Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Valley11 said:
    200 or so new posts…any word on Garner or a new manager? 

He´s either resigned from Swindon or he hasnt and agreed terms with us or not. 
  • Martin Sandgaard just isn't qualified to work for Charlton Athletic and I am baffled that anybody would think he is. 

For what it's worth a mate of mine works for the club and says Martin is actually a really nice guy but gives the vibe of a kid on work experience and is way out of his depth. 
    But that’s more or less exactly what it is. He’s dad owns the club and Martin has shares. Unless Sandgaard decides to cash out it’s quite possible MS will become the owner. He might anyway. He’s learning the business and good on him for it. 
    I think you've changed your argument here though. I don't think anybody would have an issue with Martin working around the place and "learning the business". But you've questioned others claiming he doesn't have the expertise for the role he is undertaking, but he doesn't does he. For what it's worth, I don't think that doesn't mean he won't do a good job, just that he's not qualified for it. I think this is another example of double standards, Roland would be crucified for putting his son in a position like this. Martin isn't just doing a little bit of analyst work is he, he's got a huge role to play in all our recruitment. 
    What do we expect when dad owns the club. Ok son, go and learn the business and get to grips with everything because one day if you want it it’ll be all yours. When you arrive we’ll call you the milk monitor. Don’t get under anyones feet. Or. Ok son, go and learn the business and get to grips with everything because one day if you want it it’ll be all yours. We’ll give you a nice title to frighten a few people and I want you to ruffle a few feathers because this club has been drifting along for too long and needs a kick up the ass and we need to find out exactly who does what, why and why isn’t he doing it better. 
    All fair enough, but if Sandgaard wants that from Martin, why give him a completely different role then? If Sandgaard felt the club was "drifting for too long" and needed a "kick up the ass", to find out what was doing what etc, why put him in charge of player recruitment? Right or wrong, whether he's successful or not, Martin is here so the Sandgaards can control who we sign and the way we play (I'm not saying he is controlling training/tactics either btw).
  • Jac_52 said:
    For added context, and, because "hUr DuR wHy YOu hAtE MaRTiN tHoUGh" (because apparently that's the reason) a look at the job skills requirement for an U23 performance analyst at Man city (yes I know city are at the elite end of the footballing spectrum

And a job description for a recruitment analyst at spurs:

https://www.hub-soccer.com/2020/09/07/recruitment-analyst-tottenham-hotspur/

Good to confirm that absolutely anyone with half a brain could do these jobs with minimal training.
    Off you go then 

Can I take it that this witless remark indicates that you think otherwise?
  • Valley11 said:
    200 or so new posts…any word on Garner or a new manager? 
    Wrong thread - this one is officially off track.
  • Jac_52 said:
    For added context, and, because "hUr DuR wHy YOu hAtE MaRTiN tHoUGh" (because apparently that's the reason) a look at the job skills requirement for an U23 performance analyst at Man city (yes I know city are at the elite end of the footballing spectrum

Good to confirm that absolutely anyone with half a brain could do these jobs with minimal training.
    Just to add. Over the last 12 years, I've worked at 2x Premier league clubs and can confirm that this is just wrong. 
  • I thought this topic was done to death a few months ago. TS stated somewhere that MS identified the players, SG negotiated the transfer fee and contracts and TS signed it off
    Very true, but at that point we weren't aware MS was taking the training sessions as well!
  • edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Back to Garner, should have pointed out last night Louis said nothing is imminent so that suggests an announcement next week is more likely.
  • What is the general consensus on here that the Powell rumour is true?
  • If MS is involved in everything and is interfering then I’m disappointed Jackson didn’t have the backbone to say something? Perhaps he did and is gone as a consequence?
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    What is the general consensus on here that the Powell rumour is true?
    its not true
  • Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Off you go then 

You’ve got at least half a brain so I’m sure you can work it out. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Just to add. Over the last 12 years, I've worked at 2x Premier league clubs and can confirm that this is just wrong. 
    So you need a whole brain and/or maximal training? I fail to see how from the job descriptions personally.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:

So you need a whole brain and/or maximal training? I fail to see how from the job descriptions personally.
    Go ahead and apply then
  • Why the big wait for Sandgaard to get over here to announce Garners appointment?
    Why not just announce him on Zoom??

He'll probably sack him on it in 6 months time.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Off you go then 

I wanted to give you the opportunity to confirm that you think a job that lists Microsoft Office and barely much else of note as essential skills somehow requires years and years of study and expertise.
  • Why the big wait for Sandgaard to get over here to announce Garners appointment?
    Why not just announce him on Zoom??

He'll probably sack him on it in 6 months time.
    Maybe that’s not the cause of the delay?
  • Jac_52 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Go ahead and apply then
    Please cease your incessant and nonsensical demands that I apply for this job.
  • cafc999 said:
    Looks as though MS is the new Morgan Fox
    That’s not fair, I hear Morgan Fox is an excellent analyst
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Off you go then 

I wanted to give you the opportunity to confirm that you think a job that lists Microsoft Office and barely much else of note as essential skills somehow requires years and years of study and expertise.
    It also says you need a relevant degree and to be at least working towards your UEFA B licence.........

Which require years and years of study and experience.
    Don’t worry, he’s got this. Easy money.
  • edited May 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:

I mean, if I was interviewing for this position and promised to use my "whole brain" to fulfil the role, I wouldn't hold my breath on a callback.
    As I say, I have experience/worked with people in these roles first-hand for a number of years and can confirm that you were not correct in your original post. 
    Not going to comment anymore as it's not fair on the thread. 
  • mart77 said:
    The ‘flushing out a leak’ theory is interesting that’s suggested in above posts. I think stuff will always leak from all clubs but I bet it still irritates TS who seems to like having the attention.

I guess we’ll find out next week when TS appears. 
    TS next week...."The new manager is....*drumroll*.....

Martin Sandgaard!"

Fixed it for you
  • FAVADDICK said:
    So who's going to carry on supporting thomas then 🤬🤬🤬
    I'll carry on supporting Charlton.
    Loyal supporter etc.
    Lol, I hadn’t realised supporting Charlton was an “option”, rather an accident of birth that you carry with you to the bitter end!  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Off you go then 

It also says you need a relevant degree and to be at least working towards your UEFA B licence.........

And you really think not having those things will prevent someone being able to do the role as it is described there in reality? That somehow not having those things makes you magically incapable of performing what sounds like a very basic role with little that can't be picked up within a week or so of doing it?
  • edited May 2022
    Chris Powell has never had it so good.
    He works for England and Spurs without the pressure of picking the team. Does he look like an idiot to give that up ?  It's a non story but fills some space while we contemplate reasons why the Charlton Managers job comes with so much baggage. 

With JJ gone who is the conduit between the players and the manager or the owner. For 12 years it was Jackson and even as manager he had their backs. Until he realised that the quality was ephermal and he struggled as he needed to make distance from mate to gaffer. TBF JJ did drop players that had backed him. 

Done deal ? Wouldn't be the first time that an experienced journalist had a false start with that claim. 

• edited May 2022

Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Off you go then 

And you really think not having those things will prevent someone being able to do the role as it is described there in reality? That somehow not having those things makes you magically incapable of performing what sounds like a very basic role with little that can't be picked up within a week or so of doing it?
    No it just means you won’t get the job no biggie.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Jac_52 said:

I mean, if I was interviewing for this position and promised to use my "whole brain" to fulfil the role, I wouldn't hold my breath on a callback.
    As I say, I have experience/worked with people in these roles first-hand for a number of years and can confirm that you were not correct in your original post. 
    Not going to comment anymore as it's not fair on the thread. 

Why would you even think that is something anyone would say in a job interview and what point are you trying to illustrate?

It's not fair on the thread for you to not actually explain why it is you need to be a polymath to do basic data analysis for a football club.