Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Staff at Charlton being relieved of their duties

Comments

• Options
    I have no idea of the numbers involved in terms of staff let go or how long they had been there but I will say from personal experience they were trying ridiculously hard to sell corporate packages. Up until last week I was getting daily phone calls trying to get me to buy a box for the coming season. I repeated the same thing everytime that I wasnt interested on a box or an annual hospitality package as I only travel down for approx 10 home games a season. My point is the team were obviously being driven hard to make sales and i suspect the end numbers ( being a league one team ) didnt pan out to what was hoped for so i guess this is a reduction as the penny may have dropped that they were flogging a dead donkey
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    cabbles said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    swordfish said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Something seriously wrong here, not sure Jokat doing or TS.. Maybe Jokat couldn't work under the forever moving goalpost!
    Are you able to expand on what might have changed for him during the short period since his arrival? Was it to do with sales targets or job remit?
    I don't know about Jokat, but certainly for Mumford that was the case.. Sounds like Jokat went because he told a certain someone to stop getting involved, in stuff they shouldn't be.. TS took exception to it!
    Still sounds like a bit of a mess behind the scenes if true.  You can’t appoint a COO and then have your other half (however well qualified), in a non formal position sticking their beak in.  That’s not a conducive way to run the club.  Does Raelynn have that sort of say in Zynex?  Part of me think TS still doesn’t understand what he’s bought when I see examples like this.  Appreciate I am only going off of what is said above, but if he wants to offer Raelynn a role, do it properly.  Appoint her as head of HR or whatever role like he has done his lad with Director of Analytics, move her over here and get on with it.  None of this ‘oh, I can dip in and out of decision making, depending on the problem.’ 

I have no idea if Jokat was good, bad or indifferent, but successful businesses are built on appointing senior people and allowing them to lead.  Otherwise, don’t bother.  

When you read of this stuff it gives the impression that it’s a step forward (appointing Garner, new approach etc), quickly followed by a step back.  Seems to be a pattern emerging during his tenure.  

As always, grateful for everything he’s given financially, still feel that he deserves the time only 2 years in, but the execution, from the outside looking in, isn’t great 

Sandgaard capital is described as being a family run office, think you can dress it as, she's a stakeholder, Thomas is the face of it. Dunno, don't have an idea how the top of the corporate food chain works.

In regard to her role (s) at zynex HR and coms as below.

Got all stalker for you @Chris_from_Sidcup

Interesting- good share.  Seems she went from having a full time role to consultancy.  I sell to the world of HR so understand what her role entailed.  There’s nothing wrong with her being employed by him if that’s her job and I don’t doubt her qualifications.  The problem is when you have another, very separate business which we are, and get her/someone to intervene on issues as they crop up.  As per Dubai’s post, Jokat may have got the hump as a result of this, and I expect many other senior apts would.  

I wouldn’t have a problem, on the face of it, based on her qualifications if she had a similar full time role at CAFC, but then it needs to be official.  This is where it will fall down.  

As others have said, it will continue to come across as a bit of a shambles unless the people he appoints (hopefully experienced people that understand how to run a club) are allowed to get on with it 
  • Options
    I wrote on another thread many many months ago that one day, in hindsight, we may see the TS era in a similar light to the RD era...

TS still has credit for taking ESI out of the equation and his intentions are much more positive than the experiment we were under RD, but there are a number of actions that point to the circus returning (if it hasn't already been pitched up for some time).

Thomas, as the bloke that stands near me in the upper CE is prone to shout, "sort it aaahrt"
  • Options
    Wasn’t there comment before that staff act and do differently when TS is out of the country?

Maybe his perception is that staff are not quite good enough and/or reverting to what they have always done and has decided to take more direct action. 

Bold move but as ever until someone else puts in their cash his choice. He is learning stuff no doubt all the time about football, the club and himself. What he admits publicly is not necessarily what he now knows. 

We don’t pay great wages is my understanding so perhaps the quality may always fall short of what he wants. 

Horrible for the individuals of course but you can only hope they find better alternatives. 

Being employed by your own team is a double edged sword I imagine. 

I hope the staff haven’t been spun the horrid HR line   ‘It’s not you being made redundant it’s the role’. That irritates me hugely. 

What next this week ?
  • Options
    I wrote on another thread many many months ago that one day, in hindsight, we may see the TS era in a similar light to the RD era...

TS still has credit for taking ESI out of the equation and his intentions are much more positive than the experiment we were under RD, but there are a number of actions that point to the circus returning (if it hasn't already been pitched up for some time).

Thomas, as the bloke that stands near me in the upper CE is prone to shout, "sort it aaahrt"
    I have written on a couple of threads his wife is too active at the club for my liking and got laughed and shouted at.

Gonna watch this one with interest.
  • Options
    I’ve got no idea whether this is right, but wouldn’t senior management positions (ie HR) have to be accredited accordingly by the appropriate governing body as such - does Mrs Sandgaard have this qualification?? 

As I say, I have no idea whether this is right but surely there’s legal safeguards in place to stop company owners doing things like this? 
    Indeed. The Chartered institute of Personnel and Development, of which I was a Fellow before retiring. The qualification is equivalent to a Masters Degree. 

Just sounds like he is trying to do things on the cheap and on the hoof. Wonder how the club will cope at future Employment Tribunals. 
    Is that true @bolloxbolder

HR managers normally were expected to be CIPD qualified but not sure it was a legal requirement as with doctors or lawyers?

And is my CIPD diploma equivalent to a masters?  Never knew that but if true I'm smarter than I thought : - 0
    Anyone can work in HR and give themselves any title they want. CIPD is a personal choice on the career development path.
    Yeah, there’s a chancer who gets on here who blagged a role at B365.
  • Options
    When George phoned me last week he said over 7000 season tickets have been sold.
    Most of the non football operation seems to have no impact on me. I turn up, take my seat, experience the match.
    Apart from those humans I encounter directly at the ticket office, and Mick Everett, I have been unimpressed by the rest of them and have little to do with them.
    I did think George was OK.
  • Options
    People say about Raelynn not having an official role but I think it’s becoming growingly clear she is now heavily engaged and having a wide impact on the decision making behind the scenes.

Not automatically saying that’s a bad thing, she could be amazing for all I know and it could be a huge benefit for the club. We’ll see in the medium term.

But for a multi-million pound business Charlton structurally is increasingly looking a complete mess. 

Bar Gallen, there is absolutely no real senior experience in the structure now and no one to effectively upward challenge. His son has a background of production manager in his medical business is now a key part of the football recruitment arm , and his partner with a background in psychology and child mindfulness is now heavily involved in the running of the non-football business.

From the outside, the impression is square pegs look like they’re being forced into round holes. Any senior appointments outside of family just aren’t lasting. And the number of employees that actually genuinely care about the club seems to be shrinking quite quickly. 

This could all be over-dramatised but objectively it’s not looking very professional or progressive. 
    I think we've just found out why TS bought us. Raelynn's now got her plaything & TS can slink away and cut some more vinyl ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Worrying from the point of view of the culture of the club. Sounds brutal and the opposite of what a community club should be.

I'm sure if BenBall follows PepBail to the pinnacle of English football, there will be few complaints, but it's hard to support people being treated like this. 
  • Options
    How many non-playing staff did we have at the height of the prem days, say 2005-ish? I think I recall someone on here saying it was around 400-500. How many do we have these days, it cant be more then 50-70 I reckon?

Not a commentary on the current staffing issues, just curious about the comparison. 
  • Options
    I don't even know what to say anymore.

Suffice to say, my views are unchanged.
  • Options
    Would be very amused to witness TS/RM dealing with a staff strike. I'd get popcorn and all
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    CAFCTrev said:
    How many non-playing staff did we have at the height of the prem days, say 2005-ish? I think I recall someone on here saying it was around 400-500. How many do we have these days, it cant be more then 50-70 I reckon?

Not a commentary on the current staffing issues, just curious about the comparison. 

• Options
    I can only suggest the workers at Charlton join a Trade Union if they’re not in one already.
    Or organise to resist.
    Are we in P&O territory with this?
    Personally I would love Charlton Athletic to be a wellspring of industrial action within football.
    How much do stewards get paid per hour to be abused?
  • Options
    I’ve got no idea whether this is right, but wouldn’t senior management positions (ie HR) have to be accredited accordingly by the appropriate governing body as such - does Mrs Sandgaard have this qualification?? 

As I say, I have no idea whether this is right but surely there’s legal safeguards in place to stop company owners doing things like this? 
    Indeed. The Chartered institute of Personnel and Development, of which I was a Fellow before retiring. The qualification is equivalent to a Masters Degree. 

Just sounds like he is trying to do things on the cheap and on the hoof. Wonder how the club will cope at future Employment Tribunals. 

HR managers normally were expected to be CIPD qualified but not sure it was a legal requirement as with doctors or lawyers?

And is my CIPD diploma equivalent to a masters?  Never knew that but if true I'm smarter than I thought : - 0
    No it's not a legal requirement. Like you say expected at senior level but not essential. Unlike lawyers, there is also no requirement to keep up with the CIPD membership on a yearly basis either. 

CIPD Level 7 is equivalent to a Masters, Level 5 is an Undergraduate Degree. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Looks like burger boy has got a massive job according to the latest accounts. No wonder they cant get rid of him.

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    swordfish said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Something seriously wrong here, not sure Jokat doing or TS.. Maybe Jokat couldn't work under the forever moving goalpost!
    Are you able to expand on what might have changed for him during the short period since his arrival? Was it to do with sales targets or job remit?
    I don't know about Jokat, but certainly for Mumford that was the case.. Sounds like Jokat went because he told a certain someone to stop getting involved, in stuff they shouldn't be.. TS took exception to it!
    Is TS the certain someone?
    If not who is?
    Why can't people either say what they know or just not say it?
    Raelynn
    We'd all like to know why she is getting so involved in stuff. Writing emails to the Womens FA on behalf of the club is a bit strange for the 'gf' of the owner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I think you’re counting stewards…
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I think you’re counting stewards…
    ...and the loyal supporters (the rest were plastics).
  • Options
    I’m not usually short of an opinion but quite honestly I don’t know what to think. Best wishes go to those looking for new jobs. 
  • Options
    Do we actually know the number of staff who have been let go? Maybe we should wait for facts before piling on. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Do we actually know the number of staff who have been let go? Maybe we should wait for facts before piling on. 
    you do understand how the internet works don't you?  ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCTrev said:

I know this is supposed to be a serious thread, but 'Casual staff?' 🤣 That description always amuses me. Makes it sound as though they rock up in civvies when they feel like it and sit with their feet up cracking jokes 😎

Where I used to work, we had 'Spare Men' listed as a role on the staffing complement. How times have changed.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Sorry I wasn't saying you had to have the qualification to work in HR but any senior role is bound to ask for it on the job spec. 

On the qualifications, that's what I was told when achieved it in 1993.
  • Options

No it's not a legal requirement. Like you say expected at senior level but not essential. Unlike lawyers, there is also no requirement to keep up with the CIPD membership on a yearly basis either. 

CIPD Level 7 is equivalent to a Masters, Level 5 is an Undergraduate Degree. 
    I did my Diploma early 90s so before the link to the national framework so where would it sit now @cafcfan1990 ?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    In the region of a double figure