Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Abusing anyone on the grounds of their race or nationality is disgraceful regardless, but isn't that the keeper who gifted us the equaliser in extra time against Doncaster? Why are you picking on him?? He's a Charlton legend!
    Yes he is the same one who palmed the cross to Pratley 
  • Options
    2 assists for Morgan makes 7 for the season, the most out of any Charlton player this season incidentally

I'd be interested in the stats for the type of goal we score, as I suspect the percentage of goals we score from set pieces or headers is quite high, especially with Stockley and Chuks in the air.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    What happened to cause the delay?
    Goalkeeper being a big kid needs to get real and grow up for fuck sake 🍺
    This aged well.
  • Options
    FFS Charlton, I just realised that I predicted a 2-1 win, you couldn't even let in a late consolation goal.
    Me too. Also had Stockley to score two, and CBT to score any time. 
    Also cashed out my top half bet last week. 
    If you see me near a bookies, shoot me. 
  • Options
    Second half much improved from the second, actually thought DJ had a really good game, not as good as CBT but filled his shoes well enough. I’d be curious to see them both on the pitch at the same time on opposite wings. Macca had a tidy game, credit where credit is due if we are gonna shred him. 

Side note is it me or has Akin slimmed down a bit? He looked a lot more agile and less wide to me. Could improve him. Be a shame we won’t see him again at the valley cause I am adamant he is our best centre back and has a high ceiling 
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Finally made it home.  Glad we won.  That was hard to watch.  I suppose if Conor took every 1-on-1 he’d be playing at a higher level…. Definitely need an overhaul of midfield.  Despite the two assists Albie really has a limited footballing brain; needs to shoot a bit more - bit in the end he’s not quite L1 quality.  And as for Gilbey, when he does nothing he is really good at it, but when he tries to do something he’s actually a bit shit
    I didn't see any situations where Albie should definitely have shot, as when the ball came to him there were usually several players between him and the goal

Indeed didn't Bowyer tell his players NOT to shoot from the edge of the box, as it rarely works, maybe Jacko is the same?
    First half, ball from Matthews I think, when he should have hit it first time but took 2 touches and got closed down.  Don’t get me wrong.  I like him. I think he’s a decent player.  If he was L2 I think he would definitely win trophies but I don’t think he’s a top L1/champ quality player 
  • Options
    Zzzzzz first half but more entertaining second.  Great to see Chuks score and thunderous header from Stockley.

Must keep Washington.  Spend all summer practicing one on ones and finishing and he'll bag loads.

Good to end the (home) season on a positive note but a lot of work to do between now and 30 July (and quickly) if we want a more fruitful season next term.

• Options
    Could it also be the case that it’s pretty pointless risking JFC in these last few games which are meaningless. It was a bad injury and we aren’t short of options in his position, even if not of the highest quality.

Maybe the thought is that he will get a good pre season and be in a stronger position come August.
    Exactly, sjh ! 

Got it in one.
  • Options
    We won. 

In Wales people are often nicknamed after their profession ie Jones the post or Ivor the Engine.

Now we have Morgan the Assist.

12th place and top half. Pass the smelling salts.
    You’re not going to keep this up next season?! Please noooooo. 
    :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I don't think the strikers are the problem, it's the service. I wasn't there today but by all accounts 2 good deliveries by Morgan = 2 goals. Until we get midfielders who can put strikers through on goal or take a decent corner/ free kick we will struggle for the play offs. 

Stockley, Washington, Aneke plus back up should be enough to get top 6. It's the midfield that needs the overhaul. Not sure Morgan is the answer even if he did make the 2 goals today. 
    Washington put a 1on1 straight at the keeper. Again
    With better midfielders, we could be supplying him with more 1on1 situations to score from. A striker in the third tier isn’t going to put all of them away. BWP didn’t.
    I don't think lack of chances has been Washington's issue this season. 
    He has missed 15 “big chances” this season according to the stats. He’s not in bad company either…

L1 leaders in missed big chances:

1 Ross Stewart (21)
    2 Matty Taylor (19)
    3 Macauley Bonne (17)
    4 Alfie May (16)
    5 Will Keane (16)
    6 Jayden Stockley (16)
    7 Conor Washington (15)
    8 Ryan Hardie (14)
    9 Freddie Ladapo (14)
    10 Michael Smith (13)
    11 Vadaine Oliver (13)
    12 Sam Vokes (12)
    13 Colby Bishop (12)
    14 Troy Parrott (12)
    15 Callum Lang (12)
    16 John Marquis (11)
    17 Mo Eisa (11)
    18 George Hirst (10)
    19 Joe Ironside (10)
    20 Brandon Hanlan (10)
    Didnt you start the 'Stockley and Washington underrated' thread based off stats, only to then call Stockley a donkey a week later because you watched your first live match of the season?

I don't know what that stat site counts as a 'big chance' but I do know what i see Washington miss week in week out. 
    Washington really tries but is truly awful when one on one. 
    No need to worry now though because we have just signed a player improvement coach who will have Washington banging then in left, right & centre next season 😄
  • Options
    Could it also be the case that it’s pretty pointless risking JFC in these last few games which are meaningless. It was a bad injury and we aren’t short of options in his position, even if not of the highest quality.

Maybe the thought is that he will get a good pre season and be in a stronger position come August.
    Exactly, sjh ! 

Got it in one.
    Aneke has come on in midfield for 2 or the 3 matches which probably has stopped him coming of the bench.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    Looking at Jackson's record over the season, if he was in charge from the start of the season and the points were averaged out from that point, we would have 74 points. This is still way short. but the playoff target this season is very high and the points average doesn't take into account the injuries for almost two months to three first choice forwards. This team has the basis and with additions plus a pre season for Frazer and Gilbey, who both had bouts of Co vid, the team, with some excellent youngsters knocking on the door, could do something next season. 
  • Options
    Turgid game of football. Thankfully my last late nigh/ early morning until August. 

Cannot believe we have so many professional players that can't do the simple things such as passing. 

Gilbey must have some dirt on Jacko, stealing a living since the home game against Ipswich. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Looking at Jackson's record over the season, if he was in charge from the start of the season and the points were averaged out from that point, we would have 74 points. This is still way short. but the playoff target this season is very high and the points average doesn't take into account the injuries for almost two months to three first choice forwards. This team has the basis and with additions plus a pre season for Frazer and Gilbey, who both had bouts of Co vid, the team, with some excellent youngsters knocking on the door, could do something next season. 
    Stolen from an Ipswich link, but have started the table from the day before the Sunderland away game. We’d be four points from the playoffs under Jacko.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Stolen from an Ipswich link, but have started the table from the day before the Sunderland away game. We’d be four points from the playoffs under Jacko.
    So... still 12th then...? Great stat ! 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Zzzzzz first half but more entertaining second.  Great to see Chuks score and thunderous header from Stockley.

Must keep Washington.  Spend all summer practicing one on ones and finishing and he'll bag loads.

Good to end the (home) season on a positive note but a lot of work to do between now and 30 July (and quickly) if we want a more fruitful season next term.

When we have players that actually pass forward like we did in the second half instead of sideways or back then Washington changes the dynamics of the game completely. His strength is in somebody playing the ball away from/over a defender and into space for Washington to chase, and he has a knack of getting to those balls first, often when I think he has no chance of doing so. He’s not going to score from every one of those chances but what he does do is unsettle any plan or formation the defence has and holds them back. That in turn means their midfield and attack can’t press us with impunity. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Am I missing something here? How does Claire have an XG of 0.5 when all I can remember is him having a shot for 35 yards, and Washington misses two 1 on 1's but has 0.3?
  • Options
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Not sure why the piss taking, just thought it was an interesting one to note
  • Options
    matt88 said:
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Sorry, but saying we would have been 12th when that's exactly where we are now isn't that interesting to me. The team isn't good enough and trying to make out like we would could have been higher in the table had JJ been in charge from the start is factually incorrect, as is shown by your table. We are the quintessential mid-table team this season, in form and ability, and no re-imagining of history or what ifs are going to change that. 
  • Options
    matt88 said:
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Sorry, but saying we would have been 12th when that's exactly where we are now isn't that interesting to me. The team isn't good enough and trying to make out like we would could have been higher in the table had JJ been in charge from the start is factually incorrect, as is shown by your table. We are the quintessential mid-table team this season, in form and ability, and no re-imagining of history or what ifs are going to change that. 
    12th with 14 games to go and 4 points off the play offs though…