Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    CafcWest said:
    RedRobin said:
    A couple of posters on ITTV seem to think Chris Powell was interviewed recently. Could it be?? I’m not sure he’d give up what he has with Spurs and England unless he’s desperate to get back into management. 
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this. 

I firmly believe that we dont yet have a manager because no young up & coming manager is prepared to join knowing that they have no say in player recruitment & that their contract will be based on performances from a team not of their choosing. 

Not only have we been turned down by Beale it wouldn't surprise me if it's been a NO from Taylor too. And we were told the other day that Garner ain't too happy with the contract either. 
    Really not sure it's fair to compare TS to RD.  TS seems to have genuine interest in the club and only wants the best for it.  He has also ploughed millions of his own $$ into the club.  I would say as the owner he has a right to set goals and objectives for the club and define a strategy to achieve it (like any good owner/CEO/chairaman).  However the most important thing is to find the right man/team to implement the strategy - and in our case that is the manager's job - it will be the manager that makes it happen.  This must then be backed up by the right resources (players, coaches, medical, etc...the list goes on).  I think TS is getting there slowly on this (it's not a 5 minute job).  We need to be patient.
    How low will we sink before he slowly gets there because it doesn't look to me that he's getting anywhere with finding a head coach or manager. 

• Options
    Amazed how this is dragging on. We're a L1 club that seems paralyzed at present - losing faith in TS.
  • Options
    Judging by the amount of full and part time scouts, ex players and coaches that are at every U18'S, U23' and 1st team games up and down the land I'm not sure clubs have the time anymore to watch a player so many times without losing out especially if they are decent. By the time the window opens or contacts have run out, a club ahead of the game in recruitment should be on it and not procrastinate as you will miss out.

The pecking order as related by Cafc43 was spot on back in the day. 
    I don't know how other clubs do it, but I think I worked out before that since Jackson got the job (and it would have been the same for anyone else)  the most league 1 or 2 games he could have physically gone and watched was 10.  That doesn't factor in stuff like one might be in Exeter when we played in Morecambe the night before.

Being ahead is the key isn't it.  We shouldn't be waiting for windows to open or contracts to run out.  Of course sometimes someone becomes available that you didn't expect but by and large the number of available, potential first team players is actually quite a small pool.

Of course that doesn't factor in post 18 academy recruitment etc but we have hardly set the world on fire with that either.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    swordfish said:
    RedRobin said:
    A couple of posters on ITTV seem to think Chris Powell was interviewed recently. Could it be?? I’m not sure he’d give up what he has with Spurs and England unless he’s desperate to get back into management. 
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this. 

I firmly believe that we dont yet have a manager because no young up & coming manager is prepared to join knowing that they have no say in player recruitment & that their contract will be based on performances from a team not of their choosing. 

Not only have we been turned down by Beale it wouldn't surprise me if it's been a NO from Taylor too. And we were told the other day that Garner ain't too happy with the contract either. 
    Unfortunately it’s the perfect storm and Thomas is already getting himself a reputation around football circles.

There are plenty of clubs in the pyramid that now handle their recruitment independently of the manager. It’s the ‘head coach’ model that traditionalists don’t like but can absolutely be successful if done right.

I don’t think that’s the reason we are still waiting for an announcement on a new manager.

I tend to believe that it comes from the supposed performance related break clause that Thomas apparently insists on including. That, together with having little to no input on the players signed, would be a deal breaker for many managers and head coaches alike.

Add in the fact that such a clause was used to dispose of the previous bloke after he guided the club from 23rd to 13th and I can see why anyone would be hesitant to take the job.
    The performance clause only determined the scale of his pay off - Sacked part way through an 18 month contract I believe. Is that so unusual?

Some posters are assuming interviewees have turned us down, but Beale opted to join a Championship club and Garner, who's used to being in the hot seat and might have interviewed better, has been offered it, so we're reliably informed. He hasn't turned us down yet has he? 

Others might not have been offered it or no decision on them has been made yet. We may never find out.
    Did the contract have a corresponding clause that increased compensation to the Club if he was more successful as well?

Superclive is suggesting the clauses were hidden. Is this true?
    If there were clauses hidden Jackson needs to sue his agent, or who ever checked it for him.
  • Options
    I assume nothing will happen on a bank holiday or weekend, we need this sorted next week so we can move on to getting signings in.

It doesn’t seem unlikely that one or two turned the job down, and/or negotiations have taken a long time.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Amazed how this is dragging on. We're a L1 club that seems paralyzed at present - losing faith in TS.
    This. After all the hoo haa about us starting fast this summer and learning the lessons, we have failed at the first hurdle. 
    It doesn't take a competent owner 4 weeks to appoint a new manager in the off season. 
    It does if that manager was still
    involved … Lot of managers at our level including Taylor, Harris ,Pompey chairman have said there nothing happening because you can’t get hold of anyone .. so no team has started early the Pompey chairman also committed that he don’t see many money transfers taken place at our level and that 90% of deals will be out of contract or loans .. which is another reason nothing happening 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    This. After all the hoo haa about us starting fast this summer and learning the lessons, we have failed at the first hurdle. 
    It doesn't take a competent owner 4 weeks to appoint a new manager in the off season. 
    Blackburn, Burnley and Barnsley haven't got one yet have they?  QPR only announced theirs yesterday.

Watford moved quickly but they are very well practiced.

Maybe they are being announced in reverse alphabetical order and we are next 😉 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    RedRobin said:

Unfortunately it’s the perfect storm and Thomas is already getting himself a reputation around football circles.

There are plenty of clubs in the pyramid that now handle their recruitment independently of the manager. It’s the ‘head coach’ model that traditionalists don’t like but can absolutely be successful if done right.

I don’t think that’s the reason we are still waiting for an announcement on a new manager.

I tend to believe that it comes from the supposed performance related break clause that Thomas apparently insists on including. That, together with having little to no input on the players signed, would be a deal breaker for many managers and head coaches alike.

Add in the fact that such a clause was used to dispose of the previous bloke after he guided the club from 23rd to 13th and I can see why anyone would be hesitant to take the job.
    The performance clause only determined the scale of his pay off - Sacked part way through an 18 month contract I believe. Is that so unusual?

Some posters are assuming interviewees have turned us down, but Beale opted to join a Championship club and Garner, who's used to being in the hot seat and might have interviewed better, has been offered it, so we're reliably informed. He hasn't turned us down yet has he? 

Others might not have been offered it or no decision on them has been made yet. We may never find out.
    I don't want to labour this ... and I'll defer to your superior knowledge here (and @Airman Brown and others seem equally confident), but there's something not quite right here.

How do you word a contract to say ... OK, in the event that you need to be sacked, here's the sliding scale of compensation based on (eg) final League position.

What's the trigger for getting sacked?  Final league position?

In which case, the performance-related aspect (final league position?) is a lot more significant than just the payout.

We finished 13th.  I can't imagine the original 18-month contract reflected that as being acceptable.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    It does if that manager was still
    involved … Lot of managers at our level including Taylor, Harris ,Pompey chairman have said there nothing happening because you can’t get hold of anyone .. so no team has started early the Pompey chairman also committed that he don’t see many money transfers taken place at our level and that 90% of deals will be out of contract or loans .. which is another reason nothing happening 

Reading your posts physically hurts.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    They say a watched pot never boils. The Swindon owner says he can't update on Garner due to legal disclosure arrangements between Clubs, or some such goobledygook, so nothing to see here!

Time to chill out, enjoy the sunshine and treat yourselves to a cream soda fellow lifers. I think I'll return to the murky depths and do some bottom feeding 🙂

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Thomas Sandgaard wanted applications for the job which is his right as the owner where possibly QPR headhunted Michael Beale when they knew Mark Warburton was leaving towards the end of last season so a smoother transition took place. If anyone knows different please inform.

I said by June 1st we would hear the announcement of Cafc new manager so there was a two week window before Training starts at Sparrows Lane and the new guy can get familiar with his new work place and build a relationship with Steve Gallen and Martin Sandgaard. Also Thomas Sandgaard obviously, in person or on Zoom.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    They say a watched pot never boils. The Swindon owner says he can't update on Garner due to legal disclosure arrangements between Clubs, or some such goobledygook, so nothing to see here!

Time to chill out, enjoy the sunshine and treat yourselves to a cream soda fellow lifers. I think I'll return to the murky depths and do some bottom feeding 🙂

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/20182685.clem-morfuni-swindon-cannot-comment-speculation-amid-ben-garner-exit-reports/
  • Options
    Would love to know why certain people on here dont criticise anything sandgaard does, what has he done that is so amazing In your eyes ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    swordfish said:
    RedRobin said:

I don't want to labour this ... and I'll defer to your superior knowledge here (and @Airman Brown and others seem equally confident), but there's something not quite right here.

How do you word a contract to say ... OK, in the event that you need to be sacked, here's the sliding scale of compensation based on (eg) final League position.

What's the trigger for getting sacked?  Final league position?

In which case, the performance-related aspect (final league position?) is a lot more significant than just the payout.

We finished 13th.  I can't imagine the original 18-month contract reflected that as being acceptable.
    Aren't all (well most) managers sacked for the simple reason that they no longer have the owners confidence to deliver?

Deliver what is debatable.  If you listen to what Thomas says, admittedly there is a lot of it and it's sometimes contradictory, he might not of been sacked if we finished 14th or 15th but were losing 4-3 and better to watch.  I am not saying that that is the right thing to do, or not, but I think it was a consideration.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Would love to know why certain people on here dont criticise anything sandgaard does, what has he done that is so amazing In your eyes ??
    Kept us afloat? 
    Whilst I don't agree with some of his decisions, we could very easily be in a very different situation right now. Surely that goes without saying?
  • Options
    I wouldn’t double up with angst if it turns out to be Jason Euell.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Many Charlton fans just have not acclimatised into the Club and Team we are. 

It really is easier pointing out issues without having an input in resolving them.
    An input in resolving them is quite simple. 
    Hire a decent manager 
    Give them the funds to recruit the right players. 
    Do not interfere with team selection or training tactics. 
    It really is that simple. 
    Very simple when it's not your money though isn't it. 
    Christ Alfuckingmighty, if I hear that trite, imbecilic "it's not your money" cliche again I'm going to punch a bloody wall or something.
    Well it isn't us it ? If it were would you be mega generous with splurging it on our little pet ? 
    Now punch that wall and I hope it hurts...

It is a video opinion and carries some truth.
    Charming post, are you angry about something?
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this

For the actual sake of fuck. Where's the evidence to say that he's worse than Duchatelet, a man who sent an email trying to explain to Chris Powell how formations worked and sent him random work experience kids on loan as well as a goalkeeper he didn't even know was coming? Is there a three week cut off of having no manager where you can just say whatever random shit you want and people nod their heads enthusiastically? I'm not loving the current situation myself but can we stop inventing stuff? We're Charlton fans, we've got enough to worry about as it is.
    Totally agree, especially with the bold bit.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn’t double up with angst if it turns out to be Jason Euell.
    There’d be a meltdown on every Charlton forum and throughout social media
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this

For the actual sake of fuck. Where's the evidence to say that he's worse than Duchatelet, a man who sent an email trying to explain to Chris Powell how formations worked and sent him random work experience kids on loan as well as a goalkeeper he didn't even know was coming? Is there a three week cut off of having no manager where you can just say whatever random shit you want and people nod their heads enthusiastically? I'm not loving the current situation myself but can we stop inventing stuff? We're Charlton fans, we've got enough to worry about as it is.
    Can you double like something