Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Washington gone

Comments

• Options
    If Jacko was still manager I would be less concerned as I would assume it was part of his plan. But whose plan is it part of? There are reasons for and against with Washington, but it should be in the hands of the person who picks the team and tactics.
  • Options
    No one likes a tittletattle...

The thing that confuses me is, Jackson knew he was down the road if he didn’t finish 8th.

if 8th was still possible then they were making sure 8th was achieved before signing JJs players and if it wasn’t possible then there was no secret we were getting a new manager 
  • Options
    No one likes a tittletattle...

The thing that confuses me is, Jackson knew he was down the road if he didn’t finish 8th.

if 8th was still possible then they were making sure 8th was achieved before signing JJs players and if it wasn’t possible then there was no secret we were getting a new manager 
    I honestly believe Jackson was toast if we finished 8th, it would have just cost Thomas more. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Mixed feelings;

Not unhappy he has gone as he was bang average and not a striker to get you promoted. However if Davison is his replacement next season and the club feel he is ready to lead the line its a woeful decision as Wash is better than Davison.

As others have said if our new manager attracts high caliber strikers then Wash will be forgotten in a heartbeat.

Have to laugh at some of the comments on here thought, if I had a pound for every "fuck the lot of them" "sack em all" I have never felt so disconnected with this squad" "none of the eleven are fit to wear the shirt" and then when we do get rid of them there is outcry.

CL at its best 
    Or alternatively, the "sack em all" posters and those making vocal outcry now, aren't actually the same people...
    I haven't got the willpower to check, could you look into it and put together a spread sheet being admin?

:):):):smile:  
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    ct_addick said:
    I don't know what people are watching sometimes. He is one player who always put a shift in. 11 goals will be hard to replace. I would have kept him even just to come on as a sub for when the opposition are tiring. I have little faith in the people making these decisions including Gallen.
    It shouldn't be for your starting striker
    A lot of people are forgetting that under Adkins he was the wide left forward in a 433, it clearly didn't suit him (not that it suited many of that squad) but I'd be willing to bet he'd have a few more if he was playing in a front 2 alongside Stockley all season.
  • Options
    Noticed that Conor Washington 'liked' this tweet...
    Wow.. respect Washington for this.. MS loose lips sink ships!! 

TS is putting himself under a lot of pressure now.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even if all of that business with JJ happened as relayed/imagined, why would they be letting go of him purely because of it? That's a total supposition and an unhelpful one to boot 
  • Options

If they have let him go in a fit of pique because they (MS) messed up and he's been put in an awkward position then they are not fit managers.

You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Even if, for football reasons, you feel it was right to not offer him a new contract to do so because he made the owners' son look silly is madness and worst, bad business.
    So is that you suspicion of what has happened here then Hennners?
  • Options
    What's MORE concerning is that Washington was asking MS about his contract. 

SURELY he isn't in charge of making those decisions.....
  • Options

IF this did happen and Washington did give Jacko the heads up that speaks of good loyalty to Jackson and decent character.  Would find it snidey in fact if a player was given that info and sat on it for own self interests.  

I really get on with my boss and if the firm said to me on the sly you won't be getting your bonus because your new manager might not rate you I'd be telling my boss that his job was at risk as well as having the hump with the company for not valuing me which is essentially what was implied to Washington. 

Massively amateurish if this did happen by lack of judgement or more concerning if done by design.

Such an odd club at times. Wish we just did things properly and not in a snooker loopy way.

i said this earlier and ill say it again

Jackson knew he was down the road if he didn’t finish 8th.

if 8th was still possible then they were making sure 8th was achieved before signing JJs players (which is fair as we never looked like finishing 8th) and if it wasn’t possible then there was no secret we were getting a new manager 

your comparison about bonus' are moot as the aren't even slightly comparable 
  • Options

If they have let him go in a fit of pique because they (MS) messed up and he's been put in an awkward position then they are not fit managers.

You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Even if, for football reasons, you feel it was right to not offer him a new contract to do so because he made the owners' son look silly is madness and worst, bad business.
    So is that you suspicion of what has happened here then Hennners?
    Yes
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ok cheers HI, that’s really disappointing if that was the case. All football hires and fires should be football based unless a player does something unpalatable. This clearly wasn’t.

My only challenge is if CW was really wanted for next season, negotiations, offers etc would have progressed long before the last week of the season. 
  • Options
    It could be some element of coincidence, but it makes sense that the incident relating to MS leaking to a player that there'd be a new manager relates to Washington.

He was a senior player and would likely have more loyalty to JJ than any of the execs. Probably ended up with his card being marked and affected any chance of a potential contract offer. I think that if this hadn't have happened, it'd have been considerably more likely he would have had another 1 year contract. They probably weighed it all up and thought they could get someone else of equal value.

We now need two mobile strikers imo, rather than any more target men. If we don't replace in the similar mould, there's going to be games next season that cry out for the type of runs he made. He wasn't amazing, but I fear we won't recruit better.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It makes sense whilst letting Washington go and not asking him to wait for the new manager doesn't. He is a player you could make a strong case for keeping so it should be down to the manager 100%.
  • Options
    Ok cheers HI, that’s really disappointing if that was the case. All football hires and fires should be football based unless a player does something u palatable. This clearly was t. 

My only challenge is if CW was really wanted for next season, negotiations, offers etc would have progressed long before the last week of the season. 
    Not if the sub-text was releasing JJ and needing to await that outcome to progress what the recruitment team wanted and did not want. I believe those staying were in the same boat as those that have been released…
  • Options
    Doubt we’ll get better value for money 

Think he was on a big ticket, he certainly wasn't that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not in the know in any way, but it seems age has been a major factor in decisions here. Conor turns 30 next week, and whilst not old that's certainly moving into the stages where he's not going to develop much more as a player. Similarly Pearce and Matthews are gone. Inniss is only 26, which I think will have played a part as TS has talked around building a new squad that can be with us for a few years. Wouldn't surprise me if Davison is being given another chance, given impressive performances at Swindon, because of his age (note if that's as 1st, 2nd, maybe even 3rd or 4th choice I think that's lacking ambition). Reckon that's why this Marquis talk is garbage (conscious this could be prime candidate for 'that aged well' post later.)
  • Options
    Ok cheers HI, that’s really disappointing if that was the case. All football hires and fires should be football based unless a player does something unpalatable. This clearly wasn’t.

Yet at the sponsors dinner JFC wasn't aware (or at least that was what he said to me) if the club would take up the one year option.

And if "the club" had already decided not to offer CW a new deal why the "excuse" of mentioning a new manager?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I really, really hope this isn’t the reason we let Conor Washington go. Have a feeling he will finish higher in the league rankings than we do next season…
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I really, really hope this isn’t the reason we let Conor Washington go. Have a feeling he will finish higher in the league rankings than we do next season…
    Unfortunlatey I think it was, and he was asking for a higher wage that TS was willing to offer. 

• Options
    How would we actually know if this was true, other than if Sandgaard specifically told Washington that was the reason when he released him? If that's the case then I would have thought it would have been very public by now
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    What's MORE concerning is that Washington was asking MS about his contract. 

SURELY he isn't in charge of making those decisions.....
    Or more likely MS let Washington know about his contract…… to let him know who is in charge 
  • Options
    It’s now clear that we desperately need a first choice striker who can turn the defenders and have them running towards their own goal line.

Having seen Davison return 9 goals from 21 appearances at Swindon (and his contract extension), I’m hopeful he’ll be an effective back-up to whoever is coming in.

Davison and Washington have similar work ethics without being profilic scorers so I can see the logic if we only ever planned for CW to be a back-up.

But please please do not play Davison as a target man. If he gets a dozen or so starts next year (through an injury or suspension), he has to be playing alongside Stockley or Chuks.
    Not feeling so good about this now. Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking of my part.

Unfortunately, it’s starting to look like we’re going to need two (ideally three) strikers to compete with Stockley and Aneke.

Letting Washington move on is making less and less sense.
  • Options
    You want to get promoted you need Championship players. He wasn't. Liked his energy and commitment, though.