Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    50/50 decision. I know we want Aiden O’Brien who plays a similar role so maybe that’s why we’ve released Connor. Wish him well.
    Is O’Brien really an upgrade on Washington? Or is it that he’s cheaper?
    I’d literally describe him as a poor man’s Washington. Runs around a lot but worse in front of goal. 
  • Options
    50/50 decision. I know we want Aiden O’Brien who plays a similar role so maybe that’s why we’ve released Connor. Wish him well.
    O'brien has a worse goalscoring record than Washington.

He's also a former Spanner.
  • Options
    Look forward to us signing him in the January transfer window.
    For £300k on a 3 and a half year deal.
    Don’t even joke about it!
    I'm not. 
    What are we becoming…. 

In the sense we’re not surprised any more if it did happen 😔
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Letting Connor go, major mistake.  
    Want to press high?  Want strikers pacy enough to out run defenders?  Want speed to worry the back 4 and pull them about?  

Yes, yes and yes. 

Answer - get rid of our only striker who can do all 3

and ffs sign George on a more committed basis.  I don’t commit to work for anyone who doesn’t show me commitment, why would we expect footballers to be any different?
    Want someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis without missing loads…..oh!!😬
    His goal record as a second striker is Okay, about 1 in 3.  That apart I am Okay with Conor, and believe it’s a mistake to let him go.  Helped Stockley by buzzing around.  At least he looked like he was trying, and if we are talking chipping in with goals, Davison to score more, Gilbey perhaps……will Foster wake up from whatever he was suffering from?  
  • Options

Yeah it’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. I know we offered him a contract but it was low ball. Think he did pretty well at Pompey at the back end of the season. 
  • Options
    I reckon he'll be back at The Valley with another League One club next season, and we all know what that means...
    We didn't get relegated ?
  • Options

Yeah it’s not my opinion, it’s a fact. I know we offered him a contract but it was low ball. Think he did pretty well at Pompey at the back end of the season. 
    Sounds like we're shopping in the bargain bucket then.
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Want to press high?  Want strikers pacy enough to out run defenders?  Want speed to worry the back 4 and pull them about?  

Yes, yes and yes. 

and ffs sign George on a more committed basis.  I don’t commit to work for anyone who doesn’t show me commitment, why would we expect footballers to be any different?
    Want someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis without missing loads…..oh!!😬
    His goal record as a second striker is Okay, about 1 in 3.  That apart I am Okay with Conor, and believe it’s a mistake to let him go.  Help Stockley by buzzing around.  At least he looked like he was trying, and if we are talking chipping in with goals, Davison to score more, Gilbey perhaps……will Foster wake up from whatever he was suffering from?  
    Yes I was being a little harsh really and a little flippant. in last seasons team he was a real miss when not playing, but that probably says more about the team. I wouldn’t have been dissatisfied if he’d stayed but also not overly disappointed that he’s not as he was very frustrating when in front of goal. It’s really going to depend on upcoming recruitment.
  • Options
    In my opinion it's one of 3 scenarios with Connor,
    1. He didn't want to stay amid the sacking of Jacko and uncertainty over who would be coming in.
    2. He wanted more money than we were prepared to pay him.
    3. TS was pissed after he allegedly started rumours of replacing Jacko and decided he didn't want him in the squad
    4. Charlton decided they would try for someone who could stick the ball in the net more often.

Definitely number 4 which is exciting for all fans of Cafc.
    I like many would've had Conor in my cabal of strikers with super Sub Aneke, on my head son, Stockley, young gun Kanu, and the super duper talented strong fit, goal scorer, who will be our new 20 goal striker who could play in a 1, 2 or 3 up front depending on the whim of the new manager.

So if Washington is going then we are not only getting a super new striker but maybe a goal scoring number 8 (12-15 will do)
    Two fast wing backs, or attacking full backs, plus a new CB to cover for Ryan Inniss who will be fit for about 15 games.

In football you live or die by your results.
    Missing the four chances against Lincoln where he kept messing up may have sealed Conor fate.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:

Yes, yes and yes. 

His goal record as a second striker is Okay, about 1 in 3.  That apart I am Okay with Conor, and believe it’s a mistake to let him go.  Help Stockley by buzzing around.  At least he looked like he was trying, and if we are talking chipping in with goals, Davison to score more, Gilbey perhaps……will Foster wake up from whatever he was suffering from?  
    Yes I was being a little harsh really and a little flippant. in last seasons team he was a real miss when not playing, but that probably says more about the team. I wouldn’t have been dissatisfied if he’d stayed but also not overly disappointed that he’s not as he was very frustrating when in front of goal. It’s really going to depend on upcoming recruitment.
    Agree it depends on the recruitment, but can't see us signing two strikers better than Washington. If we're playing 2 up top, then another one alongside Stockley, Washington and Aneke would have been exciting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The key question for me is: was Conor Washington released because :

A. The club had a clear and ambitious long term strategy which Washington just didn't fit into 
    OR
    B The club is a complete shambles and didn't get round to offering him an extension so Washington left for a less chaotic environment while he could 
    OR
    C.  Washington just got a better offer and left. 
    OR
    D Any other theories.
  • Options

Once a spanner always a spanner
  • Options
    I feel like I have been punched in the stomach again. I really appreciated Connor’s wholehearted effort for the team regardless of how prolific he was. 1 in 3 inclusive of some bangers in his spell with us was not at all bad and unless we are guaranteed better I think we will really miss him. I wish him the very best…

• Options

A. The club had a clear and ambitious long term strategy which Washington just didn't fit into 
    OR
    B The club is a complete shambles and didn't get round to offering him an extension so Washington left for a less chaotic environment while he could 
    OR
    OR
    D Any other theories.
    D;Thomas threw his toys out of the pram in a sulk over the alleged  contract/new manager rumour debacle, result we have now lost an important member of our squad.. B)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Think we will have to wait to see who replaces Washington before being over critical. He worked his socks off but certainly wasn't and never will be prolific in front of goal, 29 and even if offered a contract it would have only been a year, also would he score goals in the championship?  No !  
  • Options
    2 assists in the league over the entire season. 

More big chances missed than scored. 

Tried to cause dressing room trouble. 

See you later. 
    What have I missed?
  • Options
    Washington was a great option as one four strikers within a League one squad, confident we will look at the squad at beginning of next season and regret his departure.

Anyone celebrating his release is likely a mouth-breather of the highest order.
  • Options
    In my opinion it's one of 3 scenarios with Connor,
    1. He didn't want to stay amid the sacking of Jacko and uncertainty over who would be coming in.
    2. He wanted more money than we were prepared to pay him.
    3. TS was pissed after he allegedly started rumours of replacing Jacko and decided he didn't want him in the squad
    I reckon it was 3 with a dash of 2.

Personally I would have kept him as a squad player but I assume he would not want that. Not overly bothered he's gone either tbh.
  • Options
    I've just seen Simon church and Ajose in the Valley cafe  .
    It's a sign I tell thee 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

OR
    OR
    OR
    D Any other theories.
    E He wasn’t actually very good, had limited control, and a weak shot, and the fact he's seen as a loss is a damning indictment of how far we've fallen. 

F He's decided to move to the Falkland Islands where he's starting a new career as a penguin farmer. 

My bet is E, but could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:

OR
    OR
    OR
    D Any other theories.
    E He wasn’t actually very good, had limited control, and a weak shot, and the fact he's seen as a loss is a damning indictment of how far we've fallen. 

F He's decided to move to the Falkland Islands where he's starting a new career as a penguin farmer. 

My bet is E, but could be wrong. 
    Not meaning to be pedantic and only asking the question, would it not be puffin farming not penguins in the falklands, may be faro islands?, I may be confusing my blue planet viewings.😂
  • Options
    It’s now clear that we desperately need a first choice striker who can turn the defenders and have them running towards their own goal line.

Having seen Davison return 9 goals from 21 appearances at Swindon (and his contract extension), I’m hopeful he’ll be an effective back-up to whoever is coming in.

Davison and Washington have similar work ethics without being profilic scorers so I can see the logic if we only ever planned for CW to be a back-up.

But please please do not play Davison as a target man. If he gets a dozen or so starts next year (through an injury or suspension), he has to be playing alongside Stockley or Chuks.
    You refer to Davison’s goalscoring record but that was in League Two, most times I’ve seen him play at this level he’s looked shit and run around like a headless chicken.

To me it’s lunacy that we’re prepared to give Davison another contract and not Washington. One is not good enough for this level and the other one’s hit double figures this season. Like him or not I think Washington could’ve at the very least been decent back up for next season.
  • Options
    We've turned into the League One Arsenal 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:

Yes, yes and yes. 

His goal record as a second striker is Okay, about 1 in 3.  That apart I am Okay with Conor, and believe it’s a mistake to let him go.  Helped Stockley by buzzing around.  At least he looked like he was trying, and if we are talking chipping in with goals, Davison to score more, Gilbey perhaps……will Foster wake up from whatever he was suffering from?  
    If you meant Fraser (not Foster), when he came back from Covid he developed and was playing with 2 painful cysts on his knee, until the pain stopped him playing altogether and he was operated on.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We've turned into the League One Arsenal 
    Gilbey has been offered a 4 year ext and the captains band for life si I've heard 🤭🤭
  • Options
    Is there any substance to the rumour that he is disruptive?