Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    The club is badly run at present and you would need an exceptional manager to move us forward - JJ isn't but he's literally just starting out.

Hard to see much difference next season.
    I can see us improving, more a question of whether it’ll be enough. The budget won’t be the biggest but it’ll be bigger than the majority in this league. With that in place it shouldn’t be that difficult to build a squad capable of more than mid table. Might even be boosted if Gomez or Pope are sold.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I haven't read through all of this thread, so this may have been dealt with already ... but isn't Jackson on a rolling contract, the renewal of which is performance-related?

I found this:

"The 39-year-old has signed a contract which will automatically renew at the end of each of the next two seasons based on success on the pitch for the Addicks."

Now, Jackson took over after 13 games when we had 9 points.  I assume that the KPI (key performance indicator) at the end of the season would have been 60+ points. 

If so, the 50-something that we are likely to end up with may fall significantly short.  Or does the wording indicate that he has a free-hit this season?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The club is badly run at present and you would need an exceptional manager to move us forward - JJ isn't but he's literally just starting out.

I can see us improving, more a question of whether it’ll be enough. The budget won’t be the biggest but it’ll be bigger than the majority in this league. With that in place it shouldn’t be that difficult to build a squad capable of more than mid table. Might even be boosted if Gomez or Pope are sold.
    We are way off the top half of the table and miles off top six. It’s the poorest Charlton side I’ve ever seen and likely to be our worst post-war finish. Look at the teams around us in the bottom half and look at the gap between bottom half and top half.  Most at our end of the table will be looking to consolidate in league one and I think that’s all we can expect.  In the season ticket brochure Sandgaard talks about ‘increasing the probability’ of promotion.  Yes he’s managing expectations after his ludicrous blowing the league away comments, but it’s not much of an ambition.  There’s  loads wrong off the pitch, but I’m sure it’s not having as much impact as dogmatically sticking to a system that isn’t working. We’ve been found out in this league, everyone knows how to play us. They know that that if plan A isn’t working, we only have plan A as a back up. 

• Options
    The aim for next season is at least play-offs too. Hopefully automatic promotion. 

None of this 'well he's finished 9th and I suppose he's taking us in the right direction' next year please. 
  • Options
    i'm as frustrated as everybody else by what i see on the pitch and how this season has gone but jackson should be given this window to try and turn us into a promotion challenging side - i'm not convinced as to whether he can or cant do it atm but its clear he cares a hell of a lot and i'm 100% behind him until it becomes obvious it aint gonna happen 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The aim for next season is at least play-offs too. Hopefully automatic promotion. 

None of this 'well he's finished 9th and I suppose he's taking us in the right direction' next year please. 

The aim should be the top spot. Aim low and you only exceed your expectations of how low you can end up aiming for, like this season when avoiding relegation was the final aim.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

If you don't spend the budget wisely it doesn't matter how big it is.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I haven't read through all of this thread, so this may have been dealt with already ... but isn't Jackson on a rolling contract, the renewal of which is performance-related?

I found this:

"The 39-year-old has signed a contract which will automatically renew at the end of each of the next two seasons based on success on the pitch for the Addicks."

Now, Jackson took over after 13 games when we had 9 points.  I assume that the KPI (key performance indicator) at the end of the season would have been 60+ points. 

If so, the 50-something that we are likely to end up with may fall significantly short.  Or does the wording indicate that he has a free-hit this season?
    Why assume that though? I mean it could be that. But it could be on a win percentage, or a points per game basis instead. Even if we assume it IS based just on points, who knows what that target was.

I don't know anything but I suspect Jackson's job is fairly secure in terms of the actual contract and agreed targets, purely because if there was a genuine chance he had hit those marks there'd be something heard by now. 
  • Options
    If he stays, the summer recruitment will be all around getting players in to suit 3-5-2. A formation which time and time again this season has been shown to have fundamental flaws.

As a manager he appears to have no Plan B and isn't even reactive in a game. We turn up week after week and go through the same mundane nonsense. Run around for 15 mins and then gradually fall to pieces.

Some of the performances under Jackson have been up there as the worst I have seen in 40+ years of support.

We are a defensive mess, we are pedestrian across the park, we are utterly one dimensional in attack and more recently we have seen a total lack of discipline within the squad.

I look at those players and there is no unity or team spirit. Listening to Matthews interviewed before the game it was clear he will be looking elsewhere before considering any offer we make. Staying seemed to be an after thought. Not that I want to keep him.

Bradley Allen summed it up when he said we need a spine, leaders and to decide how we are going to play. At the moment we have none of these and the play is so disjointed that you can only assume the manager isn't getting his message across.

All of this adds up to one thing. Jackson's contract does not get renewed. We then sweep away the entire coaching staff and probably Gallen as well.

Ultimately I have no interest in watching that formation this or any season. I am bored watching the same mistakes and the same vulnerability being exploited by players and teams who on paper are far weaker than ours.

We are easy to play against, easy to score against and are powder puff up front. The buck stops with the manager and he has shown nothing to suggest he can change things round.
    The problem is, as Airman & others have pointed out would you trust our SMT to have any idea with who to bring in on the managerial/coaching side ? I certainly don't. Until sandgaard steps back from trying to run the club himself & brings in an Experienced (football wise) CEO we are doomed to the same old circle. Hire/fire/hire/fire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022

Anything less than top 6 is a complete and utter failure. Whether that will be his fault or shit recruitment, we'll have to wait and see 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Dave Rudd said:

I found this:

Why assume that though? I mean it could be that. But it could be on a win percentage, or a points per game basis instead. Even if we assume it IS based just on points, who knows what that target was.

I don't know anything but I suspect Jackson's job is fairly secure in terms of the actual contract and agreed targets, purely because if there was a genuine chance he had hit those marks there'd be something heard by now. 
    OK ... let's try this:

If there was a points target, I assume it's greater than the 50-something that we are likely to end up with.

The point is that we have hardly had the "success on the pitch" that the contract specifies.

OK with that?

I also don't understand your final point.  You think that we would have heard if Jackson had hit the agreed targets (and we haven't heard such things) therefore his job is secure?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I am definitely in the give JJ a chance camp but in terms of alternatives, the best available at the moment would probably be Darren Ferguson or Garry Monk. Wouldn’t be that keen on either but Ferguson did get promoted last season with Peterborough. 

If we were to make the change I would instead look at poaching a manager, maybe Michael Duff from Cheltenham. Highly rated young manager that has done well this season after winning League 2 last year. Other options could be Mark Bonner(Cambridge) or Matt Taylor (Exeter). 

The other big concern I’d have with changing managers is I have no faith in TS appointing the right person. I think he will stick with JJ which is probably the right call 
    Cambridge and Cheltenham are in strong positions to finish above us. Why would they leave to come here
    We’d pay them a lot more than they are currently earning. Much bigger budget to work with as well and more chance of promotion. We are shit but we can still steal players/managers from Cambridge and Cheltenham 
    On what basis do you say that  ?  Plus we ate being run to break even so the kitty at Charlton is known to be tight. That was the problem last season when Tommy discovered  the full cost of owning a football club in the EFL. 
    Are you thinking he may have forgotten. 
    We aren’t run to break even, will probably lose around 8m this season and that figure won’t improve much as long as we are in league 1. We have one of the larger budgets in the league, I think it’s pretty obvious we have more spending power than Cambridge and Cheltenham! 

Sandgaards funding isn’t the problem at all, the budget seems fine. Just the recruitment set up has clearly got some issues that need sorting 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

23 games (exactly half of a season)

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

Goals scored: 24 
    Goals conceded: 29
    I’m not sure what is the point being made here. 

We were well in the relegation positions when Jackson took over. We have avoided relegation with something to spare. If we had reproduced Jackson’s points per game for a whole season we would be comfortably in the top half of the table. I think it can be very reasonably said that he took charge of somebody else’s squad and improved them. 

Have you got anybody in mind who definitely do better and who would be very willing to come to Charlton.
    Your last paragraph isn't the issue. The point is 54 points in a season which is about what we will get more or less.
    You seem to have missed the point. He didn’t assemble this season’s team and he wasn’t in charge for the first dozen games. Jackson’s points per game since he took over would extrapolate out to somewhere in the upper 60’s over a whole season. That is with someone else’s failing team.

You are pushing for Jackson’s removal. Given that, it is surely reasonable to ask who you think would be prepared to come to Charlton and would do a better job.

Problem is that Jackson's points per game and win % is misleading. Because his first 10 games during the new manager bounce were great.

The fact that points and indeed performances have got worse, not better, is hugely concerning. It shows the coaching, tactics and man management are lacking. And the first 10 game purple patch was just from unsustainable effort.
  • Options
    I think it’s jackos reluctance to change from 352 to a different formation even when we’re losing that’s part of the problem to have any success you need to be adaptable when he first took over the players closed down a lot more but recently we’ve conceded goals by players running across our penalty area and getting in shots without a challenge from anyone to get anything from the game you need to put a lot of hard work in maybe the players just don’t care enough 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

We were well in the relegation positions when Jackson took over. We have avoided relegation with something to spare. If we had reproduced Jackson’s points per game for a whole season we would be comfortably in the top half of the table. I think it can be very reasonably said that he took charge of somebody else’s squad and improved them. 

Have you got anybody in mind who definitely do better and who would be very willing to come to Charlton.
    Your last paragraph isn't the issue. The point is 54 points in a season which is about what we will get more or less.
    You seem to have missed the point. He didn’t assemble this season’s team and he wasn’t in charge for the first dozen games. Jackson’s points per game since he took over would extrapolate out to somewhere in the upper 60’s over a whole season. That is with someone else’s failing team.

You are pushing for Jackson’s removal. Given that, it is surely reasonable to ask who you think would be prepared to come to Charlton and would do a better job.

Problem is that Jackson's points per game and win % is misleading. Because his first 10 games during the new manager bounce were great.

The fact that points and indeed performances have got worse, not better, is hugely concerning. It shows the coaching, tactics and man management are lacking. And the first 10 game purple patch was just from unsustainable effort.
    You can’t have it both ways, the first 10 games count as much as any, and is that doesn’t suit the argument then well tough, you’re either being at best disingenuous at worst dishonest 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    I am definitely in the give JJ a chance camp but in terms of alternatives, the best available at the moment would probably be Darren Ferguson or Garry Monk. Wouldn’t be that keen on either but Ferguson did get promoted last season with Peterborough. 

If we were to make the change I would instead look at poaching a manager, maybe Michael Duff from Cheltenham. Highly rated young manager that has done well this season after winning League 2 last year. Other options could be Mark Bonner(Cambridge) or Matt Taylor (Exeter). 

The other big concern I’d have with changing managers is I have no faith in TS appointing the right person. I think he will stick with JJ which is probably the right call 
    Cambridge and Cheltenham are in strong positions to finish above us. Why would they leave to come here
    We’d pay them a lot more than they are currently earning. Much bigger budget to work with as well and more chance of promotion. We are shit but we can still steal players/managers from Cambridge and Cheltenham 
    Yeah I agree Naby. Further, you only need to look at Friday's opponents as an example where a manager effectively dropped a division. Derek Adams left Morecambe at the end of last season days after their promotion to L1 to stay in L2 and join Bradford.  Dave Challinor - Hartlepool (L2) to Stockport(NL) is another one this season. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

You can’t have it both ways, the first 10 games count as much as any, and is that doesn’t suit the argument then well tough, you’re either being at best disingenuous at worst dishonest 
    In trying to predict future performance is it not worthwhile to view progression over time rather than a blanket PPG Stat?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

In trying to predict future performance is it not worthwhile to view progression over time rather than a blanket PPG Stat?
    No not really, as the team has probably under Jackson hit it’s average, which over a season would be about 10th. I thought the squad was better, it’s not, and needs some work over the summer, if Jackson can’t improve on that, then fine, he’s on the block, but I just can’t be doing with these toy throwing threads post home defeats
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

No not really, as the team has probably under Jackson hit it’s average, which over a season would be about 10th. I thought the squad was better, it’s not, and needs some work over the summer, if Jackson can’t improve on that, then fine, he’s on the block, but I just can’t be doing with these toy throwing threads post home defeats
    Well you can say it's probably hit its average, but if you looked at a PPG trend since he started, that average will have been decreasing fairly consistently over time. That's not opinion, that's fact. And it backs up what my eyes see too.

Nothing about toys from me, I've seen enough from about 15 games ago that we are going backwards as a team.
  • Options
    I have absolutely no doubt that the right manager could get this specific squad of players in, at the very least, the play off places next season. How I wish we had got an Alex Neil in... 

The players that get a lot of stick: Matthews, Purrington, Gunter, Pearce were all VERY motivated under Bowyer. I fully realise Gunter and Pearce don't have time on their side but they aren't THAT bad. 

I am surprised TS is sleeping his way into yet another failed season. We have been safe for a month. He could have got the new guy in for the last ten games to see what needs doing. As it is it will be a repeat performance of last year. 

I hear Thomas is just putting the finishing touches to the lead guitar part of his song for next season "Addicks are history". 

With the unforgettable chorus: 

"We will p*** this division next year Ra Ra ra". 

• Options
    In my opinion Jackson deserves next season, look at Powell and Bowyer, very similar situations. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    In my opinion Jackson deserves next season, look at Powell and Bowyer, very similar situations. 
    What about Powell and Bowyer?

Powell went on to struggle in club management and Bowyer ain't exactly ripping up trees at Brum, in fact he's looking at being sacked off any day now.

But I don't see any secific parallels between the 3 anyway. With JJ, I just think this group of players are too shit for any rookie manager to make work. I think what's needed is 4 or 5 existing players jogged on, 4 or 5 newbies come in and a new management team, headed by a manager who's happy to throw some tea cups about. That for me will see the quickest turn around, rather than waiting ANOTHER 10 to 15 games into 22 / 23 season....
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

On what basis do you say that  ?  Plus we ate being run to break even so the kitty at Charlton is known to be tight. That was the problem last season when Tommy discovered  the full cost of owning a football club in the EFL. 
    We aren’t run to break even, will probably lose around 8m this season and that figure won’t improve much as long as we are in league 1. We have one of the larger budgets in the league, I think it’s pretty obvious we have more spending power than Cambridge and Cheltenham! 

Sandgaards funding isn’t the problem at all, the budget seems fine. Just the recruitment set up has clearly got some issues that need sorting 
    Nabby…..where are you getting the £8,000,000 loss figure from?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

Can't see anyone throwing any toys tbh, just expressing opinions on a forum dedicated to doing just that. You don't have to agree, but if you can't be doing with it, maybe don't open a thread that could possibly effect your sensibilities 🤷‍♂️
    My sensibilities are absolutely fine, I still stick to the view it's an overreaction, but that saying that upsets some sensibilities more
  • Options
    Jackson must choose a team/squad for next season. He would be the first to agree to leave if it goes wrong by November. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Thomas said it somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: it's here https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-owner-thomas-sandgaard-expects-to-lose-8million-this-season/ 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Thomas said it somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: it's here https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-owner-thomas-sandgaard-expects-to-lose-8million-this-season/ 
    That may well be the operating loss. It doesn’t necessarily or probably mean there is a requirement to fund £8m, e.g. £2m has been received in fees this financial year (and a similar sum spent).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!