Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Funny move but not surprised or upset - if TS wants to play a high press Washington would certainly fit in to that.. Washington stats are not bad, but always felt he could be and do better - he did work very hard for the team, and was different to what we had available. 

If true about him telling Jacko, fair play he clearly had a relationship...

Time will tell over the next few weeks either TS is spending the cash and we are moving on to better things or this is a cost cutting exercise! The other deals were all triggered, so finance pre-agreed, where Washington would have been after new terms and more money!
  • Options
    Whatever people think of Washington I believe he's a better player than Davison. 
    He certainly offers more to the team.
    Should have kept him as a back up striker instead of Davison. 
    Totally different type of players Davison is a traditional type of forward that can drop off or play target man..

Washington was a channel runner, and off the shoulder of the last man.
  • Options
    Whatever people think of Washington I believe he's a better player than Davison. 
    Davison has been retained so we can sell for a fee. Nothing more.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Totally different type of players Davison is a traditional type of forward that can drop off or play target man..

Washington was a channel runner, and off the shoulder of the last man.
    Different type of players 
    Agreed 
    But both are strikers.
    Charlton look much better with Washington up front than they do with Davison 
  • Options
    F*****g embarrassing…good striker, gives 100% every game and they don’t offer him a new contract? The same player that was third in the POY?? Someone at the club needs the head looking at, 
  • Options
    I do not know about the dressing room gossip. All I know is we want replacements that are an improvement.
  • Options
    F*****g embarrassing…good striker, gives 100% every game and they don’t offer him a new contract? The same player that was third in the POY?? Someone at the club needs the head looking at, 
    I would take the player of the year rankings with a pinch of salt this year. He was third, third in a bottom half league 1 finish, not third when we finished 7th in the premier league.

we are a slap bag average third tier team. If we want to improve, we need better than Washington. Im
     ot just picking on Washington, we also need better than gilbey, Morgan, Matthews, Davisson etc. this is a step in the right direction.

I personally would have kept him as a squad player but I don't see him in training, I don't know if the reports of him being disruptive are true or behind this decision. What I do know is releasing a player that scored less than 10 goals from open play last season is not embarrassing!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know it is nowhere near in the same league of upset but I do remember there were even a few who tried to say don’t worry re Yann going - Roland has plans to bring in much better. That worked out well…

(No I’m not comparing TS to RD, I’m talking about the hyper optimism / wishful thinking of some fans.)

This rumour mill stuff re him being disruptive does not feel very Charlton. At least let him go on his way with thanks and best wishes. 
    Washington should not be compared to yann. Completely different players and circumstances 
  • Options
    I love the ‘we must be shopping in the bargain bin again’ as if anybody knows who we are trying to bring in at this stage. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HandG said:
    Chunes said:
    Who thinks he'll sign for a top 6 side? 
    I’ve given this an LOL because I’m hoping you’re  still quoting the Office following AFKA’s post. 

Please let me know if I’m wrong and I’ll remove it accordingly!
    I'll take all the LOLs I can get.

It was an honest question, since hopefully we are looking at being a top 6 side ourselves. If nobody feels sure he'll go to a top 6 side (even as a squad player) then perhaps we have made the right decision after all
  • Options
    I'm not entirely discounting the theory that it's at least part Conor deciding he doesn't want another contract rather than all on the club's side. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    I'm not entirely discounting the theory that it's at least part Conor deciding he doesn't want another contract rather than all on the club's side. 
    If that was the case I'd have thought the statement would have said that he was offered a new deal rather than being released.
  • Options
    Very disappointed at this for a host of reasons.

He brought a lot of energy to the team and overall goal stats are right up there even if he missed a lot - good strikers get into those positions.

I’m sceptical about us finding better - reminds me of Powell being told to release Fuller and Haynes and promised he’d be backed to get better. Then we scrabbled around at end of window to bring in Church and Sordell. Oh except slight difference - this decision has been taken without a manager in place.

Sat with Conor at sponsors’ dinner and he was totally discreet re anything to do with manager and supportive of Jacko. So if the Sandgaard junior gaffe had already happened by then he certainly did not spread or even hint at gossip with us. Talked about excellent spirit in the dressing room, spoke honestly and intelligently about all sorts of stuff. Was a bit frustrated that contract discussions had not started. He has a young family and was hoping to settle in the area. His wife and Stockley’s wife have become good friends. He said what a good partnership he had with Stockley because they had such different strengths. 

Promised we’d sponsor him again next season if he was here - so that’s money the club won’t be getting from me for that.

Just feels a real shame. Lots for the ‘recruitment team’ to prove now.
    3 assists over the course of the season from those two. 

Great partnership from two players that didn't seem to interact on the football pitch at all. 
  • Options
    Crikey, all this drama over a bang average league 1 striker. 

Good luck Washington 
    “Average!? We used to dream of average!”
  • Options
    Is that a Four Yorkshiremen Sketch quote, or just an homage?
  • Options
    Crikey, all this drama over a bang average league 1 striker. 

Good luck Washington 
    Wonder what will happen to tomorrow to cause the next emotional breakdown. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hopefully it will become clear in the fullness of time but why would you keep Davison and not Washington?

Even if we bring in a better version of Washington, what does It mean?

Neither JD nor CW should ever be the lone striker.  CW can at least do a job wide and would be the better bet as a plan B.

If we are going to play a 1 or a 3 we now need an upgrade on Stockley and won't really have a plan B.  If we are sticking with a 2 we probably need 2 strikers the worst of which has to be at least as good as Washington.  

There is a fine balance between a clear out and leaving yourself too much to do.  Preseason starts in about 6 weeks.

Assume it's because we think Swindon will pay a fee for him
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hopefully it will become clear in the fullness of time but why would you keep Davison and not Washington?

Neither JD nor CW should ever be the lone striker.  CW can at least do a job wide and would be the better bet as a plan B.

If we are going to play a 1 or a 3 we now need an upgrade on Stockley and won't really have a plan B.  If we are sticking with a 2 we probably need 2 strikers the worst of which has to be at least as good as Washington.  

There is a fine balance between a clear out and leaving yourself too much to do.  Preseason starts in about 6 weeks.

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of, if not Swindon someone else. 
  • Options
    Sorry to see Wash go. Always a handful for opposing defences. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    50/50 decision. I know we want Aiden O’Brien who plays a similar role so maybe that’s why we’ve released Connor. Wish him well.
    Is O’Brien really an upgrade on Washington? Or is it that he’s cheaper?
    To be honest, I'm alright with that. Washington was a perfectly good enough back up striker. If Washington wanted more money than we were willing to pay and O'Brien would be the equivalent but cheaper then that's decent business, assuming that saved money can be recycled into signing a very good main striker.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He's scored 9 in 21 for them so must be on the target list of a few clubs.  Would be mad to let him go for nothing.
  • Options
    He was not as prolific as he should have been for the number of good chances (many created by him), but I do worry that we will struggle to recruit better. If we can get better then I can understand it.

If he has been released because of the alleged leak about JJ, and not for footballing reasons, it is a disgrace. That is a non-story. Everyone new JJ had a contract until the end of the year with possible extension based on performance. JJ himself would have know he had not achieved the required target. If it is also true that MS told him that a new manager wouldn't fancy him and that was why they weren't talking about a new contract, then he is not spreading rumours in any case - it is a fact. In that scenario it is surely MS that is in the wrong for leaking the non-story that JJ is leaving.
  • Options
    Rumours, gossip, dressing room disruption....sounds like a bloody shambles to me. 
  • Options
    WhenIwasLittleBoy said:

Was an enigma as he sometimes shower sublime first touch and effortless finishing but 90% of the time couldn't hold the ball up under pressure and had a powder puff finish, but always worked his socks off.  

We were better when he played but that is just a reflection of how crap the team was, in particular the midfield.  Washington often gave us the only option we had to get behind the defence and scoring opportunities that didn't involve a contribution from midfield.

Running the channel isn't an elusive skill, it's something a player adds to his game.  Can see why a player whose skills are mainly restricted to pace and effort can't justify his place in the squad. Doesn't seem irrational to me.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I reckon he will be one of the 4 striking options, with the 2 lumps.  
  • Options
    Washington wasn't perfect ... but he did provide something different to our other strikers.  Yes, he did miss more than his fair share of chances, but I thought De Souza had come in to fix all these individual shortcomings?

I hope we don't sign 'perfect' players over the Summer ... otherwise what will De Souza do?