Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Roy Keane I think Jonathan ackworth would be a better manager than him talks total shit.
    That's just given the green light for Ackworth to apply.
  • Options
    Taylor was also one of my first thoughts after our relegation from the championship, he did well with Exeter that season getting them into the play-offs. Of course Bowyer stayed but even after Adkins left he was still one of my first choices.

Can't see him leaving Exeter now he has won league 2 and got them promoted. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Hasselbaink would go down well. 😂
    He went down in stages when he played for us, he was so unfit and overweight. 

From a management perspective he got lucky with Burton one season but hasn’t set the world alight at QPR or Northampton.

Personally, I don’t care who’s manager if they get us back up to and competitive in the Championship. My fear is that with the expected budget and non-playing management we have in place this is going to prove difficult for whoever gets the role. 

Over the past few years apart from Powell, Bowyer and Jackson most of the managers have been instantly forgettable or remembered for the wrong things including hiding in laundry baskets. 

• Options
    Anyone but Roy Keane. 
    And Hasselbaink. 
  • Options
    Don’t think we would be attractive enough to tempt ackworth with most people on here. 
  • Options
    Taylor was also one of my first thoughts after our relegation from the championship, he did well with Exeter that season getting them into the play-offs. Of course Bowyer stayed but even after Adkins left he was still one of my first choices.

Would depend if TS could sell him the "vision" and of course one would think that his salary would be much improved. Don't like the "we are a bigger club" argument but the fact is that Exeter's average crowd is about 5,000 and their capacity is 8,679. That, in itself, is going to restrict them so far as growth is concerned. 
  • Options
    We may well have wanted Wilder but I highly doubt he would have come here. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Yes but it is interesting to note the people we were talking to last year before being essentially 'forced' to employ Jackson permanently. 
    Sandgaard was not forced to pick Jackson. No one had him in a headlock. That was his own decision. 

He himself said he was basically forced into it because of the great results and fan pressure. 

It's a compliment to Jackson that he won himself the role, but indicates that Thomas had his eye elsewhere before the results picked up. 
    Thomas had someone lined up to replace Adkins and was talked into giving Jackson a trial spell by someone. 

That person is no longer available. 

Is your source reliable ?
    And how is Mr x doing in his new job ?

• Options

Taylor is a young and upcoming manager who will at some point want to move onto a bigger and better job than Exeter City. He might well fancy having a crack with them in league one next season but if he were given the opportunity to manage Charlton he might just as easily see that as a stepping stone to even bigger things. I think every manager in league two and at least 2/3 of league one would look at the Charlton job very seriously. 
  • Options
    Just reading up on Michael Beale and he looks like a great prospect as the coach. Will Sandgaard look for a manager to go alongside him? Where does that leave Euell - academy, development and junior teams?
    We need a strong academy to feed into senior team and sell on other prospects….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just reading up on Michael Beale and he looks like a great prospect as the coach. Will Sandgaard look for a manager to go alongside him? Where does that leave Euell - academy, development and junior teams?
    We need a strong academy to feed into senior team and sell on other prospects….
    Coach to the strikers?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Unless it’s Thomas Franke at Brentford I can’t think of any Danish coaches that I would get excited about 

What about Thomas Thomasberg at Randers? Yes that's his real name.
    Or……I C Berg from Norway?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dizzle said:
    Can only be Wilder or Bruce. Both of which I find hard to believe would drop down to League One
    I'd love us to get Wilder. (edit: I get that he's very, very unlikely of an option)
  • Options
    Matt Taylor is a very good bloke and clearly a good manager.

However it took him four years to rebuild Exeter and get them promoted. That might be how long it takes here too.

Can fans be that patient? I fear for whoever is coming in next.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Overall I think its a good idea, yes we should get another manager. As to who that manager should be, that's a different question.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    There are lot of sharp u-turns being done on Neil Harris, people were losing their nuts at the thought he would get the job, and I suspect a lot of the affection is built on him slagging his players off on the telly at the weekend. 
    He'd be a good fit for a number of reasons.
    1. He's an affable person.
    2. He's overcome adversity on a personal level.
    3. He'd bring stability.
    4. Recent jobs means he'd have contacts for potential signings from those clubs (Ben Thompson and Mahlon Romeo are two former players of ours that would be more than decent signings for you).
    5. He knows how to put together both a challenging for the play-offs team and also a promotion winning one.
    6. Whatever anyone thinks of his playing style, he gets the team/squad playing for each other and with tenacity and an actual shape.
    7. Isn't afraid to blood youngsters if he thinks they're good enough.
    The above are probably in a horrific order but I'm shooting from the hip here  :)
    Isn't that the exact problem TS had with Jackson.

Plus didn't go well at Cardiff did it, I am sure our fans will be all over that one at some time.
  • Options
    would imagine the new manager will be announced in the next couple of days. TS would not have sacked Jacko on the spur of the moment without a replacement lined up. If I remember rightly, he had Adkins ready and waiting well before Bowyer went. Could be the same ting happening now. 
  • Options
    I am 100% confident that Harris is nowhere near consideration
  • Options
    Harris joined Cardiff in the November, and by the end of that season got them to fifth, a play off spot, in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think I've seen one name yet that is either a) easily available or b) a potentially exciting appointment

Matt Taylor from Exeter at a push, but it still doesn't get the juices flowing really.

If TS doesn't have someone lined up, and the candidates being touted are the options available, then I don't hold much hope on this going well. 
  • Options
    Carly burn said:
     Convinced now that this is a rouse to bring in the players he wants without some meddling manager.
    F*******g nonsense
    Concerningly, it certainly seems that way from TS comments.

I would have thought any rated manager would not accept having players picked for them. 

The one or two clubs that have tried that and brought in a coach rather than manager, who has limited say over player recruitment have failed.  Certainly a couple of premiership clubs did years ago trying to mimic a European style.     
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Yes but it is interesting to note the people we were talking to last year before being essentially 'forced' to employ Jackson permanently. 
    Sandgaard was not forced to pick Jackson. No one had him in a headlock. That was his own decision. 

He himself said he was basically forced into it because of the great results and fan pressure. 

It's a compliment to Jackson that he won himself the role, but indicates that Thomas had his eye elsewhere before the results picked up. 
    Thomas had someone lined up to replace Adkins and was talked into giving Jackson a trial spell by someone. 

That person is no longer available. 

Is your source reliable ?
    And how is Mr x doing in his new job ?

Pretty reliable, Mr X is doing very nicely thank you and would have been much more warmly received than Jimmy Floyd will be. 
  • Options
    Matt Taylor is a very good bloke and clearly a good manager.

However it took him four years to rebuild Exeter and get them promoted. That might be how long it takes here too.

Can fans be that patient? I fear for whoever is coming in next.
    Taylor has done a good job there, but he took over a decent side - 4th and 5th in the 2 season before he took over. And Exeter is a well run and stable club with an excellent academy, at L2 level you'd expect them to do well, it's not like getting a Morecambe or Cambridge promoted.
  • Options
    I want Gareth Ainsworth but he’s not even in the running according to the bookies.

I’ve looked at the favourites, none of them jump out and make me say “him, I want him” to be honest, mainly because I don’t know much about Beale and others seem merry go round managers.  

So I’ve gone with Ainsworth as my choice, I think we need someone who will shore things up a bit, someone who knows how to win games ugly if necessary, this man did this to us twice this season and has got out this league before.

Of course this all depends on Wycombe failing miserably in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Genuinely would go for Mick McCarthy. People will say old school and should retire, but only 63 (don't be ageist), promotion at Sunderland and Wolves, play off with Ipswich, did ok with Cardiff. Somehow made ROI competitive and always come across as honest and engaging. I think young and hungry always sounds great on paper, but IMHO he'd command respect and discipline.
  • Options
    Genuinely would go for Mick McCarthy. People will say old school and should retire, but only 63 (don't be ageist), promotion at Sunderland and Wolves, play off with Ipswich, did ok with Cardiff. Somehow made ROI competitive and always come across as honest and engaging. I think young and hungry always sounds great on paper, but IMHO he'd command respect and discipline.
    Thats the last type of person Sandgaard would be looking at imo