Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Options
    18 pages in and still not a sensible suggestion for a new manager should jj go
    What difference would that make?
    If I come up with a "sensible suggestion" will TS act upon it? It's his call.
    You could argue that it lends weight to somebody's opinion if they include a "solution" as well as a critique.
    At the end of the day we are a bunch of frustrated fans who don't want to let shit go unchallenged
  • Options
    People got short memories… I am not a Powell fan and he deserved the sack when he got it but … his first season mirrors Jackson fans calling for him to be sacked etc etc .. looked what happened the season after 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
     We have been out managed frequently this season by teams with lesser (theoretically) players.
    If Jackson thinks his problems will be over with even more random signings I think he is wrong.
    Jackson has to work harder and better himself, other managers can do it, can he?
    If the team for Ipswich was properly managed and prepared in the eyes of Jackson we are in trouble. We were essentially thrashed out of sight by a team that hardly had to raise sweat.
    For all the praise Jackson might heap on our fans, it is about time he won us points.
    I have very fragile faith in Jackson at the moment, I would like him to approach the future by never making any excuses, or laying any blame anywhere, he can get the praise for points won, but it is absolutely down to him if we lose points, not down to self pity about being in disgrace with fortune and mens eyes.
    I saw the interview with Neil Harris on Quest last night, and the blast of directness and honesty was impressive, Jackson could learn from that.
  • Options
    It shows Jackson can’t truly be judged on this season. This squad is nowhere near top 6 quality whoever the manager is.

I’d like to see what Jackson could do but part of me feels we might benefit more from a good coach who is more suited to working with what he’s given, someone like Michael Beale.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It shows Jackson can’t truly be judged on this season. This squad is nowhere near top 6 quality whoever the manager is.

I’d like to see what Jackson could do but part of me feels we might benefit more from a good coach who is more suited to working with what he’s given, someone like Michael Beale.
    It don't really think it says whether you can, or can't, judge Jackson on this season.

I don't think any manager Jackson or Adkins or Jackson from the start, a n other from the start or from when Adkins got sacked etc etc would have got this squad above Ipswich or below Morecambe.  That's a combination of things the manager has had little or no control over.

Saying that, is there a game since he was cartaker we have played really well?  I don't mean battling wins against the likes of Wimbledon and Cambridge.

It's the manner of the defeats that's the question mark, the number of unacceptable performances, for me.

There is absolutely no point what so ever in just sacking Jackson and plugging in someone else into his job.

It's as clear as day what needs to happen in the summer,  it was last summer as well.  From a higher starting point.  If that doesn't happen it doesn't matter who the manager is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    Just look at where forest were when Cooper took over, now they wasn't his players, or his formation but he adapted and look where they are now, just shows how low we have become and what some fans will accept, Jackson is no manager I'm sorry to say, his formation his tactics are all potless and this is not going to improve, and people thinking we're going to replicate the powell season, you need to get your head out of the sand that was a one off.
    Said this before but by that logic that suggests you feel this squad is good enough and is only missing the right manager, so why not keep them together and just replace Jackson? Gilbey and Morgan as regulars can take us up, right?
  • Options
    Scoham said: but then I would imagine the forest fans were saying the same about there players, players don't just become crap over night, it's how there managed, where there positioned, they way they train, and I'm sorry to say these players look like that haven't trained for a game for ages, they just look like aload of lost school boys not knowing what there doing, just remember Jackson was our defender coach and now we ship goals for fun 
    FAVADDICK said:
    Just look at where forest were when Cooper took over, now they wasn't his players, or his formation but he adapted and look where they are now, just shows how low we have become and what some fans will accept, Jackson is no manager I'm sorry to say, his formation his tactics are all potless and this is not going to improve, and people thinking we're going to replicate the powell season, you need to get your head out of the sand that was a one off.
    Said this before but by that logic that suggests you feel this squad is good enough and is only missing the right manager, so why not keep them together and just replace Jackson? Gilbey and Morgan as regulars can take us up, right?

• Options
    but then I would imagine the forest fans were saying the same about there players, players don't just become crap over night, it's how there managed, where there positioned, they way they train, and I'm sorry to say these players look like that haven't trained for a game for ages, they just look like aload of lost school boys not knowing what there doing, just remember Jackson was our defender coach and now we ship goals for fun
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    but then I would imagine the forest fans were saying the same about there players, players don't just become crap over night, it's how there managed, where there positioned, they way they train, and I'm sorry to say these players look like that haven't trained for a game for ages, they just look like aload of lost school boys not knowing what there doing, just remember Jackson was our defender coach and now we ship goals for fun
    In that example Forest fans were wrong. That doesn't mean our squad can be coached well to become a promotion quality squad. Would you prefer a significant squad rebuild in the summer with Jackson as manager or a new manager who's a great coach keeping this squad together with minimal signings?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    But why is Gilbey so bad? POTY in 2018/19 in a L2 promotion season and then again the following season in L1. That's exactly the kind of player we all say we should be looking for. Why does Famewo suddenly look like he's never seen a ball before? Why hasn't Fraser influenced a single match? Should we just stop getting players from MK Dons? Did Llera curse us? Why could Powell turn a player Sheff Weds fans laughed out of the building into a Championship colossus, and a keeper Reading didn't want into a borderline Premier League keeper? Isn't the truth of our season somewhere in the middle?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    In that example Forest fans were wrong. That doesn't mean our squad can be coached well to become a promotion quality squad. Would you prefer a significant squad rebuild in the summer with Jackson as manager or a new manager who's a great coach keeping this squad together with minimal signings?
    I would like a new man to take us forward, who's tactically aware off what he is doing, and when things are going wrong change them, I don't see that in Jackson, I've always been told learn from your mistakes and Jackson hasn't week in week out it's the same mistakes and it's not acceptable 
  • Options
    Cpntracts run until the end of June and players go on holiday.

Hard to see any signings happening before July.
  • Options
    I would essentially want the latter.
    Release what isn’t ours and make best use of what remains with one or two signings if they’re any good.
    You would really have to go some to prepare a team as badly as yesterday.
    Understandably Jackson might believe his work has been good enough and has no especial inclination to change.
    I think if so he is wrong..
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

When does the season start?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enough is enough for me. I can't see us getting promoted next season with Jackson in charge. He simply can't motivate his players and tactically he looks clueless. His obsession with 3-5-2 has cost us a shed load of points this season and there is no excuse for the 'bothered/can't be bothered' second-half of the season. We need the biggest clearout we can afford and I would put my money on someone else. It's too important a role to get wrong for yet another season.
    For what it's worth, my view is that Jackson went with 352 because it's the best formation for the players in his squad. Washington and Stockley have to play together, and the 433 didn't work at all for us, cost us our season. 

Yesterday only JFC turned up. It was a shameful end of season nothing on it performance, shameful because nearly 2000 fans travelled and we deserved at least some effort. 

We can't play with 2 centre halves because we have no pace at the back, and Clare's absence yesterday showed that up with endless balls between the centre halves and the wing backs.

If the formation is going to change and we're going to get the best out of our wingers - and DJ and CBT are very decent going forward - we need a proper midfield. JFC and Dobson might be it, but you can't afford Gilbey showing up for 10 minutes a game, or Morgan putting 2 decent balls in out of 10 a game.

I would stick with Jacko, but we need pace at the back, we need the best central midfielder in the division. 

Personally I'd aim for 442, perhaps a diamond, or 4312, but we'd need to bring in two quick full backs and a dominant reliable centre half with a bit of pace about him. We'd need a mobile and creative centre mid, perhaps one out and out winger or a decent number 10, and a quick striker who has goals about him. 

When I think back to the play off winning team, we had Bauer and Djiksteel offering pace at the back, and Purrington was mobile enough to get up and down the pitch too. We had a much stronger set of players in midfield. 

I'd ditch Gilbey and Morgan, I'd lose Innis and Pearce, probably Matthews as well. I'd not look to retain any of the loans.

But I do believe Jacko has enough to be successful if he's backed and not hamstrung by silly loans foistered upon him. Give him and Gallen their heads, get the squad he wants, and then judge him. This season's squad was far from good enough, notwithstanding that the injuries to our strikers mid-season put paid to any chance of finishing higher than we did. His points per game ratio would have us on 82 points - one place outside the play offs - and that's with an inadequate squad built by an experienced manager who could only get 6 points in 13 games from them. 
  • Options
    Powell’s was a miracle once in a lifetime season , we won’t get over 100 points next season 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Starts early because of the world cup in the winter.

First league game is 30 July. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Starts early because of the world cup in the winter.

First league game is 30 July. 
     We really haven’t got long to sort this mess out then?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Depends if there are any players who are decent enough that are going to be out of contract at other clubs. Some clubs actually make these signings in May or June but don't announce them straight away. If we get one or 2, and one of them is a coup, we need to announce it as a statement of intent. The big problem is actually getting them, and my worry is have we actually started diligence
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    But why is Gilbey so bad? POTY in 2018/19 in a L2 promotion season and then again the following season in L1. That's exactly the kind of player we all say we should be looking for. Why does Famewo suddenly look like he's never seen a ball before? Why hasn't Fraser influenced a single match? Should we just stop getting players from MK Dons? Did Llera curse us? Why could Powell turn a player Sheff Weds fans laughed out of the building into a Championship colossus, and a keeper Reading didn't want into a borderline Premier League keeper? Isn't the truth of our season somewhere in the middle?
    That's exactly my point. I'm saying this is a mid table squad who have finished roughly where you'd expect - whether that's 9th or 14th it makes no real difference, it's failure either way. Better coaching alone won't solve our problems, and simply signing better players won't be enough either.

We lost Aneke, Maatsen, JFC, Millar and Amos last summer and didn't properly replace them. There's no doubt we need better players, but there are some here who could be part of a promotion squad.

Powell signed Morrison and Hamer in his first summer window. Morrison had already had a year and a half of Championship football for Leicester, Powell knew he was capable and took advantage when his move to Sheff Wed didn't work out. Hamer was proven out on loan and was a player on the up.

You could spin it the other way with Powell - why couldn't he get more from Semedo and Llera who went on to be promoted with Sheff Wed? Could say that's a better comparison of where we are with players like Gilbey and Famewo.

Whatever happens we need a squad that looks very different next season. Get our recruitment right and players like Gilbey, Morgan etc may benefit too, whoever the manager is.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    It could reasonably be argued that Dobson was a laughing stock at Sunderland and under Jackson - not Adkins - he's been just brilliant. 

For me, you look at the squad we went up with last time - and they only reached the play offs - and we're well well short of that. That's what we should be aiming for in the window. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I just wish Jackson was as honest as Neil Harris 

https://twitter.com/PcPresenter/status/1520406591605989377/video/1

ps If someone could embed this, it might be helpful
  • Options
    Appalling final game of the season. Still attempting to play this laughable 3-5-2 formation without the personnel to do so. What message does this send to the younger players (Kanu and Co) when Jackson sticks with his favourites who have no heart and no guts? Three donkeys in defence and Morgan and Gilbey by-passed in midfield. Created very little with no pace upfront. Embarrassed for those who travelled. We have to make a lot of changes to really improve next season and I can't see Sandgaard spending the money or Jackson the balls to do it.

If the nucleus of this side is still here in August, I won't be wasting more money on them.
    What formation would you play out of interest?
    4-4-2
    A flat 4-4-2?

one of my friends has been a youth coach for a few years now and this year has broken through into the mens game at non league level (higher but not highest levels). I was talking to him about 4-4-2 and he said it isn't mentioned anymore when doing coaching badges as the midfield gets overran. They still teach it at youth level though 
    Any formation would be better than a 3-5-2 we simply can't play with this squad. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!