Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor. A bloke who was an all action grafter as a player, and a football man. 
    He was given time - 4 years - to turn Exeter into a promotion winning team.
    Not half an already wrecked season, with a squad full of someone else’s players and a raft of injuries. 
    See what happens when you give young coaches with potential the chance to build something?
    There’s no point in appointing Taylor. He’s Jackson with blonde hair. 
    What does Thomas want exactly? 

I might be delusional here, but we are Charlton and they are Exeter. They can afford to have a trial and error with an inexperienced manager and float in league 2 as they just aren’t as an attractive as a project as we are. We should be a championship side and shouldn’t be allowing inexperienced managers anywhere near us. Really feels like we’ve become far too happy with mediocrity. I wouldn’t be happy with it taking a manager 4 years to get us out of this league. If we have the budget as advertised then it should be done in one, two at most. Plenty of sides have proven it’s possible in the past and plenty will again
    Like we gave Steve Gritt and Alan Curbishley their start in the Championship and time to grow, you mean? Didn’t work out too badly, did it? 
    Let's not pretend giving them the job was some master stroke of tactical planning or foresight.  They were cheap and already there.  As were Lenny and Bowyer.
    I’m not saying it was a master plan
    but it worked spectacularly.
    Like Fergie worked at Utd after starting appallingly. Like Klopp is working at Liverpool after he started slowly. 
    Continuity works whatever level. 

• Options
    You can always get a manager, there are hundreds of potential candidates out there, unemployed and looking for work.

The challenge is getting someone prepared to work in the recruitment system that Sandgaard and his footballing expert son are setting up.

Sorry folks, but ain’t no way a top UK manager is having that, not a hope in hell.

The top coaches won’t want to be anywhere near a system where recruitment is controlled by the owner and his son, it’s a got clusterfuck written all over it.

Of course we’ll find someone to take the job eventually, it’ll be someone that agrees to do things the way Saandgaard wants them done.

We have been promoted four times in my life as a supporter, under Lennie, Curbishley, Powell and Bowyer, three of them internally promoted and one a legendary player brought back.

Now we are hoping that a Danish medical supplies salesman, with no footballing knowledge whatsoever and taking no professional advice, is going to successfully pick our next manger to resurrect us from our lowest ebb in fifty years.

Bleak times ahead I fear.
    We're a mid-table league one team, the recruitment policy isn't the reason we're not getting "top UK manager"
    Yeah, fair enough, should have made it clearer I was referring to the best potential League One managers.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Mrkinski said:
    Steve Kean should be a shocker.
    A shocker but cheap.
    Not cheap if he is shit though is it.  8 million for staying down plus what ever he pays out to sack him.

Employing the cheap option would be penny wise and pound foolish.

Adkins wasn't cheap.
    That’s my point. Getting a Poundland manager will be more costly in the long run, especially as the Valley will be emptier than this season if the appointment is uninspiring.
  • Options
    Neil Lennon would be strange if for no other reason he’s only been in his current job for two months and is according to the website I looked at under contract until 2024. If his mate as has been suggested wants to plough a pile of money into Charlton you’d assume he’s been in talks with TS for some months. Why would Lennon then take a job in Cyprus? 
    Lennon would be an awful appointment, way past his best as a manager.

We need someone on the way up.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Matt Taylor. A bloke who was an all action grafter as a player, and a football man. 
    Not half an already wrecked season, with a squad full of someone else’s players and a raft of injuries. 
    See what happens when you give young coaches with potential the chance to build something?

I might be delusional here, but we are Charlton and they are Exeter. They can afford to have a trial and error with an inexperienced manager and float in league 2 as they just aren’t as an attractive as a project as we are. We should be a championship side and shouldn’t be allowing inexperienced managers anywhere near us. Really feels like we’ve become far too happy with mediocrity. I wouldn’t be happy with it taking a manager 4 years to get us out of this league. If we have the budget as advertised then it should be done in one, two at most. Plenty of sides have proven it’s possible in the past and plenty will again
    Like we gave Steve Gritt and Alan Curbishley their start in the Championship and time to grow, you mean? Didn’t work out too badly, did it? 
    Let's not pretend giving them the job was some master stroke of tactical planning or foresight.  They were cheap and already there.  As were Lenny and Bowyer.
    Like Fergie worked at Utd after starting appallingly. Like Klopp is working at Liverpool after he started slowly. 

Could you afford say 3 or 4 seasons at 8-10 million a pop tondo it though.  That's the issue.

I would have no problem giving someone 3 or 4 years to the championship to build.
  • Options
    Think pep could be available now.....
  • Options
    Someone pointed out Adkins was appointed two days after Bowyer left... so we can expect an appointment tomorrow, right?...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    Scoham said:

And on his tactics in their 1-0 win over Blackburn (3-4-1-2 with a winger at wing back)

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/mark-warburton/
    Oh dear, now you've done it...
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

Continuity works in football. It breeds success because the bloke in charge gets to stamp his style on the whole club. 
    Yeah it worked out that time, stars aligned, it happens. We will never know but I am fairly confident Jackson wouldn’t have had that kind of influence, I am sure time will tell cause based on what people rate him he will be managing a championship side or getting promoted from this league in no time. 

Taylor would be a decent appointment out of the load mentioned, one of them ones where he doesn’t need to find his style as he’s experienced as it is and worked with one of our key players. The only ex player I’d be interested in other than Curbs of course. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone mentioned a woman doing the job and the more I think about it,it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

The publicity Sandgaard would get would be something only someone like him could only dream of. Would go down an absolute treat with his American following and maybe even some of them would watch.
    Never been done before and it's a new angle.

Got Sandgaard written all over it!
    Yeah it was me. Mainly said in jest, but wouldn't shock me 
    Saw the women's game on Sunday. Charlton did a Golfie. Heads didn't drop. If Karen Hills took the mens team it would cause uproar but is there a good reason why she couldn't? Hypothetical of course 
  • Options
    I think it will be Warburton.

Rumours that he would be leaving QPR started early April and was looking for a new project where he could potentially achieve success - Charlton? We have since recruited Dangerfield and De Souza, both of whom it seems worked with Warburton at Brentford- indeed, the club announcement of Da Souza highlighted this - coincidence? 

If it is Warburton, presumably it wouldn’t be announced until after QPR have finished their season- we will see… Interesting times!
  • Options
    Got a feeling it is going to be Jimmy floyd. 
    That would be utterly soul destroying. If he, Neil Lennon or Lee Johnson got the job I genuinely wouldn’t go to a game. 
    Me neither, if that ginger twat Lennon gets the job I will be done with The Valley 
  • Options
    Neil Lennon or Taylor for me.
  • Options
    SweetCAFC said:

Rumours that he would be leaving QPR started early April and was looking for a new project where he could potentially achieve success - Charlton? We have since recruited Dangerfield and De Souza, both of whom it seems worked with Warburton at Brentford- indeed, the club announcement of Da Souza highlighted this - coincidence? 

If it is Warburton, presumably it wouldn’t be announced until after QPR have finished their season- we will see… Interesting times!
    I think you might be right. Thomas has previously salivated at the Brentford model too and as you say, has already installed Dangerfield and De Souza. 

Warburton feels like Adkins II 
  • Options
    Would take Warburton all day long. Much better than some of the names mentioned.
  • Options
    Just like when we appointed Luzon and co, I won't get excited whoever it is as I doubt they'll be here by the end of the season.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    SweetCAFC said:

I think you might be right. Thomas has previously salivated at the Brentford model too and as you say, has already installed Dangerfield and De Souza. 

I thought that though Warburton left because he didn’t agree with the route Brentford were taking.

He’s taken QPR to mid table this season, I assume that’s a decent season rather than underachieving in terms of their budget?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    SweetCAFC said:

What does Warburton have in common with Adkins?  
  • Options
    With what is realistically available to us at the moment and who we can possibly attract. Warburton would be, in my opinion the best we can hope for and a appointment I would be excited about.
    In fairness, I’d be excited about any who isn’t JFH or Lee Johnson 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I’m expecting the new appointment to be someone we’re *not* expecting. I’ll bet it’s someone who hadn’t even been mentioned here. 
    Would rather a safe pair of hands, I think.
    Quite concerned that our reputation as a basket case club isn’t going to help recruiting players or manager. Oh for a couple of good, solid seasons, one of which ends in a promotion. 
  • Options
    Got a feeling it is going to be Jimmy floyd. 
    That would be utterly soul destroying. If he, Neil Lennon or Lee Johnson got the job I genuinely wouldn’t go to a game. 
    I would ask for my season ticket  money back on principle if it were Lennon or Johnson. Jimmy , I would maybe or maybe not.
    Didn't you say that last season as well?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    SweetCAFC said:

What does Warburton have in common with Adkins?  
    Like Adkins in that he’s a bloke who has some success on his CV, albeit way back when, and in his 50s, isn’t the most dynamic choice - unlike a Russell Martin or Liam Manning type who play a progressive, modern style. 
    I also doubt he’d accept Thomas’ son as transfer guru, if this quote is accurate: 

‘A week later, a club statement confirmed that Warburton, assistant David Weir and Sporting Director Frank McParland would be leaving Brentford at the end of the 2014–15 season, citing the trio's differences with owner Matthew Benham's anticipated remodelling of the club's management structure,[48] which would include recruitment being based on mathematical modelling and statistics allied to normal scouting methods.[49] The Hounslow Chronicle later dubbed the saga "Warburtongate".[50] Ahead of Brentford's playoff campaign in May 2015, Warburton revealed the truth about his departure, saying "I think the manager has to pick the team and have the final say, in my opinion.’

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

Continuity only works if the person is right

To take an extreme example, should we have given Karel Fraeye 5 years in the job?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

Continuity only works if the person is right

To take an extreme example, should we have given Karel Fraeye 5 years in the job?
    Yes obviously it doesn’t work if you put a park manager in change of a professional club. 
    You’re being silly now