Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    Is there any substance to the rumour that he is disruptive?
    No. He enquired about a new contract and was told that a/the new manager may not want him (before Jacko was sacked).
    So it got leaked by him presumably.
    This is what people are referring to and TS confirmed it happened, although I can't recall if he named CW as the player. 

• Options
    More I think of this more I think it's a bad move. One of our best players albeit in a mediocre squad. 

Big gamble 
  • Options
    I really liked CW and enjoyed watching him as he was a constant thorn in the side of opposition defenders. But as Golfie always says you need goal scorers to get out of this league, so with a tinge of sadness I say goodbye Conor and GL. I know it's only a vague rumour but i wouldnt be surprised if Stockley left as well and again i like the bloke but i hate the way we play when he is playing plus tbh i think his link up play is poor so i wouldnt be too fussed if we took a profit on him
  • Options
    It was a rumour started by Conor himself
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Right to let him go. There are better players out there that will get us promoted.

Let’s see if we get them…
    Speaking from personal experience, on a whim I threw out most of my furniture 2 years ago because I knew there was better stuff out there, although the armchair was on a short leash for being wrongly accused of saying the matching sofa may not be there in a couple of weeks anyway .  Sadly the stuff I liked I couldn’t afford, or it went before I could get to see it or get an offer in, or it didn’t fancy the place I wanted to put it, or it couldn’t be delivered for a couple of years.  There was also a rumour that the house was a bit of a shit show and that I didn’t really know what I wanted, and that didn’t help.  I ended up with shittier furniture than I started with, but I kept the chair with a broken centre back, so that’s Okay.

doesn’t sound real does it……
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    It was a rumour started by Conor himself
    What’s the rumour then? Only thing we’ve heard is that Martin Sandgaard told Washington he wasn’t getting a new contract because the next manager doesn’t want him. If there’s any substance to that then it’s not on Washington at all, it’s on Sandgaard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not too sad that he’s gone. He’s a good player. One of the better players last year. Would make some good runs and get into some good positions but his final pass or attempt at goal was generally piss poor. A very frustrating player, in my book. 
  • Options
    I haven’t trawled through this whole thread but I don’t think we should underestimate the significance of the leak allegedly from Washington about Jackson and effectively about both their futures. Understandably Jackson and subsequently Sandgaard senior were not happy. Is it possible that Sandgaard refused to sanction a new offer ? 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    paulfox said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    Letting Connor go, major mistake.  
    Want to press high?  Want strikers pacy enough to out run defenders?  Want speed to worry the back 4 and pull them about?  

Yes, yes and yes. 

Answer - get rid of our only striker who can do all 3

and ffs sign George on a more committed basis.  I don’t commit to work for anyone who doesn’t show me commitment, why would we expect footballers to be any different?
    Want someone to put the ball in the net on a regular basis without missing loads…..oh!!😬
    His goal record as a second striker is Okay, about 1 in 3.  That apart I am Okay with Conor, and believe it’s a mistake to let him go.  Helped Stockley by buzzing around.  At least he looked like he was trying, and if we are talking chipping in with goals, Davison to score more, Gilbey perhaps……will Foster wake up from whatever he was suffering from?  
    If you meant Fraser (not Foster), when he came back from Covid he developed and was playing with 2 painful cysts on his knee, until the pain stopped him playing altogether and he was operated on.
    Yes, i think i meant Fraser.  Maybe there’s a Foster out there who is better though, cant rule it out.
  • Options
    I haven’t trawled through this whole thread but I don’t think we should underestimate the significance of the leak allegedly from Washington about Jackson and effectively about both their futures. Understandably Jackson and subsequently Sandgaard senior were not happy. Is it possible that Sandgaard refused to sanction a new offer ? 
    Of course it’s possible, although just a lot of speculation either way at the moment. 
  • Options
    No. He enquired about a new contract and was told that a/the new manager may not want him (before Jacko was sacked).
    So it got leaked by him presumably.
    This is what people are referring to and TS confirmed it happened, although I can't recall if he named CW as the player. 

Unless I heard the words verbatim from Conor or his agent I can't see how they were the words used ? Or who ever the player is.
    Probably only Washington or Matthews fit the profile.

So the "new manager" decided that Inniss and JFC are staying, but the "new manager" may not want Conor !

Still feel Thomas Sandgaard saw the 4 missed chances by Conor against Lincoln when he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and he made the decision because who else did ? Steve Gallen ? 

Did Martin Sandgaard feed the black box with Conor's stats, including age and money demands and the computer said NO ?
  • Options

The South London Press had been told that one player due to be out-of-contract this summer claimed he was told in the past couple of weeks that his situation could not be progressed in case a new manager might not fancy him.

Sandgaard said: “I’m very well aware of that incident. We very quickly managed it.

“It was a rumour that started by that player in the dressing room and it spun out of control. It was very upsetting for Johnnie Jackson.

“It was one particular player’s interpretation of why we were holding off on maybe not immediately extending a contract.

“It was triggered by the frustration of a player, or maybe even his agent, and how the information was dealt with in terms of asking your agent to be patient because we’re still working to sort out the squad for next season.

“Within less than a day we had it under control.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-i-understand-why-some-charlton-fans-will-be-unhappy-at-johnnie-jacksons-dismissal/

• Options
    Was Washington at the POTY do?
  • Options
    Looks like Washington had his new deal removed by the club after off field issues ? 
    What’s the off field issue? Sandgaard junior not keeping his mouth shut?
    Get rid of Sandgaard junior then .
    No, I’m enjoying the show 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Was Washington at the POTY do?
    No.  Was ill apparently I recall reading on here or hearing on Charlton Live
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like Washington had his new deal removed by the club after off field issues ? 
    What’s the off field issue? Sandgaard junior not keeping his mouth shut?
    Get rid of Sandgaard junior then .
    Yep
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Good decision in my book
    Only if he’s replaced by better imho
  • Options

The South London Press had been told that one player due to be out-of-contract this summer claimed he was told in the past couple of weeks that his situation could not be progressed in case a new manager might not fancy him.

Sandgaard said: “I’m very well aware of that incident. We very quickly managed it.

“It was a rumour that started by that player in the dressing room and it spun out of control. It was very upsetting for Johnnie Jackson.

“It was one particular player’s interpretation of why we were holding off on maybe not immediately extending a contract.

“It was triggered by the frustration of a player, or maybe even his agent, and how the information was dealt with in terms of asking your agent to be patient because we’re still working to sort out the squad for next season.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-i-understand-why-some-charlton-fans-will-be-unhappy-at-johnnie-jacksons-dismissal/

LoL I reckoned This was crap when TS said it.  It’s not a rumour if it’s true, and if that’s what he was told.  I don’t believe he would have just made that up from nowhere.  And JJ was upset by the rumour? probably less upset than he was being sacked and finding out the rumour was true.  Maybe talking bollox runs in family?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    redbuttle said:
    Good decision in my book
    There are better strikers out there but obviously we won't sign them....
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    redbuttle said:
    Good decision in my book
    There are better strikers out there but obviously we won't sign them....
    This is the issue .  Who trusts recruitment to bring in better ?  At the moment, we have 2 immobile lumps and a striker that most acknowledge as a league 2 player as forward options. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RoanRedNY said:

LoL I reckoned This was crap when TS said it.  It’s not a rumour if it’s true, and if that’s what he was told.  I don’t believe he would have just made that up from nowhere.  And JJ was upset by the rumour? probably less upset than he was being sacked and finding out the rumour was true.  Maybe talking bollox runs in family?
    If you honestly think the sacking was a surprise, you're deluded. 
  • Options
    I expect Washington and his agent know clubs are throwing the cash around at this level now. 

He's also growing quite injury prone so if we replace him with somebody decent (and not Davison) then fine by me.

We get a new penalty taker too looking at the positives.

But thanks for all your graft and craft Washy. Can definitely make a good youtube reel from it ;)
  • Options
    The myth making around Connor has begun it seems 
  • Options
    A decent L1 player, but not an exceptional one.

There are definitely better players out there at our level. Whether we'll sign them is another matter...