Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    I reckon that whoever it is, it will be more of the same next season.
    Disregarding my pessimism, I believe that the best man for the job was, and still is, Lee Bowyer.
    Wonder if TS was giving him football advice before he left ? 
    I doubt it. TS will never lead this club to achieve a glorious promotion campaign.
  • Options
    Neil Lennon
    Has great interest in the club as does his mate who’s looking to invest a heap of money into it
    Attended the last four games
    You heard it here first
  • Options
    Neil Lennon
    Has great interest in the club as does his mate who’s looking to invest a heap of money into it
    Attended the last four games
    You heard it here first
    Who’s his mate then?
  • Options
    Kips said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I usually dislike the summer and get bored without the football.
    This summer will be interesting and before you know it we will have the football round again.
    Am I right in thinking the last two managers appointed in order to start a fresh season were Dowie and Peeters?
    Russell Slade - easily forgotten though!
    Yeah!
    Brilliant.
    Russell ‘are you patient Louis?’ Slade.
    He lasted until the November I think.
    He failed to be Russell ‘do well and then jump ship’ Slade with us, because he was unable to do well.
    Don’t be too harsh he signed some real Charlton legends - Novak, Ajose, Foley and Crofts. He also gave me my most memorable Charlton game - 2-0 defeat away at Bury on the first day of the season.
    Evening Roger 
    I thought Miere signed Akose and Novak before Slade arrived. Anyway they were leading scorers in L1 the previous season or near the top of that list.
    And Holmes
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Let’s face it he wants a puppet that he can control. Most managers worth their salt will tell him to do one. We will end up with a yes man 
    That will be Darren Ferguson then. 

It's not Fergie time now, is it ?
  • Options
    How big is this heap of money? 
  • Options
    Must of been a bit of money for Bowyer, he's in to 4/1? I can't see it myself :)
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Must of been a bit of money for Bowyer, he's in to 4/1? I can't see it myself :)
    I wouldnt be overly shocked seeing that Sandgaard said that he hoped to work with Bowyer again one day, shortly after he left us for Birmingham - I have this feeling though that Bowyer didnt like the direction the recruitment structure was going, so decided to walk. Thats my own theory though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd rather Keane than have Bowyer back.

I'd rather Joey Barton and Pardews love child.
  • Options
    Mark warburton is 5/2  now favourite 
  • Options
    chev said:
    Mark warburton is 5/2  now favourite 
    Go and put a tenner on Pep and he will be.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor. A bloke who was an all action grafter as a player, and a football man. 
    He was given time - 4 years - to turn Exeter into a promotion winning team.
    Not half an already wrecked season, with a squad full of someone else’s players and a raft of injuries. 
    See what happens when you give young coaches with potential the chance to build something?
    There’s no point in appointing Taylor. He’s Jackson with blonde hair. 
    What does Thomas want exactly? 

I might be delusional here, but we are Charlton and they are Exeter. They can afford to have a trial and error with an inexperienced manager and float in league 2 as they just aren’t as an attractive as a project as we are. We should be a championship side and shouldn’t be allowing inexperienced managers anywhere near us. Really feels like we’ve become far too happy with mediocrity. I wouldn’t be happy with it taking a manager 4 years to get us out of this league. If we have the budget as advertised then it should be done in one, two at most. Plenty of sides have proven it’s possible in the past and plenty will again
    I think the thing is we have sunk so low. We may well be a biggish club in terms of past history,  stadium etc etc, but we have to face up where we are. On the pitch we have been beaten by Crewe, Accrington, Lincoln etc,etc. not just beaten, but unable to compete with them. 
    Like it or not, we are nowhere near being good enough to challenge for promotion at the moment, let alone being in the championship. 
    It’s a pretty messed up situation and a sorry state of affairs. Sandgaard has to get this decision right and he needs to back the manager to the hilt - anything else and we be pissing around in league 1 for a good few season yet. 

We have all the pressure and expectation of a bigger club in this league without the infrastructure of a bigger club.

A gamble for a young up and coming manager to come in knowing they'll be replacing a genuine club legend and will need to hit the ground running.  Add to that a chairman who expects top 2 and playoffs minimum without necessarily having the freedom of transfer policy and huge budget that may be required to achieve that.

We're not as big a draw as we all like to think with our pro Charlton glasses on and having seen how a bona fide club legend has been dismissed for underachieving but perhaps not as badly to warrant the elbow, added to the absolute public turmoil of recent years it's not a no brainer for up and coming managers looking for a long career.

3 managers in his ownership to date in 2 years is still a relatively high churn even by today's standards.

It's a great job for the man who gets it right with huge potential but also a considerable risk.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Let’s face it he wants a puppet that he can control. Most managers worth their salt will tell him to do one. We will end up with a yes man 
    That will be Darren Ferguson then. 

It's not Fergie time now, is it ?
    Hope not.Really do.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned a woman doing the job and the more I think about it,it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The publicity Sandgaard would get would be something only someone like him could only dream of. Would go down an absolute treat with his American following and maybe even some of them would watch.
    Never been done before and it's a new angle.

Got Sandgaard written all over it!
  • Options
    You can always get a manager, there are hundreds of potential candidates out there, unemployed and looking for work.

The challenge is getting someone prepared to work in the recruitment system that Sandgaard and his footballing expert son are setting up.

Sorry folks, but ain’t no way a top UK manager is having that, not a hope in hell.

The top coaches won’t want to be anywhere near a system where recruitment is controlled by the owner and his son, it’s a got clusterfuck written all over it.

Of course we’ll find someone to take the job eventually, it’ll be someone that agrees to do things the way Saandgaard wants them done.

We have been promoted four times in my life as a supporter, under Lennie, Curbishley, Powell and Bowyer, three of them internally promoted and one a legendary player brought back.

Now we are hoping that a Danish medical supplies salesman, with no footballing knowledge whatsoever and taking no professional advice, is going to successfully pick our next manger to resurrect us from our lowest ebb in fifty years.

Bleak times ahead I fear.
    We're a mid-table league one team, the recruitment policy isn't the reason we're not getting "top UK manager"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor. A bloke who was an all action grafter as a player, and a football man. 
    Not half an already wrecked season, with a squad full of someone else’s players and a raft of injuries. 
    See what happens when you give young coaches with potential the chance to build something?

I might be delusional here, but we are Charlton and they are Exeter. They can afford to have a trial and error with an inexperienced manager and float in league 2 as they just aren’t as an attractive as a project as we are. We should be a championship side and shouldn’t be allowing inexperienced managers anywhere near us. Really feels like we’ve become far too happy with mediocrity. I wouldn’t be happy with it taking a manager 4 years to get us out of this league. If we have the budget as advertised then it should be done in one, two at most. Plenty of sides have proven it’s possible in the past and plenty will again
    I think the thing is we have sunk so low. We may well be a biggish club in terms of past history,  stadium etc etc, but we have to face up where we are. On the pitch we have been beaten by Crewe, Accrington, Lincoln etc,etc. not just beaten, but unable to compete with them. 
    Like it or not, we are nowhere near being good enough to challenge for promotion at the moment, let alone being in the championship. 
    It’s a pretty messed up situation and a sorry state of affairs. Sandgaard has to get this decision right and he needs to back the manager to the hilt - anything else and we be pissing around in league 1 for a good few season yet. 

We have all the pressure and expectation of a bigger club in this league without the infrastructure of a bigger club.

A gamble for a young up and coming manager to come in knowing they'll be replacing a genuine club legend and will need to hit the ground running.  Add to that a chairman who expects top 2 and playoffs minimum without necessarily having the freedom of transfer policy and huge budget that may be required to achieve that.

We're not as big a draw as we all like to think with our pro Charlton glasses on and having seen how a bona fide club legend has been dismissed for underachieving but perhaps not as badly to warrant the elbow, added to the absolute public turmoil of recent years it's not a no brainer for up and coming managers looking for a long career.

3 managers in his ownership to date in 2 years is still a relatively high churn even by today's standards.

It's a great job for the man who gets it right with huge potential but also a considerable risk.
    I think you have to look at it both ways. 

Barnsley haven't got a manager, who knows what will happen with Derby.  I cant see any of the play off teams sacking their manager if they don't win them.

Ipswich, Pompey, Bolton and Accrington aren't going to change manager in the summer.  Oxford might to QPR.

So if your a Bonner or a Duff, even a Taylor, Grey or Edwards are you going to get a bigger club job than us?  Not many jobs about really, at this level.

Not like when us, Ipswich and Pompey were  all looking at the same time.

• Options
    Steve Kean should be a shocker.
    A shocker but cheap.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned a woman doing the job and the more I think about it,it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The publicity Sandgaard would get would be something only someone like him could only dream of. Would go down an absolute treat with his American following and maybe even some of them would watch.

Yeah it was me. Mainly said in jest, but wouldn't shock me 
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:
    Steve Kean should be a shocker.
    A shocker but cheap.
    Not cheap if he is shit though is it.  8 million for staying down plus what ever he pays out to sack him.

Employing the cheap option would be penny wise and pound foolish.

Adkins wasn't cheap.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:

Barnsley haven't got a manager, who knows what will happen with Derby.  I cant see any of the play off teams sacking their manager if they don't win them.

Ipswich, Pompey, Bolton and Accrington aren't going to change manager in the summer.  Oxford might to QPR.

So if your a Bonner or a Duff, even a Taylor, Grey or Edwards are you going to get a bigger club job than us?  Not many jobs about really, at this level.

Yeah fair points although bigger isn't always better.  G Neville took one of the biggest jobs in the world, failed catastrophically and put paid to his management career.  Using M Taylor as an example he may want to spend another season or 2 at Exeter learning his craft at a higher level in a relatively safe and low expectation role and potentially open himself up to bigger opportunities i.e. Championship clubs in a year or so.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    You can always get a manager, there are hundreds of potential candidates out there, unemployed and looking for work.

The challenge is getting someone prepared to work in the recruitment system that Sandgaard and his footballing expert son are setting up.

Sorry folks, but ain’t no way a top UK manager is having that, not a hope in hell.

The top coaches won’t want to be anywhere near a system where recruitment is controlled by the owner and his son, it’s a got clusterfuck written all over it.

Of course we’ll find someone to take the job eventually, it’ll be someone that agrees to do things the way Saandgaard wants them done.

We have been promoted four times in my life as a supporter, under Lennie, Curbishley, Powell and Bowyer, three of them internally promoted and one a legendary player brought back.

Now we are hoping that a Danish medical supplies salesman, with no footballing knowledge whatsoever and taking no professional advice, is going to successfully pick our next manger to resurrect us from our lowest ebb in fifty years.

Bleak times ahead I fear.
    What are your views on an Adkins return?

😬
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:

Yeah fair points although bigger isn't always better.  G Neville took one of the biggest jobs in the world, failed catastrophically and put paid to his management career.  Using M Taylor as an example he may want to spend another season or 2 at Exeter learning his craft at a higher level in a relatively safe and low expectation role and potentially open himself up to bigger opportunities i.e. Championship clubs in a year or so.

Yeah but you also have to factor in the self belief and, verging on, arrogance you need to be a successful manager.  The if someone gets it right at Charlton the place would be rocking and I would be a hero, why can't I be that person.  You won't get that at forest green or Exeter or Cambridge.
  • Options
    Neil Lennon would be strange if for no other reason he’s only been in his current job for two months and is according to the website I looked at under contract until 2024. If his mate as has been suggested wants to plough a pile of money into Charlton you’d assume he’s been in talks with TS for some months. Why would Lennon then take a job in Cyprus? 
  • Options

So what if it was. Two of the best coaches I’ve seen in-person are women. Both were/are involved in the England set-up. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:

Taylor has had four full seasons at Exeter and before that two seasons as under 23 coach. Not sure what substantially more he is going to learn in League 1 and even if he were to, why miss out on the opportunity to move when your stock is at its highest - if Exeter are relegated he isn't guaranteed to keep his job even with their relatively low expectations.