miLliOn etc.
  • Marquis
    Aiden O'Brien
    Bostock
    A Brighton U23
    A made up Twitter rumour
    A 33 year old 12 goal in 3 seasons workhorse

Transfer rumour recap.
    McKirdy has been linked too by someone on here 
  • For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

How many of those have people heard of / know about, and are any of those better than what we already have?
  • clive said:
    He has a lot of value for us. If we were to let go of him it would have to be for an astronomical amount.

Goes without saying but some will see that as TS encouraging offers.

I wonder what that amount is, £2m, £3m?

If he does go I’d like to think we’ll get a replacement in first.