Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I presume Kanu appreciated the extra money he got for getting on the pitch, if nothing else
  • Options
    Our true level is showing by the number of points we've taken against the best teams in the division this season

Wigan - 0
    Rotherham - 4
    MKD - 0
    Sunderland - 4
    Plymouth - 3
    Wycombe - 0
    Wednesday - 1
    Oxford - 0

That's 12 out of 48
    What about when we were relegated from the Champ though? Our record against the top teams was good. Ultimately we’ve just been pretty poor regardless of opposition
    That was last season, with a different squad and manager, when we came 7th!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    As soon as we scored second goal Kanu should have been on, Jackson you are a fool.
    Certainly a fool is revealed, not sure if its Jackson though. 
    So you think giving a young promising lad 40 seconds is an act of management genius when the game was already long won, yep agree I know who the fool is.
    So we win the game 2-0 and we now say

' we may have won but look at what time on the clock he made his subs'
    I am sure tha Kanu appreciated  running on the pitch just in time to turn around and walk off 40 seconds later. If chosen for the Ipswich game he may actually get a whole minute. Why bother unless it was to run the clock down. Would certainly demotivate me.
    Yep how will he ever get over it?
    Young lad, proven goal scorer  gets 40 seconds  when we are 2 nil up. How would you  feel?

Probably your first 2 words is the answer to your  question.

If his ego is that bad that he has to play a certain amount of minutes or he will sulk then he isn't going to get far.

And when has he been a proven goal scorer in league one?
    So if he is a 'young lad' he should not be in the squad as he is not a proven goal scorer in League 1?.  He got a hat trick against Swansea under 23s on the 21st April.  Your comment about his ego is fatuous because how he feels was never mentioned. I said it would demotivaate me if i was brought on for only 40 seconds.
  • Options
    Our true level is showing by the number of points we've taken against the best teams in the division this season

Wigan - 0
    Rotherham - 4
    MKD - 0
    Sunderland - 4
    Plymouth - 3
    Wycombe - 0
    Wednesday - 1
    Oxford - 0

That's 12 out of 48
    What about when we were relegated from the Champ though? Our record against the top teams was good. Ultimately we’ve just been pretty poor regardless of opposition
    That was last season, with a different squad and manager, when we came 7th!
    No I mean the season we were relegated. We finished 22nd but our results against the top 6 were decent, we didn't lose against Fulham, we beat Leeds and Brentford etc. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    As soon as we scored second goal Kanu should have been on, Jackson you are a fool.
    So you think giving a young promising lad 40 seconds is an act of management genius when the game was already long won, yep agree I know who the fool is.

I am sure tha Kanu appreciated  running on the pitch just in time to turn around and walk off 40 seconds later. If chosen for the Ipswich game he may actually get a whole minute. Why bother unless it was to run the clock down. Would certainly demotivate me.
    Young lad, proven goal scorer  gets 40 seconds  when we are 2 nil up. How would you  feel?

Probably your first 2 words is the answer to your  question.

If his ego is that bad that he has to play a certain amount of minutes or he will sulk then he isn't going to get far.

And when has he been a proven goal scorer in league one?
    So if he is a 'young lad' he should not be in the squad as he is not a proven goal scorer in League 1?.  He got a hat trick against Swansea under 23s on the 21st April.  Your comment about his ego is fatuous because how he feels was never mentioned. I said it would demotivaate me if i was brought on for only 40 seconds.
    If that demotivates you then fair enough. I'm just glad you don't work with me and even more glad you don't play for Charlton!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We won 2-0, we have a bench, they come on or they don’t.  This discussion isn’t one, it’s just trying to find something to moan about.  I would give my front 2 teeth to be an under 23 player who made the bench and was picked to go on, for however long.  At that level in real life I.e. intern/trainee/L plate/ apprentice/junior I can actually see my route to the first team.  Why that would discourage me is beyond me.  He’s on the pitch playing pro football ffs
  • Options
    Most discussions on here are people having a moan about something!. Keeps us happy.   He was on the pitch for 40 seconds. Best not to wear him out. All that excitement  ffs.
  • Options
    An absolutely turgid first half in which we made our customary bright start for the first 15 minutes and then let the opposition assume control. Fortunately for us, Shrewsbury offered very little up top and stuck fairly rigidly to their defensive formation, rather than committing a few more men forward when they were in control.

MacGillivray saved our skin with an excellent double save at the start of the second half and, thereafter, we gradually improved as the half wore on, without looking too threatening. Stockley's fine header got our noses in front and, apart for MacGillivray's save from Udoh, who had run nearly the length of the pitch through several weak challenges, Shrewsbury never really looked like getting back on terms. Aneke's thumping header from another Morgan set play put the game to bed and at least ensured that we finished the season with more wins than defeats at the Valley. 

I thought we defended reasonably well, albeit against limited and unimaginative opponents. Pearce always enjoys a game against a physical opponent like Bowman, whilst Clare and Famewo were solid alongside him, whilst MacGillivray had a fine game in goal. DJ also did well both defensively and offensively, as a very late replacement for CBT.

Midfield remains a problem area and I was puzzled as to why JFC didn't get a run out in place of the hopelessly out of form Gilbey. I can only assume that Jacko and the medical team didn't want to risk him. As to Jake's future, I'm pretty sure I read that the club have an option for a  further year's extension and I doubt that the player would want to jump ship if we want to retain his services. His step-father, Nicky Forster, was very clear on Charlton TV a few weeks ago that Jake wanted to stay; nor do I see many attractive offers being made for his services, given his fitness record.

A fit JFC alongside Dobson could at least form the basis of a solid midfield, both in terms of protecting the defence and actually passing the ball to other Charlton players (something that's been in short supply this season). Fraser will hopefully step up and provide some invention and goals, although we certainly need reinforcements in this area, including a good ball carrier. 

Hopefully some of our good youngsters will come through and start to make their mark, although we all know that we need a really good summer of recruitment to be competitive in what will be another very tough division. 

I have reservations and concerns about Jacko's tactical inflexibity and the coaching of the first team squad but, when all's said and done, Jacko has moved us up 10 places in the table from 22nd to 12th and I think that most of us would have taken that after the dire defeat at home to Accrington in Adkin's last game. Moving us up another 10 places - or even 6 - will be tough but hope springs eternal.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Sell the kid ! He never scored when he came on so get rid 🤭
  • Options
    Surely Kanu was given a taste which is absolutely fine with a young player. I don't see a problem with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:

Sell the kid ! He never scored when he came on so get rid 🤭
    Many a true word...
    Give it a couple of weeks, probably already been recommended by Burstow to his new employers... B)
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    An absolutely turgid first half in which we made our customary bright start for the first 15 minutes and then let the opposition assume control. Fortunately for us, Shrewsbury offered very little up top and stuck fairly rigidly to their defensive formation, rather than committing a few more men forward when they were in control.

MacGillivray saved our skin with an excellent double save at the start of the second half and, thereafter, we gradually improved as the half wore on, without looking too threatening. Stockley's fine header got our noses in front and, apart for MacGillivray's save from Udoh, who had run nearly the length of the pitch through several weak challenges, Shrewsbury never really looked like getting back on terms. Aneke's thumping header from another Morgan set play put the game to bed and at least ensured that we finished the season with more wins than defeats at the Valley. 

I thought we defended reasonably well, albeit against limited and unimaginative opponents. Pearce always enjoys a game against a physical opponent like Bowman, whilst Clare and Famewo were solid alongside him, whilst MacGillivray had a fine game in goal. DJ also did well both defensively and offensively, as a very late replacement for CBT.

Midfield remains a problem area and I was puzzled as to why JFC didn't get a run out in place of the hopelessly out of form Gilbey. I can only assume that Jacko and the medical team didn't want to risk him. As to Jake's future, I'm pretty sure I read that the club have an option for a  further year's extension and I doubt that the player would want to jump ship if we want to retain his services. His step-father, Nicky Forster, was very clear on Charlton TV a few weeks ago that Jake wanted to stay; nor do I see many attractive offers being made for his services, given his fitness record.

A fit JFC alongside Dobson could at least form the basis of a solid midfield, both in terms of protecting the defence and actually passing the ball to other Charlton players (something that's been in short supply this season). Fraser will hopefully step up and provide some invention and goals, although we certainly need reinforcements in this area, including a good ball carrier. 

Hopefully some of our good youngsters will come through and start to make their mark, although we all know that we need a really good summer of recruitment to be competitive in what will be another very tough division. 

I have reservations and concerns about Jacko's tactical inflexibity and the coaching of the first team squad but, when all's said and done, Jacko has moved us up 10 places in the table from 22nd to 12th and I think that most of us would have taken that after the dire defeat at home to Accrington in Adkin's last game. Moving us up another 10 places - or even 6 - will be tough but hope springs eternal.
    JFC and Dobson are too similar. They both want to sit. Unless JFC is prepared to play wingback, which he did well in the Championship I don't see where he fits, except as backup.
  • Options
    It was piss poor to chuck him on for 30 seconds when he was likely to not even touch the ball. We were 2 nil up, in a meaningless game, should have given him at least 10 minutes
  • Options
    A taste is more than just coming on the pitch. It is being part of the matchday squad so that it feels more comfotable down the line.
    I think you are right, Muttley, but I still think they could/should have given him a bit longer given that we were 2-0 up.