Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if any of those contract "triggers" are to get a fee, no matter how small?

A shocking decision if we didn't offer a contract at all imo.  Even if plan A is 433 he can do a job wide and gives you a plan B.
  • Options
    I don't think we could keep Stockley, Aneke, Washington and sign at least one other first team striker capable of starting and scoring goals.

Unfortunately Conor is a victim of the entirely ridiculous decision to bring back Aneke in January.

I would've kept him on but I don't think it fits.
  • Options
    One assumes the new manager has sanctioned all this? Announce Martin immediately! “ I’ve been completely blown away etc. etc.”
  • Options
    If we could keep this thread Conor Washington related, and the retained list thread for all the other players please
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Surprised but agree that we need to be stronger up front and in my view that means Conor being third or even fourth choice. I doubt he’s willing to accept that. Always worked his nuts off unlike most of all the others. Good luck Conor. I can see him back in Scotland.
  • Options
    I’m absolutely certain his replacement will show more effort and score more goals.
    Only a fool would think otherwise right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Fumbluff said:
    I’m absolutely certain his replacement will show more effort and score more goals.
    All this talk of 'effort' I find misleading. You won't find many professional footballers who don't try, who don't run and run. Yes, Washington put in a shift - his replacement will too, and perhaps more subtly too. There's such a thing as timing a run
  • Options
    Be interesting to see who we get in going forward. Always gave it his all and scored important goals. 

Good to luck to him. 
  • Options
    Is that a joke?  Not one that any cafc fans will enjoy
    It's been quoted elsewhere from somebody self-identifying as a journalist.

Marquis is a joke of a player at whom we've been laughing for years
    My pompey supporting mate thinks he's a donkey, a slow thick donkey who shoulda retired from the beach years ago 
  • Options
    Missed so many 1 on 1's, did he score any of them>
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Washington was always a tricky one, he was probably worth a new contract based on last season, I'd have liked to have seen him given a new deal but on the other hand he wouldn't have gotten into either of Powell or Bowyer's promotion teams and maybe he didn't want to potentially sit on the bench next season which would have been his place if we're serious about getting promoted next season.

Means that once again we'll be looking for a marquee signing up front. To let Washington leave we need a proven upgrade at this level, not a Josh Parker or unproven Premier League youngster.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Leuth said:
    Fumbluff said:
    All this talk of 'effort' I find misleading. You won't find many professional footballers who don't try, who don't run and run.
    Did you not watch Charlton last season?
    You can have players who hide (Gilbey) while also running around for 90 minutes. Hiding from the play is not the same as not putting in effort
  • Options
    Screams of a change of formation and no longer playing 2 up top    myopic idiocy by the "recruitment" team

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Meh, my natural reaction is that this isn't good.

I'm fine with this IF we bring in another pacey, intelligent striker that makes similar runs, can play all season and scores 15+ goals. He was the only striker last season that stretched defences and gave opposing defenders something to think about. His finishing was poor, but that's why he's a L1 player.

Add a decent L1+ second striker to the shopping list, alongside the new gaffer and other squad players. Hope TS' wallet is ready.
  • Options
    Good player, good luck CW.
  • Options
    Would have kept him. Always played better with him in the side.