Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Bournesnr said:
    Good as Tucker may be is a right sided centre back a priority, we already have Lavelle and some promising youngsters coming through in that position, would have thought we are more in need of a left sided centre back.
    Naby Sarr, a French left sided CB,  has been released by Huddersfield.

Good on the ball and dominant in the air he would be a great signing if he's willing to take a big pay cut.
    I was sorry when he left us and see no reason why he wouldn’t be welcomed back…..salary might be a problem though now he’s tasted Championship wages for a while.
  • sam3110 said:
    But if we play 3 at the back at all you need one of them to be left sided, they can't all be right footed
    Chelsea do ok with it? 
  • Playing out from the back is a lot easier if you have a left footed centre back, unless we can find a right footer good with both feet (probably unlikely at this level). I think we will definitely be looking for at least 1 left footed CB.

Inniss played on the left against Norwich and was good there, would definitely be confident in him playing there in a back 4, though obviously not confident in him playing more than 15 games 
  • sam3110 said:
    But if we play 3 at the back at all you need one of them to be left sided, they can't all be right footed
    Chelsea do ok with it? 
    And of course our players are going to be of a similar calibre to Rudiger, Christensen and Thiago Silva aren't they?
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Chelsea do ok with it? 
    And of course our players are going to be of a similar calibre to Rudiger, Christensen and Thiago Silva aren't they?
    Why do they need to be? 
  • NabySarr said:
    Playing out from the back is a lot easier if you have a left footed centre back, unless we can find a right footer good with both feet (probably unlikely at this level). I think we will definitely be looking for at least 1 left footed CB.

Inniss played on the left against Norwich and was good there, would definitely be confident in him playing there in a back 4, though obviously not confident in him playing more than 15 games 
    Well they could use the outside of the boot, and if they are under a lot of pressure anywhere will do.
    I am not convinced that a professional footballer should not be able to use both feet anyway. It just requires work and they have not a lot else to do. 
    A CH being right footed helps with players cutting in, which is a bit more dangerous than forcing them wide.
    Not a lot in it IMO.
  • Scoham said:
    Preferred the one about not announcing VAR decision until after the game, to stop time wasting as no one will know whether they have won or not.
  • Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:
    Playing out from the back is a lot easier if you have a left footed centre back, unless we can find a right footer good with both feet (probably unlikely at this level). I think we will definitely be looking for at least 1 left footed CB.

Well they could use the outside of the boot, and if they are under a lot of pressure anywhere will do.
    I am not convinced that a professional footballer should not be able to use both feet anyway. It just requires work and they have not a lot else to do. 
    A CH being right footed helps with players cutting in, which is a bit more dangerous than forcing them wide.
    Not a lot in it IMO.
    I would say that pretty much every team that tries to play out from the back having left footed centre backs probably shows that it is quite important. Defensively there's not a lot in it and as you say could even be an advantage to have a right footer. But pretty much every other team in every league that plays this brand of football has left footed centre backs because it makes it so much easier when playing out from the back.

We will definitely be signing at least one of them, which will be difficult because everyone wants them at the moment with the popularity of 3 at the back so will probably be an inflated price for a permanent, maybe one for the loan market. Swindon had Romoney Crichlow on loan from Huddersfield last season (recalled and sent to plymouth in Jan) so wouldn't be shocked if he came in on loan or would be a great permanent if Huddersfield were willing to sell
  • NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:

Not a lot in it IMO.
    I would say that pretty much every team that tries to play out from the back having left footed centre backs probably shows that it is quite important. Defensively there's not a lot in it and as you say could even be an advantage to have a right footer. But pretty much every other team in every league that plays this brand of football has left footed centre backs because it makes it so much easier when playing out from the back.

We will definitely be signing at least one of them, which will be difficult because everyone wants them at the moment with the popularity of 3 at the back so will probably be an inflated price for a permanent, maybe one for the loan market. Swindon had Romoney Crichlow on loan from Huddersfield last season (recalled and sent to plymouth in Jan) so wouldn't be shocked if he came in on loan or would be a great permanent if Huddersfield were willing to sell
    I don’t think it is. I’m sure managers would prefer it but ultimately there’s not enough of them. Chelsea played Rudiger LCB, England play Maguire there and Liverpool don’t have a left footer either. Swindon did have Critchlow but didn’t replace him with a left footer. I’d suggest it’s just important players suit the style rather than them being left footed as the deciding factor. 
  • Morrison and Taylor both right footed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Ah mention of Beverley near Hull! Brings back memories of The White Horse Inn in the 1970s (known locally as Nellies). Gas lit rooms, ran at that time by some elderly sisters. First time I tasted Theakstons Old Peculiar.
  • Ah Beverley. Brings back memories of The White Horse Inn in the 1970s ( known locally as Nellies). Gas lit rooms, ran at that time by some elderly sisters. First time I tasted Old Peculiar.
    Yeah but were they ball playing centre-backs? 
  • NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:

Not a lot in it IMO.

I don’t think it is. I’m sure managers would prefer it but ultimately there’s not enough of them. Chelsea played Rudiger LCB, England play Maguire there and Liverpool don’t have a left footer either. Swindon did have Critchlow but didn’t replace him with a left footer. I’d suggest it’s just important players suit the style rather than them being left footed as the deciding factor. 
    Rudiger and Van Dijk are the best of the best so not really comparable to our level. A bad trait of Maguires is that he often takes his first touch with the outside of his right foot back inside when played left centre back rather than opening up and receiving on his left. At the top level there are lots of players good enough on the ball to do it, I think at our level it is less common so probably more likely we will get a left footer to play that role but yeah it’s not guaranteed 
  • Scoham said:
    Would probably have to be a 12 bar blues.
    "Wellll, my baby upped and left me,
    Took my best friend to her bed.
    I understood we were forever,
    she said "I understand that's not correct"
    Shelled out all my money,
    Here's the players I provide.
    Some agents double-crossed me,
    Their all sick or injured or expired"
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Redrobo said:
    NabySarr said:

Not a lot in it IMO.

Rudiger and Van Dijk are the best of the best so not really comparable to our level. A bad trait of Maguires is that he often takes his first touch with the outside of his right foot back inside when played left centre back rather than opening up and receiving on his left. At the top level there are lots of players good enough on the ball to do it, I think at our level it is less common so probably more likely we will get a left footer to play that role but yeah it’s not guaranteed 
    I get they’re not comparable, but they don’t need to be. We’re going for League 1 promotion, not the quadruple. I probably would prefer a left footer but just think it’s necessity is exaggerated, especially in a back 4. I’d prefer we got the best we can rather than prioritising finding the best left footer. It’s something we’ve had in recent years with Sarr, Pearce and Famewo but before that it’s never been an issue. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ian Evatt 2/1 next Blackpool manager. Would be a big blow for Bolton if he left.
    Ex Blackpool player so passes the Blackpool Life sat nav test.

Really high potential rating in champman99/00 as well........
    Already appointed Simon Grayson … 
    Ronnie - Why the lies?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-sunderland-boss-new-role-24174898.amp
  • Ah Beverley. Brings back memories of The White Horse Inn in the 1970s ( known locally as Nellies). Gas lit rooms, ran at that time by some elderly sisters. First time I tasted Old Peculiar.
    Yeah but were they ball playing centre-backs? 
    No they were too old and peculiar 
  • Any reason Sarr would want a drop down in wages and league levels to join us? 
  • mendonca said:
    Any reason Sarr would want a drop down in wages and league levels to join us? 
    I agree. I think he was one of our highest earners when he left and I can’t see TS targeting money on a player who is 29 in August.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    sam3110 said:

This point I have discussed with pro coaches Sam, and no surprise that when playing in a 3 at the back no problem with the RCB and the CB being right footed but the concensus is and definitely my opinion when I did my coaching of young sides was the LCB must have a good left foot as when the LWB attacks similar to Shaw in the Euro's you need your Left footed CB to cover. Also unlike Liverpool who some times have both Trent AA and Robertson forward at the same time its paramount your RWB stays back when the other wing back attacks and vice versa.

Liverpool against most sides get away with both wing backs being forward at the same time as they have Virgil van Dijk who has pace and plays like two men !

• edited June 2022
    mendonca said:
    Any reason Sarr would want a drop down in wages and league levels to join us? 
    Because he's been released? 
    Because he'd get plenty of game time? 
    Because he can't get another club? 
    Because his step-brother, Jean-Claude, has recently speculated in a fine property development just outside Eltham and is offering Naby free digs?
    Because of his deep-rooted love for the club who gave him his break in English football?
    Because he believes in the 5-year programme?

OK, conscious those got less realistic as I went on...

But can't imagine he's guaranteed plenty of Championship offers, certainly not for a starting berth. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Nabby isnt as unrealistic as some are suggesting.

He would have stayed, on less money, if it wasn't for the embargo.  He took a slight pay cut to join Huddersfield and was on a similar salary to what the likes of Watson, Gunter and probably Washington were on.

He will only be 28 when the seasons starts, stating the obvious he would only be 31 at the end of a 3 year contract, that's not old for a center half.  Especially when you consider he is probably a young 28 because he went 2 or 3 years, in his early 20s, without playing much at all, so doesn't have all that ware and tear.
    Other Championship clubs will be after him, I really can't see him being a target.. And not sure he would want to drop down after a good season in the Championship
  • edited June 2022
    Unlikely for many reasons but which Naby Sarr would we get?

The player who did the sublime 40 yard pass from wide for a Lyle Taylor goal, the player who in another match at the Valley ran the length of the pitch before playing a pass out to the wing and then in the box to score at the covered end. Even doing last ditch tackles.

Or the guy who falls over in the box and the Big Matt Smith scores a winner and the mandatory feeling of depression at the Den continued, Plus the numerous time you find you can't breath when he had the ball around his own box.

After the erratic Famewo maybe the Nabster is a step up but the Jury is out and not many players will drop their wages around 80% but will any other Championship club want the Unique player that is Naby Sarr ?

Just seen Cafc43 saying Naby took a pay cut so if that is kosher then stranger things have happened. He would have to be on less than he was on on before as maybe the ITK on wages can confirm what an independent web site stated that in the early days of Duchâtelet tenure Sarr only had the striker Igor on a bigger wage ?

• Sage said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Good as Tucker may be is a right sided centre back a priority, we already have Lavelle and some promising youngsters coming through in that position, would have thought we are more in need of a left sided centre back.
    Naby Sarr, a French left sided CB,  has been released by Huddersfield.

Good on the ball and dominant in the air he would be a great signing if he's willing to take a big pay cut.
    Great shout. Think he could do a job and might settle in at Charlton. 
    I think these posts have gone whooshing way over my head. Henry bigging up Naby? Sarcasm, or has he changed his mind? 
    But I thought you were a fan Sage?
    I’m lost here. [No sarky comments please 😬]
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Nabby isnt as unrealistic as some are suggesting.

He would have stayed, on less money, if it wasn't for the embargo.  He took a slight pay cut to join Huddersfield and was on a similar salary to what the likes of Watson, Gunter and probably Washington were on.

He will only be 28 when the seasons starts, stating the obvious he would only be 31 at the end of a 3 year contract, that's not old for a center half.  Especially when you consider he is probably a young 28 because he went 2 or 3 years, in his early 20s, without playing much at all, so doesn't have all that ware and tear.
    Wow, though at the time he was quite a big signing for us. We must have been paying some pretty generous salaries in the early Roland years.
  • CafcSteve said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ian Evatt 2/1 next Blackpool manager. Would be a big blow for Bolton if he left.
    Ex Blackpool player so passes the Blackpool Life sat nav test.

Really high potential rating in champman99/00 as well........
    Already appointed Simon Grayson … 
    Ronnie - Why the lies?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-sunderland-boss-new-role-24174898.amp
    Not a lie it was posted on Blackpool Instagram by fans .. he was linked and the fans done a mock up  
    I'm selling some magic beans.
    Message me if you're interested.
    Done ✅