Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jubilee Celebrations 2022

Comments

• Options
    Remarkable lack of interest here in Canada. Yes it's being covered by all the news channels but no events are being held to commemorate the occasion.

• Options
    I am a monarchist and love to see these Royal occasions, watching the Queen on the balcony with her great grandchildren yesterday was lovely. The Queen is an amazing woman whose dedication and service to the country is without equal.   
    Oh, I dunno, mine's pretty good.
    I once sung England songs for so long and so loudly during Euro 2004 that three French blokes in the pub I was in, in Paris, decided to change their support from Portugal to England.
  • Options
    Whatever your feelings about the monarchy, this definitely feels like the end of an era, the last such occasion for Queen Elizabeth.
  • Options
    We went to Whistable today. Lots of bunting about. There’s something very traditionally British about the seaside.
  • Options
    In Spain and there has been a lot of coverage of it. Just wanted to pass on a view outside of the UK. 
    Yeah, was only joking mate 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Monarchy is illogical, and yet it remains the best approach. This weekend demonstrates the best of Britishness. Other countries look from afar and consider their republicanism. And realise that we have something unique and special. GSTQ.

I've always tried to pretend I'm a rock&roll anarchist...but it is rather embarrassing, self centered, one dimensional an not really the right way to think. I was pretending that I knew what I was talking about. The rebel Dave.

The royal family needs to stay and must continue for centuries. It is a global attraction that makes loads of money. It has a lot of valued historic worth. It is best to keep playing it safe and allow it to carry on so it continues to light up our economy and keep the grass green. 

It will improve when Andrew receives his inevitable karma...of being a stupid arrogant embarrassing c*nt. Hopefully, that can be resolved and without the queen feeling any pain towards a son that she quite obviously loves very much.

• Options
    Wearing my most patriotic shirt 

• Options
    edited June 2022
    It's been a fantastic couple of days for me - local village hall had  party yesterday and I've just got back from one a few miles away today. Whether or not you're a Royalist, I think everybody at these events just relishes the opportunity to kick back, have a laugh, have a few beers, listen to some great bands (I'm on tomorrow lol!). I noticed at the one today that quite a few people didn't stand for the national anthem or sing along - there's a lot of people not happy about things in the UK at the moment.
  • Options
    One's been on the sherry by the looks of things.
  • Options
    I think its sad that given the events in Ukraine that there isn’t more solidarity amongst us Brits. I think the last few years have taken their toll on everyone, this jubilee celebration is noticeably lower key with less flags etc than 10 years ago. Somewhat weirdly, a couple of weeks ago there were more Ukrainian flags out than Union Jacks. It’s a bit ridiculous really, its almost like we are embarrassed to demonstrate patriotism. The Liverpool fans booing the National Anthem and Abide with me (this second one a bit ridiculous) was really sad for me. Christ the country is small enough as it is and if we all carry grudges about previous regional slights - how far do we go back , Tolpuddle Martyrs, Peterloo Masacre, Wargrave miners - we can all be at it. When I was a kid and a student I was solidly republican but I am a monarchist now because they have to do the job out of history and duty. They don't have a political axe to grind. If we have a President instead they are all politicians and inevitably do it because they love themselves. The Royals do it because they have to. 
    Anyway, We have our village bash on Sunday and it will be c 300 of us and there will be lots of bunting and patriotic stuff - who knows we might all have to sheepishly sing the national anthem while pretending not to look at the person next to us - funny people aren’t we ? 
  • Options
    And I made the sausage rolls. Been doing really well on my diet but think it’s going to get a bit of a kicking tomorrow 

• Options
    We went to Whistable today. Lots of bunting about. There’s something very traditionally British about the seaside.
    We are in Cornwall, weather fantastic so last two days on the beach, never seen so many windbreaks decked out in Union Jack bunting 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    And I made the sausage rolls. Been doing really well on my diet but think it’s going to get a bit of a kicking tomorrow 

Polish off about 5 straight out the oven before they cooled, then spend the rest of the night with heart burn.

My favourite though 👍🇬🇧
  • Options

mmm....would definitely burn my tongue and the roof of my mouth on them...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

mmm....would definitely burn my tongue and the roof of my mouth on them...
    Way ahead of you mate, couldn’t wait for them to cool down (had to test one of course)
  • Options
    One?
  • Options
    My daughter’s made a cake for the street party tomorrow. The soldiers are the ones that were used as decoration on the cake they made for the 1977 Sliver Jubilee street party on the same road (me and a couple of others shared them out at the end of the party)
    That’s brilliant mate 
  • Options
    I think its sad that given the events in Ukraine that there isn’t more solidarity amongst us Brits. I think the last few years have taken their toll on everyone, this jubilee celebration is noticeably lower key with less flags etc than 10 years ago. Somewhat weirdly, a couple of weeks ago there were more Ukrainian flags out than Union Jacks. It’s a bit ridiculous really, its almost like we are embarrassed to demonstrate patriotism. The Liverpool fans booing the National Anthem and Abide with me (this second one a bit ridiculous) was really sad for me. Christ the country is small enough as it is and if we all carry grudges about previous regional slights - how far do we go back , Tolpuddle Martyrs, Peterloo Masacre, Wargrave miners - we can all be at it. When I was a kid and a student I was solidly republican but I am a monarchist now because they have to do the job out of history and duty. They don't have a political axe to grind. If we have a President instead they are all politicians and inevitably do it because they love themselves. The Royals do it because they have to. 
    Anyway, We have our village bash on Sunday and it will be c 300 of us and there will be lots of bunting and patriotic stuff - who knows we might all have to sheepishly sing the national anthem while pretending not to look at the person next to us - funny people aren’t we ? 

We are the island of excessive moaning. I think quite possibly almost every UK citizen is guilty of it in at least some capacity. Certainly myself included.

Nothing is ever good enough for us. The attitude that we have is also of use, because it means that we won't always get walked all over. 

I think deep down, most people are patriotic. We have loads of things to be proud of.

Gotta take the bad with the good and need to minimise being so self righteous. 

The main problem is a lack of care and understanding from the conservative government. They seem to lack genuine motivation to help people who really need the help. They are lost up there own assholes. They can't escape from the force of their own buttocks. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Blackheath yesterday.

Nice to see pictures of my old home area Seth.  Thanks for posting. There used to be short concrete post in the middle of the heath up the Strathedan Road end which we’d use as a wicket.  Wonder if it’s still there half a century later.
  • Options
    Looked a great set list, would loved to have been there.