Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:

In September 2001, Morris, Chelsea teammates John TerryFrank Lampard and Eiður Guðjohnsen, and Leicester City's Frank Sinclair, were drunk and unruly in a Heathrow Airport hotel containing many Americans left stranded by the September 11 attacks. The Chelsea quartet were each fined two weeks' wages, totalling around £100,000, which was donated to the 9/11 relief efforts.[33][34][35]

In August 2002, Morris, along with fellow footballers John Terry and Des Byrne, was cleared of a charge of affray in relation to an incident at a nightclub.[36][37] In 2006, Morris drove down a one-way street the wrong way while three times over the drink-drive limit.[38] This resulted in a driving ban for four years, 80 hours of community service and a two-year suspended jail sentence.[39]

So 20 and 21 years ago......... 

Indeed.

Also had a failed trial with us in 2007.

Also played for Millwall

Also doesn't appear to have worked in football since January 2001 but his coaching record with Chelsea kids is very good, albeit they have a very good academy.

He may no longer be a little shit but he certainly was 20 years ago.
    He was the assistant manager at Derby and Chelsea, I assume you mean January 2021?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

In September 2001, Morris, Chelsea teammates John TerryFrank Lampard and Eiður Guðjohnsen, and Leicester City's Frank Sinclair, were drunk and unruly in a Heathrow Airport hotel containing many Americans left stranded by the September 11 attacks. The Chelsea quartet were each fined two weeks' wages, totalling around £100,000, which was donated to the 9/11 relief efforts.[33][34][35]

In August 2002, Morris, along with fellow footballers John Terry and Des Byrne, was cleared of a charge of affray in relation to an incident at a nightclub.[36][37] In 2006, Morris drove down a one-way street the wrong way while three times over the drink-drive limit.[38] This resulted in a driving ban for four years, 80 hours of community service and a two-year suspended jail sentence.[39]

So 20 and 21 years ago......... 

Indeed.

Also had a failed trial with us in 2007.

Also played for Millwall

Also doesn't appear to have worked in football since January 2001 but his coaching record with Chelsea kids is very good, albeit they have a very good academy.

He may no longer be a little shit but he certainly was 20 years ago.
    He was the assistant manager at Derby and Chelsea, I assume you mean January 2021?
    Indeed I did
  • means he's not leaking stuff to the press so Nixon has no idea
    Or not talking to Nixon - which is another pl7s point for TS.
  • Slade was appointed on 6th June.

Peeters was appointed on 28th May.

Dowie was appointed on 30th May.

Too many people want everything instantly. I don’t remember the same kind of impatience while waiting for the above managerial appointments. None of them worked out but I’d reason that was down to WHO was chosen and not WHEN they were announced.

If we’re rolling into pre season (day one likely 20th June) with no manager, that’s a problem. Equally, I would like them to be in place a week or so prior which at least gives us a chance to properly recruit players to integrate into the squad at the earliest opportunity.

If we’re still in this boat two weeks from now (the famous two weeks) then I will be concerned. But until then, I think chill pills are needed…
    How did all 3 of those managers get on for us!  Hardly a glowing recommendation.
  • Perhaps TS is waiting for the end of the Danish Season?
  • edited May 2022
    Slade was appointed on 6th June.

Peeters was appointed on 28th May.

Dowie was appointed on 30th May.

Too many people want everything instantly. I don’t remember the same kind of impatience while waiting for the above managerial appointments. None of them worked out but I’d reason that was down to WHO was chosen and not WHEN they were announced.

If we’re rolling into pre season (day one likely 20th June) with no manager, that’s a problem. Equally, I would like them to be in place a week or so prior which at least gives us a chance to properly recruit players to integrate into the squad at the earliest opportunity.

If we’re still in this boat two weeks from now (the famous two weeks) then I will be concerned. But until then, I think chill pills are needed…
    The Premier League season began on August 19th in 2006, so there were 80 days for Dowie to prepare. The next L1 season begins on July 30th, which is currently 67 days away.

The Championship season began on August 9th in 2014, so there were 70 days for Peeters to prepare.

The L1 season began on August 6th in 2016, so there were 61 days for Slade to prepare.

Have to say I'm not convinced that any of them are examples of good practice!
    Sure, it’s not ideal but in my mind we’ve got plenty of time. If someone had been appointed one or two weeks ago, they’d have likely spent the last week or so on the beach rather than putting any serious plans in place.

Meanwhile, anyone applying for the job currently will hopefully have had a look at our squad and started to formulate their plans for what they would want to do and how they’d take us forward, in order to pitch it to Thomas.

When we would be really in trouble is if we get to mid June, players turn up for their first day of training and there’s only Euell there to greet them.

Meanwhile, you look at a club like MK Dons who lost Russell Martin to Swansea in early August. Manning was appointed August 13th, they had already played 2 or 3 games and ended up finishing 3rd.
  • MK Dons also bought very good players.
    We didnt.
    I am surprised you think we are suddenly going to recruit a higher calibre of player.
    Nothing in the last 18 months convinces me otherwise.
  • A realistic view of TS's ownership:

- Saved us from almost certain administration or even liquidation
    - Over optimistic quotes, likely underestimated the challenge
    - Managerial appointments that looked good on paper but didn't work out
    - Signings that looked good on paper but didn't work out
    - a man that clearly wants us to do well but has been naive about this level of football
    - has spent a significant amount of his own money to bankroll us
    - has made some strange/bad decisions namely the women's team name
    - Is spending money and effort to attain cat 1 status for our academy (would be the first league 1 side ever to do this)

Anyone who focuses solely on the bad points or good points must look at the whole package.

Has TS been a great owner so far? No.
    Has TS been a shit owner so far? No.

Strikes me that he needs someone he trusts who can offer him good counsel on football matters. 
  • Clearly waiting for the World cup to finish

ah shite
  • Sponsored links:

• Not 100% reliable but MK Dons signed all but one player in July and that was a loan.

I don’t see us only needing one more by the end of August.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Milton_Keynes_Dons_F.C._season
  • Thomas and Martin and both Chelsea fans so it wouldn’t surprise me if that massively went in Morris’ favour 
  • If it's Jody Morris then I'm out.
    Why? Have you seen his cv, have you interviewed him? Do you know anything about him as a coach or manager?
    Yes I've seen his CV. Yes I've interviewed him. Yes I know about him as a coach and manager.

Sorry pal but I thought I was allowed an opinion.
  • Scoham said:
    Not 100% reliable but MK Dons signed all but one player in July and that was a loan.

I don’t see us only needing one more by the end of August.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_Milton_Keynes_Dons_F.C._season

Also, they had been tracking Manning for a little while and knew they had a like for like replacement in coaching style and ethos with him, which, it was. 

• means he's not leaking stuff to the press so Nixon has no idea
    Nothing new there then eh..
  • I’ll reserve judgement on Morris until I’ve heard what Taggy and Tissy have to say about him. 
  • edited May 2022
    Dear oh dear, not trying to say we shouldn’t care and it’ll all be fine and we’ll finish 3rd if we wait to August. There is a tipping point and I’m just saying we’re not there yet.

There are always exceptions to people’s perceived rules on how to be successful in football. Just like getting your business done early a la Ipswich doesn’t guarantee success, having your manager in place before the end of May doesn’t result in certain doom a la MK Dons.
  • Dizzle said:
    Morris was on Soccer Am on Saturday and mentioned that he had spoken to clubs about management, some recently. At the time I did wonder if it was us. Got distracted by Frankie Bridge though
    That's shocking......soccer am became life expired years ago 
    Why? Have you seen his cv, have you interviewed him? Do you know anything about him as a coach or manager?
    Yes I've seen his CV. Yes I've interviewed him. Yes I know about him as a coach and manager.

I never said you wasn't allowed an opinion. You posted a comment anti Jody Morris. I just wondered why when I'm guessing at this bit, you know very little about the guy as part of a coaching team at a professional football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vfrf said:
    Like everything Nixon tweets, nothing of any significance.
    It's a Nixon special, never give a concrete answer so there's always wiggle room for errors. If we appoint a manager tomorrow 'doing own thing' is still technically true, even though we know what he's alluding to in that tweet.
    He might as well tweet "I can sense a word coming forward... starts with the letter C..."

Then when Neil Lennon gets announced he can retweet himself and say "Got this on spot on. C for Charlton."

How are you getting on Thomas?
  • Dizzle said:
    Morris was on Soccer Am on Saturday and mentioned that he had spoken to clubs about management, some recently. At the time I did wonder if it was us. Got distracted by Frankie Bridge though
    That's shocking......soccer am became life expired years ago 
    Indeed. But I was scrolling and saw Frankie which caught my attention. Then later on Mo Gilligan was on, of which I am a big fan so tolerated it for those reasons :smile:
  • 124 unread posts to catch up on. Some juicy piece of news must have leaked.
  • Jody Morris - yet another ex Charlton player being talked up as next Manager
  • colthe3rd said:
    124 unread posts to catch up on. Some juicy piece of news must have leaked.
    I thought the same………. Fuck all news🤷🏻‍♂️
  • colthe3rd said:
    124 unread posts to catch up on. Some juicy piece of news must have leaked.
    Same number of games Jody Morris played for Chelsea. It's happening!
  • TBF there was some news