Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Interesting views from Neil Harris on the transfer market.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/harris-take-it-or-leave-it-268417

He splits it into three sections.

We’re currently moving out of “silly season” where agents “make numbers up”.

It moves to “sensible business time” with players returning to training around 20-24 June. Players start to panic when they see former teammates and friends training.

It then becomes a buyers market.
    There’s also this today: https://twitter.com/sthlondonpress/status/1535158636816830464?s=21&t=YGhOsyX37r_RNRAUCoPATw

and Chris Wilder also saying a similar quote and on the video of his transfer deadline day back at Sheffield United you can see how hard it is to get deals done.

so that’s Harris, Rowett & Wilder, 3 good managers who are intelligent chaps in this area, all of which have said the market is silly business. Yet when our owner says this in an article he gets pelters by impatient man babies on Twitter. The funny thing is even if we sign these players today or a month from now it’s out of our control yet people still get worked up, bizarre behaviour. 

I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Ghanas number 1, made team of the season, contract is up in the summer and I imagine would be the kind of keeper Garner wants. 

McG is absolutely turd with his feet and AMB is up in the air due to his injury record imo, I reckon we will have a new #1 next season. 
    The keeper is an interesting one. 25 so a good age, but has made less than 50 league appearances.

Made the league two team of the season despite Swindon having the worst defensive record in the top 10, so are we to assume he kept them in a lot of games and they'd have leaked more without him?

Ghana international but hasn't been away with them for their games this month. Is he injured?
    I’ll check again but believe he’s injured atm. He must have very good stats as the keeper he pipped to the TOTS is Liam Roberts of Northampton who conceded 38 goals in 46 and managed 21 clean sheets. 

Joe Wollacott by comparison played 37 conceded 45 and managed 10 clean sheets. 

Seems like a bit of a farce actually but I can only assume Joe had great save stats whereas Roberts had a great defence infront of him, I know Jon Guthrie who plays as a centre back for Northampton (also in team of the year) was getting great reviews by league 2 fans 
  • RedRobin said:
    Or part of the deal for McKirdy? 
    Or the compensation package for the manager and his staff?
  • ButtleJR said:
    Maybe that’s the problem, Martins been using a Commodore 64 hence being a bit slow, it’s just analysed Davison isn’t very good!!, better late than never🤣… good job MS👍
  • edited June 2022
    Important to remember we are near the bottom of the food chain when it comes to transfer chains. For example, if Kirk was to go Blackpool. It would probably involve someone signing one of their players. Blackpool then signing Kirk, before we can sign someone. 

Additionally, a lot of Championship clubs don’t allow players to go on loan until after they out of the league cup. If teams get through to the 2nd round their squad players are normally kept at the club for an extra week or two.
  • edited June 2022
    ButtleJR said:

That is strange on so many levels ?
    Why was Lisa Knight's daughter filming just as Davison walked by ? 🤷🏻‍♂️
    How close to Swindon training ground is that ?🤔
    Is it really open public land right next to her French Windows or did Davison take a short cut through her garden 😎

• ButtleJR said:
    Judging from the screaming, her daughter isn't impressed  ;)
  • edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Looks like the compensation for the back room guys has been sorted 😉
    Swindon will probably sling him the car boot of one of the back room team and he will end up back at Sparrows Lane. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Judging from the screaming, her daughter isn't impressed  ;)
    Swear the baby says "Oh no!".
  • For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

How many of those have people heard of / know about, and are any of those better than what we already have?
    Kane Wilson from that group isnt available now... He's gone to Bristol City
    A great move for him, and another example of a player who does well in L2 jumping to the Championship
  • Fair play to Josh, he does look like a high end footballer off the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Who knows with Davison, although Swindon’s transfer embargo was lifted at the end of the season.
  • shirty5 said:
    Serious work needed if this squad will be anyone close to the top 6.

18 players which includes 3 keepers. At least half a dozen of that 18 are either not good enough at this level or injury prone. 

Garner and Gallen need to get their heads together and work hard. Plus ignore the other distractions from elsewhere. 

Already Garner has started watching Charlton games from last season. He can make his own mind up from those and early on in pre season training  who’s good enough for this coming campaign. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Or part of the deal for McKirdy? 
    That would be a great bit of business if true.
  • For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

How many of those have people heard of / know about, and are any of those better than what we already have?

So ignoring Wollacott as he’s been mentioned, 

Guthrie played LCB at Northampton, 8 goals and left footed. Obviously kept 21 clean sheets in 46 games. Has one of the best aerial stats in league 2 from what I saw from some person who posts data from that league. A player I’d like us to sign out of that lot as it’s a position we need, he’s 29 though, turns 30 in July and I am not sure if we will pay a fee for an ‘older’ player. Definitely would be a coup though imo 

Jordan Turnbull I’m not too sure about, again left footer, younger at 27 but I know previously height has been his issue, he’s just about 6’1 and apparently struggles with the physical battles. He is a centre back that can pass though and notched up 4 assists last season so may fit into our system. Wouldn’t require a fee like Guthrie. Also on a side note he has/had a very high average rating on who scored for anyone who believes in that 

Peter Clarke is 40 and very much from the Jason Pearce academy of footballing. That’s an immediate no. 

Kane Wilson is not worth discussing as he’s already on his way to a championship team. 

Nicky Cadden is the full back I’d prefer from FGR and he has been linked with Plymouth, Pompey and a few championship sides, wand of a left foot but mainly deployed as a left wing back in a back 5. Racked up 6 goals, 12 assist  from that position. If we are to keep Stockers I imagine that’s a player who can really get the best out of him. FGR managed 19 clean sheets in 46 conceding 44 in that time. Not sure how influential he was in that but he must have chipped in defensively similar to CBT and DJ do. 

Finn Azaz is an Aston Villa loanee who I expect will now have championship interest, 7 goals and 7 assist from centre mid and Newport fans have said he’s unreal. Only watched highlights but he is very talented. Could be a loan option, he is currently linked with anyone. The kind of player you’d like to sign with an option to buy like Famewo. 

Timothee Dieng is an interesting one, all action centre defensive mid, was relegated back to back with Southend I think and then picked up by Exeter and looks like one of the best mids in the league. 12 goals from midfield, maintained an average rating of 7.16 across 33 games from central midfield compared to Dobbos 6.76, obviously in a lower league. 4.2 aerial duals won per game compared to Dobsons 1.1, 2 shots per game compared to Dobsons 0.3. Last thing of note really is he makes 30 passes a game on average compared to Dobsons 40 passes and Dobson has the higher success rate with 78 compared to Diengs 66. Made the comparison mainly as Dobson is our designated anchor. Dieng seems like a solid player to have at the base of a diamond or in a double pivot (where he played for Exeter) so I’m not sure if he would suit us, another one who is also 30 and I can’t see us paying a fee for a player with no resale value 

Harry McKirdy should now be our number 1 target imo. Just come off an incredible season, we have a manager who knows exactly how to play to his strengths, he’s quick, can play multiple positions, he’s 25 so exactly at the right age and entering into his prime years and most importantly is a proper villain. I love players like him, he has fans on strings and when you have a player like that it takes pressure off of other players and he don’t seem to be the type to be bothered by it. We need a right forward/winger and he is the man for the job. The most no brainer signing we can make, not even gonna mention his stats, just watch him. 

Matt Stevens is a player that’s gone under the radar a bit, haven’t really seen anyone linked with him but he bagged 23 league goals in 35 appearances, he’s only 24 and has a really high pass success rate for a league 2 centre forward, 76% and over compared to Jaydens 50% which is a concern. He’s certainly a forward who prefers it on the deck despite him being a fairly big lad, average of 1.4 aerial duals won per game compared to Jaydens 7.9! Shows really how much we actually lumped it up to Stockley, or maybe how much FGR didn’t lump it. Could be an interesting signing all in all as he appears to be a pretty well rounded player.

Dom Telford, obviously league 2’s top scorer 25 league goals in 37 appearances, definitely doesn’t pass the Charlton life height test but from what I can tell is about to become a free agent. From what I can see he’s just rapid and good on the finish, from the season gone anyway. Have the feeling if we signed him he would be Charltonised. 

So all in all from that list, 

Harry McKirdy is a 100% yes
    Nicky Cadden is a 100% yes

then after that I’m not too sure. I would personally like Guthrie as he is a left footer and a unit but we are looking for the ball playing centre backs more now so a player like Turnbull may suit us more. Either way there’s some good players there and a lot of them would be welcome additions

yes, it’s also a slow day 

Have you hacked martins Commodore 64?😂😂
  • paulfox said:
    For what it's worth, both McKirdy and Wollacott were named in the L2 team of the season, which suggests a certain amount of pedigree

So ignoring Wollacott as he’s been mentioned, 

Guthrie played LCB at Northampton, 8 goals and left footed. Obviously kept 21 clean sheets in 46 games. Has one of the best aerial stats in league 2 from what I saw from some person who posts data from that league. A player I’d like us to sign out of that lot as it’s a position we need, he’s 29 though, turns 30 in July and I am not sure if we will pay a fee for an ‘older’ player. Definitely would be a coup though imo 

Jordan Turnbull I’m not too sure about, again left footer, younger at 27 but I know previously height has been his issue, he’s just about 6’1 and apparently struggles with the physical battles. He is a centre back that can pass though and notched up 4 assists last season so may fit into our system. Wouldn’t require a fee like Guthrie. Also on a side note he has/had a very high average rating on who scored for anyone who believes in that 

Peter Clarke is 40 and very much from the Jason Pearce academy of footballing. That’s an immediate no. 

Kane Wilson is not worth discussing as he’s already on his way to a championship team. 

Nicky Cadden is the full back I’d prefer from FGR and he has been linked with Plymouth, Pompey and a few championship sides, wand of a left foot but mainly deployed as a left wing back in a back 5. Racked up 6 goals, 12 assist  from that position. If we are to keep Stockers I imagine that’s a player who can really get the best out of him. FGR managed 19 clean sheets in 46 conceding 44 in that time. Not sure how influential he was in that but he must have chipped in defensively similar to CBT and DJ do. 

Finn Azaz is an Aston Villa loanee who I expect will now have championship interest, 7 goals and 7 assist from centre mid and Newport fans have said he’s unreal. Only watched highlights but he is very talented. Could be a loan option, he is currently linked with anyone. The kind of player you’d like to sign with an option to buy like Famewo. 

Timothee Dieng is an interesting one, all action centre defensive mid, was relegated back to back with Southend I think and then picked up by Exeter and looks like one of the best mids in the league. 12 goals from midfield, maintained an average rating of 7.16 across 33 games from central midfield compared to Dobbos 6.76, obviously in a lower league. 4.2 aerial duals won per game compared to Dobsons 1.1, 2 shots per game compared to Dobsons 0.3. Last thing of note really is he makes 30 passes a game on average compared to Dobsons 40 passes and Dobson has the higher success rate with 78 compared to Diengs 66. Made the comparison mainly as Dobson is our designated anchor. Dieng seems like a solid player to have at the base of a diamond or in a double pivot (where he played for Exeter) so I’m not sure if he would suit us, another one who is also 30 and I can’t see us paying a fee for a player with no resale value 

Harry McKirdy should now be our number 1 target imo. Just come off an incredible season, we have a manager who knows exactly how to play to his strengths, he’s quick, can play multiple positions, he’s 25 so exactly at the right age and entering into his prime years and most importantly is a proper villain. I love players like him, he has fans on strings and when you have a player like that it takes pressure off of other players and he don’t seem to be the type to be bothered by it. We need a right forward/winger and he is the man for the job. The most no brainer signing we can make, not even gonna mention his stats, just watch him. 

Matt Stevens is a player that’s gone under the radar a bit, haven’t really seen anyone linked with him but he bagged 23 league goals in 35 appearances, he’s only 24 and has a really high pass success rate for a league 2 centre forward, 76% and over compared to Jaydens 50% which is a concern. He’s certainly a forward who prefers it on the deck despite him being a fairly big lad, average of 1.4 aerial duals won per game compared to Jaydens 7.9! Shows really how much we actually lumped it up to Stockley, or maybe how much FGR didn’t lump it. Could be an interesting signing all in all as he appears to be a pretty well rounded player.

Dom Telford, obviously league 2’s top scorer 25 league goals in 37 appearances, definitely doesn’t pass the Charlton life height test but from what I can tell is about to become a free agent. From what I can see he’s just rapid and good on the finish, from the season gone anyway. Have the feeling if we signed him he would be Charltonised. 

So all in all from that list, 

Harry McKirdy is a 100% yes
    Nicky Cadden is a 100% yes

then after that I’m not too sure. I would personally like Guthrie as he is a left footer and a unit but we are looking for the ball playing centre backs more now so a player like Turnbull may suit us more. Either way there’s some good players there and a lot of them would be welcome additions

yes, it’s also a slow day 

Have you hacked martins Commodore 64?😂😂
    Martin told me to post this on his behalf 
  • Have we signed anyone yet?
  • Poxy quote glitch, sorry 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    thenewbie said:
    McKirdy seems a natural choice due to managerial links but even if not him, we need someone in that mould - a Watt, a Kermorgant, even a Taylor. A maverick shitbird who other teams and fans hate but provide dark arts and genuine magic in equal measure.

Great summing up.
    Watt against Huddersfield in the £5 game and I think it was Forest when Tony magic feet ran the clock down by the line and they couldn't get the ball off him. His fitness levels were poor at that time in his career and he couldn't do the dirty work rate of a striker as he blew out of his arse quickly.

Kermorgant, the moody X factor player who was good for Charlton and even better at Bournemouth where he got the ball to his feet as much as his head when playing as a number 10 behind Wilson. At Palace in the 2-1 defeat ,(Murray was the difference)  Yann sulked in the dug out after the game as he was only given 20 mins or so in the 2nd half.

Taylor, persona non Grata at Cafc now but a great signing for Cafc and was the only striker we had in the 2nd part of our Play-off season. Shocking ending to his Cafc career.
  • Davison put pics on instagram last night of him in Cyprus so not sure when this person took the photo. Could have been any time in his loan spell.
  • cafc4life said:
    Davison put pics on instagram last night of him in Cyprus so not sure when this person took the photo. Could have been any time in his loan spell.
    People can post photos from the past. Assume he's posted them after getting back. Hard to know either way though. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Proves nothing. Every man in Swindon has a pony tail. Fact.
  • paulfox said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i see the black box thing as just a useful check on stats, injuries, disciplinaries etc etc - i doubt its ever used as a primary way of identifying players  
    Obviously I have no idea of how powerful these things are, but “big data” is a massive part of business these days.  I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that it includes all sorts of stats like completed passes per game, marks out of 10, crosses, KMs run per game etc.  
    do the algorithms take into account the human aspect of players?, surely that’s the one thing a stat can never really account for?, I genuinely don’t know about such things, but the character of someone is usually very high on a managers checklist and separates an otherwise average player statistically to an above average player. This is what I would question about stats orientated signings. I’m guessing all this is taken into account in the process?.
    Garner went out his way to say in the OS interview how important those intangible aspects like character and personality are in the recruitment process and how much weight he gives to them, not relying just on stats.

I was very pleased to hear it.
    Mmmm……wonder here that leaves us with Kirk?
  • swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Can we have a Martin Sandgaard thread?
    @JamesSeed I wasn't having a dig at you with my reply BTW.
    No it’s fine. It’s just I’m trying to reduce my ‘screen time’, and when I see there are 70 new posts on a thread I’m interested in it’s disappointing to find they’re all about perms, or about one particular player who left us a year or two back. (Perm photos were great btw, and someone did start a new thread in the end). 👍
  • thenewbie said:
    McKirdy seems a natural choice due to managerial links but even if not him, we need someone in that mould - a Watt, a Kermorgant, even a Taylor. A maverick shitbird who other teams and fans hate but provide dark arts and genuine magic in equal measure.
    Exactly this, as much as I dislike Taylor now, at the time gave me such a memorable season, his antics on on the pitch were brilliant to watch. 

McKirdy made this after playing Carlisle and having bad history with them
  • Have we signed anyone yet?
    Yes, but we're just waiting on Sandgaard to leave the country before announcing them...
    And the window to shut. 
  • Redrobo said:
    The BBC web site has an article on the transfer window opening for Premiership. In the article it says that the window for teams in the EFL opened when the season ended.
    Just saying.
    The last match in the EFL season was the Championship playoff final, 29th May.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Have we signed anyone yet?
    Yes, but we're just waiting on Sandgaard to leave the country before announcing them...
    And the window to shut. 
    Slam shut.