Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football League Play-Offs

Comments

• I live about 14 miles north of Barnsley as the crow flies so will be cheering them on rather than Wednesday. Not too much love in this neck of the woods here near Leeds for the massives. Should be a good game though. 
  • seth plum said:
    As we stand are we gaining or losing in away miles we have to travel?
    Clearly Stockpot is closer than Carlisle, and there isn’t much in it between Sheffield and Barnsley.
    Stevenage, Northampton and Leyton Orient is a plus, as is losing Accrington and Morecambe, but then again Wigan and Blackpool.
    I reckon there is a marginal gain, and hopefully Reading on the Elizabeth line is a plus.
    Got to be a big gain. We’ve lost 6 teams which required advance train tickets, and replaced them with 4 which don’t require them. Didn’t lose Peterborough either in the play offs. Up to about 10 localish trips next season which don’t require purchasing advance train tickets months in advance.
  • Those ten are presumably Peterborough, Stevenage, Cambridge, Leyton Orient, Oxford, Wycombe, Reading, errrr Bristol Rovers and Exeter?
  • seth plum said:
    Those ten are presumably Peterborough, Stevenage, Cambridge, Leyton Orient, Oxford, Wycombe, Reading, errrr Bristol Rovers and Exeter?
    Portsmouth I assumed & Northampton was more of a throw away comment than a factual representation.
  • Yeah Portsmouth, how did I forget them!
  • https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/19/upper-west-corner-to-host-away-fans-in-2023-24/

not really play off related, but Reading shoving fans into top tier next season but offering bigger allocation.
  • seth plum said:
    As we stand are we gaining or losing in away miles we have to travel?
    Clearly Stockpot is closer than Carlisle, and there isn’t much in it between Sheffield and Barnsley.
    Stevenage, Northampton and Leyton Orient is a plus, as is losing Accrington and Morecambe, but then again Wigan and Blackpool.
    I reckon there is a marginal gain, and hopefully Reading on the Elizabeth line is a plus.
    Got to be a big gain. We’ve lost 6 teams which required advance train tickets, and replaced them with 4 which don’t require them. Didn’t lose Peterborough either in the play offs. Up to about 10 localish trips next season which don’t require purchasing advance train tickets months in advance.

It's always about the trains for Charlton athletic fans 😀🚂
  • https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/19/upper-west-corner-to-host-away-fans-in-2023-24/

not really play off related, but Reading shoving fans into top tier next season but offering bigger allocation.

Moving visiting supporters to the Upper West also enables the club to charge a proportion of away fans a higher ticket price than we are currently able to. Regulations mean we are obligated to offer visiting supporters the same price as home fans when they are located within the same stand - but this change will mean we can charge a section of away supporters the Upper West matchday ticket price and increase revenue from visiting fans whilst keeping our Club 1871 prices as affordable as possible.

Well that is just mean. 
  • Wigan is a hugely underrated away day. Direct trains, good pubs and walking distance from town to ground. Soulless ground but you can't have it all
  • Sponsored links:

• Leyton Orient has always been a great away gig whatever the result.
    Glad it is happening.
  • Wellred said:
    Yet another shit northern trip for us next season regardless who wins 

You may well enjoy the National League South which Cafc are predicted to play the 28/29 season in.
    Lots of new grounds for our loyal fans to go to and still be home for supper.
    Ha I don't think we will sink that low although I wouldn't rule anything out the way things are going & I can't see us going up anytime soon
  • my 3 for promotion (avoid backing these at all costs) .. Luton, Barnsley (favs not the Owls) and Stockport (Carlisle are favs)
  • my 3 for promotion (avoid backing these at all costs) .. Luton, Barnsley (favs not the Owls) and Stockport (Carlisle are favs)
    From what i can see Luton, Wednesday and Stockport are favourites, which seems to be based purely off where they finished in the league.

In terms of their games this season:
    Barnsley beat Sheff Weds home and away this season. Quite easily too, 2-0 and 4-2.
    Luton - Coventry both matches were a draw.
    Stockport took 4 points off Carlisle.
  • Seeing people on my Facebook feed nailing their colours to the mast supporting either the Sky Blues or the Hatters. Me included, naturally. Reminds me of what FA cup final day used to be like (not on social media, obviously), where everyone would be rooting for one team or the other, before what feels like the (more or less) endless parade of Mansea v Arsepool finals of the last couple of decades. 

Anyway, Hatters, Owls and the other Hatters for me.       
  • Seeing people on my Facebook feed nailing their colours to the mast supporting either the Sky Blues or the Hatters. Me included, naturally. Reminds me of what FA cup final day used to be like (not on social media, obviously), where everyone would be rooting for one team or the other, before what feels like the (more or less) endless parade of Mansea v Arsepool finals of the last couple of decades. 

Exact opposite for me!!

Come on Coventry (though wouldn't mind Luton), Barnsley and Carlisle.
  • Not fussed about any of them.  
  • Sponsored links:

• in fact i'm kinda annoyed at the Coventry, Luton game. Both teams were down here and below. both having had a rotten time of it with ownership problems. Yet now both are on the cusp of becoming a top league side. so i'm kinda bitter about it but at the same time their fans unlike many in the championship deserve this success. so i don't mind i guess either going up.
    Though it would be funny seeing all the top six especially arsenal fans freaking out of having to stand in that pit they call an away end at Kenilworth road. 
  • Luton, Barnsley and Carlisle for me
  • Coventry, Barnsley and Carlisle I hope win! 

Admire the way coventry play, Mark Robins such an underrated manager and always like to see clubs who have had awful owners do well. 
  • Luton for the non-league to PL journey.

Wednesday to get them out of our league.

Carlisle to guarantee our promotion next season.
  • Cov
    Sheff W
    Stockport 
  • Croydon said:
    Cov
    Sheff W
    Stockport 
    Cov, Wednesday and Carlisle. Obvious really.
  • Coventry were prepared to stand with us during our protests, Sheffield Wednesday have always seemed disdainful towards us, and Carlisle have a special place in our hearts.
    So Coventry, Barnsley and Carlisle for me, although Wednesday will be strong next season I imagine.
  • Luton, Wednesday & Stockport for me. Should be some cracking games over the weekend.

Remember that when I was a kid … 1967 FA Cup Final, Chelsea vs Spurs. 

Living in Cherry Orchard Estate, Charlton, most backed Chelsea, a minority including me went for Spurs … as far as I recall, Spurs won 2-1.  
  • edited May 2023
    A Coventry win wins me £200 so come on Coventry let's do this  : B)