Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    Squad is pony, give him a chance to bring in his own players ffs
    Do we all really believe that's gonna happen though?
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Squad is pony, give him a chance to bring in his own players ffs
    Do we all really believe that's gonna happen though?
    Not when he’s a Louis Walsh character instead of being like Simon Cowell
  • Options
    Found this interesting reading, comparing sentiments with that of Powell and our overall squad as we headed into the summer of 2011.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/41086/where-do-we-go-from-here/p1
    Did we keep a 'good core' that season? Just wondering. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Way way out of his depth. If he stays next season, he’ll be gone before Xmas
    Not before half of the home crowd………….
  • Options
    Imagine if we sacked curbishley without a full season in charge or not allowing him a full summer to bring in the players he wanted
  • Options
    Imagine if we sacked curbishley without a full season in charge or not allowing him a full summer to bring in the players he wanted
    No if him and Steve Gritt had around 3 weeks to bring in the likes of Nelson and Gatting plus Bumstead who was Lennie’s last signing before departing to Middlesbrough. 

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Found this interesting reading, comparing sentiments with that of Powell and our overall squad as we headed into the summer of 2011.

Players who survived the 2011 summer cull

Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Wright-Phillips
    Sullivan
    Solly
    Doherty

Elliot, Francis and Benson all started the season with us and made appearances early on but were allowed to leave later.

That’s nine. Or six depending on how you look at it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I win. See below conversation at end of transfer window.
    :D

• Options
    Appalling final game of the season. Still attempting to play this laughable 3-5-2 formation without the personnel to do so. What message does this send to the younger players (Kanu and Co) when Jackson sticks with his favourites who have no heart and no guts? Three donkeys in defence and Morgan and Gilbey by-passed in midfield. Created very little with no pace upfront. Embarrassed for those who travelled. We have to make a lot of changes to really improve next season and I can't see Sandgaard spending the money or Jackson the balls to do it.

If the nucleus of this side is still here in August, I won't be wasting more money on them.
    What formation would you play out of interest?
    4-4-2
    A flat 4-4-2?

one of my friends has been a youth coach for a few years now and this year has broken through into the mens game at non league level (higher but not highest levels). I was talking to him about 4-4-2 and he said it isn't mentioned anymore when doing coaching badges as the midfield gets overran. They still teach it at youth level though 
  • Options

Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Wright-Phillips
    Sullivan
    Solly
    Doherty

Elliot, Francis and Benson all started the season with us and made appearances early on but were allowed to leave later.

Jackson, Wagstaff, Wright-Phillips, Solly and Sullivan I suppose did play a part. Okay. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022

Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Wright-Phillips
    Sullivan
    Solly
    Doherty

And the summer of 2017 where we jumped from 13th to top six… this is a rough list just glancing at Wikipedia squad lists from both seasons…

Page
    Jackson
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Holmes
    Phillips
    Konsa
    Aribo
    KAG
    JFC
    Solly
    DaSilva

That’s a core of 14 that was kept and the team improved the following season with the signings of Clarke, Fosu, Reeves, Amos, Mavididi and Zyro.

We need a better summer than that of 2017 to be confident of going up. But equally I don’t believe we need the 15+ signings of 2011.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Just think comparing JJ to Curbs, CP and Bow is superfluous as they are / were completely different scenarios.

For me, it's not just performances and league position, I can't see any glimmer of anything from him or the management team (including SG), to warrant them being given a squeeze and another season. Honestly think the quickest way to affect change, is a completely different manager and the 4 / 5 player changes everyone keeps on about. For me, if it stays as it is, it's moving the problem on to f*** up another season 
    Sadly this.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Couldn’t find this thread last Saturday
    Pointless comment. Glaringly obvious that people aren't going to criticise after a win, it still doesn't mean the sentiment isn't there the whole time.

All he does is post really shit sarcasm anyway
    Just pointing out the bleeding obvious 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Gribbo said:
    Rothko said:
    Couldn’t find this thread last Saturday
    Pointless comment. Glaringly obvious that people aren't going to criticise after a win, it still doesn't mean the sentiment isn't there the whole time.

All he does is post really shit sarcasm anyway
    Just pointing out the bleeding obvious 
    We all live and learn then 
  • Options
    There are a lot of parallels with the 2011 Powell season. Except we now know that the recruitment planning and indeed action was well underway by the end of that season. In contrast Jacko’s recent comments suggest we are only just beginning - and we all know that he is not leading the recruitment policy but inputting to a committee.

I’m clinging to the “finish 13th and it gets better” omen. 
  • Options
    There are a lot of parallels with the 2011 Powell season. Except we now know that the recruitment planning and indeed action was well underway by the end of that season. In contrast Jacko’s recent comments suggest we are only just beginning - and we all know that he is not leading the recruitment policy but inputting to a committee.

I’m clinging to the “finish 13th and it gets better” omen. 
    2011/2012 was a one off. It will not happen again in my opinion just my looking at the personnel dealing with this now compared to back then 
  • Options
    2011/12 the club got everything right. Very little didn’t work out. Replicating that is I think almost impossible. As Steve Brown has suggested, Charlton are now a pool 2 club. We don’t have money or pull any more. More than some granted. It’s actually very difficult to see a way out of our predicament. 
    This is bang on the money, are we going to sign anyone like Wiggins, Kermorgant, Green again? Anyone that excelled in League One this season will not be coming to us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God I hope I’m wrong, but November when we are lower mid table he will go. Then who ever takes over gets the excuse “it’s not his squad” and we finish 14th….An repeat…. 
    That is the whole point though isnt it. A manager is suposed to manage the resources he has available. How anyone can say that they can see green shoots from anything on the pitch this season. All it has been is the same mistakes repeated again and again. League One is an expensive place to be running an apprenticeship scheme for new managers. How anyone can say they are watching a club that is being coached is beyond me, if they were there would be some kind of identity in the play. If we stick with 60% of this squad and the coaching team next season will be the same shite
  • Options

Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Wright-Phillips
    Sullivan
    Solly
    Doherty

Sullivan survived the cull by signing after it.  He was only on loan before it.  Including him as a core, you might as well include Harness. 

Did Doherty start a game?  Made a few 80th minute plus sub appearances then didn't he go out on loan?

Elliot played what 3 games or so?  And we allowed him to leave to go to Premier league Newcastle for a bucket load of cash.

That's 4 anyway you look at it.  1 was a kid in his break out season, one missed most of the previous season injured and one we signed the previous January.   Wagstaff was hardly a key player either.

Clutching at straws I am afraid. 
  • Options

Jackson
    Wagstaff
    Wright-Phillips
    Sullivan
    Solly
    Doherty

And the summer of 2017 where we jumped from 13th to top six… this is a rough list just glancing at Wikipedia squad lists from both seasons…

Page
    Jackson
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Holmes
    Phillips
    Konsa
    Aribo
    KAG
    JFC
    Solly
    DaSilva

That’s a core of 14 that was kept and the team improved the following season with the signings of Clarke, Fosu, Reeves, Amos, Mavididi and Zyro.

We need a better summer than that of 2017 to be confident of going up. But equally I don’t believe we need the 15+ signings of 2011.
    I don't mean this to sound as rude as it probably does but did you ever see the 16/17 and 17/18 teams or the 10/11 11/12 teams play or are you just taking the facts off Wikipedia?

You haven't taken into account which players did or didn't play the previous year or anything else. 
  • Options
    Agreed when JJ has our very best XI at his disposal he is often capable of getting a win. But the really good managers are those who maintain a certain level irrespective of what is thrown at them. Injuries, suspensions, players sold. JJ has shown he is utterly inept tactically when forced changes occur. He's a footballer masquerading as a manager. I reckon if our best XI were all fit they would get just the same points per game or better (if a cardboard JJ was in the dugout each week instead of Jackson) 

• Options
    It's a tricky one because personally i feel Jackson deserves the summer to bring in the players he wants. Yes people will point to the fact he had a January window, but not many clubs reshape a squad in January.

The flip side of that of course is that i'm not exactly confident that 2 months into next season we won't be regretting letting Jackson buy a bunch of players for a 352 formation, when Forest Green Rovers turn us over at the Valley and we're sat 15th.
  • Options
    18 pages in and still not a sensible suggestion for a new manager should jj go
  • Options
    I'm very much of the opinion that these players in this formation are why we failed.

Our players were neither suited to 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. 

I do think those can be successful, but we need the right players/formation combined.
  • Options
    To be honest I think he will go anyway.
  • Options
    Get a bit fed up when people say cut him some slack because of the injuries we had. Every club suffers injury crises but you just have to suck it up and get on with it. I hate it being used as an excuse.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm very much of the opinion that these players in this formation are why we failed.

Our players were neither suited to 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. 

I do think those can be successful, but we need the right players/formation combined.
    The formation isn't the problem.   What ever formation we play the weaknesses are still there.   If we had mainly used a flat back 4 this season we would have been even worse.  Who would it have been? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!