Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn’t double up with angst if it turns out to be Jason Euell.
    There’d be a meltdown on every Charlton forum and throughout social media
    I still think he is the insurance policy.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said: 
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    Has to be by default really, it’s not going to be Jon De Souza or Glyn Shimell.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    swordfish said:
    They say a watched pot never boils. The Swindon owner says he can't update on Garner due to legal disclosure arrangements between Clubs, or some such goobledygook, so nothing to see here!

Time to chill out, enjoy the sunshine and treat yourselves to a cream soda fellow lifers. I think I'll return to the murky depths and do some bottom feeding 🙂

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/20182685.clem-morfuni-swindon-cannot-comment-speculation-amid-ben-garner-exit-reports/
    Well that confirms there is something, else there is no legal reason why he can't say something.
    Unless there’s another club after Garner of course…
  • Options
    May I suggest, it is a bank holiday weekend, as we all know nothing will happen until Monday at the latest...maybe!!.
    Might be an idea @AFKABartram if we close this thread till then, or earlier if anything ACTUALLY HAPPENS.. :)..if for nothing else, to save any sanity we all have left going round and round, and swaying off topic on occasion..do I need to duck..only a suggestion.. B)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    A coach/Manager goes for an interview at Cafc AFTER the Richard Cawley story broke about Ben Garner. Unless the applicant was oblivious to the story, how would that affect your performance when you are selling your plans and ideas if you were reading it was a done deal already bar crossing the T's and dotting the i's. 🤔
  • Options
    May I suggest, it is a bank holiday weekend, as we all know nothing will happen until Monday at the latest...maybe!!.
    Might be an idea @AFKABartram if we close this thread till then, or earlier if anything ACTUALLY HAPPENS.. :)..if for nothing else, to save any sanity we all have left going round and round, and swaying off topic on occasion..do I need to duck..only a suggestion.. B)
    C'mon guys, AFKA in Lidl getting some more bunting for Chateau AFKA. 

;)

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    swordfish said:
    They say a watched pot never boils. The Swindon owner says he can't update on Garner due to legal disclosure arrangements between Clubs, or some such goobledygook, so nothing to see here!

Time to chill out, enjoy the sunshine and treat yourselves to a cream soda fellow lifers. I think I'll return to the murky depths and do some bottom feeding 🙂

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/20182685.clem-morfuni-swindon-cannot-comment-speculation-amid-ben-garner-exit-reports/
    Well that confirms there is something, else there is no legal reason why he can't say something.
    You could still flat out deny any Charlton link at all if there was no Charlton link.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    swordfish said:

You could still flat out deny any Charlton link at all if there was no Charlton link.
    Maybe Garner’s talking to us and another club?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    swordfish said:

Maybe Garner’s talking to us and another club?
    Of course but it almost 100% confirms there is something to the story.  That certainly doesn't mean it's a done deal though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Would love to know why certain people on here dont criticise anything sandgaard does, what has he done that is so amazing In your eyes ??
    Kept us afloat? 
    Built the aqueduct 
  • Options
    I hope it’s a load of old tosh, so don’t shoot the messenger, but my son reckons he’s heard Chef Wednesday are after Stockley 🙄
  • Options
    Can’t wait for the Sandgaard EP! They will be touring, but won’t be releasing details until the very last minute, although I hear it will be really cheap.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    I hope it’s a load of old tosh, so don’t shoot the messenger, but my son reckons he’s heard Chef Wednesday are after Stockley 🙄
    Thanks Colin ;)

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93897/summer-2022-transfer-rumours#latest
  • Options
    I doubt a sale would be sanctioned by TS until he has a manager in place. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    If none of the potential new managers are prepared to accept the conditions set out by Sandgaard then it will go to Euell. 

Hopefully it won't happen. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    swordfish said:
    RedRobin said:
    A couple of posters on ITTV seem to think Chris Powell was interviewed recently. Could it be?? I’m not sure he’d give up what he has with Spurs and England unless he’s desperate to get back into management. 
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this. 

I firmly believe that we dont yet have a manager because no young up & coming manager is prepared to join knowing that they have no say in player recruitment & that their contract will be based on performances from a team not of their choosing. 

Not only have we been turned down by Beale it wouldn't surprise me if it's been a NO from Taylor too. And we were told the other day that Garner ain't too happy with the contract either. 
    Unfortunately it’s the perfect storm and Thomas is already getting himself a reputation around football circles.

There are plenty of clubs in the pyramid that now handle their recruitment independently of the manager. It’s the ‘head coach’ model that traditionalists don’t like but can absolutely be successful if done right.

I don’t think that’s the reason we are still waiting for an announcement on a new manager.

I tend to believe that it comes from the supposed performance related break clause that Thomas apparently insists on including. That, together with having little to no input on the players signed, would be a deal breaker for many managers and head coaches alike.

Add in the fact that such a clause was used to dispose of the previous bloke after he guided the club from 23rd to 13th and I can see why anyone would be hesitant to take the job.
    The performance clause only determined the scale of his pay off - Sacked part way through an 18 month contract I believe. Is that so unusual?

Some posters are assuming interviewees have turned us down, but Beale opted to join a Championship club and Garner, who's used to being in the hot seat and might have interviewed better, has been offered it, so we're reliably informed. He hasn't turned us down yet has he? 

Others might not have been offered it or no decision on them has been made yet. We may never find out.
    I don't want to labour this ... and I'll defer to your superior knowledge here (and @Airman Brown and others seem equally confident), but there's something not quite right here.

How do you word a contract to say ... OK, in the event that you need to be sacked, here's the sliding scale of compensation based on (eg) final League position.

What's the trigger for getting sacked?  Final league position?

In which case, the performance-related aspect (final league position?) is a lot more significant than just the payout.

We finished 13th.  I can't imagine the original 18-month contract reflected that as being acceptable.
    Except we were in the relegation zone when Jackson took over. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Amazed how this is dragging on. We're a L1 club that seems paralyzed at present - losing faith in TS.
    This. After all the hoo haa about us starting fast this summer and learning the lessons, we have failed at the first hurdle. 
    It doesn't take a competent owner 4 weeks to appoint a new manager in the off season. 
    Blackburn, Burnley and Barnsley haven't got one yet have they?  QPR only announced theirs yesterday.

Watford moved quickly but they are very well practiced.

Maybe they are being announced in reverse alphabetical order and we are next 😉 
    All of the above season finished after ours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Amazed how this is dragging on. We're a L1 club that seems paralyzed at present - losing faith in TS.
    This. After all the hoo haa about us starting fast this summer and learning the lessons, we have failed at the first hurdle. 
    It doesn't take a competent owner 4 weeks to appoint a new manager in the off season. 
    Blackburn, Burnley and Barnsley haven't got one yet have they?  QPR only announced theirs yesterday.

Watford moved quickly but they are very well practiced.

Maybe they are being announced in reverse alphabetical order and we are next 😉 
    All of the above season finished after ours.
    And knew they didn't have a manager before us, none of them sacked their manager after the season ended did they. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    If none of the potential new managers are prepared to accept the conditions set out by Sandgaard then it will go to Euell. 

But would Euell accept the T&Cs on offer?
    If he is seeking a route into management, he may be better off with a first appointment in a lower league, which arguably, might have been a better course of action for Jackson. 
    Personally I think Charlton is too far down in the 'too difficult' box for a rookie manager to be successful for the many reasons posted over CL.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

But would Euell accept the T&Cs on offer?
    If he is seeking a route into management, he may be better off with a first appointment in a lower league, which arguably, might have been a better course of action for Jackson. 
    Personally I think Charlton is too far down in the 'too difficult' box for a rookie manager to be successful for the many reasons posted over CL.
    we are lower league. I hope he does not appoint from within, but it feels like that is the way it is going.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    The Stockley rumour is from one of those shit Facebook pages where they suggest what could happen.

”Sheff Wed failed to get him last year but might try again”

people read it and spread it as though it’s gospel.  Already seen 3 other people with varying levels of certainty saying “it’s possible” or “it’s happening” so how long before we see “he was rubbish anyway - bring back Bonne”

all a load of poppycock
    Bit more than that.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consider-move-for-big-striker-as-charlton-athletic-star-re-joins-wanted-list-3717772

SLP have even reported it, though not under Cawley’s name.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-weighing-up-fresh-attempt-to-sign-charlton-striker-jayden-stockley/
    If we sell our top scorer to a promotion rival then this forum will explode.
  • Options
    So is it the case that we're still manager-less because of the terms being offered?

Genuine question as not seen it come from any reliable sources, but seen it mentioned on here a couple of times 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    The Stockley rumour is from one of those shit Facebook pages where they suggest what could happen.

”Sheff Wed failed to get him last year but might try again”

people read it and spread it as though it’s gospel.  Already seen 3 other people with varying levels of certainty saying “it’s possible” or “it’s happening” so how long before we see “he was rubbish anyway - bring back Bonne”

all a load of poppycock
    Bit more than that.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consider-move-for-big-striker-as-charlton-athletic-star-re-joins-wanted-list-3717772

SLP have even reported it, though not under Cawley’s name.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-weighing-up-fresh-attempt-to-sign-charlton-striker-jayden-stockley/
    If we sell our top scorer to a promotion rival then this forum will explode.
    Strangely, most on here think we can do better than Stockley!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    So is it the case that we're still manager-less because of the terms being offered?

Genuine question as not seen it come from any reliable sources, but seen it mentioned on here a couple of times 
    Seems like it mate.
    Someone on here raised it as a possibility, some people read the post, repeated it as fact  so now it must be true 🙄🙄