Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• cafc4life said:
    that Mckirdy comes across as a right little prick
    We really need a resident shithouse and he could be that.  Taylor, Holmes, Kermorgant - all brilliant at winding up the opponents and we need another

Not only that, he looks to play with a smile on his face which I like to see
  • Would like us to go for someone like Ben Woodburn. Just released by Liverpool and certainly has a point to prove. Especially with Wales in the World Cup next year. 
    They released Sheyi Ojo as well, on loan at Millwall last year but i think got injured. Not sure if he'd drop down to league one though.
    Woodburn and Ojo will be excellent signings but would they drop down to the third tier.! 
  • Got a feeling Stockley might be sold can’t see him playing in a 433. Can add Kirk to that as well but might not happen because of not being able to recoup the half a million transfer fee. 
    Why Kirk he will be a big assist in Garner system .. 
  • Kirk fits the 4-3-3 possession style perfectly. It’s whether he works hard enough when we don’t have the ball. I remember reading about him at Crewe and one of his coaches was saying he’s a brilliant player but you have to accept he isn’t going to help much defensively. 

Also not sure Blackett-Taylor’s hamstrings will be up to a high intensity pressing side, might be used more as an option from the bench but still a very good option to have 
  • cafc4life said:
    that Mckirdy comes across as a right little prick
    Bet the opposition would have said that about Johnny Robinson .. ..
  • Chunes said:
    For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

Where's Johnny Williams?
    Lucky to make Swindon 1st team let alone the team of the season. 😉
  • Chunes said:
    For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

Where's Johnny Williams?
    Getting ready for the World Cup.......

I am sure Elliot Lee will be watching 😚
  • Kick needed the full back to support him at Crewe more a winger in a 442 system. Cutting inside while his fullback overlaps.in my opinion. 
    Kick and stockley would work well in a 442 formation but apparently your not aloud to play 442 these days. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    I’ve heard that McKirdy’s already agreed personal terms, he comes from London so not a massive shock for him to be making the move from Swindon really.
    Was born in London but not brought up in London I don't think.

Not that where you're from makes a different to 90% of footballers if offered the right wage etc.
  • I do like that we've moved on from former Charlton players to former Ben Garner players. As long as they used to play for someone related we're happy.
    Also, just going back to Gallen's interview, I was interested in what he was saying about the types of centre backs we would be looking to go in for now that the manager's in. I like to think that he has two folders ready, one marked 'ball players' and one marked 'shithouses' and he's had to now, with regret, move the second one into the bin.
  • I’ve heard that McKirdy’s already agreed personal terms, he comes from London so not a massive shock for him to be making the move from Swindon really.
    Born in London yes, but grew up as a kid in Stoke. Came through their academy then Villa's. 
  • Kick needed the full back to support him at Crewe more a winger in a 442 system. Cutting inside while his fullback overlaps.in my opinion. 
    Kick and stockley would work well in a 442 formation but apparently your not aloud to play 442 these days. 

Would say Kirk suits a 4-3-3 just as much maybe more. In a 4-4-2 a winger needs to do more defensively than Kirk probably offers, in a 4-3-3 he has an extra central midfielder behind him so can get away with doing less.

Stockley definitely suits a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 as he is a lot better with a partner. There is a reason not many teams play 4-4-2 anymore, and the ones that do are usually quite defensive/direct teams  which is not what we are trying to be. Only having 2 central midfielders makes it very hard to dominate possession when you will nearly always be up against 3
  • Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:
    That’ll tick off Luton reject on the CAFC transfer bingo card 👍🏻

Beat me to it :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Ghanas number 1, made team of the season, contract is up in the summer and I imagine would be the kind of keeper Garner wants. 

McG is absolutely turd with his feet and AMB is up in the air due to his injury record imo, I reckon we will have a new #1 next season. 
    Don't disagree but I'd imagine we'll have to flow one first. I'd probably try get rid of McG as AMB is younger but not sure anyone will want him. Back to Pompey maybe?
    No doubt we will, I’d also prefer that but as you said who is gonna want him. A goalie who can play a bit and isn’t a panicker will be really  important in this team now and I just don’t see McG fitting in. Pompey have lost their loaned  goalie so could be a shout. I would certainly prefer a keeper who suits Garners style of play either way. 

We obviously don’t wanna sign every Swindon player as people have jested, but Wollacott, Egbo, McKirdy, Payne and Reed would all be very good additions to the squad. That solves the keeper issue, right back issue, healthy completion in midfield and a forward that has been successful under our manager and can play across that front 3 in the famous ‘high press’ 

very excited to see what kind of signings we make and how this Charlton team will look 
    Yeah I'd certainly be happy with Wollacott if we can offload a keeper and Payne. Don't know much about Egbo, I know he played well for them but what was it, 10 games? Kelser might be a better bet at right-back and has had a decent few months in League 1 with MK. 

Think the problem we've got in CM if we have Dobson, Fraser, JFC, Gilbey, Clare and Morgan. Again think we're going to need an outgoing or two. 

McKirdy is an interesting one and I will of course trust Garner on it. Just a bit concerned it was a one off, but if he does join I hope it's because he suited Garner's style and he can pick off where he ended at Swindon. 

I too am excited, I just hope we have enough budget to get the players needed. 
    Kelser would be on loan is the only issue and I’m never a fan of loan defenders, feel like that’s an area we need to get right and build on, always feel midfielders or forwards on loan are easier to replace, of course just my opinion. 

I reckon midfield will be fine if we bring in two more, long old season and we now know we will be playing a midfield 3. Going to need 6 centre mids I would say, we have 5 but one is absolutely pants. 

I think McKirdy would hit the ground running with us but again just a hunch. 

Egbo stats below, interesting career so far. He notched up 3 assists in 10 games for Swindon from what I can see online. If you watch him in those games as well he travels with the ball so well, if he can defend he’s a no brainier

Egbo played in the Dartford academy - he actually packed football in for a while to play footsall but thats a bit irrelevant - i could see him definitely being somebody who we may be interested in and vice versa 
  • edited June 2022

12 League goals since 18/19 I doubt any of those clubs are interested. Thats some really poor agent work right there, I mean come on, make it slightly realistic!
  • Not sure I can see the analysts and big data pointing to this one, I just think we’re being slung in with a few other teams. 

• 12 League goals since 18/19 I doubt any of those clubs are interested. Thats some really poor agent work right there, I mean come on, make it slightly realistic!
    can't see any of them teams linked being interested - he looked like a nuisance factor and nothing more in the game i saw him play 
  • DOUCHER said:

12 League goals since 18/19 I doubt any of those clubs are interested. Thats some really poor agent work right there, I mean come on, make it slightly realistic!
    can't see any of them teams linked being interested - he looked like a nuisance factor and nothing more in the game i saw him play 
    Martin’s football analytics tool

Name: Danny Hylton
    Player type: nuisance
    Position: striker

High press ✅  (if legs haven’t gone)
    Goalscorer ❌

Decision: shortlist as 10th choice, sign on deadline day if all other targets missed
  • I used to watch Danny Hylton when Charlton were away and I’d go to Aldershot 
    I can honestly say that in 55 years of football I can never remember seeing anyone try as hard as him 
    The phrase giving 110% doesn’t come close to how he used to play - it was nothing short of astonishing 
    We should have bought him then for tuppence but I guess he was deemed too agricultural- which he was ! 
    I think he’s too old now but if we did get him I can guarantee you all a few laughs as he miskicks right in front of an open goal or runs 50 yards to dispossess their goalkeeper and then bicycle kicks a goal from 20 yards - he is ‘all action’
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Martin’s football analytics tool

Name: Danny Hylton
    Player type: nuisance
    Position: striker

High press ✅  (if legs haven’t gone)
    Goalscorer ❌

Decision: shortlist as 10th choice, sign on deadline day if all other targets missed

We need stats man Callum to give us a head to head with Marquis, might be something in it after that analysis. 
  • i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
  • DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    Obviously I have no idea of how powerful these things are, but “big data” is a massive part of business these days.  I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that it includes all sorts of stats like completed passes per game, marks out of 10, crosses, KMs run per game etc.