Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Most long balls in League One today:

1 Wimbledon 97 (at Fleetwood)
    2 Gillingham 92 (at Portsmouth)
    3 Fleetwood 91 (vs Wimbledon)
    4 Cambridge 83 (at Sunderland)
    4 Rotherham 83 (vs Oxford)
    6 Crewe 81 (vs Ipswich)
    7 Wycombe 76 (vs Sheff Wed)
    8 Sheff Wed 73 (at Wycombe)
    9 Oxford 71 (at Rotherham)
    9 Morecambe 71 (at MK Dons)
    9 Burton 71 (at Doncaster)
    9 Charlton 71 (vs Shrewsbury)
    13 Portsmouth 69 (vs Gillingham)
    14 Doncaster 67 (vs Burton)
    15 Accrington 64 (vs Lincoln)
    16 MK Dons 62 (vs Morecambe)
    16 Lincoln 62 (at Accrington)
    18 Ipswich 61 (at Crewe)
    18 Cheltenham 61 (vs Bolton)
    20 Bolton 60 (at Cambridge)
    20 Shrewsbury 60 (at Charlton)
    22 Sunderland 56 (vs Cambridge)
    23 Plymouth 53 (at Wigan)
    24 Wigan 50 (vs Plymouth)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Aneke is actually a better headerer (to use Bow's English) than Stockley for attempts at goal. 

Gilbey looks like he'll come good next season. If not, I'm sure the season after.
    That's not English, it's Canning.
  • Options
    Dull game, average performance but credit to Albie for 2 excellent deliveries for the goals, and 2 powerful headers.

Albie's corners are pretty decent actually, it's his free kicks which were poor other than one great one!
  • Options
    FFS Charlton, I just realised that I predicted a 2-1 win, you couldn't even let in a late consolation goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I don't think the strikers are the problem, it's the service. I wasn't there today but by all accounts 2 good deliveries by Morgan = 2 goals. Until we get midfielders who can put strikers through on goal or take a decent corner/ free kick we will struggle for the play offs. 

Stockley, Washington, Aneke plus back up should be enough to get top 6. It's the midfield that needs the overhaul. Not sure Morgan is the answer even if he did make the 2 goals today. 
    Spot on! I agree with you… Has the world gone mad?

Gilbey can’t pass or shoot. The one thing he does well is run around and get in the way, of both their players and ours.

Morgan can’t shoot. He can pass it alright sometimes but it’s about a 50/50 chance whether it’s going to end up where he meant it. Unfortunately the odd good pass isn’t nearly enough to make up for his lack of awareness.

• Options
    I don't think the strikers are the problem, it's the service. I wasn't there today but by all accounts 2 good deliveries by Morgan = 2 goals. Until we get midfielders who can put strikers through on goal or take a decent corner/ free kick we will struggle for the play offs. 

Stockley, Washington, Aneke plus back up should be enough to get top 6. It's the midfield that needs the overhaul. Not sure Morgan is the answer even if he did make the 2 goals today. 
    Washington put a 1on1 straight at the keeper. Again
  • Options
    Think Morgan's two pinpoint crosses today masked the fact that the rest of his game was poor. If we can have Chuks solely as an impact sub can we have Albie on in the hope that twice in a game he can put in a decent cross?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Thought we just about edged that (yay-Shrewsbury!!) but if they'd scored that one on one, they would have won. Complaints first. In a deaf rubber, we should have bought players on sooner. Thought Gilbey looked no worse than anyone else .....except three time he broke up ore attacks by playing the ball behind the guy running through, killing momentum. Our defence will never get promotion as it stands, it's always on the point of conceding. No idea what happened behind the goal, but if that was racist abuse, they should ban the culprit

Positives. Chucks looked good, good finish by Stockley, and we won because we kicked on second half.

I was furious about JFC moving on after a year being paid to recover, but simply, I don't believe it.
  • Options
    Thought we just about edged that (yay-Shrewsbury!!) but if they'd scored that one on one, they would have won. Complaints first. In a deaf rubber, we should have bought players on sooner. Thought Gilbey looked no worse than anyone else .....except three time he broke up ore attacks by playing the ball behind the guy running through, killing momentum. Our defence will never get promotion as it stands, it's always on the point of conceding. No idea what happened behind the goal, but if that was racist abuse, they should ban the culprit

Positives. Chucks looked good, good finish by Stockley, and we won because we kicked on second half.

I was furious about JFC moving on after a year being paid to recover, but simply, I don't believe it.
    Yeah let’s wait and see if it’s really the case first. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

He missed 2 1 on 1 chances. In first and second half. Without doubt someone of Taylor ability would have scored. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:

With better midfielders, we could be supplying him with more 1on1 situations to score from. A striker in the third tier isn’t going to put all of them away. BWP didn’t.
    Unfortunately because our Midfielders dont score enough, its simply putting more pressure on our Strikers to convert the chances they're getting - Even our defence havent helped out enough with goals this term.

Just plain wrong that apart from Aneke, our best scoring non-Striker has converted the same amount of goals as Mason Burstow!!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Where did this rumour come from  ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

With better midfielders, we could be supplying him with more 1on1 situations to score from. A striker in the third tier isn’t going to put all of them away. BWP didn’t.
    I don't think lack of chances has been Washington's issue this season. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Where did this rumour come from  ?
    Further up this thread I think.
  • Options
    I heard the JFC rumour from another lifer, there has also been no hint of a relapse so seems a possibility.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I heard the JFC rumour from another lifer, there has also been no hint of a relapse so seems a possibility.
    To me it seems a possibility because I fail to see why he hasn't been getting minutes on the pitch if not. If only someone would ask JJ in the aftermath presser.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

I don't think lack of chances has been Washington's issue this season. 
    He has missed 15 “big chances” this season according to the stats. He’s not in bad company either…

L1 leaders in missed big chances:

1 Ross Stewart (21)
    2 Matty Taylor (19)
    3 Macauley Bonne (17)
    4 Alfie May (16)
    5 Will Keane (16)
    6 Jayden Stockley (16)
    7 Conor Washington (15)
    8 Ryan Hardie (14)
    9 Freddie Ladapo (14)
    10 Michael Smith (13)
    11 Vadaine Oliver (13)
    12 Sam Vokes (12)
    13 Colby Bishop (12)
    14 Troy Parrott (12)
    15 Callum Lang (12)
    16 John Marquis (11)
    17 Mo Eisa (11)
    18 George Hirst (10)
    19 Joe Ironside (10)
    20 Brandon Hanlan (10)
  • Options
    Brought over from Match Thread with respect to the goalie stopping the game:

We have some imbelic embarrassing fans behind the goal. My brother said last week that the Morecambe keeper was getting constant unwarranted dogs abuse from the chavs all game. He said it was embarrassing and unrelated to the actual game.  So presume the same muppets today. Other fans should be less hasty to boo their keeper till we know what was said/thrown. 
    It’s been happening all season in that end but as there is no leadership off the pitch these incidents are not being dealt with and the pond life will carry on regardless 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    se9addick said:

I got crucified on here last summer for saying that, while he should’ve been invited to rehab with the club and use the facilities, we shouldn’t offer him a deal if he can’t play. 

If true (big if), I will feel somewhat vindicated in that assessment.
  • Options
    No we did the right thing in offering him a deal but maybe we should have had the option of a second year in our favour.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I got crucified on here last summer for saying that, while he should’ve been invited to rehab with the club and use the facilities, we shouldn’t offer him a deal if he can’t play. 

If true (big if), I will feel somewhat vindicated in that assessment.
    I think I agreed with you at the time! 

Either way, turning down a reasonable contract after we basically paid you a full wage for a year of rehab would be bad form. Once again, anyone expecting loyalty or decency in football are destined to be forever disappointed.