Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I expect Washington and his agent know clubs are throwing the cash around at this level now. 

He's also growing quite injury prone so if we replace him with somebody decent (and not Davison) then fine by me.

We get a new penalty taker too looking at the positives.

But thanks for all your graft and craft Washy. Can definitely make a good youtube reel from it ;)
    Can't see them throwing cash at him tbh. He'll be turning out for a mid table league 1 team I imagine and I wish him all the best but he should be no more than a backup striker if he was to stay.
  • Options
    A bad decision imo. An intelligent footballer who is nowhere near the source of the problems this season. 
    Perhaps there’s another move here where CW returns a week before the season starts. 
    But who is making these decisions? The new manager or someone else?
    Get the new bloke in ASAP.
    Otherwise it’s another error in the close season that has a huge knock-on effect to the following season. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Was Washington at the POTY do?

Sure he was, someone reported back that he hadn't been offered a contract, but he was keen to stay and that Jackson wanted him too.

The ill player was Stockley or Mcflappy I think?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sure he was, someone reported back that he hadn't been offered a contract, but he was keen to stay and that Jackson wanted him too.

I used to enjoy a McRib.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Neither Washington nor Stockley were at the POTY dinner. Former unwell, latter personal/family reasons.
  • Options
    I wish him well. Always put in a shift, knows where the goal is, didn't always hit the target but if he did he'd be playing at a higher level. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Thanks to Covered end for printing the South London press article from Thomas Sandgaard. Well we wanted things in Black and white and Thomas does that and is the polar opposite to Duchâtelet on that score.

If the rumour was doing the rounds for two weeks and  then JJ would hear it in no time and if that was me and most of us, you would want a meeting with the boss man Thomas before he went home and way before the POTY to clarify your position.

I don't want to misquote anyone but I thought someone said JJ was talking about his new office at Sparrows lane for next season at the POTY ? Was he acting ?

The time line from Conor/agent to JJ losing the managers job has definitely been influenced by the critics on social media.

Can you imagine Curbs keeping his job now if he lost seven matches or was it eight in a row before the draw with Newcastle. Zero chance in 2022, despite the mitigation of Superclive being out injured. Curbs with the help of Murray built a better more resilient squad and they were low maintenance especially when we came back up the second time around.

• Options
    Thanks to Covered end for printing the South London press article from Thomas Sandgaard. Well we wanted things in Black and white and Thomas does that and is the polar opposite to Duchâtelet on that score.

If the rumour was doing the rounds for two weeks and  then JJ would hear it in no time and if that was me and most of us, you would want a meeting with the boss man Thomas before he went home and way before the POTY to clarify your position.

I don't want to misquote anyone but I thought someone said JJ was talking about his new office at Sparrows lane for next season at the POTY ? Was he acting ?

The time line from Conor/agent to JJ losing the managers job has definitely been influenced by the critics on social media.

Can you imagine Curbs keeping his job now if he lost seven matches or was it eight in a row before the draw with Newcastle. Zero chance in 2022, despite the mitigation of Superclive being out injured. Curbs with the help of Murray built a better more resilient squad and they were low maintenance especially when we came back up the second time around.

Regardless of the right and wrongs of it there is a big difference going on a losing run in the Premier league after you got the team promoted.  Than in league 1.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Neither Washington nor Stockley were at the POTY dinner. Former unwell, latter personal/family reasons.

Cheers, my bad.
  • Options
    Just hearing someone in the uk has won 184 million on the Euromillions lottery, hope it’s some one on here!
  • Options
    If i was Washington, no chance i'd sign with us. We're dogshit, 13th in L1. 
  • Options
    Who thinks he'll sign for a top 6 side? 
  • Options
    Crazy decision, I wonder if he was the player referred to around not being offered something in case the new manager didn't want him......
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    RoanRedNY said:

The South London Press had been told that one player due to be out-of-contract this summer claimed he was told in the past couple of weeks that his situation could not be progressed in case a new manager might not fancy him.

Sandgaard said: “I’m very well aware of that incident. We very quickly managed it.

“It was a rumour that started by that player in the dressing room and it spun out of control. It was very upsetting for Johnnie Jackson.

“It was one particular player’s interpretation of why we were holding off on maybe not immediately extending a contract.

“It was triggered by the frustration of a player, or maybe even his agent, and how the information was dealt with in terms of asking your agent to be patient because we’re still working to sort out the squad for next season.

“Within less than a day we had it under control.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-i-understand-why-some-charlton-fans-will-be-unhappy-at-johnnie-jacksons-dismissal/

LoL I reckoned This was crap when TS said it.  It’s not a rumour if it’s true, and if that’s what he was told.  I don’t believe he would have just made that up from nowhere.  And JJ was upset by the rumour? probably less upset than he was being sacked and finding out the rumour was true.  Maybe talking bollox runs in family?
    If you honestly think the sacking was a surprise, you're deluded. 
    That’s not what I said, nothing in that posts suggests that and I am not deluded on any level.  Suggest you might want to tone down your attitude, no need for that shit son.
  • Options
    Any  possibility he may have left because 'he might not fancy the new manager'?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Who thinks he'll sign for a top 6 side? 
    I’ve given this an LOL because I’m hoping you’re  still quoting the Office following AFKA’s post. 

Please let me know if I’m wrong and I’ll remove it accordingly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Marquis joining?
    If we go into the season with Stockley | Aneke | Marquis | Davison as our Strikers we're definitely going back to 4-3-3
    And definitely sliding further down the table...
  • Options
    Just hearing someone in the uk has won 184 million on the Euromillions lottery, hope it’s some one on here!
    It's not a surprise that someone won it because all 7 numbers are, potentially, the dates of people's birthdays. The only shock is that one person will get every penny of £184,262,899

3 25 27 28 29 + LS 4 & 9
  • Options
    If we are sitting here in a month's time and Hasselbaink is in the dugout and Davison is up front ~ then the decision to get shot of JJ and Missington was a total disaster. 

If however Warburton is in the dugout and Clarke-Harris is up front ~ TS had made inspired firings. 

All I hear is how amazing Conor was at ...running! As a striker you are paid to strike goals. And yes, running is part of that. Like JJ he showed little sign of being good enough current at the top end of this level or the level TS is expecting in the Championship and beyond..

So ...right decisions yes BUT ... wrong decisions could still be made subsequently (as stated above) to make us all yearn for the dire old days of midtable Jacko & Washington. 

Full steam ahead I say ...
  • Options
    Just shows how much our owner knows about football....lazy signings and letting got the only one I would have kept.

Hope Im wrong but this looks like another close season of horrors.
  • Options
    One of the few players I'd have been happy to keep. I'll reserve judgement on this decision until we have a confirmed replacement (or not).
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Similar situation to Jacko, Didn't have a bad season overall, but not sure he ever totally convinced he was the right man to take us forward if we are serious about getting promoted. No idea what money he was on but probably a higher earner.

I expected him to stay but on reading the news he’d been released my reaction was a bit meh. 

Like Jacko, the deciding factor will be if his replacement does better. Said all along we can get promoted if one of him or Stockley start regularly in a front two, but not with both.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    RoanRedNY said:

The South London Press had been told that one player due to be out-of-contract this summer claimed he was told in the past couple of weeks that his situation could not be progressed in case a new manager might not fancy him.

Sandgaard said: “I’m very well aware of that incident. We very quickly managed it.

“It was a rumour that started by that player in the dressing room and it spun out of control. It was very upsetting for Johnnie Jackson.

“It was one particular player’s interpretation of why we were holding off on maybe not immediately extending a contract.

“It was triggered by the frustration of a player, or maybe even his agent, and how the information was dealt with in terms of asking your agent to be patient because we’re still working to sort out the squad for next season.

“Within less than a day we had it under control.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-i-understand-why-some-charlton-fans-will-be-unhappy-at-johnnie-jacksons-dismissal/

LoL I reckoned This was crap when TS said it.  It’s not a rumour if it’s true, and if that’s what he was told.  I don’t believe he would have just made that up from nowhere.  And JJ was upset by the rumour? probably less upset than he was being sacked and finding out the rumour was true.  Maybe talking bollox runs in family?
    If you honestly think the sacking was a surprise, you're deluded. 
    Probably wasn’t a surprise for Jackson after Washington gave him a heads up.