Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Sad... How can we ever remove racism from the world if this is the attitude that those who receive it have to take!!

Be interesting to know what was said if they got the nationality wrong? Marosi is Slovakian
    Guessing a 'Russian ××××'
  • Options
    cazo said:
    What happened to cause the delay?
    Goalkeeper being a big kid needs to get real and grow up for fuck sake 🍺
    He had at least one object thrown at him. No defending that.
    Awful actions against the Shrewsbury GK, and what's most shameful is that many (most?) fans at the CE were defending whichever hooligan was hurling abuse/objects at the player. From the family stand I could see a fan walking out clapping his hands above his head as if proud of soiling the reputation of the club. Credit to Clare for appealing to the fans to calm down.
    Looked as though even he was being shouted down by our fans - Couldnt be sure though.
  • Options
    There was also a teenager pissed up and passed out carried out by stewards from the north upper at half time, was the only real highlight of the first 45 minutes!! 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Awful actions against the Shrewsbury GK, and what's most shameful is that many (most?) fans at the CE were defending whichever hooligan was hurling abuse/objects at the player. From the family stand I could see a fan walking out clapping his hands above his head as if proud of soiling the reputation of the club. Credit to Clare for appealing to the fans to calm down.
    Looked as though even he was being shouted down by our fans - Couldnt be sure though.
    Was you behind the goal? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    cazo said:
    Was you behind the goal? 
    No I'm in the East Stand - Hence why I couldnt be sure, as I clearly stated...
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't think the strikers are the problem, it's the service. I wasn't there today but by all accounts 2 good deliveries by Morgan = 2 goals. Until we get midfielders who can put strikers through on goal or take a decent corner/ free kick we will struggle for the play offs. 

Stockley, Washington, Aneke plus back up should be enough to get top 6. It's the midfield that needs the overhaul. Not sure Morgan is the answer even if he did make the 2 goals today. 
    Washington put a 1on1 straight at the keeper. Again
    With better midfielders, we could be supplying him with more 1on1 situations to score from. A striker in the third tier isn’t going to put all of them away. BWP didn’t.
    I don't think lack of chances has been Washington's issue this season. 
    He has missed 15 “big chances” this season according to the stats. He’s not in bad company either…

L1 leaders in missed big chances:

1 Ross Stewart (21)
    2 Matty Taylor (19)
    3 Macauley Bonne (17)
    4 Alfie May (16)
    5 Will Keane (16)
    6 Jayden Stockley (16)
    7 Conor Washington (15)
    8 Ryan Hardie (14)
    9 Freddie Ladapo (14)
    10 Michael Smith (13)
    11 Vadaine Oliver (13)
    12 Sam Vokes (12)
    13 Colby Bishop (12)
    14 Troy Parrott (12)
    15 Callum Lang (12)
    16 John Marquis (11)
    17 Mo Eisa (11)
    18 George Hirst (10)
    19 Joe Ironside (10)
    20 Brandon Hanlan (10)
    Didnt you start the 'Stockley and Washington underrated' thread based off stats, only to then call Stockley a donkey a week later because you watched your first live match of the season?

I don't know what that stat site counts as a 'big chance' but I do know what i see Washington miss week in week out. 

Edit: this isn't meant to sound arsey, just saying that stats don't give the whole picture
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't think the strikers are the problem, it's the service. I wasn't there today but by all accounts 2 good deliveries by Morgan = 2 goals. Until we get midfielders who can put strikers through on goal or take a decent corner/ free kick we will struggle for the play offs. 

Stockley, Washington, Aneke plus back up should be enough to get top 6. It's the midfield that needs the overhaul. Not sure Morgan is the answer even if he did make the 2 goals today. 
    With better midfielders, we could be supplying him with more 1on1 situations to score from. A striker in the third tier isn’t going to put all of them away. BWP didn’t.
    He has missed 15 “big chances” this season according to the stats. He’s not in bad company either…

1 Ross Stewart (21)
    2 Matty Taylor (19)
    3 Macauley Bonne (17)
    4 Alfie May (16)
    5 Will Keane (16)
    6 Jayden Stockley (16)
    7 Conor Washington (15)
    8 Ryan Hardie (14)
    9 Freddie Ladapo (14)
    10 Michael Smith (13)
    11 Vadaine Oliver (13)
    12 Sam Vokes (12)
    13 Colby Bishop (12)
    14 Troy Parrott (12)
    15 Callum Lang (12)
    16 John Marquis (11)
    17 Mo Eisa (11)
    18 George Hirst (10)
    19 Joe Ironside (10)
    20 Brandon Hanlan (10)
    Didnt you start the 'Stockley and Washington underrated' thread based off stats, only to then call Stockley a donkey a week later because you watched your first live match of the season?

I don't know what that stat site counts as a 'big chance' but I do know what i see Washington miss week in week out. 
    Washington really tries but is truly awful when one on one. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well if you didn't see the game don't be fooled by the 2-0 scoreline. Against a very limited Shrewsbury team, we were outplayed for much of the first half and MacGillivray was my man of the match with an outstanding double save and a few other top draw saves.

The defence was once again wide open on occasions and the midfield really struggled to gain any control. All personified by Morgan's complete Jekyll and Hyde performance - some awful dead ball kicks before hitting an absolute pearler of a free kick and corner for our 2 goals.

And one final moan. Why on earth bring young Kanu on with literally about 30 seconds to go. He could have had a run out for at least 5 minutes at the end as we were coasting by that time.

Over to you Thomas. You must have seen today that this team is no-where near good enough to put in a challenge for promotion next year. I can only hope you decide to do something about it.

Got to agree. This average Shrewsbury team had forwards who had a much better idea how play in open play. Yeah we scored two set plays. Morecombe also showed us up with their forwards play and they are close to a relegation battle.
    We have gone most of a season playing with 2 lone strikers, a novel system. After 46 games you can count the number of assists they gave each other on 2 hands (er.... I think)
    The current squad will do as back-ups, but we need to recruit 7-8 1st team players  ( if wishes were money   etc)
    Keep Dobson,Clare,CBT
    Possibly Mc Goalkeeper/ DJ and JFC
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

1 Ross Stewart (21)
    2 Matty Taylor (19)
    3 Macauley Bonne (17)
    4 Alfie May (16)
    5 Will Keane (16)
    6 Jayden Stockley (16)
    7 Conor Washington (15)
    8 Ryan Hardie (14)
    9 Freddie Ladapo (14)
    10 Michael Smith (13)
    11 Vadaine Oliver (13)
    12 Sam Vokes (12)
    13 Colby Bishop (12)
    14 Troy Parrott (12)
    15 Callum Lang (12)
    16 John Marquis (11)
    17 Mo Eisa (11)
    18 George Hirst (10)
    19 Joe Ironside (10)
    20 Brandon Hanlan (10)

They can be both underrated and not fantastic players. Both can be true.

I got sick to the back teeth of people saying it was the strikers missing chances that are the issue when we clearly pick up more points with them in the side than we do without them. That was the whole point of starting that thread.

I was upset with Stockley’s performance against Morecambe and don’t believe he should be the main man to get promoted but he is worth a spot in a squad that has competition for places.

If we can get better in the summer, bring them in. But it’s not going to be easy to pluck replacements out of the air.

I was shocked to see Alfie May as high up that list as he was! I suppose it’s easy to look at what he’s scored and call to sign him when we don’t watch him play week in week out.
  • Options
    Most long balls in League One today:

1 Wimbledon 97 (at Fleetwood)
    2 Gillingham 92 (at Portsmouth)
    3 Fleetwood 91 (vs Wimbledon)
    4 Cambridge 83 (at Sunderland)
    4 Rotherham 83 (vs Oxford)
    6 Crewe 81 (vs Ipswich)
    7 Wycombe 76 (vs Sheff Wed)
    8 Sheff Wed 73 (at Wycombe)
    9 Oxford 71 (at Rotherham)
    9 Morecambe 71 (at MK Dons)
    9 Burton 71 (at Doncaster)
    9 Charlton 71 (vs Shrewsbury)
    13 Portsmouth 69 (vs Gillingham)
    14 Doncaster 67 (vs Burton)
    15 Accrington 64 (vs Lincoln)
    16 MK Dons 62 (vs Morecambe)
    16 Lincoln 62 (at Accrington)
    18 Ipswich 61 (at Crewe)
    18 Cheltenham 61 (vs Bolton)
    20 Bolton 60 (at Cambridge)
    20 Shrewsbury 60 (at Charlton)
    22 Sunderland 56 (vs Cambridge)
    23 Plymouth 53 (at Wigan)
    24 Wigan 50 (vs Plymouth)
    Is this interesting? 
  • Options
    Didn't a story come out that no contract offers have been made yet to any of the out of contract players?
  • Options
    Nice to finish our home games with a win but it really was dire to watch. Also on reflection, now we know why the game was stopped, i’m glad to see the back of this very disappointing season. 
    I saw on Twitter a person is in custody.
  • Options
    Think today proved again that we need to think about a diff system at home then away .. the system is good away but at home again today Shrewsbury crowded the mid and that really stopped us creating .. was not until Aneke came on in the number 10 role then we started to open them up and create chances ..in the end deserved 3 points but special mention for Macca who made superb double save with the score at 1-0 …. 

• Options
    Nice to finish our home games with a win but it really was dire to watch. Also on reflection, now we know why the game was stopped, i’m glad to see the back of this very disappointing season. 
    I saw on Twitter a person is in custody.
    Yeah the club have confirmed, really hope it doesn’t turn out to be racism. No exuding that scumbag behaviour if so. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Brought over from Match Thread with respect to the goalie stopping the game:

We have some imbelic embarrassing fans behind the goal. My brother said last week that the Morecambe keeper was getting constant unwarranted dogs abuse from the chavs all game. He said it was embarrassing and unrelated to the actual game.  So presume the same muppets today. Other fans should be less hasty to boo their keeper till we know what was said/thrown. 
    Abusing someone for being Russian when they are not. Even thicker, imbelic, chavvier than I thought. Why they are supporting us when Milnil are up the road?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

6 Crewe 81 (vs Ipswich)
    18 Ipswich 61 (at Crewe)
    Is this interesting? 
    Can there really have been 188 long balls played in one match? (Wimbledon v Fleetwood). That's over two a minute - one every thirty seconds.
    Normally a long ball will be either headed back out, go off for a goal kick or be flicked on towards goal. Can that happen over twice a minute consistently over 90 minutes. I don't think so. I can't imagine even the 1986 Wimbledon v 1992 Cambridge managing that. Then to suggest such high numbers over the whole league........

Looks like bullshit to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

6 Crewe 81 (vs Ipswich)
    18 Ipswich 61 (at Crewe)
    Is this interesting? 
    Can there really have been 188 long balls played in one match? (Wimbledon v Fleetwood). That's over two a minute - one every thirty seconds.
    Normally a long ball will be either headed back out, go off for a goal kick or be flicked on towards goal. Can that happen over twice a minute consistently over 90 minutes. I don't think so. I can't imagine even the 1986 Wimbledon v 1992 Cambridge managing that. Then to suggest such high numbers over the whole league........

Looks like bullshit to me.
    If you think that, you’re welcome to take it up with Opta which is where those numbers were indirectly sourced from.

(Also where I got the big chances missed stats from incidentally.)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Thought we just about edged that (yay-Shrewsbury!!) but if they'd scored that one on one, they would have won. Complaints first. In a deaf rubber, we should have bought players on sooner. Thought Gilbey looked no worse than anyone else .....except three time he broke up ore attacks by playing the ball behind the guy running through, killing momentum. Our defence will never get promotion as it stands, it's always on the point of conceding. No idea what happened behind the goal, but if that was racist abuse, they should ban the culprit

Positives. Chucks looked good, good finish by Stockley, and we won because we kicked on second half.

I was furious about JFC moving on after a year being paid to recover, but simply, I don't believe it.
    Yeah let’s wait and see if it’s really the case first. 
    That's why I said I don't believe it..
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    Abusing anyone on the grounds of their race or nationality is disgraceful regardless, but isn't that the keeper who gifted us the equaliser in extra time against Doncaster? Why are you picking on him?? He's a Charlton legend!
  • Options
    Finally made it home.  Glad we won.  That was hard to watch.  I suppose if Conor took every 1-on-1 he’d be playing at a higher level…. Definitely need an overhaul of midfield.  Despite the two assists Albie really has a limited footballing brain; needs to shoot a bit more - bit in the end he’s not quite L1 quality.  And as for Gilbey, when he does nothing he is really good at it, but when he tries to do something he’s actually a bit shit
  • Options
    Didn't a story come out that no contract offers have been made yet to any of the out of contract players?
    An actual offer is different to having discussions though. 
  • Options
    PS Washington’s running won the free kick that resulted in the corner which led to the opening goal. Something we sorely miss when he’s out of the side.
    Agreed. And his value is multiplied when you consider that both Stockley and Aneke are big, slow, lumbering players with limited mobility. We certainly need another striker with pace to come in and offer an alternative. Don't know if young Kanu will be ready for a first team place next season but that would be ideal.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Finally made it home.  Glad we won.  That was hard to watch.  I suppose if Conor took every 1-on-1 he’d be playing at a higher level…. Definitely need an overhaul of midfield.  Despite the two assists Albie really has a limited footballing brain; needs to shoot a bit more - bit in the end he’s not quite L1 quality.  And as for Gilbey, when he does nothing he is really good at it, but when he tries to do something he’s actually a bit shit
    I didn't see any situations where Albie should definitely have shot, as when the ball came to him there were usually several players between him and the goal

Indeed didn't Bowyer tell his players NOT to shoot from the edge of the box, as it rarely works, maybe Jacko is the same?
  • Options
    Nice run of form over last 9 games and keeping an unchanged side seems to have helped. Good headers and some great saves from Craig. Deserved MoM. One game to go, but now more interested in contract renewals and new signings tbh.