Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    On the other side, I understand the argument that he couldn’t really stay if he was demanding top top wages or was confirmed to be the rumoured source of the infamous leak to Jacko.

It may end up best for both parties this way. But he’s going to be harder to replace than some realise.
  • Options
    No sell-on value and relatively high wages, I imagine. A board decision. A manager would almost certainly have kept him on to play how TS wants. Maybe says more about priorities. TS has frequently referred to players as “investments” in the past. 
  • Options
    On the other side, I understand the argument that he couldn’t really stay if he was demanding top top wages or was confirmed to be the rumoured source of the infamous leak to Jacko.

It may end up best for both parties this way. But he’s going to be harder to replace than some realise.
    This for me. I expect he wanted to be first choice with the pay that comes with that. Not convinced we’ll sign both a better striker and a solid 10+ goals a season backup.

I really hope that doesn’t need to be a concern. TS could be thinking with the right manager and coaching team between Davison, Kanu, Leaburn and Gavin we’ll have a couple of good strikers. That’s something we shouldn’t try to force to happen, we need four ideally five first team level strikers, if one the above breaks through that should be as bonus.
  • Options
    I'd rather have 4 senior strikers and then Gavin/Kanu/Leaburn as 5th options , maybe loaned out for the first half of the season to get minutes or used in the EFL Trophy.

Replacing Conor isn't going to be easy and will probably take a decent fee to do so. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    You want to get promoted you need Championship players. He wasn't. Liked his energy and commitment, though.
    In what way was he not a Championship player? Two years prior to joining us he was part of a Sheff Utd squad that won promotion to the Premier League. 

He didn’t start a lot of games that season granted but a player that can contribute in a squad of that calibre is surely considered to be at least lower-end Championship quality.

I read Bolton may be interested in Conor. Would be interesting seeing him paired with someone like Dion Charles. Reckon there’d be a lot of egg on faces around here by this time next year…
    Because he’s nowhere near good enough to be playing in the championship??

Lots of running and endeavour, but little ability.
  • Options
    I can see him going back to Peterborough and being back in the goals.
    The dressing room thing is interesting, he had that real clique with Gilbey and Lee but not sure if they were all together. I would of still kept him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    You want to get promoted you need Championship players. He wasn't. Liked his energy and commitment, though.
    Except you don’t do you. To get promoted you need quality league 1 players. 
    I think the lineup against Sunderland this time three years ago at Wembley shows that @Major is substantively correct.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd rather have 4 senior strikers and then Gavin/Kanu/Leaburn as 5th options , maybe loaned out for the first half of the season to get minutes or used in the EFL Trophy.

Replacing Conor isn't going to be easy and will probably take a decent fee to do so. 
    Not convinced Leaburn will be here next season.  18 and no signed contract...
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Be slightly surprised if we release him, seeing he's been around the First Team for an away trip this season. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

That’s the case for the majority of second years, most sign their first pro after the season ends. The club didn’t mention the u23s and u18s in the released list, but I assume there will be news on them at some point.
  • Options
    Major said:
    I think the lineup against Sunderland this time three years ago at Wembley shows that @Major is substantively correct.
    No that was just one example of a team who had some outstanding players. Rotherham keep going up and down, would you say they have Championship players? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    se9addick said:

The person who told Washington that Jacko was getting the sack before they had the good grace to tell Jacko himself should have been released rather than Washington.
    I would have thought the fact that we would be getting new Manager was very obvious by then surely
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    AndyG said:
    se9addick said:

The person who told Washington that Jacko was getting the sack before they had the good grace to tell Jacko himself should have been released rather than Washington.
    I would have thought the fact that we would be getting new Manager was very obvious by then surely
    You are obviously an oracle compared to your fellow fans then, the first few comments on the thread announcing his departure all expressed shock/surprise

• Options
    Major said:
    Except I'd argue Washington is a better player than Parker who was the 2nd striker on the day and failed to score in any match for us.

Rest of the team -: agreed
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MarcusH26 said:

Are you counting Aneke in those four?

In which case, are you comfortable with playing 20-25 games a season with three strikers? And if one of those three got injured/suspended while Aneke is also out and we’re left with two?

Unfortunately, Aneke has to be treated as 5th choice in my opinion. Nice to have but cannot be relied upon to be available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    There was Conor Washington who ran on to lob the keeper from Craig M long kick against Burton, also the striker that scored two good finishes against Cambridge at the valley. Always gave 100%.

There was Conor Washington who had 4 good opportunities against Lincoln at the Valley when we only had 10 men; along with Gilbey's stupidity, it meant a loss where a victory was possible. Always gave 100%.

We replace Washington with a striker who scores more goals and can dovetail into the side then good decision because Conor wouldn't want to be 4th in the pecking order.

We get another striker who doesn't have Conor's work rate and scores 1 in 4 games then it's a poor decision.

Wages come into the equation when decisions are made in any business including the crazy football world.

The Burton goal you mention was a real eyebrow raiser because it was uncharacteristically ruthless

there were many misses in 1v1s I recall too - which were as expected sadly

Kevin Lisbie scored that career highlight hattrick against Liverpool. If he played like that every week, he'd be playing for Liverpool  :)

Sadly for him, that performance, certainly at that level was the exception, and similarly while Conor has scored some decent "striker's" goals, he doesn't score enough for a promotion chasing team.
  • Options

The infamous leak was made by sandgaard jnr. Nobody else is to blame.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

In which case, are you comfortable with playing 20-25 games a season with three strikers? And if one of those three got injured/suspended while Aneke is also out and we’re left with two?

Unfortunately, Aneke has to be treated as 5th choice in my opinion. Nice to have but cannot be relied upon to be available.

I was originally counting Chuks yes. However I realise that's probably a touch idealistic that we'll get anything more than 20-25 games from him much like Innis.

So that's probably 3 strikers needed , could see one being a winger/striker. 
  • Options

You don't even know what was said. I highly doubt MS actually said Jackson was getting sacked. Much more likely he said something along the lines of let's wait and see where we are at the end of the season, and Conor put 2 and 2 together and told Jackson.
  • Options

You don't even know what was said. I highly doubt MS actually said Jackson was getting sacked. Much more likely he said something along the lines of let's wait and see where we are at the end of the season, and Conor put 2 and 2 together and told Jackson.
    So you don’t know what was said either…
  • Options
    But everyone is baying for MS blood so thats the story that will stick.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

So you don’t know what was said either…
    Exactly. But I'm reasoning and making clear it's supposition. You've taken an extreme version of the rumour and made a statement like its gospel.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Why only 20-25 games? 

He’s managed more than that for 4 out of the last 5 seasons