Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
  • Jody Morris - yet another ex Charlton player being talked up as next Manager
    Did he ever actually play for us?
    Game at Welling maybe?
    Game at Welling maybe?
    Definitely remember him at the welling game playing 1 half. Looked decent too tbf but never saw him again
  • edited May 2022
    Jody Morris - yet another ex Charlton player being talked up as next Manager
    Game at Welling maybe?
    Correct. Did a bit of "water carrying" in the centre of midfield. We had at least one future Charlton star in that side who went by the name of Christensen I believe.
  • Jody Morris? That can't be right.. surely he fails the minimum height requirement!
  • Had a mate at school who was a Chelsea fan that used to lie that Jody Morris was his cousin. Bizarre thing to lie about. This is late 90s/early 2000s. Probably because he was Chelsea’s only English player. 
  • swordfish said:
    Jody Morris? That can't be right.. surely he fails the minimum height requirement!

Chris Solly would look down on Jody Morris,  Erhun Otsumer, and Jack Munns.
    A giant of a player was Chris Solly in his day.
  • Pearce and Roy Keane as his assistant, the dream team, it worked for a while with Curbs and Grity, in fact why not make the set, and poach Joey Barton, could be a lively dressing room!
    We have enough injuries without our coaching team smashing up the dressing room
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022

• Could just be a few betting on Beale after reading the rumours a few days ago. Hopefully a lot more too it…
  • Slade was appointed on 6th June.

Peeters was appointed on 28th May.

Dowie was appointed on 30th May.

Too many people want everything instantly. I don’t remember the same kind of impatience while waiting for the above managerial appointments. None of them worked out but I’d reason that was down to WHO was chosen and not WHEN they were announced.

If we’re rolling into pre season (day one likely 20th June) with no manager, that’s a problem. Equally, I would like them to be in place a week or so prior which at least gives us a chance to properly recruit players to integrate into the squad at the earliest opportunity.

If we’re still in this boat two weeks from now (the famous two weeks) then I will be concerned. But until then, I think chill pills are needed…
    To be fair, because of the season starting early, any new manager would already have less time between appointment and the first game of the season compared to the three you listed. 
  • I really thought that it would be Beale but I think that would have been announced by now if it was going to be him. All a mystery to me now but if nothing is announced by COP friday even I will start to get negative vibes 
  • AndyG said:
    I really thought that it would be Beale but I think that would have been announced by now if it was going to be him. All a mystery to me now but if nothing is announced by COP friday even I will start to get negative vibes 
    Beale was still involved with Villa on Sunday .. most likey needs to take a break so if it’s him could be another week at least …..

I don’t think it’s Morris because he would have been appointed by now …. clearly someone who season finished later then ours 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Three weeks now.
    The Premier League has finished.

How many more excuses?
    Just face it: TS hasn't got a clue what he's doing. I can't believe from the threads on the play-offs and Sunderland that people think we stand a chance. It's like Everton fans thinking that they'll finish in the top six next season.
    Has there actually been any excuses?  Only conjecture, guessing and innuendo, not even a rumour.

How can there be more if there hasn't been any? 
    By 'excuses' I'm referring to all the fanciful reasons that other lifers have been giving for why we haven't appointed anyone.

Initially I labelled the sacking of Jackson as petulant but apparently it has been planned by TS for ages. So now I'm asking why, if that's the case, have we still not appointed this planned successor?

I put it to you that he sacked Jackson petulantly without thinking it through properly, and now, because of lack of faith in our recruitment and general off- pitch management, we cannot agree terms with the calibre of manager expected.

TS may have saved the club from disaster but not from the doldrums.

•  I can handle bellend's

Should this not be on Marketplace admin?
  • AndyG said:
    I really thought that it would be Beale but I think that would have been announced by now if it was going to be him. All a mystery to me now but if nothing is announced by COP friday even I will start to get negative vibes 
    Beale was still involved with Villa on Sunday .. most likey needs to take a break so if it’s him could be another week at least …..

I don’t think it’s Morris because he would have been appointed by now …. clearly someone who season finished later then ours 
    Klopp confirmed.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    AndyG said:

A break from what? He's been coaching football a few hours a day not working at air traffic control or on a covid ward.

Couple of zoom calls after work and before Eastenders, read the contract and weigh it up along with job description and parameters and accept, negotiate or decline. 

Not something that needs to be stretched out over weeks surely. 

Tommy ok if you wait for my answer after I get back from Marbs as I'm knackered from Villa?

But of course Mikey, crack on son and have a pina colada for me!
  • The new manager/coach will be put before the media on the next visit to the UK by the owner of Charlton Athletic FC, Mr Thomas Sandgaard.  Until then……..let’s all be patient, the season has only just finished, football is now on holiday for a few weeks. 
  • AndyG said:

Or Beale, Taylor and our other top targets either interviewed badly or turned us down and we are working our way through the list
  • sammy391 said:

I have absolutely zero memory of that
    Thankfully so do I 😳
  • sammy391 said:

I have absolutely zero memory of that
    Had no idea:

In June 2007, Morris was released by Millwall.[17] Morris then had a brief trial period at Charlton Athletic, and trained with League Two side Brentford, in a bid to earn himself a contract at the West London club.
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Three weeks now.
    The Premier League has finished.

How many more excuses?
    Just face it: TS hasn't got a clue what he's doing. I can't believe from the threads on the play-offs and Sunderland that people think we stand a chance. It's like Everton fans thinking that they'll finish in the top six next season.
    Has there actually been any excuses?  Only conjecture, guessing and innuendo, not even a rumour.

How can there be more if there hasn't been any? 
    By 'excuses' I'm referring to all the fanciful reasons that other lifers have been giving for why we haven't appointed anyone.

Initially I labelled the sacking of Jackson as petulant but apparently it has been planned by TS for ages. So now I'm asking why, if that's the case, have we still not appointed this planned successor?

I put it to you that he sacked Jackson petulantly without thinking it through properly, and now, because of lack of faith in our recruitment and general off- pitch management, we cannot agree terms with the calibre of manager expected.

TS may have saved the club from disaster but not from the doldrums.

I put it to you that Thomas never wanted Jackson as manager, he felt there was a lot of blame at Jackson's door for the Adkins issues, didn't agree with the formation/tactics and the use, or not, of his expensive summer signings.  Some of the performances might have crystallised his thinking.

The contract was designed so it didn't cost Thomas much to sack Jackson, unless he got within a sniff of the play offs.  If he did Thomas would have probably sucked it up and given him the summer. 

So no I don't think he sacked Jackson petulantly. 

I do know, for a fact, that Thomas's first choice, who he had spoken to, when Adkins was sacked is no longer available.  He wasn't within weeks of Adkins going that, and Jackson's great start, is part of the reason Jackson got the job.

Now if we fast foward to the now, it's quite possible that people have turned it down.  It's quite possible that people that were intrested when Bowyer and/or Adkins aren't any more.  I know of at least one. 

But we were still interviewing at the weekend.  We believe Morris and Garner have both been interviewed, with think there has been a conversation with Beale. 

Another week doesn't matter, that much, what does/would matter is if we employ a manager this week, next week or the week after is if there is a credible plan to get us out of this good dambed awful league. 

Chris Wilder? Alex Neil?