Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    If we got a manager in we could be confident he would do the job, it would probably cost us more than we have. JFH is probably just as likely to be a success as anybody else. We simply don't know.

If we were in the running for a Dyche, Wilder or possibly at a pinch a Warburton, then we might be closer to having a great chance. But I doubt we are so there is significant risk.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Redhenry said:
    no, I honestly believe they have just started looking
    I think there is a case to be made for this.
    Up until Ipswich away possibly TS was vacillating, but that performance, in front of him, and in front of loyal fans you hope would possibly buy season tickets may well have been the deciding factor.
    That's exactly how I see it. 
    Listening to the travelling supporters singing we're f#$##ing shit probably sealed Jackson's fate. 
  • Options
    What I think we need to do is stop trying to be better than everybody else and instead try to be as good as we can be. The former implies there is a secret that nobody else knows where generally it is about having a vision and maximising your path to get there. There are different ways to get to where you want to be, and it isn't a paint by numbers process you can copy but rather a reactive one where those with the vision steer the ship. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Redhenry said:
    Up until Ipswich away possibly TS was vacillating, but that performance, in front of him, and in front of loyal fans you hope would possibly buy season tickets may well have been the deciding factor.
    Listening to the travelling supporters singing we're f#$##ing shit probably sealed Jackson's fate. 
    Weak leadership then. These are the same morons who sing the Adams family dross for Christ's sake.
    Yep I agree with you on both counts. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Sources suggest that isn't the case.

Whether they have found someone and they have agreed to come I don't know. 

hope so...
  • Options
    I don't like the suggestion that we can press full steam ahead with recruitment notwithstanding the new manager may not be in place until late in the window.
    The players we would want to recruit for, say Gareth Ainsworth or Daniel Farke would be totally different.
    It would be a nonsense not to get the manager's involvement.

Depends on whether we’re hiring a manager or a head coach. I have a feeling (based on absolutely no inside info) that it might be the latter. 
  • Options
    Sandgaard likes the initials of Tim Sherwood  🤣
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Mark Warburton is an interesting character:

A successful trader in the city in his late 30's with plenty of *money in the bank he turns his back on that lavish lifestyle to follow his dream of coaching in professional football. He travelled Europe watching the difference coaching methods of top European clubs.

The big difference with Nigel Adkins is despite Mark being 59 to NA's 57, Mark Warburton has stayed working in the crazy world of football with all its politics and maverick owners. Nigel Adkins took the time out and then found football never stops evolving with constant new formations and agents becoming more powerful than ever.

You need to be a strong character to manage Glasgow Rangers and he did that on their Journey back to the top table after their enforced relegations.

In the last 20+ years Warburton is over qualified in being a top coach, manager, director of football, plus with his background in the City he has also worked on Footballer's contracts.

The big issue would be MW wouldn't accept not having the main say in transfers and the Martin Sandgaard position at the club. Thomas Sandgaard would've to accept he has a very bright Manager on and off the pitch and give him 100% support.

So my choices would be either Mark Warburton with total managerial control or Curbs as "Director of football" with Michael Beale as manager/Head coach.

* Dough

So the problem with Adkins is football changed so much in 18 months so the solution is Curbs who has been out of the game more more like 18 years?

Edit that ignores the fact Warburton had 18 months out between the forest and qpr jobs as well. 

I'm still getting over you said I listen to people in the park !

While Atkins was doing lovely walks, Warburton was working in football keeping abreast of players and his contacts. Nigel was doing motivation speeches away from football. Was he out of football as long as I thought, no he wasn't, but after hearing him on two Zooms he really wasn't coherent other than saying Watson was the best player in training.

A total insult to Curbs if you think he couldn't be a "director of Football" at Charlton. Beale would pick the team and dictate formations and Tatics. Curbs would be important in trying to stop the fans, critics deserting in their thousands and being the conduit with the Sandgaards.

Do I think that scenario will happen?

No.
    It's not a total insult if its not a job he wants or is ever, realistically, going to be offered. 

Curbs at the end of a phone or half an hour over a pint if the manager wants should be his level of his involvement, for everyone's sake. 

What work was Warburton doing?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cawley’s ruled out Sol Campbell.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Three things 

JFH was a poor player for us as we got him too late. Irrelevant to his ability as a manager. Would he be my choice? No, but he's done a decent job at Burton on a tiny budget.

Martin Sandgaard can't be manager as you need badges these days. He ain't got them.

Thomas very unlikely to appoint a woman IMHO because, among many reasons he's, by his own admission, not PC or woke, meaningless and overused as those words now are.  See "Ladies" team 

Agree Henry.
    Emma Hayes the successful Chelsea women's manager felt insulted when Wimbledon wondered if she was interested.
    Not because she couldn't do the Job but that it wasn't a bigger club ! Emma can swear like a trooper and would take no nonsense and has all the qualifications starting when she was 20 years old, but it would be a backward step to go to a 3rd tier or lower club in the macho world of men's football.

Just my opinion but the first female manager in the men's game in the top 5 tiers will already be a manager in the men's game at a lower level. I can't give any names because I haven't seen any in the Kent League or around step 4 and 5 in semi pro football. Work your way up in the men's game so you know what to expect from the dinosaurs who think their the first person to say passe "jokes' that were so last century.

Could be still a decade away ?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cawley’s ruled out Sol Campbell.

It's actually because TS sees in the stats that the majority of the managers winning promotions are white. 

/sarcasm 
  • Options
    Three things 

JFH was a poor player for us as we got him too late. Irrelevant to his ability as a manager. Would he be my choice? No, but he's done a decent job at Burton on a tiny budget.

Martin Sandgaard can't be manager as you need badges these days. He ain't got them.

Thomas very unlikely to appoint a woman IMHO because, among many reasons he's, by his own admission, not PC or woke, meaningless and overused as those words now are.  See "Ladies" team 
     But it would give him the exposure he craves.

He's tried the football route,albeit for a short period, and the chances and time needed to make Charlton a household name would take years and a shed load of cash best case.

All hypothetical and probably nonsense but it's the kind of caper you wouldn't put past him.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Redhenry said:
    Weak leadership then. These are the same morons who sing the Adams family dross for Christ's sake.
    No it isn't. Only a few supporters confined to one part of the stadium sing the adams family!

And here you go again with the name calling when you went on and on when you were called a name!!!
  • Options
    Three things 

Don't come on here with rationality, people are getting angry over things that have not nor will ever happen.
  • Options
    TS is surprised by the amount of applicants already and feels this means the club is in a much better state already and is more attractive proposition than it was a year ago. He also agrees that we need a manager who has experience of the level we want to get to (champ) rather than just league 1 or below. He also says it will be a little while before a new manager is announced, at least 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    TS is surprised by the amount of applicants already and feels this means the club is in a much better state already and is more attractive proposition than it was a year ago. He also agrees that we need a manager who has experience of the level we want to get to (champ) rather than just league 1 or below. He also says it will be a little while before a new manager is announced, at least 2 weeks. 
    Source? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Gonna be hilarious when we play a high-pressing style, break down the low block and blow the league out of the water :) 
    Air Guitar GIFs  Tenor
  • Options
    Experience of higher levels as either a coach or a manager I hope! Can't be ruling out the Beales of the world already...plus, 'experience' can be a double-edged sword, given how many have experienced and failed...
  • Options
    Where did you get this information from ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cawley seems to know names. He normally doesn't bat names off so quickly and sharply.
  • Options
    Nope just the state of Football as a whole, Managers know they cant afford to be out of the game for too long else they get forgotten and become the next Alan Curbishley - Unfortunately I bet 90% of applicants are the type of Phil Brown | Alan Pardew type of Manager who are next to useless, and are only getting roles still because of past accomplishments.

Hopefully we can go after someone who hasnt necessarily applied for the role (Michael Beale "cough"!!)
  • Options
    Urgh. So Beale, Taylor etc ruled out. Why not get someone on the up with fresh ideas rather than another Adkins who’s probably past his best? 

Assuming it’s true we’re ruling out those who could potentially develop into great managers in the future because we want someone who’s not managed to keep themselves in a job at a higher level.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Urgh. So Beale, Taylor etc ruled out. Why not get someone on the up with fresh ideas rather than another Adkins who’s probably past his best? 

Assuming it’s true we’re ruling out those who could potentially develop into great managers in the future because we want someone who’s not managed to keep themselves in a job at a higher level.
    I dont remember if Adkins actually applied for the role or not? - I've got a feeling that we approached him
  • Options
    Scoham said:

So I said to we should get someone who can get us out of the league and who has Champ experience (just my opinion) and he replied with 'Yes, makes sense'.