Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• For added context, and, because "hUr DuR wHy YOu hAtE MaRTiN tHoUGh" (because apparently that's the reason) a look at the job skills requirement for an U23 performance analyst at Man city (yes I know city are at the elite end of the footballing spectrum

And a job description for a recruitment analyst at spurs:

https://www.hub-soccer.com/2020/09/07/recruitment-analyst-tottenham-hotspur/

Just the sort of skills the manager of the recruitment team would want in a member of staff.
  • @The Red Robin In what world do you need a phd to be a data anaylst? 

You don't need a phd to be able to know sql/excel/python/r ect.
  • Its not over , till the sausage dog sings......

The truth and nothing but the truth:
    Is it Ray the sausage dog v Thomas Sandgaard; Cawley going with the big  Sausage Man?

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, and here I'm stuck in the middle with you.

Announce Garner so we can all settle down.
    Big Ronnie Dangerfield will sort out the minutiae and we can move on to players recruitment when ever they can put pen to paper.

• edited May 2022
    @The Red Robin In what world do you need a phd to be a data anaylst? 

You don't need a phd to be able to know sql/excel/python/r ect.
    In the clinical world

edit: I’m not saying that’s essential (although it is for some roles we have), but that’s the level of data analyst that some organisations employ.
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:
    I'd welcome Powell back as a coach Director of football.  It would also be MASSIVE kudos points for TS

Why would he leave Spurs and England where he’s is in a comfortable position! 
    Is he as comfortable as he would be being a deity at Charlton
    The "deity" who is the subject of a huge thread on here called "Powell's football is terrible"? That deity? If this forum had a decent search engine and I had nothing better to do, I'd dig it out, and find your own contributions to it...
    Which is why I SPECIFICALLY said as director of Football.  Not manager.

There can be no doubt whatsoever about his contacts, networking and people skills and they would all be of use in a D of F role.

save your energy and time trying to prove something irrelevant to this particular situation.
    Ok fair enough.  I didnt pick that up, sorry for that.

Unfortunately since we never had a DoF, I’d expect that when the results fail to come through as expected, people will turn on him. Recall how people started having a pop at Mervyn Day when we were in the FAPL, without any clear idea of what he might have done wrong. My main point is that fans are fickle and short-term, and unfortunately social media amplifies the effect, so that the victims hear the words more than in the past. SCP wont have forgotten that thread, so I think he’d piss himself at the idea that coming back as DoF would lead to “deity”.
  • What was Andrew Mills’ role? Probably the closest we’ve had to a DoF. Gallen kind of is or has been I suppose.
  • Looks as though MS is the new Morgan Fox
  • Sponsored links:

• What was Andrew Mills’ role? Probably the closest we’ve had to a DoF. Gallen kind of is or has been I suppose.
    The reason that Dowie was doomed before he started........
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What was Andrew Mills’ role? Probably the closest we’ve had to a DoF. Gallen kind of is or has been I suppose.
    The reason that Dowie was doomed before he started........
    Agreed. He also wasn’t allowed to bring any coaching staff with him. Mark Robson and Mark Kinsella forced on him wasn’t it?
  • edited May 2022
    Bizarre as it may seem, I actually agree with most of this!!🤣 however Stanley wouldn’t have been able to rely on Google back then!!, so maybe it was an easier job.all joking apart the human ability to make good decisions aswell as bad shouldn’t be underestimated, maybe the reliance on computers can be a hindrance .🤷🏻‍♂️🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    Belv said:
    Scoham said:
    Look who the text message is from lol
    And now confirmed by the man on twitter that it was from AM.

Daniel Sturridge got banned by the FA back in 2019 as per below 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49031533
    Bloke who has likely made something up confirms it's not made up.  That's me convinced.
  • Jac_52 said:
    I haven't got an issue with the owner suggesting the style of football he wants to see us play and promising to back the manager in getting the players needed to achieve it. It becomes more worrying when it gets like Roland explaining football tactics to a manager who is an ex England international. If Sandgaard thinks he has discovered the secret of success in terms of a playing style it is worrying in the extreme. There are many different paths but his backing is needed. With limited resources the approach has to always be a pragmatic one based on what you have and how your best players play.

The problem is, I don't know which of these is correct and I doubt many of us do. There are lingering doubts about Sandgaard based on genuine clues. I would say not yet definitive but that in itself is worrying. And we should be open to this possibility.

I agree with this. The turning point for me would be if Sandgaard is issuing Roland-esque emails or trying to dictate how training sessions should go.

Currently I have no reason to think that this is the case and if anyone knows differently then they should be making it public very very quickly. Until then we have to accept that there is nothing wrong with an owner wanting a certain type of football and finding the staff to implement it.
     MS certainly tried at least once last season.
    This needs context.

If he was at the training ground and saw a lacklustre group of players who were not putting a shift in then he’s more than got a right to ask for more surely?

If he was there to effectively ask JJ to try something different in training then that wouldn’t be on.

Context please.
    Is he right to question training at all if he’s just turned up without a clue what the coaches and staff have asked the players to do that day or how close to a previous or upcoming game it is? Martin Sandgaard is nowhere near qualified to even be near a first team coaching session, let alone questioning experienced and qualified coaches. 
    Or he might simply have been there learning and seeing more of what goes on at professional football club on a day to day basis.
    Getting a flavour of what goes on at the training ground the vibe, dressing room banter maybe, just the feel of the place.
    If I was in his position I would most certainly want to know more about everything that goes on at the club (within reason), including attending some training sessions and the day to day running of Sparrows Lane.
    Just another way of looking at it, which excludes any conspiracy theories.
    He has every right to be there as long as he doesn’t interfere, which I can only assume he hasn’t. 
    The entire point and discussion is that that’s exactly what he tried to do. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    SSoundAsa£ said:
    Cafc43v3r said:w

When Airman ‘likes’ that post it scares me , we’ve got another nutbag , let’s hope he’s more useful than that goalkeeping coach  from Swindon’s nutsack .
    We have "known" that Martin is in charge of recruitment and many of us have raised it as a massive red flag.  The proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating (happy with that @Henry Irving) but it is a big concern.

With the back ground of that there is little point employing a "manager", be it Adkins, Taylor, Warburton or Duff.

Whilst I don't buy into the buzz word bingo that is a young, hungry, progressive coach, thatnis exactly what we need, because of the way the club is run.
    Mmmmmm……"I have my doubts that Martin is actually “in charge” of recruitment.
    On paper it may read that way but I don’t buy that.
    Why does Thomas keep saying he is?  
    Well…..I have only seen/heard him described as head of player recruitment analytics, which is a very different thing.
    Do you know better?

• Cafc43v3r said:
    SSoundAsa£ said:
    Cafc43v3r said:w

When Airman ‘likes’ that post it scares me , we’ve got another nutbag , let’s hope he’s more useful than that goalkeeping coach  from Swindon’s nutsack .
    We have "known" that Martin is in charge of recruitment and many of us have raised it as a massive red flag.  The proof of the pudding will of course be in the eating (happy with that @Henry Irving) but it is a big concern.

With the back ground of that there is little point employing a "manager", be it Adkins, Taylor, Warburton or Duff.

Whilst I don't buy into the buzz word bingo that is a young, hungry, progressive coach, thatnis exactly what we need, because of the way the club is run.
    Mmmmmm……"I have my doubts that Martin is actually “in charge” of recruitment.
    On paper it may read that way but I don’t buy that.
    Why does Thomas keep saying he is?  
    Well…..I have only seen/heard him described as head of player recruitment analytics, which is a very different thing.
    Do you know better?

Sandgaard has pretty much said so, yes. He's the head of the analytics, then does the scouting with Steve Gallen (who is the primary negotiator). If Martin isn't in charge of the recruitment, who is? 
  • Martin Sandgaard just isn't qualified to work for Charlton Athletic and I am baffled that anybody would think he is. 

For what it's worth a mate of mine works for the club and says Martin is actually a really nice guy but gives the vibe of a kid on work experience and is way out of his depth. 
    But that’s more or less exactly what it is. He’s dad owns the club and Martin has shares. Unless Sandgaard decides to cash out it’s quite possible MS will become the owner. He might anyway. He’s learning the business and good on him for it. 
    I think you've changed your argument here though. I don't think anybody would have an issue with Martin working around the place and "learning the business". But you've questioned others claiming he doesn't have the expertise for the role he is undertaking, but he doesn't does he. For what it's worth, I don't think that doesn't mean he won't do a good job, just that he's not qualified for it. I think this is another example of double standards, Roland would be crucified for putting his son in a position like this. Martin isn't just doing a little bit of analyst work is he, he's got a huge role to play in all our recruitment. 
    You are right, Roland would have got a lot of shit for the same thing. But there are huge differences between Sandgaard and Roland that mean they shouldn't be treated the same.

When you look at what Charlton means to them, they are completely different animals. Sandgaard actually cares about charlton, both in terms of it being his passion and how much of his wealth he's tied up in it.
    To Roland we were just another network link, which he couldn't be bothered to watch and financially it was pocket money to him.

Intention is key when you judge anyone's actions.