Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Can't say that anyone named as " in the running" fills me with any confidence. 

The more I hear the owner speak I just want him to shove a sock in it. 

I know it's his style but at times he does sound like he is spouting utter bollocks. 

I don't want anyone like the man who's arse was the size of two small planets in a Charlton kit anywhere near the hot seat. 

Anyway, Thomas, less is more as you're begining to lose a few people. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Lee Bowyer might be available in 24 hours. :D
  • Options
    Hamza Serrar. Give him the job TS. Done brilliantly with the youth squad. High pressing style. Averaged 4 goals a game I think. Knows all the future stars of the Charlton first team very well. Will grow and develop and looks to be his own man and looks like he doesn't take any nonsense. Can see him gong all the way. 
  • Options
    Neil Lennon would be strange if for no other reason he’s only been in his current job for two months and is according to the website I looked at under contract until 2024. If his mate as has been suggested wants to plough a pile of money into Charlton you’d assume he’s been in talks with TS for some months. Why would Lennon then take a job in Cyprus? 
    Especially being ginger. Imagine all the factor 50 he gets theough
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer might be available in 24 hours. :D
    Is Bob Nudd aware of this news? 
  • Options
    Is it acceptable to call people ginger and ginger twat now days.in our multi cultural politically correct society.   
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’m expecting the new appointment to be someone we’re *not* expecting. I’ll bet it’s someone who hadn’t even been mentioned here. 
    Would rather a safe pair of hands, I think.
    Quite concerned that our reputation as a basket case club isn’t going to help recruiting players or manager. Oh for a couple of good, solid seasons, one of which ends in a promotion. 
    We’re still a relatively big name at this level and in the end it’ll come down to money more than anything. TS claims we had the 3rd highest budget this season and that we’ll be in the same ballpark next season.

Are we seen as complete basket case from the outside? We’re probably seen as underachieving with an owner making some questionable decisions. It often seems worse because everything TS says and everything the club does is over analysed and picked apart.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I’m expecting the new appointment to be someone we’re *not* expecting. I’ll bet it’s someone who hadn’t even been mentioned here. 
    Quite concerned that our reputation as a basket case club isn’t going to help recruiting players or manager. Oh for a couple of good, solid seasons, one of which ends in a promotion. 
    We’re still a relatively big name at this level and in the end it’ll come down to money more than anything. TS claims we had the 3rd highest budget this season and that we’ll be in the same ballpark next season.

Are we seen as complete basket case from the outside? We’re probably seen as underachieving with an owner making some questionable decisions. It often seems worse because everything TS says and everything the club does is over analysed and picked apart.
    I think so, yes, speaking to people who aren’t Charlton fans, and a few journos that I know. I suspect we’re over analysed because it’s all a bit soap opera like.
    But yes, I guess it might come down to the budget in the end. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:

Of course money talks and is probably the biggest motivator for most people.  But even when Roland was here people applied for the job. 

For the same reason managers keep signing players like Tony Watt many managers will have the self belief that they could be the person to turn it round.  If it works they are a hero and at worst could probably get steady employment in the championship for a decade on the back of it.  At worst they always have the "the owner is a nutter, not my fault" card in their back pocket.

It's the same with most players, look when we signed Washington and Gilbey.  We were literally a basket case then. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    SweetCAFC said:
    I think it will be Warburton.

Rumours that he would be leaving QPR started early April and was looking for a new project where he could potentially achieve success - Charlton? We have since recruited Dangerfield and De Souza, both of whom it seems worked with Warburton at Brentford- indeed, the club announcement of Da Souza highlighted this - coincidence? 

If it is Warburton, presumably it wouldn’t be announced until after QPR have finished their season- we will see… Interesting times!
    I think you might be right. Thomas has previously salivated at the Brentford model too and as you say, has already installed Dangerfield and De Souza. 

Warburton feels like Adkins II 
    What does Warburton have in common with Adkins?  
    Like Adkins in that he’s a bloke who has some success on his CV, albeit way back when, and in his 50s, isn’t the most dynamic choice - unlike a Russell Martin or Liam Manning type who play a progressive, modern style. 
    I also doubt he’d accept Thomas’ son as transfer guru, if this quote is accurate: 

‘A week later, a club statement confirmed that Warburton, assistant David Weir and Sporting Director Frank McParland would be leaving Brentford at the end of the 2014–15 season, citing the trio's differences with owner Matthew Benham's anticipated remodelling of the club's management structure,[48] which would include recruitment being based on mathematical modelling and statistics allied to normal scouting methods.[49] The Hounslow Chronicle later dubbed the saga "Warburtongate".[50] Ahead of Brentford's playoff campaign in May 2015, Warburton revealed the truth about his departure, saying "I think the manager has to pick the team and have the final say, in my opinion.’

Warburton wouldn’t be my first choice but he’s not an Adkins. Adkins’ success was a decade ago. Warburton is still doing well this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the decision was made due to the availability of a preferred manager, you would think it might be Warburton. If that is the case, you would expect an announcement after QPR's final game. If it was Ferguson, you would expect the announcement to already have been made. If not, it seems a bit reckless. It is a key job distracting from the rebuilding that should already have started in terms of planning.

I found last Summer one of the most frustrating ones ever. I was hoping for much better this, but it hasn't started well.
  • Options
    I’d be happy with Warburton, can’t see it happening though! I agree with others, I think it’ll be someone we won’t have spoken about. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    SweetCAFC said:
    I think it will be Warburton.

Rumours that he would be leaving QPR started early April and was looking for a new project where he could potentially achieve success - Charlton? We have since recruited Dangerfield and De Souza, both of whom it seems worked with Warburton at Brentford- indeed, the club announcement of Da Souza highlighted this - coincidence? 

If it is Warburton, presumably it wouldn’t be announced until after QPR have finished their season- we will see… Interesting times!
    I think you might be right. Thomas has previously salivated at the Brentford model too and as you say, has already installed Dangerfield and De Souza. 

Warburton feels like Adkins II 
    What does Warburton have in common with Adkins?  
    Like Adkins in that he’s a bloke who has some success on his CV, albeit way back when, and in his 50s, isn’t the most dynamic choice - unlike a Russell Martin or Liam Manning type who play a progressive, modern style. 
    I also doubt he’d accept Thomas’ son as transfer guru, if this quote is accurate: 

‘A week later, a club statement confirmed that Warburton, assistant David Weir and Sporting Director Frank McParland would be leaving Brentford at the end of the 2014–15 season, citing the trio's differences with owner Matthew Benham's anticipated remodelling of the club's management structure,[48] which would include recruitment being based on mathematical modelling and statistics allied to normal scouting methods.[49] The Hounslow Chronicle later dubbed the saga "Warburtongate".[50] Ahead of Brentford's playoff campaign in May 2015, Warburton revealed the truth about his departure, saying "I think the manager has to pick the team and have the final say, in my opinion.’

Warburton wouldn’t be my first choice but he’s not an Adkins. Adkins’ success was a decade ago. Warburton is still doing well this season. 
    Last comparable promotion was finishing runner up in League One, in 2014. 
    Won the Scottish second division in 2016. 
    Will finish mid table with QPR this season.
    IMHO he feels very much like an Adkins-type appointment. 

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Someone mentioned a woman doing the job and the more I think about it,it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The publicity Sandgaard would get would be something only someone like him could only dream of. Would go down an absolute treat with his American following and maybe even some of them would watch.
    Never been done before and it's a new angle.

Got Sandgaard written all over it!
    Yeah it was me. Mainly said in jest, but wouldn't shock me 
    Saw the women's game on Sunday. Charlton did a Golfie. Heads didn't drop. If Karen Hills took the mens team it would cause uproar but is there a good reason why she couldn't? Hypothetical of course 
    There are plenty of reasons she couldn’t. In fact, has she ever been involved in men’s football?
  • Options
    Is it acceptable to call people ginger and ginger twat now days.in our multi cultural politically correct society.   
    If it’s John Yems, then yes apparently 🤔
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    He suffered from depression and I think he lost all his hair.
  • Options
    It seems to me that the Sangaards want to try and emulate the way Brentford have worked over the past few years, using statistical data as the main recruitment tool.

Warburton was on board with this at Brentford and did very well there. As other have said, other recent recruits have a Brentford background. It wouldn't surprise me if Warburton is the target, though I would be surprised if he'd drop to League One.

It's almost ironic that we are aspiring to "do a Brentford", a team that historically has generally been below us in terms of league position and support.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has already been reported & hopefully bollocks, but Steve Kean being linked by the Scottish media 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-kean-charlton-shortlist-hibs-26873149

His managerial record

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    I'll quiz him when Villa come to Perth in July!  :*
  • Options
    I've narrowed it down to:

Michael Beale
    Michael Duff
    Matt Taylor 
    Mark Warburton 

Prob good shout
  • Options
    JFH I reckon 
  • Options
    Martin Sandgaard, nailed on. 
  • Options

https://youtu.be/KiEUkYCuvuM
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Martin Sandgaard, nailed on. 
    If that happens, hell will rain down!!!! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Has TS got any bored kids hanging about?
  • Options
    It seems to me that the Sangaards want to try and emulate the way Brentford have worked over the past few years, using statistical data as the main recruitment tool.

Warburton was on board with this at Brentford and did very well there. As other have said, other recent recruits have a Brentford background. It wouldn't surprise me if Warburton is the target, though I would be surprised if he'd drop to League One.

It's almost ironic that we are aspiring to "do a Brentford", a team that historically has generally been below us in terms of league position and support.
    I don't see an issue in using the Brentford model as a basis for success, we seem to have a lot of snobs supporting us who turn their noses up at the thought of looking at other club's players, managers or backroom staff who are historically smaller than ourselves. They need to realise we are not top tier nor even an established second tier side and haven't been for a long time. 

The issue I do see with using this model is that it isn't necessarily an instant fix to the issues we have, it takes time implementing all the pieces to ensure that it all works. I think it took Brentford something like 5 years to get out of L1 when Benham took over. I'm willing to be patient and see what happens with regards to the managerial appointment and player recruitment, not saying I'd be happy to wait 5 years but as long as we are seeing good progress each season then that is acceptable for me.