Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    The Stockley rumour is from one of those shit Facebook pages where they suggest what could happen.

”Sheff Wed failed to get him last year but might try again”

people read it and spread it as though it’s gospel.  Already seen 3 other people with varying levels of certainty saying “it’s possible” or “it’s happening” so how long before we see “he was rubbish anyway - bring back Bonne”

all a load of poppycock
    Bit more than that.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consider-move-for-big-striker-as-charlton-athletic-star-re-joins-wanted-list-3717772

SLP have even reported it, though not under Cawley’s name.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-weighing-up-fresh-attempt-to-sign-charlton-striker-jayden-stockley/
    If we sell our top scorer to a promotion rival then this forum will explode.
    Strangely, most on here think we can do better than Stockley!
    We can certainly do different, not necessarily better.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sandgaard had to try to untangle the Gordian Knot of ‘ownership’ that was strangling the club to death.
    He may have got some things wrong, and some unsatisfactory outcomes, but as far as I can tell with Southall et al we would be in the same place as Bury right now.
    Was there a clamour of people scrambling to save the club when Sandgaard showed up?
    Loads apparently Seth 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Why would Stockley go I wonder, then I remember what happened to his good mate Conor Washington. Could easily have unsettled him. 
    Do you know that they are good mates?  

It was only about a week ago everyone was suggesting bffs Euell, Washington and Perace would join Jackson at Wimbledon.  If everyone in the dressing room were best mates we wouldn't have seen half the nonsense we have over the last two years.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    The Stockley rumour is from one of those shit Facebook pages where they suggest what could happen.

people read it and spread it as though it’s gospel.  Already seen 3 other people with varying levels of certainty saying “it’s possible” or “it’s happening” so how long before we see “he was rubbish anyway - bring back Bonne”

all a load of poppycock
    Bit more than that.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-consider-move-for-big-striker-as-charlton-athletic-star-re-joins-wanted-list-3717772

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-reportedly-weighing-up-fresh-attempt-to-sign-charlton-striker-jayden-stockley/
    Yeah. He’s a very good League 1 striker but is he a promotion winning 433 striker? Probably not. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

all a load of poppycock
    Bit more than that.

Yeah. He’s a very good League 1 striker but is he a promotion winning 433 striker? Probably not. 
    Do you expect us to sign a striker that is?
  • Options
    Wrong thread for stockley speculation 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazed how this is dragging on. We're a L1 club that seems paralyzed at present - losing faith in TS.
    FFS!!!!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    IF and its an IF we are going for the Swindon guy - could it be that he has already said how he does and doesn't want to play?   Maybe he want's 3 more mobile strikers as opposed to a big guy / little guy combo

Similarly what if we were keen on Cole Stockton instead?  Too similar to Stockley but maybe as suitable replacement?

We just don't know but as far as I am aware Jayden is going nowhere?

Thomas arrives over the weekend and is at The Valley/Sparrows Lane from Monday.  This much I know so I expect things to start moving forwards next week and some of the idle tuittle tattle can be replaced with slightly more information rather than rumours.  Maybe
    Get it right then great, no problem if we move to a high pressing possession style that wins games. Probably need to sell more of the current squad and replace them to do it successfully. Sounds good in theory I’m just not confident we’d pull it off.
  • Options
    Bumped into Thomas in Primark, he said he was going to announce a manager today but thought best to hold off out of respect for Her Majesty. We shook hands and sang two verses of God Save The Queen, which everyone in Primark stopped in their tracks and joined in. Was quite moving tbh and goes better with the electric guitar than I realised. 
    Can I read into this that the next manager will have previously managed at Primark? 
      ;)  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    IF and its an IF we are going for the Swindon guy - could it be that he has already said how he does and doesn't want to play?   Maybe he want's 3 more mobile strikers as opposed to a big guy / little guy combo

Similarly what if we were keen on Cole Stockton instead?  Too similar to Stockley but maybe as suitable replacement?

We just don't know but as far as I am aware Jayden is going nowhere?

Thomas arrives over the weekend and is at The Valley/Sparrows Lane from Monday.  This much I know so I expect things to start moving forwards next week and some of the idle tuittle tattle can be replaced with slightly more information rather than rumours.  Maybe
    We must have some idea of how we want to play and appointe the manager to match it surely?

If we don't know if we want John Beck or Pep Guardiloa what have the super-duper recruitment team been doing since Christmas?

I think it's quite obvious how we are going to try and play.  Wether we do or not is the question, and worry.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    A couple of posters on ITTV seem to think Chris Powell was interviewed recently. Could it be?? I’m not sure he’d give up what he has with Spurs and England unless he’s desperate to get back into management. 
    Powell got a raw deal from RD regarding player recruitment and team selection. I think he's smart enough to realise that TS is even worse when it comes to this

I firmly believe that we dont yet have a manager because no young up & coming manager is prepared to join knowing that they have no say in player recruitment & that their contract will be based on performances from a team not of their choosing. 

Not only have we been turned down by Beale it wouldn't surprise me if it's been a NO from Taylor too. And we were told the other day that Garner ain't too happy with the contract either. 
    For the actual sake of fuck. Where's the evidence to say that he's worse than Duchatelet, a man who sent an email trying to explain to Chris Powell how formations worked and sent him random work experience kids on loan as well as a goalkeeper he didn't even know was coming? Is there a three week cut off of having no manager where you can just say whatever random shit you want and people nod their heads enthusiastically? I'm not loving the current situation myself but can we stop inventing stuff? We're Charlton fans, we've got enough to worry about as it is.
    Just think we are now on p.213 and if people hadn't been inventing stuff we would still be on p.1. All the hours spent reading made up bollocks in the hope that one post had something relevant to say, but no apart from the Cawley posts re Garner, which still haven't come to fruition, it is clear nobody knows fuck all so they make up stuff to turn the screw on TS with Ronnie making up stuff to defend against the made up stuff. None of us are happy with the current situation but it is totally outside our control, after all it wouldn't be Charlton if it wasn't another bumpy ride and we should all be used to that by now.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    Would love to know why certain people on here dont criticise anything sandgaard does, what has he done that is so amazing In your eyes ??
    Kept us afloat? 
    Built the aqueduct 
    Bought more lifeboats. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bumped into Thomas in Primark, he said he was going to announce a manager today but thought best to hold off out of respect for Her Majesty. We shook hands and sang two verses of God Save The Queen, which everyone in Primark stopped in their tracks and joined in. Was quite moving tbh and goes better with the electric guitar than I realised. 
    Is this code for we are shopping in Primark rather than Fortnum and Masons?
  • Options
    I expect Garner to be announced, probably next week. Failing that there is likely to be a public fall-out. Jackson’s higher compensation hinged on finishing eighth or higher, which was probably already impossible when he took over, although personally I think he is better off at AFCW.

To offer some broader context a lot of the scepticism about TS is driven from within the club, playing side and non-playing side. There is certainly a private view of him among ex-pros that is much more sceptical than the public one.

i don’t think anyone wants him to fail, still less be organising any opposition to him. I won’t be doing that regardless. But wanting him to succeed won’t make it happen.
    This is what I don't get.

If Jackson had taken us from a relegation place to an 8th place (or higher) finish, why is compensation even relevant?  Did the contract really allow for a sacking under those circumstances?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I expect Garner to be announced, probably next week. Failing that there is likely to be a public fall-out. Jackson’s higher compensation hinged on finishing eighth or higher, which was probably already impossible when he took over, although personally I think he is better off at AFCW.

To offer some broader context a lot of the scepticism about TS is driven from within the club, playing side and non-playing side. There is certainly a private view of him among ex-pros that is much more sceptical than the public one.

i don’t think anyone wants him to fail, still less be organising any opposition to him. I won’t be doing that regardless. But wanting him to succeed won’t make it happen.
    This is what I don't get.

If Jackson had taken us from a relegation place to an 8th place (or higher) finish, why is compensation even relevant?  Did the contract really allow for a sacking under those circumstances?
    Would be up to the owner I imagine. 
  • Options
    https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/20182685.clem-morfuni-swindon-cannot-comment-speculation-amid-ben-garner-exit-reports/

I reckon Garner is waiting for a chat with Sandgaard once he arrives in England.  This report suggests nothing has been finalised.
  • Options
    I’m not surprised it’ll be done till TS has met his preferred candidate, suspect Adkins interviewed very well over Zoom, and I don’t think that mistake will be made again  
  • Options
    I hope Chris Powell gets interviewed.

That bloke is Charlton. He's flirted with other clubs and he's very popular wherever he goes.

A true gent who just gets on with the job