Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    I hope Sandgaard has a good handle on youth football in this country because that’s probably the best place to find someone who will accept this style of management.
    U23 coaches under the age of 50 working in Premier League 2…

Brian Barry-Murphy : Man City
    Elliot Dickman : Newcastle
    Jamie Collins : Wolves
    Kevin Betsy : Arsenal
    Deon Burton : West Brom (ex-Charlton…)
    Andy Reid : Forest (ex-Charlton…)
    Alan Neilson : Norwich
    Paddy McCarthy : Crystal Palace (ex-Charlton…)
    Andrew Taylor : Leeds
    Neil Wood/Paul McShane : Man Utd
    Andrew Crofts : Brighton (ex-Charlton…)
    Mark Delaney : Aston Villa
    Mark Tinkler : Middlesbrough
    Andy Myers : Chelsea
    Noel Hunt : Reading
    Pat Lyons : Derby
    Good start, but which ones play out from the back with a high press?

Might be quicker to list those who don’t.
    I’d like it if we played out from the back with a low block and a medium press. 
    Do I get the job?
    What’s your pedigree like for the role?

Did I ever mention my grandad was a manager of Millwall? Not for long, he was a bit rubbish. 
    If I’m honest I played football a lot at school, and then for five or six years for my work team, with ever really being aware of formations. I was the lanky number nine. But tactics never really came into it, unless you include violence (always a last resort). 
    Even now I’m always the last to spot that we’ve switched to a diamond (not a problem this season gone).
    Things improved for the last two games, as I now wear glasses. I can actually see what’s going on up the away end at last. 
    That should swing it. 👍
    You sound a bit over qualified..sorry...😉
  • Options
    Can anyone list the names of everyone mentioned so far. Been attempting to work today.
  • Options
    Let’s face it he wants a puppet that he can control. Most managers worth their salt will tell him to do one. We will end up with a yes man 
  • Options
    Let’s face it he wants a puppet that he can control. Most managers worth their salt will tell him to do one. We will end up with a yes man 
    That will be Darren Ferguson then. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    I hope Sandgaard has a good handle on youth football in this country because that’s probably the best place to find someone who will accept this style of management.

Do I get the job?

Did I ever mention my grandad was a manager of Millwall? Not for long, he was a bit rubbish. 
    If I’m honest I played football a lot at school, and then for five or six years for my work team, with ever really being aware of formations. I was the lanky number nine. But tactics never really came into it, unless you include violence (always a last resort). 
    Even now I’m always the last to spot that we’ve switched to a diamond (not a problem this season gone).
    Things improved for the last two games, as I now wear glasses. I can actually see what’s going on up the away end at last. 
    That should swing it. 👍
    Give it a few years and they’ll be naming a stand after you. But violence should always be a first resort surly with your Millwall heritage 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    CAFCsayer said:
    I know that this isn't the first time I've mentioned him and I'm going to sound like a warped record but I am scratching my head as to why Matt Taylor isn't being talked up or included in the betting for our next Manager. So, what is wrong with the credentials of someone that

(1) is not just leading his team to promotion but on the verge of being Champions too

(2) is managing a team that has picked up 50 out of the last 66 points available

(3) is in charge of a side that has only conceded 6 goals in their last 12 matches when the pressure for promotion is at its greatest

(4) has been in the same job for four seasons with a win record of 45% and a loss record of just 25% from 212 games in charge

(5) was a major part of CP's League 1 Champions team in playing in 41 of the 46 games that season

(6) is so open to different footballing ideas so much so that, at the very late age of 23, he switched from being a keeper to a centre back. Who has ever done that successfully?

(7) played for his current club as he did for us so has proven credentials for being able to play, coach and manage at the same club

(8) played with a major figure in our backroom staff namely Jason Euell

(9) is known for bringing through young players - six of the 14 players used in their last game are 23 or younger and only two are older than 27

(10) Success despite having to sell the attacking influences of Randell Williams, Ryan Bowman and Joey Randall but identified suitable replacements

(11) Will know how to bring the very best out of Stockley who he managed at Exeter and unless we sell him that will be a major key to our success

(12) on his release as a player, our very own fans said of him on CL: 
    "Never once moaned about losing his place and was always available when called upon. Great pro, good luck to him"
    "Had the pleasure of a round of golf with him and he was genuinely a great bloke"
    "Was on Matt's table at the sponsors do in the promotion season. Lovely fella"
    "Yep good luck to Matt always gave 100% and nice bloke gave my son a signed shirt when he left"
    "Matt is a good friend of a contact of mine in Manchester. When he heard I was a Charlton fan he went to the trouble of getting me a signed Charlton shirt of all the players in our Division 1 title winning side. That is now framed and has pride of place on my hall wall. Genuine bloke"
    "If only all players had the attitude, character and commitment that Matt Taylor showed"

(13) the fans of his current club rank him (in his first job as a manager) as one of their best ever Managers as per these comments from half a dozen contributors to their forum:
    "In four seasons MT has rebuilt a couple of attacking teams now, quite frankly i actually believe last season in periods-that was probably the most formidable attacking team (Randall,Randall,Jay,Bowman) i've ever seen at SJP. Its been a long ten years in League 2 and Matty had gone close, but for me you have to praise him because people were quite rightly questioning if it was ever going to happen, we had just received the Watkins and Randall Money and Fans expectations changed drastically and he got his Marquee signings in and has now fantastically completed the job. For me Taylor is on course to be our Best Manager ever, He's also my favourite manager ever in that he is very humble and will take accountability and i'm sure if things do wrong and he wasn't the man to take the club forward, he would be the first person to say so."
    "I think if we win the title then it elevates Taylor above Tisdale as it will be one each on net promotions but winning the Championship pips it. Its a close call but then taking into account both of their personalities Taylor wins as Tisdale was a c0ck and Taylor isn't."
    "Tactically, MT has the edge on the other managers of the promotion sides I have seen."
    "What really excites though, is looking forward. This season MT has really produced the goods, and for the most part through very entertaining football (which is why I think the crowds this season have been so impressive). He’s had a cash advantage, but still less to play with than a few of the others in the division. I think if he can keep the better players and add a couple the next couple of seasons could put him top for me"
    "Matt Taylor is the GOAT"

If we want someone who will, potentially, build for the future as opposed to a short term fix then why not go for a Manager with a proven record for doing so and who carries no baggage with him. There are clues from what our supporters who know him said when he left us and what Exeter fans are saying now so far as his personality is concerned. But we also know that he likes his sides to play entertaining football, that he is tactically sound and knows who and what type of player to bring in. In fact, he sounds very much like Eddie Howe and his playing background is similar too - I don't think Howe ever played above League 1. 

And for those that still have doubts about his ability to produce the magical, from five years ago when he was the Exeter defensive coach, please watch this!

PS Disclosure - if he gets the job I should be getting a "finders fee" from the Club - linked to his level of his success of course!!!

I hate that I'm saying this, but I think he will want to give it a go with Exeter and we are not a big enough draw to drag him away from that.
    Money will talk.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can anyone list the names of everyone mentioned so far. Been attempting to work today.
    Only that Carrick is definitely the type of manager we should get and totally the type of manager we should avoid. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Do I get the job?

That should swing it. 👍
    Give it a few years and they’ll be naming a stand after you. But violence should always be a first resort surly with your Millwall heritage 
    I was more a Harry Cripps fan than a ‘wall fan. Switched to Charlton when he came here. 
    Bit of a shame really. 
  • Options
    I've narrowed it down to:

Michael Beale
    Michael Duff
    Matt Taylor 
    Mark Warburton 

This !!
  • Options

Michael Beale
    Michael Duff
    Matt Taylor 
    Mark Warburton 

What about Mark Bonner?
  • Options
    My short list of people I think it could be, not necessarily who I want.

Laudrup (M)
    Beale
    Euell
    JFH
    Warburton 

• Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Letting Jackson go is the right decision IMO. He wasn't a failure but he wasn't a success either and he is still a Charlton legend.

Given the talk around his contract situation you'd have thought and hoped he'd be able to achieve more. The players obviously take a massive amount of blame but I feel what he achieved was par and we need more.

If it was my money I'd have made the same decision here despite how much pressure there is on getting the next appointment right and I'd like to see whoever comes in be able to bring in their backroom team.

Of the names around I'd love Keane just for the entertainment factor but it probably wouldn't work out.

More seriously we should try and go all out for Mowbray given the job he's done at Blackburn and talk of him going back to Scotland means we'd surely be in with a shout of tempting him.

Other than that I have no real preference other than please not McLeish. Would have preferred we kept JJ if that's who we appoint.
    If you wanna bone crusher like Keane We could coax Kevin Muscat away from coaching in the the lower leagues of Japan The only positive i gave Muscat, a modicum of respect for, was his win at all costs mentality .Losing wasn't in his dictionary.Millwall got to the FAcup final with him as a player.When did we last do that
    Gonna say 1947.  Although the answer was in the name….
  • Options
    Three words: John George Terry 
    Would rather John George Haigh.
    John George Paul Ringo.  At least we’d get rid of Addicks to Victory

• Options
    edited May 2022

Michael Beale
    Michael Duff
    Matt Taylor 
    Mark Warburton 

I have done similar. I’ve got.

Ron Dangerfield
    Chris Tugwell 
    George Cole
    Colin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon that whoever it is, it will be more of the same next season.
    Disregarding my pessimism, I believe that the best man for the job was, and still is, Lee Bowyer.
    Wonder if TS was giving him football advice before he left ? 
  • Options
    Got a feeling it is going to be Jimmy floyd. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Choice between 
    Michael Beale and Liam Manning for me.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    That would be utterly soul destroying. If he, Neil Lennon or Lee Johnson got the job I genuinely wouldn’t go to a game. 
  • Options
    Genuinely would go for Mick McCarthy. People will say old school and should retire, but only 63 (don't be ageist), promotion at Sunderland and Wolves, play off with Ipswich, did ok with Cardiff. Somehow made ROI competitive and always come across as honest and engaging. I think young and hungry always sounds great on paper, but IMHO he'd command respect and discipline.
    Ipswich fans we spoke to on Saturday said Mccarthy's football was dire to watch and gates dropped off. 
    And got relegated as soon as he left.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I usually dislike the summer and get bored without the football.
    This summer will be interesting and before you know it we will have the football round again.
    Am I right in thinking the last two managers appointed in order to start a fresh season were Dowie and Peeters?
    Russell Slade - easily forgotten though!
    Yeah!
    Brilliant.
    Russell ‘are you patient Louis?’ Slade.
    He lasted until the November I think.
    He failed to be Russell ‘do well and then jump ship’ Slade with us, because he was unable to do well.
    Don’t be too harsh he signed some real Charlton legends - Novak, Ajose, Foley and Crofts. He also gave me my most memorable Charlton game - 2-0 defeat away at Bury on the first day of the season.
    Evening Roger 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor. A bloke who was an all action grafter as a player, and a football man. 
    He was given time - 4 years - to turn Exeter into a promotion winning team.
    Not half an already wrecked season, with a squad full of someone else’s players and a raft of injuries. 
    See what happens when you give young coaches with potential the chance to build something?
    There’s no point in appointing Taylor. He’s Jackson with blonde hair. 
    What does Thomas want exactly? 

I might be delusional here, but we are Charlton and they are Exeter. They can afford to have a trial and error with an inexperienced manager and float in league 2 as they just aren’t as an attractive as a project as we are. We should be a championship side and shouldn’t be allowing inexperienced managers anywhere near us. Really feels like we’ve become far too happy with mediocrity. I wouldn’t be happy with it taking a manager 4 years to get us out of this league. If we have the budget as advertised then it should be done in one, two at most. Plenty of sides have proven it’s possible in the past and plenty will again
    Like we gave Steve Gritt and Alan Curbishley their start in the Championship and time to grow, you mean? Didn’t work out too badly, did it? 
    Continuity works in football. It breeds success because the bloke in charge gets to stamp his style on the whole club. 
  • Options
    That would be utterly soul destroying. If he, Neil Lennon or Lee Johnson got the job I genuinely wouldn’t go to a game. 
    I said that about Hasslewank on another thread and all I got was some nonsense from @Covered End about where I live - as if living in France stops me from going to games, or means that I shouldn't be allowed an opinion.