Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    Charlton in 2022: 

23 games (exactly half of a season)

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

Goals scored: 24 
    Goals conceded: 29
    I’m not sure what is the point being made here. 

We were well in the relegation positions when Jackson took over. We have avoided relegation with something to spare. If we had reproduced Jackson’s points per game for a whole season we would be comfortably in the top half of the table. I think it can be very reasonably said that he took charge of somebody else’s squad and improved them. 

Have you got anybody in mind who definitely do better and who would be very willing to come to Charlton.
  • Options
    Anyone think that Sandy has decided we are playing 352 so that’s what we’re doing?
    I think it's possible, as certain things don't make any sense, but who knows.
  • Options
    I think I can see where Jacko is going with 3-5-2 and he can bring in the payers to make it work. personally, I like 4-3-3, others may like 4-4-2, but nothing wrong in the circumstances Jacko making 3-5-2 work.
  • Options
    It's not just the defence which is the issue with rigidly sticking to 352

We had a period when we were missing a number of strikers, and having to play Burstow and Leko up front together just so that we could stick to his favoured system, rather than shifting to something to utilise what players we actually had available.
  • Options

We had a period when we were missing a number of strikers, and having to play Burstow and Leko up front together just so that we could stick to his favoured system, rather than shifting to something to utilise what players we actually had available.
    In that scenario there isn’t really a clear solution. Playing Leko, Burstow or Lee as a lone striker wouldn’t have worked either.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

This I have sympathy with. I think he should have changed formation due to the exceptional circumstances, namely having no decent strikers to pick,  and my fear is that he lacks flexibility. But he is new to the job and we have to give him a chance. Before he took over fans were saying we were likely to be relegated. Maybe avoiding that is good enough for this season, but he needs to get it right next season. Let's give him that chance.
  • Options
    I cant see us doing anything next season,  so is there any chance we can skip to the 23/24 season?
    Next season is going to be a big season for us and I've not got a good feeling about it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    I cant see us doing anything next season,  so is there any chance we can skip to the 23/24 season?
    Next season is going to be a big season for us and I've not got a good feeling about it.

That’s even more pessimistic than me but it’s quite possibly correct. We need a seismic shift in players and all who do come in have got to perform. I think that’s a very difficult trick. Yes Chris Powell did it but that was then and this is now. I’m guessing next season will hopefully be the first step in building a squad to challenge for promotion. I have a feeling it might take three or even four windows to do it and we’ll need luck.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's the players fault now. 

Next it'll be the recruitment team. 

Then it'll be Sandgaard. 

Then it'll be the coaches Jackson has to work with. 

Then it'll be the referees. 

Then it'll be the EFL for their squad cap rules. 

Some people will never admit that Jackson doesn't really look that good at this management stuff. 
    So you rate this as a top 6 squad? In that case let’s get them all signed up on new deals, change manager and enjoy promotion next season. 
    It's a team that should be beating the likes of Morecambe. And a team that could look like they actually do something on the training ground? 
  • Options
    The reasons why Jacko Must Go. Things I don't want to see next season:
    - a team that has no coherent pattern of play that looks uncoached and never learns
    - CBT restricted by playing a wing back role instead of a winger role
    - Clare in defence. He can pass and dribble but has no defensive instinct.
    - lack of discipline resulting in an almost unprecedented number of bookings
    - a lack of tactical flexibility or proactive adjustment of tactics when games aren't going our way, before the game is out of sight
    - illogical team selections

Most if not all will occur if Jacko is here next season. That's why we need to take a chance on someone else before we rebuild.
  • Options
    Our best player this season is CBT. 

According to Jackson's formation he has no role next season because we are stuck playing this formation. Is that getting the most out of your squad? 
  • Options
    Were he to be sacked now, wouldn’t we all be left wondering what might have happened if he had a much changed squad more to his liking?
    I certainly count myself in that bracket.

• Options
    edited April 2022

According to Jackson's formation he has no role next season because we are stuck playing this formation. Is that getting the most out of your squad? 
    Thats not true - Hasn't Jackson said recently that as part of this 3-5-2 formation, he ideally wants one flank to have a defensive wing-back, and on the other flank he wants a more attacking player.

Its why we've rarely (or potentially never) seen Jaiyesimi | Blackett-Taylor or Matthews | Purrington on the flanks at the same time.

Its always been one or the other.
  • Options

Thats not true - Hasn't Jackson said recently that as part of this 3-5-2 formation, he ideally wants one flank to have a defensive wing-back, and on the other flank he wants a more attacking player.

Its why we've rarely (or potentially never) seen Jaiyesimi | Blackett-Taylor or Matthews | Purrington on the flanks at the same time.

Its always been one or the other.
    Hence always leaving an invitation to the opposition of "why don't we focus our attacks in behind where the winger is supposed to be covering".
  • Options
    Although 1 thing I am appreciative of is that Jackson has learnt not to play Purrington at centre back behind him. I mean, it was bloody obvious and didn't need testing, but yes he has learnt that.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I'm not in the JJ must go camp or indeed he JJ must stay camp, I can see both sides of the argument for and against. However, and I have to fess up that I've not read every post on this thread, if he goes who do we bring in? Coupled with that how long do we give the new manager before we are calling for their head?
    I'd be getting concerned if we start swapping managers every 6 months or so....we need some managerial stability, so if JJ goes now we need to give the new person at least 18 months in my opinion, or if JJ stays he needs pre-season and at least 6 months of next.
    Managerial merry-go-rounds will not help us in my opinion. 

• Options
    I don't think we (by that I mean Tommy) can really afford to waste another season. This one was a bloody disaster. Jackson has pissed me off with his insistence on playing a formation that clearly hasn't worked. I don't know why he can't see it?! Teams sussed us out after that initial bounce and it's been terrible to watch tbh. I don't get the "give him 10 games next season" train of thought, as that's exactly what happened this year. A new man comes in and inherits a team he's had no input in and it's been a shambles. If Tommy decides Jacko stays then he has to back him in the summer and get him the players he wants/needs to fit into the way he wants us to play. Say what you want abt Slater and Jiminez, but they delivered a record breaking title winning squad for powell in a matter of weeks. I really hope Tommy is working his nuts off behind the scenes, cause this is a big summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Jacko has fans on his side ONLY because he is a club legend. If these performances were churned out by anyone non-Charlton the atmosphere would have been toxic for half a season. The boo's at half time yesterday were loud and sustained. That tells me that Jacko has a  very short leash going in to next season, with those still in the 'Jacko In' camp.

I so much wanted it to work for him, but a successful nobody, is my preference, to a losing fans favourite. Sorry Jacko it's a no from me. 
  • Options
    Got to give Jackson a chance to bring in his own players that he wants. The squad at the moment is a mid table league 1 one, what do people expect?
    No matter what team we have, I Expect this team to at least beat morecambe at home who haven’t won away from home since November 
  • Options
    Jacko has fans on his side ONLY because he is a club legend. If these performances were churned out by anyone non-Charlton the atmosphere would have been toxic for half a season. The boo's at half time yesterday were loud and sustained. That tells me that Jacko has a  very short leash going in to next season, with those still in the 'Jacko In' camp.

I so much wanted it to work for him, but a successful nobody, is my preference, to a losing fans favourite. Sorry Jacko it's a no from me. 
    True to an extent but not for me, I’d back any manager at this point doing as well as we are now. It’s become clear as the season has gone on that this squad isn’t good enough whoever the manager is and whatever the formation is. We’ll never improve if we keep blaming the manager and replacing him every 6 months.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's the players fault now. 

Next it'll be the recruitment team. 

Then it'll be Sandgaard. 

Then it'll be the coaches Jackson has to work with. 

Then it'll be the referees. 

Then it'll be the EFL for their squad cap rules. 

Some people will never admit that Jackson doesn't really look that good at this management stuff. 
    So you rate this as a top 6 squad? In that case let’s get them all signed up on new deals, change manager and enjoy promotion next season. 
    It's a team that should be beating the likes of Morecambe. And a team that could look like they actually do something on the training ground? 
    They should beat the likes of Morecambe but this is what inconsistent mid table sides do. One week they can beat a top 6 side and another lose to a small club in a relegation battle.

This team has too many weaknesses to be a top 6 side. A lack of goalscorers throughout the team and a lot of average players who don’t have the potential to play at a higher level.
  • Options
    He'll last 'til the end of the season and that'll leave Sandy plenty of time to (hopefully) make a considered appointment .. JJ was a terrific No 2 to Bowyer, he just lacks the indefinable qualities that make a good No 1 .. whatever, JJ is a nice guy and it's a shame that he hasn't made a success of his chance
  • Options
    Cambridge Utd, Accrington Stanley, Cheltenham Town, Oxford Utd, Wycombe Wanderers, Plymouth Argyle, Rotherham Utd and MK Dons are all above Charlton Athletic. That for me is enough to make me want to weep. Morcambe, yes that’s Morcambe beat us home and away. The club, manager and possibly a good few fans are next season at a crossroads. This season has been an absolute disaster. 
    We drew up at Morecambe. Though we did throw away a 2 goal lead..
  • Options
    Cambridge Utd, Accrington Stanley, Cheltenham Town, Oxford Utd, Wycombe Wanderers, Plymouth Argyle, Rotherham Utd and MK Dons are all above Charlton Athletic. That for me is enough to make me want to weep. Morcambe, yes that’s Morcambe beat us home and away. The club, manager and possibly a good few fans are next season at a crossroads. This season has been an absolute disaster. 
    We drew up at Morecambe. Though we did throw away a 2 goal lead..
    Correct. 🤦🏻‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!