Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Lee Clark is available after leaving Al-Merrikh in the Sudan Premier League
    I wonder how long his unbeaten run went on for there?
  • As the great Frank Gallagher said "Anyone watching thinking we know fuck all about knowing fuck all about owt, needs to watch their backs".
  • Am I the only one who cares about our style of play in the first team 10%, but cares about getting points 90%?
    Yeah we can go on about the kind of shithousery from Wycombe, but we were crap yet got shedloads of red and yellow cards, and didn’t reach the playoffs.
  • I hope that Michael Beale gets the job.
    I have a feeling that he could turn out to be someone a little bit special.

He has more kudos than most of the other names being mentioned.

I would also imagine he has a lot of contacts in the top divisions, and would be able to attract better loan players than we have had recently.
  • seth plum said:
    Am I the only one who cares about our style of play in the first team 10%, but cares about getting points 90%?
    Yeah we can go on about the kind of shithousery from Wycombe, but we were crap yet got shedloads of red and yellow cards, and didn’t reach the playoffs.
    In league 1 I’m probably 1% style, 99% results. However, in the championship I think it’s style and results are as important as each other.
  • seth plum said:
    Am I the only one who cares about our style of play in the first team 10%, but cares about getting points 90%?
    To paraphrase the former governor of minnesota 

Play well if you badly if you must but always win.

Substance over style for me.  I would feel differently if we were midtable playing ugly, in any league.
  • I actually think Beale would be a mistake, its obviously very helpful to have a good coach but ultimately its about the quality you have on the pitch and I'd rather have Taylor ( or someone similar) who has detailed knowledge of the best League 1 and League 2 players which is where we will be fishing. 
    Paul Clement would be a good example of an outstanding coach who didn't really cut it as a manager. A similar mould to Beale 
    Why would Matt Taylor have detailed knowledge of L1 players, when he's been in L2 for 4 years?
  • I feel the same with Beale he could being though our young players effectively and with all that talent there is a unique opportunity at charlton. however, to take advantage of that will need sandgaard to allow beale the time and be patient.. not just TS but us fans too. 

Singing you don't know what your doing after a dozen games next season as we have 67% possession in so many matches but win 3, lose 3 and draw 6 won't help.

Just checking for a friend but would we rather just miss out playing the MK Dons way, or get promoted playing similar to Rotherham ( Michael Smith and Stockley are similar) who were promoted and Wycombe who have a 50/50 chance of being promoted ?

IF/When Fraser gets fit the best way to get out of League 1 is to dovetail the two styles of ball retention but also sharp quick attacks with quality balls into the box from advanced positions so either Stockley/Aneke two of the best header of the ball can run on to. On the desk as well for our new attacking midfielder or new replacement for Washington to run on to.

Mix and match with relationships all over the field.

Tough gig at Cafc, Pompey, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton, now Derby. All those teams have fans who believe their teams are "massive", Charlton Athletic fans as well as Wednesday and the rest of the above.

Rotherham are certainly much more direct than MK Dons, but they weren’t what I would consider a long ball team by any stretch of the imagination.

All the balls that went into Smith in the two games I saw against them were played with quality, pace and usually into a channel he was moving into where he could control and bring other players into the game.

And usually that out ball was only played if they couldn’t move it though the thirds quickly on a turn over of play. 

Long ball to me is usually when teams smash the ball high into the air for the striker to try and head it onto runners.
    Your description of long ball sounds a lot like our recent tactics involving hoofing it to Stockley and hoping to get on the knock ons.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I actually think Beale would be a mistake, its obviously very helpful to have a good coach but ultimately its about the quality you have on the pitch and I'd rather have Taylor ( or someone similar) who has detailed knowledge of the best League 1 and League 2 players which is where we will be fishing. 
    Paul Clement would be a good example of an outstanding coach who didn't really cut it as a manager. A similar mould to Beale 
    Why would Matt Taylor have detailed knowledge of L1 players, when he's been in L2 for 4 years?
    Answer, he wouldn't.
    On that basis Johnnie Jackson should have detailed knowledge of L2 players (I bet he hasn't).
  • I feel the same with Beale he could being though our young players effectively and with all that talent there is a unique opportunity at charlton. however, to take advantage of that will need sandgaard to allow beale the time and be patient.. not just TS but us fans too. 

Singing you don't know what your doing after a dozen games next season as we have 67% possession in so many matches but win 3, lose 3 and draw 6 won't help.

Just checking for a friend but would we rather just miss out playing the MK Dons way, or get promoted playing similar to Rotherham ( Michael Smith and Stockley are similar) who were promoted and Wycombe who have a 50/50 chance of being promoted ?

IF/When Fraser gets fit the best way to get out of League 1 is to dovetail the two styles of ball retention but also sharp quick attacks with quality balls into the box from advanced positions so either Stockley/Aneke two of the best header of the ball can run on to. On the desk as well for our new attacking midfielder or new replacement for Washington to run on to.

Tough gig at Cafc, Pompey, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton, now Derby. All those teams have fans who believe their teams are "massive", Charlton Athletic fans as well as Wednesday and the rest of the above.

Rotherham are certainly much more direct than MK Dons, but they weren’t what I would consider a long ball team by any stretch of the imagination.

All the balls that went into Smith in the two games I saw against them were played with quality, pace and usually into a channel he was moving into where he could control and bring other players into the game.

And usually that out ball was only played if they couldn’t move it though the thirds quickly on a turn over of play. 

Long ball to me is usually when teams smash the ball high into the air for the striker to try and head it onto runners.
    Your description of long ball sounds a lot like our recent tactics involving hoofing it to Stockley and hoping to get on the knock ons.  
    Not even knock ons most of the time. It was defenders get the ball, pass it sideways amongst themselves, look to midfield, noone showing for it, hoof to Stockley and hope he can nod it back to one of our midfielders, more than 50% of the time we'd lose the ball.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I still think Beale is a fantastic coach, but his as untried and tested as Jacko was. 
    Any experienced manager dropping down is doing it for a reason, if they’re that good why aren’t they managing at a higher level?

A young manager stepping up is just as big a gamble, maybe like Powell and Bowyer they’re at the right club at the right time and won’t be able to recreate the success they’ve had.

We could get a proven solid League 1 manager like Robinson but I’d rather gamble on Beale being a lot better.
    I don't buy this good managers become bad bit at all.  You have to look at the whole thing in the round.  Why are managers successful in one job then fail in two.  Probably because all things aren't equal.

There are 44 teams in the two divisions above us.  Without looking I would guess that half, at least, have changed managers in the last 18 months.  Did they all become bad managers?  Admittedly some of them probably were never very good and just poor appointments but I suspect if you look at it most of them would have a lot of other considerations as well. 

Such as the board sold their star striker in January, they had a relatively small budget, the CE was to busy getting an official noddle partner in North Korea to buy the striker they needed etc etc.
    Managers like players can also improve or decline, so I don’t agree that good managers are always good managers and success is mainly down to the circumstances.

As balham said the issue is working out who are the genuinely good managers and who has only done well due to having circumstances in their favour.

I just don’t see bringing in someone who’s had a couple of promotions from this division as any more of a guarantee than taking a chance on say Taylor or Beale. Logically getting the experienced manager makes success more likely (hence TS appointing Adkins) but we know there are plenty of examples where it doesn’t work that way in reality.
  • edited May 2022
    Playing direct doesn't always equal long ball. Gk- wingback- dribble- cross- shoot direct and not the typical "long ball" style.

In the results v performance debate, I'm more towards performance, create a way of playing with the right coaching and players and get consistent performances, play to the collective strengths and the results should follow, as desperate as I am to see us out of this league, rebuilding a side and footballing "philosophy" in one/ two windows the league above would probably see us straight back down, get the ground work done now and reap the benefits later.

Mix it up as that's sensible.

Just no more of the confusion we saw last season with CB's playing tippy tappy sideway passes like some Arsenal possession game, ignoring midfield options and wide players running on just to smash it towards Stockley to knock it down to a non goal scoring midfield or Washington waiting for a ball to chase towards the corner flag. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    I'd be very disappointed with Carrick. Hasn't shown anything to suggest he can be a good manager. I remember watching their 1-1 draw with Chelsea and I have never seen such a poor man utd performance, they were embarrassingly bad and he came out and said he was proud of the performance. No thanks
    In his 3 games as manager he also beat Arsenal and Palace.  So it's a no because he only drew with the European champions......
    Clearly needs to up his game considerably for us to want anything to do with him, stuck here in the depths of Div 3.  We have the challenge of either Mansfield or Port Vale next year!!
  • seth plum said:
    There you go complaining...we got the worst record for reds and yellows on the  EFL league 1 calculations. That takes real determination. 
    A lot of the cards were down to stupid and pointless fouls and constant moaning to the refs by Stockley and Washington.
  • It's really annoying when posters on here keep refering to Charlton fan's as being entitled. 
    Wanting and expecting better than shite football in league one is not being entitled. 
    Accepting where we are is far worse in my opinion. 
    Accepting where we are is definitely worse, we should all want better and it’s not entitled. But in setting the season’s expectations, particularly with the players we currently have, being realistic and not expecting top 10 or above may well save the angst and much wailing and gnashing of teeth!  It is important for mental well being and blood pressure…..
  • Sponsored links:

Quality long passes normally diagonal from Naby Sarr(yes, really on occasions) and demonstrated by the magic in his boots Trent Alexander-Arnold are nothing to do will pointless long straight hoof balls that go flying over a 6ft 4in strikers head.

That why I said crossing from an advanced positions not aimless long passes from the back by the likes of Famewo, Pearce etc in recent times.

It would be great to emulate the ball retention and scoring ability of Gus Poyet's Brighton team back in the 3rd tier when we couldn't get a kick or the attacking prowess of Eddie Howe's Bournemouth side when he played attacking football from League 2 right the way through to the Premier and the way he used Yann with passes to his feet was a master class in pass and move with the lighting quick Wilson as the main striker ahead of Yann to win the Championship.

At least 50% of Charlton fans wouldn't accept the transition and a possible 8th or 9th finish next season as yet another season in League 1 accrues. 

The entitlement of Charlton fans and critics is hindering our progress and not helping.

Yeah. It’s Charlton fans hindering our progress, nothing to do with a non existent recruitment strategies and a squad filled with half arsers and crocks.

🤡
  • Personally, I want to get out of this league by any means possible. We have been down here too long in recent years. I don't want JFH but it is ridiculous to think that because he plays a long ball game at Burton he would do that here. Surely a decent manager plays according to what resources he has and what maximises results around that.
  • Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    From a hugely  informed source….

” it won’t be Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. We do not want to play long ball”
    Not that I want Jimmy Floyd but is that through him wanting to play long ball or wanting to win enough games to not get sacked?  I don't remember his original Burton team playing long ball.

Big Sam didn't play long ball when he had Heiro, Campo, JJ, Djorkaeff etc etc.

No one is going to get Purrington, Gilbey and Stockley et al playing like prime Barcelona are they?
    Burton are very direct and that’s not a direction we want to be going.

I agree a number of our players need tweaking and some won’t fit a new style - but that’s what Ipswich did/are doing.  They are chnanging their whole ethos to suit their new managers requirements from top to bottom.  It could be very exciting

or a car crash I suppose 😀
    Its a no from me just based on his corner and attacking throw in tactics this season.

All 10 outfield players in our box or within 10 yards of it. If they hadn't got away with tugging Washington back almost every time we broke he would have got more than the one breakaway goal that game.
  • I reckon the reason for the delay is because the manager is still in post & their season hasn't finished. 

So I'm going for Beale. 
    Agreed if was Taylor he would have joined by now ..
  • I reckon the reason for the delay is because the manager is still in post & their season hasn't finished. 

So I'm going for Beale. 
    It’s probably that but there are other reasons that could be likely. Maybe our chosen candidate is on the shortlist for QPR/Blackburn or another job so waiting for that before accepting us. Could also be negotiations over settlement with a club delaying or negotiations over managers contract especially if TS wants to put in exit clauses like with Jackson’s contract. 

Hopefully it is Beale and it’s announced on Monday after Villa’s season is finished at the weekend 
  • I used the BetVictor welcome bonus and lumped £40 (£30 bonus) at 7/2 for Beale so I'd be over the moon if it was him.
    Not convinced about him not managing before but think based on the reviews of him it's worth a shot.

• CafcWest said:
    I reckon the reason for the delay is because the manager is still in post & their season hasn't finished. 

So I'm going for Beale. 
    Wow - good thinking…amazing nobody has posted that thought before….🙁
    Well, the title of the thread asked a question.....so I answered. A week ago I would have said Taylor......next weekend I might say Klopp.