Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    Obviously I have no idea of how powerful these things are, but “big data” is a massive part of business these days.  I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that it includes all sorts of stats like completed passes per game, marks out of 10, crosses, KMs run per game etc.  
    do the algorithms take into account the human aspect of players?, surely that’s the one thing a stat can never really account for?, I genuinely don’t know about such things, but the character of someone is usually very high on a managers checklist and separates an otherwise average player statistically to an above average player. This is what I would question about stats orientated signings. I’m guessing all this is taken into account in the process?.
  • DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    DOUCHER said:
    Obviously I have no idea of how powerful these things are, but “big data” is a massive part of business these days.  I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that it includes all sorts of stats like completed passes per game, marks out of 10, crosses, KMs run per game etc.  
    Surely it’s about using all the tools available to you, one of the main ideas behind using stats is picking out players that others won’t. A player could be ideal for our style of play despite not standing out in certain areas. 

I’d be very surprised if the black box doesn’t included those stats and a lot more. It won’t just be player profiles with position, injury history, discipline etc.

Whether a player was first identified using analytics, traditional scouting or recommendations isn’t the important thing. Big test for the set up this summer after having a year to iron out issues and really establish how it’s used and who’s involved.
  • edited June 2022
    I feel much better about Hylton than I do about Marquis. Neither would be my first choice though. The prospect of another Watson/Gunter/Arter type is much stronger with Marquis than it is with Hylton IMO.

Hylton got minutes (4 goals in 17 apps) for Luton  who finished in the Championship play-offs. Marquis barely made an impact at Lincoln.
  • edited June 2022
    I feel much better about Hylton than I do about Marquis. Neither would be my first choice though. The prospect of another Watson/Gunter/Arter type is much stronger with Marquis than it is with Hylton IMO.

Hylton got minutes (4 goals in 17 apps) for Luton  who finished in the Championship play-offs. Marquis barely made an impact at Lincoln.
    Hylton also didn't score in 30 appearances before that. Marquis is a proven League 1 goalscorer. Admittedly Hylton only had the one season in League 1 for Luton but in a Championship winning team he was third choice. Plus that was probably when he was in his prime. I think bottom end of League 1/top end of League 2 beckons for him. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    They are using the Charlton Life black box. Height the only metric 
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

Where's Johnny Williams?
    Getting ready for the World Cup.......

I am sure Elliot Lee will be watching 😚
    He's not in the League 2 Team of the Year because he's getting ready for the world cup?
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

Where's Johnny Williams?

He's not in the League 2 Team of the Year because he's getting ready for the world cup?
    Yup keeping the Swindon bench warm so he was fit a ready for those important qualifying games :-)
  • DOUCHER said:
    I would guess it is used a lot more than that, and probably similar at most football clubs. They will definitely be using it to identify targets for each position. I have no problem with this, providing the manager is happy with the player and checks are done their character etc… the problem I have is that Martin is in charge of the analysis, rather than someone who had been working in football as a recruitment analyst with years of experience 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Where's Johnny Williams?

Yup keeping the Swindon bench warm so he was fit a ready for those important qualifying games :-)
    He'll be keeping our bench warm soon :(
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Where's Johnny Williams?

He'll be keeping our bench warm soon :(
    😃😃😃😃

All your Johnny facts for your reading pleasure 

https://alphanewscall.com/2022/05/04/johnny-williams-net-worth-height-age-gay/amp/

I don't even know what this is 🤯🤯 I read it so now you have to as well.

• Hahahhaa! "Is Johnny Williams Gay?"

That's got to be written by AI 
  • I feel much better about Hylton than I do about Marquis. Neither would be my first choice though. The prospect of another Watson/Gunter/Arter type is much stronger with Marquis than it is with Hylton IMO.

Hylton also didn't score in 30 appearances before that. Marquis is a proven League 1 goalscorer. Admittedly Hylton only had the one season in League 1 for Luton but in a Championship winning team he was third choice. Plus that was probably when he was in his prime. I think bottom end of League 1/top end of League 2 beckons for him. 
    Not saying I love either of them but if I had to choose one, I’d go with Hylton. 
  • Chunes said:
    Hahahhaa! "Is Johnny Williams Gay?"

That's got to be written by AI 
    Nothing intelligent about it......
  • I feel much better about Hylton than I do about Marquis. Neither would be my first choice though. The prospect of another Watson/Gunter/Arter type is much stronger with Marquis than it is with Hylton IMO.

Not saying I love either of them but if I had to choose one, I’d go with Hylton. 
    Fair enough, I feel the same that I probably wouldn't want either but I'd go Marquis if I had to. 
  • Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

12 League goals since 18/19 I doubt any of those clubs are interested. Thats some really poor agent work right there, I mean come on, make it slightly realistic!
    can't see any of them teams linked being interested - he looked like a nuisance factor and nothing more in the game i saw him play 
    Martin’s football analytics tool

Name: Danny Hylton
    Player type: nuisance
    Position: striker

High press ✅  (if legs haven’t gone)
    Goalscorer ❌

Decision: shortlist as 10th choice, sign on deadline day if all other targets missed
    That's hilarious, you should do one for every potential signing  :)
  • Isn't that a photo of our new manager?

Or at least what he'll look like before the end of the season! :smile:

• NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I would guess it is used a lot more than that, and probably similar at most football clubs. They will definitely be using it to identify targets for each position. I have no problem with this, providing the manager is happy with the player and checks are done their character etc… the problem I have is that Martin is in charge of the analysis, rather than someone who had been working in football as a recruitment analyst with years of experience 
    He is head of the analyst team. Are you saying that none of them have been working in football before?
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He is head of the analyst team. Are you saying that none of them have been working in football before?
    Director of Analysis is his role. The rest of the team I am sure have worked in football and are qualified for their roles but that doesn’t mean it’s ok for the head to be unqualified. He wouldn’t have got that position at any other club in the football league so I think it’s fair to say it’s a slight concern that he is there and that if we had advertised the job there would have been better candidates 
  • edited June 2022

Hylton is old enough to be my dad and I am over 70.
    Three years between them ('89 vs '92). Does that make Marquis old enough to be your uncle?
  • NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Director of Analysis is his role. The rest of the team I am sure have worked in football and are qualified for their roles but that doesn’t mean it’s ok for the head to be unqualified. He wouldn’t have got that position at any other club in the football league so I think it’s fair to say it’s a slight concern that he is there and that if we had advertised the job there would have been better candidates 
    Maybe. But Martin Sandgaaard has been in the role for several months now and works closely with Steve Gallen. 
    He must be picking up practical knowhow and experience while working on the job.

• NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Martin's role has either been previously over hyped by his dad.  There could be many reasons why he did that, from proud dad, shift the blame onto Adkins and Roddy etc. 

Or his role changed and he has less influence than he did.

Or Gallen is telling porkies.

What's happened has happened.  What's going to happen next is the important bit.

If lessons have been learnt, improvements made that's fine.  If they haven't well who knows.  Only time will tell.
  • Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He has never worked in data analysis never mind football!
  • Has your son got a hard shot though?
  • edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He has never worked in data analysis never mind football!
    Better than that, he has managed a team of data analysts for a long time. Do you know any data analysts? Can they get figures you want? Can they interpret them? Do they tell you that figures don’t lie?

The identifying of players is a small part of the job anyway, with the majority of the work concentrating on players fitness. They don’t wear those bras for fun!

He is working alongside SG which must be a fantastic experience and a great education. He did of course also play football at a better level than most, so it’s not like he has never watched a game.
    But he also has a role representing and reporting to his dad and this role within the Club that allows him to do that.

Martin could be our owner at some point, and there must be a fair chance that he will be our CEO. Best he learns by doing these jobs IMO. It is what I would do if it was my son.
    Source?

Has anyone ever said Martin is involved in performance analysis?

Which is a completely different job.
  • paulfox said:
    DOUCHER said:
    do the algorithms take into account the human aspect of players?, surely that’s the one thing a stat can never really account for?, I genuinely don’t know about such things, but the character of someone is usually very high on a managers checklist and separates an otherwise average player statistically to an above average player. This is what I would question about stats orientated signings. I’m guessing all this is taken into account in the process?.
    Garner went out his way to say in the OS interview how important those intangible aspects like character and personality are in the recruitment process and how much weight he gives to them, not relying just on stats.

I was very pleased to hear it.
    Yes likewise.👍