Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Once upon a time we talked about signing players from the World Cup or Euros. Now we're getting excited on raiding players from a side that finished 6th in League 2. Hopefully, in my lifetime too, we will get back to the former scenario. 
    I wish you a long life
  • I reckon we’ll get a couple in by the weekend.

• J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Leuth said:
    Unclear whether that's magnificent bastardry or just bastardry
    It's a grown man making up rumours on social media. It's embarrassing. 
    You must be fun at parties.
    Because I don't find made up transfer rumours funny? Jesus 
    Oh, are we going to be signing Jesus 😜
  • If you can get 35 plus games each from Innis and Aneke you have two immense players at this level. I presume the view is this is possible as Aneke was signed for a significant fee and Inniss was kept on. We do not seem to know very much about the underlying issues.
  • A little thing but a key one for me is that Gallen confirmed that they are concentrating quite a lot on sending scouts to u23 games.  

Really good to hear, definitely the right approach looking to aim for players with potential who get released further up the pyramid.
    Absolutely agree, however remember those two u'23 players we signed on loan last season? No me neither. I've never doubted the intention behind the scenes, just the ability and knowledge.

Our recruitment last season was appalling, I have little faith it will improve as dramatically we we need it to this summer. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I reckon Kanu is going to play a big part this season
    I didn't watch much U23/U18 last season. Was he playing out wide at all or just through the middle? Think he could definitely get games if he can play on the right or left of a front 3 but think he will struggle to play through the middle on his own
  • Sponsored links:

• A little thing but a key one for me is that Gallen confirmed that they are concentrating quite a lot on sending scouts to u23 games.  

Really good to hear, definitely the right approach looking to aim for players with potential who get released further up the pyramid.
    Absolutely agree, however remember those two u'23 players we signed on loan last season? No me neither. I've never doubted the intention behind the scenes, just the ability and knowledge.

Our recruitment last season was appalling, I have little faith it will improve as dramatically we we need it to this summer. 
    Nile John probably would have done better under Garner...
  • NabySarr said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    I didn't watch much U23/U18 last season. Was he playing out wide at all or just through the middle? Think he could definitely get games if he can play on the right or left of a front 3 but think he will struggle to play through the middle on his own
    Kanu definitely spent some time playing wide, started there in a couple of the streamed games. Not sure how regularly he played there though.
  • If you can get 35 plus games each from Innis and Aneke you have two immense players at this level. I presume the view is this is possible as Aneke was signed for a significant fee and Inniss was kept on. We do not seem to know very much about the underlying issues.
    Both made of glass. 
    Aneke as an impact sub.
    Inniss playing no more than 15   90 minute games is about all we can expect 

• Scoham said:
    Our owner wants us to play possession based dynamic passing football, it is likely we are going to be bringing in a young progressive manager whose team had the number one stats in the relevant areas in league last season. 

Why wouldn’t we be linked with a player, on a free, who had the 4th highest pass success rate in the league last year, and by all means is a local lad and player we have looked to sign in the past?

Does not seem that out there a bit of business to me. 

Well said... it is not as though he cannot play so why make a scape goat of him before he arrives and plays.
    No one has made Bostock a scapegoat. Having doubts about whether a player relegated with Doncaster who also spent a lot of time out injured would be a good signing isn’t scapegoating at all. We already have two players in Inniss and Aneke who struggle to play twice a week, Bostock would likely be another.
     Your last statement is on the way to making him a scape goat 🐐.  

He certainly plays more regularly than Sick note Aneke. 
    As usual, that's incorrect. 
    We saw Aneke how many times and how many of those were 90 mins  ? 
    Aneke played 31 times last season, which was 6 more games than Bostock. The season before he played 41, 23 times more than Bostock. You have to go back to 2016/2017 to find a season where Bostock played more games than Aneke. 

Admittedly, Aneke does struggle to play 90 minutes but the fact is he impacts games regardless of whether he starts or not. That's the stat that really matters, not how long he plays for. 
    He struggles to play 25 minutes.  Perhaps he makes up for it by working from home ?😃
    He done a lot more in his "25 minutes" than Bogle did starting. I appreciate you've got a real issue with a player not being able to start, I actually get that, but surely you can understand it's all about what he does when he is on the pitch? Ultimately, that is what determines whether he's successful and whether he's an asset.
    Why introduce Bogle... that is not the argument. 
    I have a problem  with a player who can not start or cannot finish a game but this bloke cost £300k . How many minutes did he do at Birmingham ?  The number of games may be immaterial if it is low and ask yourself this. Bowyer was quick to return him but why ?
    The argument is about how effective Aneke is, despite his lack of minutes. I’d rather an Aneke than a Bogle, wouldn’t you? 

Him costing 300k is not Aneke’s fault. 

Why introduce Birmingham, that is not the argument. They are in the league above, I don’t care how effective he was there, I only care about how good he is for us in League 1. He’s proven how good he can be, that’s a fact. 
    When he plays he is effective.  The problem is he doesn't play to often for  us does he ?
    Except he actually does. He's made plenty of appearances for us. Does he play for 90 minutes in each and every one of them? No, far from it. But his actual number of appearances is far higher than you seem to think.
  • Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Kanu definitely spent some time playing wide, started there in a couple of the streamed games. Not sure how regularly he played there though.

Leaburn is your big central striker so when he starts Daniel Kanu was picking up the ball wider on the right but drifted into the box when the attack is built down the left flank. That was only the few games I saw and the amount of goals Kanu scores tells you he's a predator in around the area.

Look forward to seeing him become part of the squad under Garner and put pressure on the forwards who start ahead of him.
  • NabySarr said:
    Recruitment process:
    https://youtu.be/sQquQGspI3Y
    Great interview, just wish it had been cleared up earlier as a lot of rumours spread about it. Sounds like Gallen still has a lot of influence and the manager can say yes/no to players. Still a concern that Martin is director of analysis but I feel a lot more confident about this summer after hearing that interview 
    There is your key word. 
  • Excellent interviews with Stevie G and Ben G.
    Ben says all the right things, ticks a lot of boxes, and I can see why Thomas went for him.

My only concern is will the fans & will Thomas give him time, space and support to implement his ideas, is the job too big for him, and are the expectations too high?
  • NabySarr said:
    Recruitment process:
    https://youtu.be/sQquQGspI3Y
    Great interview, just wish it had been cleared up earlier as a lot of rumours spread about it. Sounds like Gallen still has a lot of influence and the manager can say yes/no to players. Still a concern that Martin is director of analysis but I feel a lot more confident about this summer after hearing that interview 
    There is your key word. 
    Rumours spread because of conflicting messages.
  • edited June 2022
    I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Ghanas number 1, made team of the season, contract is up in the summer and I imagine would be the kind of keeper Garner wants. 

McG is absolutely turd with his feet and AMB is up in the air due to his injury record imo, I reckon we will have a new #1 next season. 
    Don't disagree but I'd imagine we'll have to flog one first. I'd probably try get rid of McG as AMB is younger but not sure anyone will want him. Back to Pompey maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Ghanas number 1, made team of the season, contract is up in the summer and I imagine would be the kind of keeper Garner wants. 

McG is absolutely turd with his feet and AMB is up in the air due to his injury record imo, I reckon we will have a new #1 next season. 
    Don't disagree but I'd imagine we'll have to flow one first. I'd probably try get rid of McG as AMB is younger but not sure anyone will want him. Back to Pompey maybe?
    No doubt we will, I’d also prefer that but as you said who is gonna want him. A goalie who can play a bit and isn’t a panicker will be really  important in this team now and I just don’t see McG fitting in. Pompey have lost their loaned  goalie so could be a shout. I would certainly prefer a keeper who suits Garners style of play either way. 

We obviously don’t wanna sign every Swindon player as people have jested, but Wollacott, Egbo, McKirdy, Payne and Reed would all be very good additions to the squad. That solves the keeper issue, right back issue, healthy completion in midfield and a forward that has been successful under our manager and can play across that front 3 in the famous ‘high press’ 

very excited to see what kind of signings we make and how this Charlton team will look 
    Yeah I'd certainly be happy with Wollacott if we can offload a keeper and Payne. Don't know much about Egbo, I know he played well for them but what was it, 10 games? Kelser might be a better bet at right-back and has had a decent few months in League 1 with MK. 

Think the problem we've got in CM if we have Dobson, Fraser, JFC, Gilbey, Clare and Morgan. Again think we're going to need an outgoing or two. 

McKirdy is an interesting one and I will of course trust Garner on it. Just a bit concerned it was a one off, but if he does join I hope it's because he suited Garner's style and he can pick off where he ended at Swindon. 

I too am excited, I just hope we have enough budget to get the players needed. 
  • edited June 2022
    I reckon we will end up with Joe Wollacott (Swindon’s goalie) and that will be some coup.

Don't disagree but I'd imagine we'll have to flow one first. I'd probably try get rid of McG as AMB is younger but not sure anyone will want him. Back to Pompey maybe?
    No doubt we will, I’d also prefer that but as you said who is gonna want him. A goalie who can play a bit and isn’t a panicker will be really  important in this team now and I just don’t see McG fitting in. Pompey have lost their loaned  goalie so could be a shout. I would certainly prefer a keeper who suits Garners style of play either way. 

We obviously don’t wanna sign every Swindon player as people have jested, but Wollacott, Egbo, McKirdy, Payne and Reed would all be very good additions to the squad. That solves the keeper issue, right back issue, healthy completion in midfield and a forward that has been successful under our manager and can play across that front 3 in the famous ‘high press’ 

very excited to see what kind of signings we make and how this Charlton team will look 
    Yeah I'd certainly be happy with Wollacott if we can offload a keeper and Payne. Don't know much about Egbo, I know he played well for them but what was it, 10 games? Kelser might be a better bet at right-back and has had a decent few months in League 1 with MK. 

Think the problem we've got in CM if we have Dobson, Fraser, JFC, Gilbey, Clare and Morgan. Again think we're going to need an outgoing or two. 

McKirdy is an interesting one and I will of course trust Garner on it. Just a bit concerned it was a one off, but if he does join I hope it's because he suited Garner's style and he can pick off where he ended at Swindon. 

I too am excited, I just hope we have enough budget to get the players needed. 
    Kelser would be on loan is the only issue and I’m never a fan of loan defenders, feel like that’s an area we need to get right and build on, always feel midfielders or forwards on loan are easier to replace, of course just my opinion. 

I reckon midfield will be fine if we bring in two more, long old season and we now know we will be playing a midfield 3. Going to need 6 centre mids I would say, we have 5 but one is absolutely pants. 

I think McKirdy would hit the ground running with us but again just a hunch. 

Egbo stats below, interesting career so far. He notched up 3 assists in 10 games for Swindon from what I can see online. If you watch him in those games as well he travels with the ball so well, if he can defend he’s a no brainier

• Maybe we sign both RBs and let them fight it out? We will need 2 after all. 

I’d say both Morgan and Gilbey are disposable. If we can offload one then yeah we can bring in two plus Clare as 7th choice. 
  • Wollacott enjoys playing at the Valley. https://youtu.be/C2Mk9pTxIqY
  • Swindon have a few out of contract.  Must say McKirdle isn’t one I’d heard of until recently but he scored some superb goals last season.  Seems like a bit of a character too. 

He reminds me a lot of Ricky Holmes - not positionally but just his energy and ability to score stunners.  He could be an interesting proposition 
  • Swisdom said:
    Swindon have a few out of contract.  Must say McKirdle isn’t one I’d heard of until recently but he scored some superb goals last season.  Seems like a bit of a character too. 

He reminds me a lot of Ricky Holmes - not positionally but just his energy and ability to score stunners.  He could be an interesting proposition 
    Could fit in well.

• Serious work needed if this squad will be anyone close to the top 6.

18 players which includes 3 keepers. At least half a dozen of that 18 are either not good enough at this level or injury prone. 

Garner and Gallen need to get their heads together and work hard. Plus ignore the other distractions from elsewhere.