Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    Disappointed with this, I liked Connor and 11 goals is a decent return when alongside another prolific striker like Stockley. 

I have no confidence in the current backroom setup to sign an adequate replacement. 
  • Options
    11 goals in 32 as a striker!! He takes penalties, he scored a goal when the ball hit him in the back and flew into the net. That reduces the goals tally down to 8 or 9. Not good enough!!

he is in the top part of the list for big chances missed. Not good enough.

but he runs a lot.....brilliant

this is a typical Charlton life reaction.  I've read on here how this is the worst Charlton team ever, no connection to the squad, don't care if they all go etc. a slap bang average player from a terrible third division side gets released and it's Charlton life meltdown, sandgaard is clueless, it's martins fault etc.

let's put this into perspective. We have released Connor average league 1 Washington, not kermogant, not mark kinsella, not even average Carl leaburn, with average Carl leaburn at least being average at a higher level.

we finished in the bottom half of league 1!!!! A massive overhaul of players is needed and we shouldn't be keeping a poor finisher who misses chance after chance after chance because he is good at running

bye Connor, thanks for playing 61 games in two of the worst seasons in most supporters life times.
    So penalties don't  count and neither the rest of his energetic effort. By the way he had to be there for it to hit him at Cambridge.  A goal Aneke claimed as an assist from.a wide bound shot
    Aneke scored half the amount of goals from open play that Washington scored, from a handful of minutes.
  • Options
    Not gonna happen but if Washington out means we can get in a proper upgrade, then I am fine with it. I have been vocal that he was one of my favourites, but his misses in the last 10 games or so, could at least have kept us top half if he put away half of them. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hopefully it will become clear in the fullness of time but why would you keep Davison and not Washington?

Even if we bring in a better version of Washington, what does It mean?

Neither JD nor CW should ever be the lone striker.  CW can at least do a job wide and would be the better bet as a plan B.

If we are going to play a 1 or a 3 we now need an upgrade on Stockley and won't really have a plan B.  If we are sticking with a 2 we probably need 2 strikers the worst of which has to be at least as good as Washington.  

There is a fine balance between a clear out and leaving yourself too much to do.  Preseason starts in about 6 weeks.

Assume it's because we think Swindon will pay a fee for him
    That's pretty much the only thing I can think of, if not Swindon someone else. 
    I reckon he will be one of the 4 striking options, with the 2 lumps.  
    Chuks is more than just a lump. He's our best striker and much more complete than Stockley. He can actually run at defences. (When fit)
    When fit being the key point. Iniss and Aneke are phenomenal at this level but unfortunately neither appear to be capable of playing 90 mins week in week out.

Not too much of an issue if planned squad players/ impact players but a big issue if they are being perceived as integral parts of a promotion challenging side where consistency of team seems to be a significant factor.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    11 goals in 32 as a striker!! He takes penalties, he scored a goal when the ball hit him in the back and flew into the net. That reduces the goals tally down to 8 or 9. Not good enough!!

this is a typical Charlton life reaction.  I've read on here how this is the worst Charlton team ever, no connection to the squad, don't care if they all go etc. a slap bang average player from a terrible third division side gets released and it's Charlton life meltdown, sandgaard is clueless, it's martins fault etc.

let's put this into perspective. We have released Connor average league 1 Washington, not kermogant, not mark kinsella, not even average Carl leaburn, with average Carl leaburn at least being average at a higher level.

we finished in the bottom half of league 1!!!! A massive overhaul of players is needed and we shouldn't be keeping a poor finisher who misses chance after chance after chance because he is good at running

bye Connor, thanks for playing 61 games in two of the worst seasons in most supporters life times.
    So penalties don't  count and neither the rest of his energetic effort. By the way he had to be there for it to hit him at Cambridge.  A goal Aneke claimed as an assist from.a wide bound shot
    Of course they count but it shows what an average player he is when he scores 11 goals as a striker when he also takes penalties and scores by getting in the way.

was anekes shot going wide? My recollection was that Washington was fairly central and the deflection took the ball into the corner. The camera angle from Charlton tv didn't clearly show the trajectory of the ball pre snaking into washington
  • Options
    I'm a bit disappointment with this tbh, as I like Conor. Always put a real shift in, was a menace and scored a few cracking goals in his time with us too - although you wouldn't back him in a 1-on-1 with the keeper! If we get a couple of quality goal scoring forwards in then great, but I just don't trust us to do it. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong though. Good luck to him wherever he ends up. COYA
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Think we will have to wait to see who replaces Washington before being over critical. He worked his socks off but certainly wasn't and never will be prolific in front of goal, 29 and even if offered a contract it would have only been a year, also would he score goals in the championship?  No !  
    If the reports are true that Marquis is signing on a free transfer today then its a very poor replacement. Stats don't lie, same age, less goals last season and doesn't have half the work rate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    quite a talented player who only ever seemed to do the minimum .. never seemed to play with any fire or passion .. scored a few goals .. but ..  farewell, goodbye
    Are you on the right thread?  He isn't Mbappa but c9me on.
  • Options
    quite a talented player who only ever seemed to do the minimum .. never seemed to play with any fire or passion .. scored a few goals .. but ..  farewell, goodbye
    He put in loads of effort, that's one thing he can't be faulted for.
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, we all have our opinions about work rate etc .. his scoring record, about 1 in every 3 games was just acceptable as a 'second striker', if he'd worked harder he could have been more prolific .. I am not sorry to see him go, BUT as I typed earlier, I am surprised he's been let go before the new manager takes over (unless the mystery new man has been consulted lol) as another manager might get more from him .. he's30 next week, perhaps regarded as 'over the hill' ?
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
    Wrong decision - again.
    Sad to see you go Conor.
  • Options
    He put in loads of effort, that's one thing he can't be faulted for.
    Cafc43v3r said:
    well, we all have our opinions about work rate etc .. his scoring record, about 1 in every 3 games was just acceptable as a 'second striker', if he'd worked harder he could have been more prolific .. I am not sorry to see him go, BUT as I typed earlier, I am surprised he's been let go before the new manager takes over (unless the mystery new man has been consulted lol) as another manager might get more from him .. he's30 next week, perhaps regarded as 'over the hill' ?
    If he worked harder he’d probably score fewer by tiring himself out. Effort and energy is clearly one of his main strengths, and it stands out even more alongside Stockley or Aneke, neither who are going to suit the high press TS is after.
  • Options
    Bailey said:

If the reports are true that Marquis is signing on a free transfer today then its a very poor replacement. Stats don't lie, same age, less goals last season and doesn't have half the work rate. 
    Has anyone aside from that newly-created account Twitter account said that Marquis is a thing?
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    Bailey said:

Has anyone aside from that newly-created account Twitter account said that Marquis is a thing?

Thing is I have always wondered about instantly dismissing new accounts is that if I was truly ITK i.e. linked to a club or player with real insight on goings on re a transfer then the logical thing to do would be to create a new twitter account to get the news out there and avoid detection of who the source is.  

I.e. in this case say the source of that new twitter account is a friend or relative of marquis or someone who works at Sparrows they would unlikely use their own established real twitter to communicate real ITK news.

An anonymous new account would be way to go and arguably these new one hit accounts could be more reliable for such news than established "real" ones posting rumours they've heard.  

Otherwise it would be just weird to set up a new account to start such a rumour (I accept there's a lot of weirdos out their in cyberspace).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Washington did more than just run around, he made intelligent, well timed runs. For a player who plays on the shoulder of the last man he was rarely caught offside. He was deceptively quick and his first touch was pretty sound. His movement and work created space and openings for others. Part of the reason he missed so many chances was because he was able to get into those goal scoring positions in the first place.

The frustration was that he too often hit the keeper and not the corner of the net and his crosses would find the first defender too often. His goals tended to come in streaks - 4 or 5 in a few matches and then weeks and weeks without one. It won't have helped his case for a new contract that he had a bit of a barren run, missing some big chances, in the last couple of months of the season.

My gut feel is this is the right call, he wasn't one I'd be relying on to get the big goal in the big match and I do think we need to be setting our sights higher. Lets hope we actually get someone better.

• Options
    I've a foot in both camps. I can certainly understand the idea of wanting to keep someone who at least showed a bit of energy and determination on the pitch, and his goal record wasn't terrible, albeit we remember the multiple misses too.

That said I can ALSO understand the idea that it makes a statement and that we can (and should) be aiming higher, though the retention of Inniss seems to be in counterpoint as I can understand keeping both, or disposing of both but not why we'd keep Inniss but not Washington.

We have to get the window right. Over to you, Black Box. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I don't know what people are watching sometimes. He is one player who always put a shift in. 11 goals will be hard to replace. I would have kept him even just to come on as a sub for when the opposition are tiring. I have little faith in the people making these decisions including Gallen.
    It shouldn't be for your starting striker
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    boggzy said:
    Everyone banging on about people getting obsessed or over-excited about Washington - I think you're missing the point.

No-one's saying he's a world-beater, but in a season of utterly abject displays (and some might say players), apart from Dobson he was the only one who actually tried to make things happen on the pitch, and try different things. The number of times he'd make a great run, but no-one in midfield had the nouse/ability to see/make the pass. If he'd stayed injured for the whole season I think we'd have been in real trouble. 

Yes of course he should have put a few more away, but there were some decent finishes also. He actually offered some attacking nous and battle. It's the fact that one of the few players that has looked interested has been released is what's got people shaking their head. A little bit of a bright spark from the season and even that's gone - needing to be replaced. Based on what our 'recruitment team' have done thus far, can anyone honestly see us getting anyone better? Usual caveat - I hope I'm wrong etc.

Whatever, I'm lumping on him scoring whenever he returns to play against us!
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Getting rid of Gunter, Watson, Souare was necessary. This one feels unnecessary. When you've had a crap season and need a clear out, you get rid of the players that aren't good enough and/or don't have the work ethic to help turn it around. I'd argue Conor had both of those to a certain extent and could've helped to build a better squad culture long term.

We're not privy to the apparent contract negotiations so if he was asking for a lot of money / more than he was on previously, I would be more understanding of the decision. But we'll never have that context so from a fan's perspective, it seems like a bad decision.

I fully anticipate he will land with one of our rivals or as a squad player in a bottom half Championship side. That or he will go back up to Scotland where he was prior to joining CAFC.
  • Options
    Depending on our style of play next season, this is either a daft move or possibly understandable.

Our midfielders have come in for a lot of criticism this season for a lack of creativity but I am reserving judgement on them because I got the feeling that it was a (baffling) tactical preference to bypass the midfield and keep lumping the ball over their heads. Maybe a manager with more faith in playing football back to front, will see the midfield develop.

If we retain our hoofing game then Washington will be a big loss. Few forwards work as hard as him, run the channels as faithfully and play as selflessly. He won't ever be a 20 goal a season striker but 15 from a supporting striker wouldn't look too shabby and he's capable of that.

If we start playing some football, I'm not sure he'll have the tactical nous or technique to be a starter next season. 

Either way, I liked Washington. A really honest, hard working player who could deliver on occasion. If we had 11 players like him last season we would have performed a lot better. Wish him well at his next club.
  • Options

I think most of us are just nervous that he’s gone before a replacement has been announced. You make some good points though. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Is that a Four Yorkshiremen Sketch quote, or just an homage?
    Homage. Good spot!
  • Options
    No one likes a tittletattle...