Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football League Play-Offs

Comments

• Options
    Northampton fans must feel sick after seeing automatics snatched away and then losing the play-off semi final as well.
    Teams that finish 3rd and just miss automatic promotion seem to often lose to a side that arrive in the play offs at the last minute. MK Dons-Wycombe was another example.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sunderland fan travelling from Newcastle to Wembley via Menorca as it’s cheaper.

https://bbc.in/3LeF1Ed?fbclid=IwAR1Ro5tlTG9bMbRvGjVWfN3-NLMzQbynCn0DEjq6BiUzphQ6YU5lCZX2h7g

Similar thing happened in the Aussie Rules Grand Final in 2013.
    As flights were sold out between Perth and Melbourne (where the final took place at the MCG), some Fremantle fans (Perth team) flew from Perth to Singapore and then Singapore to Melbourne.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    If I wasn’t already on the ‘get Forest back in the Premier League’ bandwagon, that kind of incident would have me wanting Huddersfield to win.

As it is, I think it’s clear which team would contribute more to next season in the Premier League. No excitement at all for Huddersfield vs anyone. Lump them in the same bucket as Palace, Bournemouth etc.

Forest on the other hand… some classic games against Man U, Liverpool, Leeds. Even a fixture like Forest v West Ham feels like an important game.
    Agree. Would be a great club to have back in there. Is there a story behind Forest and West Ham or just that they're two old clubs?
    Fa cup semi final 1991 at villa park West Ham v Forest 
    West Ham had someone sent off early on and got ‘hammered’ 4-0 , think West Ham were second tier 
    West Ham fans sang ‘billy bonds claret & blue army’ for what seemed like the whole of the second half 

don’t know if this game left an edge to that fixture 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    If I wasn’t already on the ‘get Forest back in the Premier League’ bandwagon, that kind of incident would have me wanting Huddersfield to win.

As it is, I think it’s clear which team would contribute more to next season in the Premier League. No excitement at all for Huddersfield vs anyone. Lump them in the same bucket as Palace, Bournemouth etc.

Forest on the other hand… some classic games against Man U, Liverpool, Leeds. Even a fixture like Forest v West Ham feels like an important game.
    Agree. Would be a great club to have back in there. Is there a story behind Forest and West Ham or just that they're two old clubs?
    West Ham had someone sent off early on and got ‘hammered’ 4-0 , think West Ham were second tier 
    West Ham fans sang ‘billy bonds claret & blue army’ for what seemed like the whole of the second half 

Tony Gale was sent off and they collapsed in the second half. Forest were a good side back then and had a young Roy Keane running the show.
  • Options
    The bloke who headbutted Billy Sharp has been sent to jail for 24 weeks. Good, should have got longer.
    Any jail sentence will have a massive effect on him, I assume Forest will ban him for life also

That's the maximum sentence for a Magistrates Court, it would have to be sent to a Crown Court for a jury trial
  • Options

Forest season ticket holder Robert Biggs, 30, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for 24 weeks.

At Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday, Biggs, from Ilkeston, Derbyshire, was ordered to pay £500 compensation to Sharp, and £128 in court costs.

He was also given a two-year football banning order.

Prosecutor Marianne Connally said: "Mr Sharp hadn't directly participated in the game. He appears to be standing with his hands in his pockets. Mr Biggs can be seen to run along the pitch. He then headbutts Mr Sharp. The crown's case is that this is a deliberate and senseless act of violence."

Biggs was told a separate charge of illegally entering the playing surface had been dropped.

• Options
    I think that article is wrong regarding the banning order though. I'm sure it's actually 10 years.
  • Options
    I've no sympathy for him obviously and he deserves all he's got, but if Forest go up, not being able to watch them in the PL will be a massive punishment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:

Whether it left an edge or not, that’s brilliant. A bit of English football history. Only goes to prove the point that Forest v West Ham is a far more interesting fixture than Huddersfield v West Ham.
  • Options
    I've no sympathy for him obviously and he deserves all he's got, but if Forest go up, not being able to watch them in the PL will be a massive punishment
    To give him maximum punishment he should be made to attend our matches, that'll learn him!!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

Whether it left an edge or not, that’s brilliant. A bit of English football history. Only goes to prove the point that Forest v West Ham is a far more interesting fixture than Huddersfield v West Ham.
    Huddersfield have won the top flight more time than Westham and Forest put together.......
    And i doubt there is a single person alive who saw any of their title wins.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

Huddersfield have won the top flight more time than Westham and Forest put together.......
    Not many that saw us win the FA cup either but we still bang on about it......
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

Huddersfield have won the top flight more times than Westham and Forest put together.......
    Sure but Huddersfield have had four seasons in the top flight since 1956. Almost no-one in living memory remembers their three league titles through the mid 1920s.

Forest have had 35, West Ham have had 55. There is no comparison.

I wouldn't say we bang on about the FA Cup win, only as much as any other club would when their local rivals have zero wins ever. We're obviously not the most relevant side in the 92, especially compared to the two clubs I mentioned originally. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything anyway. I'd expect everyone else to be supporting Forest (Derby, Leicester and Notts Co fans excepted) if we were playing them in the play-off final too.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

Huddersfield have won the top flight more times than Westham and Forest put together.......
    Sure but Huddersfield have had four seasons in the top flight since 1956. Almost no-one in living memory remembers their three league titles through the mid 1920s.

I wouldn't say we bang on about the FA Cup win, only as much as any other club would when their local rivals have zero wins ever. We're obviously not the most relevant side in the 92, especially compared to the two clubs I mentioned originally. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything anyway. I'd expect everyone else to be supporting Forest (Derby, Leicester and Notts Co fans excepted) if we were playing them in the play-off final too.
    I have absolutely no interest what so ever in watching Huddersfield v anyone other than Leeds and the top 2 or 3 teams, the same is true for Forest, Westham (not Leeds) and about 12 other teams in the top flight.

I wouldn't suggest any of them are box office.  I am not sure why 35 years last century makes them box office now?

They were then.
  • Options
    Shakespeare is still box office and he’s been dead over 400 years.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

I have absolutely no interest what so ever in watching Huddersfield v anyone other than Leeds and the top 2 or 3 teams, the same is true for Forest, Westham (not Leeds) and about 12 other teams in the top flight.

I wouldn't suggest any of them are box office.  I am not sure why 35 years last century makes them box office now?

They were then.
    Fair enough - to me it sounds like you don't have too much interest in the Premier League in general?

I would personally much rather watch Forest than Huddersfield. Huddersfield the sort of team to end up last on the MOTD running order 30 weeks out of 38. Forest will generate much more interest from the wider public.
  • Options
    I’d rather Forest then Huddersfield simply because their absence has been longer and I see them as more of a footballing city with more to offer for the prem at present, doesn’t change the fact that Huddersfield have history though and aren’t some nothing club, they’re deservedly in a play off final 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's totally fair and nothing I said was meant as a knock on Huddersfield.

As I said in a previous post, I'm sure if it was Forest v Charlton then fans of the other 80+ clubs would be hoping Forest won.
  • Options
    That's totally fair and nothing I said was meant as a knock on Huddersfield.

As I said in a previous post, I'm sure if it was Forest v Charlton then fans of the other 80+ clubs would be hoping Forest won.
    I think you’d be surprised tbf, a lot of people like Charlton and I’ve spoken to countless people saying the premier league feels weird without us as they grew up with us in it. That will wear off soon as time goes on but we are definitely a nostalgic type of club for a lot of neutrals. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

They were then.
    Fair enough - to me it sounds like you don't have too much interest in the Premier League in general?

I would personally much rather watch Forest than Huddersfield. Huddersfield the sort of team to end up last on the MOTD running order 30 weeks out of 38. Forest will generate much more interest from the wider public.
    That's not true, nore can what I said imply that either.  In a normal week there are probably what 6 or 7 Premier league games on TV,  plus some championship ones, plus 1 or 2 Charlton games that week.  I cant watch all of them.

Of course I would rather watch Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc or Man United getting stuffed than Westham v Brighton or Burnley v Newcastle.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

They were then.

That's not true, nore can what I said imply that either.  In a normal week there are probably what 6 or 7 Premier league games on TV,  plus some championship ones, plus 1 or 2 Charlton games that week.  I cant watch all of them.

Of course I would rather watch Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc or Man United getting stuffed than Westham v Brighton or Burnley v Newcastle.  
    Why can't it? That's exactly how I read it anyway. The context doesn't help much either. If you're only interested in the top of the table stuff, you can watch all of those teams in European competitions so why care about the Premier League in particular?

I believe that having Forest in the Premier League would be more entertaining than Huddersfield. You won't watch either of them so I'm not sure why you're picking holes in what I'm saying...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

They were then.

Why can't it? That's exactly how I read it anyway. The context doesn't help much either. If you're only interested in the top of the table stuff, you can watch all of those teams in European competitions so why care about the Premier League in particular?

I believe that having Forest in the Premier League would be more entertaining than Huddersfield. You won't watch either of them so I'm not sure why you're picking holes in what I'm saying...
    It was your justification for saying Forest were more entertaining than Huddersfield I was picking holes in.  I wouldn't, probably, watch either of them play Burnley on a Sunday lunch.  If you would fair play but there is a limit of the amount of time people can spend watching football.  

I would probably watch them both play Leeds, local derby and green jumper day.

There is no European football on a weekend which makes that point rather meaningless.  

I watch enough rubbish by watching Charlton I am not going to do it in my spare time as well......
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

Not many that saw us win the FA cup either but we still bang on about it......
    @RedChaser keeps his thoughts to himself.
  • Options
    I am hoping we get a Lappo-Josh final.
  • Options
    Oh my word... I've just seen the miss of the season!!
  • Options
    So obviously offside goal
  • Options
    Game on now between Port Vale vs Swindon

Although the latter should have just had a blatant penalty for handball

Even the goal looks offside